Quarterly Producer Letter for Q2 2024 ×

Why Are Dye Modules Destroyed Upon Removal?

clyngh

Hey,

So... I was dismayed and perplexed to discover that for some reason when you remove a dye module from a piece of clothing instead of placing it back in your inventory apparently Bioware made the curious choice to force you to destroy it instead. I don't know why you can't switch out "looks" for your character from the dye's you've accumulated (as in GW2) but am curious if anybody out there has any idea as to what their rationale might be.

They are consumables.

But the correct answer -- or the one you be looking for -- is that Bioware just wants to nickel and dime people as much as possible.

Hence, a 2000 CC dye can and WILL be destroyed upon removal, instead of tucked away like mods or augments.

Edited by Darth_Wicked

They are consumables.

But the correct answer -- or the one you be looking for -- is that Bioware just wants to nickel and dime people as much as possible.

Hence, a 2000 CC dye can and WILL be destroyed upon removal, instead of tucked away like mods or augments.

Yeah i go with this one, or what he said.

:mad: lousy BW

Money sink.

Selling singe use dyes for 2000cc (and people actually paying that much for them) is frankly psychotic. I won't pay that unless it is a legacy unlock or craft schematic. EVER.

And the only MMO to have this stupid restriction.

Edited by DarthVengeant

This is not an apology, because I also prefer the GW2 "dye unlocks for entire account" method. But remember that when the game launched they didn't even have dyes. Brown robes were always brown, troopers looked like they dressed in a pile of random armor parts, lack of adaptive armors made it difficult to create and keep a "look" for very long, and Empire toons looked like black leather badazz while Republic was all clowns and monks.

So while the improvements only went halfway as far as they should have, it's still better than it was.

• Like 1

Because they are a necessary and much needed money sink.

Because it does not stand to reason that you can remove paint from one item and then apply it to another. (go ahead, experiment with your moms minivan/suv and your dads midlife crisis Porsche)

Because dyes were added to crafters repetoir and so needs to be a consumable for a market to remain.

Etc.

This is not a single player game. Its an MMO. In an MMO things need to be thought of on how they affect an entire system and not just a single character. The entire system is diminished if dyes are re-usable. The system benefits when they are consumable. Thus they are consumed on use.

If you are complaining that a really unnecessary but aesthetically pleasing dye costs too much money, then remember that it is an unnecessary item that in no way affects your in game performance, just may tickle your I want to be fancy inner fashion designer.

You have a choice, you can make it, but making dyes re-usable is not the answer.

Because it does not stand to reason that you can remove paint from one item and then apply it to another. (go ahead, experiment with your moms minivan/suv and your dads midlife crisis Porsche)

Well, in that case, I'm glad that you can construct your own lightsaber in 4th period shop class and have that sweet Corellian Corvette with a new hyperdrive to get to school. Oh wait, its a game. Those things don't exist either. Well how about that?

As far as rational arguments go, having a money sink is one way to help keep the game afloat. 2000CC for a one time use due is ridiculous, but if people will pay it, they will charge it.

I pretty much just use dyes I can buy on the GTN though. I would be more inclined to use the more expensive dyes if they were account unlocks/added to collections, though.

Edited by mujrimSW

Because dyes were added to crafters repetoir and so needs to be a consumable for a market to remain.

Etc.

This is not a single player game. Its an MMO. In an MMO things need to be thought of on how they affect an entire system and not just a single character. The entire system is diminished if dyes are re-usable. The system benefits when they are consumable. Thus they are consumed on use.

If you are complaining that a really unnecessary but aesthetically pleasing dye costs too much money, then remember that it is an unnecessary item that in no way affects your in game performance, just may tickle your I want to be fancy inner fashion designer.

You have a choice, you can make it, but making dyes re-usable is not the answer.

^^ This. Besides, its not 'real' money, unless you are buying cartel coins to purchase dyes. If you are, that is your choice. Of course, you could always just craft your own if you don't want to pony up credits and you have the patience.

Try dyeing one of your own shirts sometime. Then come tell us how easy it is to recover and reuse the dye.

These explanations are dumb lol. It's probably similar difficulty to take a barrel off one gun and put it on another to make it more powerful. Or how you can magically put a piece of cloth on one toon and have it be heavy armor and it magically become light armor when you put it on another. Logic doesn't apply so give up that nonsense.

