GTN pricing and undercutters

jstankaroslo

But to what purpose?

Was it to find out why folks undercut in the way indicated? I think that was answered long ago.

Was it to spurn discussion on the practice? it is certainly a topic worth discussion, but I would have presented the topic in a manner that was a bit more forward....at any rate, there is a conversation to be had between sellers as to why this might be a bad practice for all of us.

Instead the discussion is dominated with "that is how the market works", a result of the OP.

If the purpose was to complain, it seems to me that it might be more fruitful if a discussion was had to try and convince sellers of the folly of this kind of behavior. But then I digress.

was just amazed and little annoyed. Was wandering if my feelings are shared by other players, or if it is normal behaviour. That sort of things. I guess these are normal reasons for posting on forums?

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

was just amazed and little annoyed. Was wandering if my feelings are shared by other players, or if it is normal behaviour. That sort of things. I guess these are normal reasons for posting on forums?

Some people play the GTN in a more serious way, others just wanna make a quick buck. You are part of the group who wants to maximise profit, albeit at what you consider a fair price, other people just want some cash quick.

There are lots of people like that. Maybe they want to buy something and they want it NAO!! So they have an item that your priced at 500k and they want 100k to get what they want. Are they gonna set it at 495k and hope a buyer might get it or will they entice someone by buying it more quickly by pricing it a 200k. You gotta understand, fair market price or not, 200k would still be more than he wanted originally. Your 500k price only makes it easier to sell it for more than he wants for it and makes it a quicker sale because he undercuts you by so much, making people believe it's a great price.

People want different things. Nothing strange about that. You may think they're stupid for doing so, but guess what, they're happy to sell at those prices and you are unhappy because they are lowering the price people might be willing to pay for the items you are trying to sell. So who's better off then really?

When you really play the GTN you have to be willing to invest as well. Depending on how far they undercut you, you may have to consider buying it and reselling it for more. I mean if you are sure you can sell it at those prices why not make a profit off him instead? It's all about what you want to get out of it and how much you want to play the market. It still is a free market, annoying as that may be sometimes ;)

undercutting only hurts the undercutter...unless of course the prices are already way too high?

i always undercut, sometimes by a lot. you may enjoy trying to maximize your margin but i'd rather sell an item fast for 100k than wait a week or two and sell it for 200k. credits are pretty meaningless in this game and are easy to come by.

people that get upset about undercutting need to step outside i think.

As for the suggestion about farming my own stuff. I already do. I farm for everything. That's where I come up with my calculations for how much you end up paying by the time one of your toons scores a crit on their mission.

This doesn't scan.

Your earlier post listed a cost of "37K - 40K for the purple mat". That's based on buying them on the GTN, not farming them yourself.

The average cost per purple mat from farming is 4k each.

This doesn't scan.

Your earlier post listed a cost of "37K - 40K for the purple mat". That's based on buying them on the GTN, not farming them yourself.

If you send your minions to do jobs, they don't always come back with purples. You have to send them out repeatedly. In the mean time you pile up a mountain of blues. By the time you get any purples, you have spent tens of thousands.

If you're talking about the mission discoveries, first you got to buy one of those - if you don't farm for those. They range from 35,000 - 100,000 depending on the crew skill. Then you pay the 4k to 5k for the mission - on top of what you pay to buy the mission discovery.

If you farm your own mission discoveries, you still have to send your minion out repeatedly before you get a hit. You'd have spent 10's of K's before you got a hit.

My estimations do compute.

Edited by WorldSmasher

Well, you certainly do not need my permission. You can post anything you wish naturally. I didn't mean to indicate otherwise....

This doesn't scan.

Sorry but your also forgettng to add value to your time. If I can make (as an example) 200k in an hour doing dailies then that sets a price on my time of 200k an hour. Add that into your time of getting your mats and see what they are worth. The arguement of "well I have my companions do the work for me while I do dailies" doesnt work either. You wont get enough to make it worth your while. If you want to have a consistant supply of items to sell you have to buy from the GTN. You wont have enough purples otherwise.