But yeah it is strictly to make money off the cartel market when they spring the black and white dyes on us every couple months. However, in bioware's defense, which is rare for me these days of lag and bugs galore, everything can be bought on the GTN so it doesn't bother me. If I need a black dye I just bye it with credits and let some other schmuck use cartel coins to get them.

These explanations are dumb lol. It's probably similar difficulty to take a barrel off one gun and put it on another to make it more powerful.

No, it isn't. Rechambering a gun to another (often more powerful) caliber is relatively routine gunsmithing. Recovering a dye from a piece of clothing and using it to dye another is impossible at worst and impractical at best, because the dye has chemically bonded to the fabric.

BTW, some guns can be had with multiple barrels, each for a different caliber.

Edited by BuriDogshin

Try dyeing one of your own shirts sometime. Then come tell us how easy it is to recover and reuse the dye.

When one of your characters dies while playing the game, do you log out and delete them by any chance?

Dead SHOULD BE dead, right?

Edited by Darth_Wicked

No, it isn't. Rechambering a gun to another (often more powerful) caliber is relatively routine gunsmithing. Recovering a dye from a piece of clothing and using it to dye another is impossible at worst and impractical at best, because the dye has chemically bonded to the fabric.

This is a science fantasy universe (heavy on the "fantasy"). They could have made dyes reusable, they simply chose not to. But the more reasonable assumption is that they would not be reusable so it always baffles me when threads like this crop up.

This is not an apology, because I also prefer the GW2 "dye unlocks for entire account" method. But remember that when the game launched they didn't even have dyes. Brown robes were always brown, troopers looked like they dressed in a pile of random armor parts, lack of adaptive armors made it difficult to create and keep a "look" for very long, and Empire toons looked like black leather badazz while Republic was all clowns and monks.

So while the improvements only went halfway as far as they should have, it's still better than it was.

Unfortunately a lot of armor sets are still fundamentally broken due to the use of tertiary and quaternary colors, which cannot be dyed. Examples: traditional thermoweave set, commando elite set (both crafted).

Unfortunately, they have made dying armor mandatory.

How so? Half of my characters don't have any dye in their armors, and they look pretty good too.

Hey,

So... I was dismayed and perplexed to discover that for some reason when you remove a dye module from a piece of clothing instead of placing it back in your inventory apparently Bioware made the curious choice to force you to destroy it instead. I don't know why you can't switch out "looks" for your character from the dye's you've accumulated (as in GW2) but am curious if anybody out there has any idea as to what their rationale might be.

Get out a pair of jeans and remove the blue dye.

Then post.

Unfortunately a lot of armor sets are still fundamentally broken due to the use of tertiary and quaternary colors, which cannot be dyed. Examples: traditional thermoweave set, commando elite set (both crafted).

"Ugly" (in your, my, every other player's opinion) does not mean "broken." This game is full of, IMO, really ugly armor. But I don't think it's because the armor is broken or bugged. In fact, even more inexplicably, they did it that way on purpose.

Get out a pair of jeans and remove the blue dye.

Then post.

Right after you post your explanation of the RL technology allowing communication instantly across interstellar distances.

Edited by branmakmuffin

BTW, some guns can be had with multiple barrels, each for a different caliber.

Yes ignore the rest of the post. But I'm sure blacksmiths around the world are hard at work switching the barrels of all the laser guns in circulation whenever the owner gets a new one after killing Revan. It's also a good thing dyes in the galactic star fighter are able to be switched at will once you get one. I guess they just keep ripping that paint off and gluing it back on when they feel like reusing it? I mean if we have to be completely logical about it and everything.

The point is it's a video game based on science fiction not real life so rationalizing a dye's number of uses is dumb.

Edited by Keypek

LOL.. this again.

/sits down with popcorn and watches the hyperbolic rinse and repeat of the flogging of the horse.

The answer to the question ------> because Bioware chose to do it that way.

I know.. I know.. not the answer the entitled are looking for, but it is the relevant fact of the matter.

Edited by Andryah

LOL.. this again.

/sits down with popcorn and watches the hyperbolic rinse and repeat of the flogging of the horse.

The answer to the question ------> because Bioware chose to do it that way.

I know.. I know.. not the answer the entitled are looking for, but it is the relevant fact of the matter.

And the reason they chose to do it that way is to maximize revenue, which while that decision may be at odds with the desires of the player base, it is the rational choice given the reason for the game's existence is to generate returns on investment for EA.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.