Edited by Gobgrot

The time value is a problem though, mainly because we can do dailies. Now, if a person wants to assign a credit value to time, how much would that be? Especially considering different game activities generate different levels of revenue.

Here is an example. I run Black Hole per character, it costs me around 15 minutes each toon, 8 toons....2 hours total.

That money (360k) allows me to run about 2 full sets of missions on all 8 toons (96 missions total or so), which usually nets me about a stack of crafting mats, around one stack of the actual mats (each one), and around a half a stack of blues and maybe 5 to 10 purples. That is six missions each toon, 96 missions total. Naturally it depends on which crew skills I have.

Now, during this time I am gathering, perhaps running missions, etc. This takes about 1.5 hours of time.

So, for 3.5 to 4 hours of investment I have one stack of crafting mats (which can save me 90k or so) and all of my mats, which cost me 360k in credits or so.

Now, I have spent 360k. I can make an average of 40 to 50 kits with the materials I have, depending on crits.

Those kits sell for around 45k on the low end, so I earn 2250000 credits....ONE THE LOW END.

That is for 4 hours of work. A 500 percent profit or so. Obviously it is a good investment for 4 hours of total work.

Based on Black Hole runs, my time is worth about 180k an hour. Even by time investment, not considering the extra mats and coin I get while running around during the crew mission time period, I am "spending" between 500 to 600k, which still leaves a rather hefty profit.

I look at it as cost zero. I can not earn that much coin just running dailies. The best, most profitable time spent is gathering and crafting time, as long as I run a solid block of dailies first to get the capital I need.

Now, if someone posts kits for 70k (common) and I post for 45k, am I posting below cost?

In order to post below cost, I would have to post the kits for between sub 7200 and 14400 respectively. Obviously not.

Costs for materials, crafting mats and time are often inflated to justify prices that are astronomical. Most of the time folks build in profit margins of 1000 percent or more.

Nothing wrong with that, but there is something wrong with claiming someone undercutting by 30 or 40 percent from those obviously inflated prices is doing something wrong....it is like I said before.

Buyers set the price. Not sellers.

If you want to have a consistant supply of items to sell you have to buy from the GTN. You wont have enough purples otherwise.

That's understandable. If you're low on purple mats and don't want to wait for crew mission results, buying the mats on the GTN is perfectly reasonable.

Just don't be surprised that others can undercut you below YOUR cost, and still make a profit because it's still above their own cost obtained through farming.

Edited by Khevar

You clearly don't know how much times you have to send your companion to get 1 purple mat. Specially Slicing.

Au contraire, monsieur. I know EXACTLY how many times you have to send out a companion to get purple mats.

If you send your minions to do jobs, they don't always come back with purples. You have to send them out repeatedly. In the mean time you pile up a mountain of blues. By the time you get any purples, you have spent tens of thousands.

My estimations do compute.

While I was logging crew missions, I ran 230 Bountiful and 212 Rich for purple mats.

Total cost was 1,688,330cr

31 failed returning nothing

320 returned only blue mats

91 were critical results, returning blues and purples

I received:

3,036 blues

232 purples

The blues sell for 250cr at the vendor, defraying the total cost by 759,000cr

Final tally, 929,330cr / 232 purples = 4,005cr each.

Edited by Khevar

Au contraire, monsieur. I know EXACTLY how many times you have to send out a companion to get purple mats.

While I was logging crew missions, I ran 230 Bountiful and 212 Rich for purple mats.

I received:

3,036 blues

232 purples

I see you let the inner accountant come out. Nice job by the way.

I received:

3,036 blues

232 purples

Are you really just vendoring them, rather than listing them?

Edited by Holocron

Are you really just vendoring them, rather than listing them?

It depends on the listing price at the time. For example, Trimantium is currently selling for 265cr each on BG. Once you subtract the 6% GTN fee, that comes out to 249cr each, less than the vendor cost.

:/

For the purposes of "cost to acquire purples", I figured I'd use the vendor price.

Edited by Khevar

I received:

3,036 blues

232 purples

:D

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.