GTN pricing and undercutters

jstankaroslo

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Perhaps, but there's no reason for it. They'll get the same chance for a sale if they undercut by 1 credit or 5000. So why pick the latter and deny themselves profit?

So from here on out, you'll take the time to check every item you want to buy on the GTN for a piece that's 1 credit more expensive, all because of me? I'm flattered. But even if you do, it's immaterial, because someone else will always buy mine - so long as it's the cheapest on the list.

And so the question remains: why should I possibly undercut by more than that one credit? Why should any augment seller for that matter? There's nothing to lose (the augments will sell regardless), and everything to gain (more credits).

I don't think your contention is accurate as various max level characters have different levels of credits, so to some an extra 50k might be meaningful.

Since last week (does it have to do with the cartel packs sale?) I see the weirdest stuff on the GTN. I make my millions mainly by buying cheap and re-selling with a moderate plus. At the moment, we have stuff that is for example like this:

1st seller: 275.000

2nd: 250.000

3rd: 245.000

4th: 242.500

5th: 105.000

6th: 100.000

7th: 95.000

8th: 18.000

9th: 16.000

10th: 15.000

I don't understand the 5th and the 8th one. I mean, thanks a lot. I buy the three cheapest and re-sell them for 90.000 and make easy credits. But why? Even if they need the credits fast: That stuff sells for 50.000 immediately as well. It seems just pointless.

Since last week (does it have to do with the cartel packs sale?) I see the weirdest stuff on the GTN. I make my millions mainly by buying cheap and re-selling with a moderate plus. At the moment, we have stuff that is for example like this:

I don't understand the 5th and the 8th one. I mean, thanks a lot. I buy the three cheapest and re-sell them for 90.000 and make easy credits. But why? Even if they need the credits fast: That stuff sells for 50.000 immediately as well. It seems just pointless.

credit sellers..

I normally undercut by 5.5% to prevent any incentive for someone to buy and relist at the next highest price, depending on the item and price of course.

Most things I sell regularly I know the usual price it will go for so if the usual price is say 50k and the current lowest price is 100k then Ill throw it out there for 60k. Higher than usual but that just reflects the current supply/demand situation. In my experience the 100k stuff will just sit there and never be sold but the 60k probably will.

Edited by HelinCarnate

What bothers me is that there are idiots that sell items for less than the cost of the mats. A purple mat that cost 40,000 to buy on GTN, or maybe after spending 25,000 to 75,000 sending companions on missions for a chance to get a purple mat. Then use that mat to make a purple item, then selling that item for 7,000! That doesn't even include the cost of the other mats!

It drives me crazy when I see that. I'm figuring there's about 47K to 50K worth in mats. It's about 6K for the green mats and the white mats, and about 4K for the blue mats, and then about 37K - 40K for the purple mat. That's something near to 47,000 to 50,000 to make the purple item. That's what it costs the manufacturer. Then he goes and sells it for 7000!

Bah! How are you suppose to make money with idiots like that ruining the market?!?!?

Bah! How are you suppose to make money with idiots like that ruining the market?!?!?

Buy their stuff and re-list for what you think is the right price. If you are not willing to do that, then the price is not, in your eyes, too low. IOW, you are not willing to put your virtual money where your pixel mouth is.

It drives me crazy when I see that. I'm figuring there's about 47K to 50K worth in mats. It's about 6K for the green mats and the white mats, and about 4K for the blue mats, and then about 37K - 40K for the purple mat.

I highly recommend running crew missions for your own purple mats.

The average cost per purple grade 11 mat is 4000cr each, (running Bountiful / Rich missions, and vendoring excess blues).

Buy their stuff and re-list for what you think is the right price. If you are not willing to do that, then the price is not, in your eyes, too low. IOW, you are not willing to put your virtual money where your pixel mouth is.

This argument is lost on the folks who just want to rage about markets they don't understand.

The average cost per purple grade 11 mat is 4000cr each, (running Bountiful / Rich missions, and vendoring excess blues).

That is the way to go. I keep my blues though because I craft gear and those not augged go on GTN . It is also better to farm your own mats. Even if you don't have the time for that use missions.

Now that I've come back to SWTOR, I've been trying to make some money on the auction house. I've had some trouble with selling crafted items that another player watches all the time, he/she places 6 hour bids about every 3 hours. I've ended up slashing my prices a lot to get the player to finally let me sell my stuff off. I suppose there are all kinds of playstyles, and some people prefer to spend their time playing the auction house. I suppose I should try and find things to sell that are getting less scrutiny. :)

depends on what it is they are trying to sell at those prices.... it could be that 1-7 are just price gougers and are charging way too much so they are just sitting there and the 8-10 are the real prices and are selling a lot faster so you see fewer of them..

An item is only worth what the buyer is willing to pay. End of story. GG.

Dath. Rancor is selling up to 20 mil on my server. Do I think that's fair? No, not really. I had 8 of them. I wanted them sold. I priced accordingly and I most certainly undercut every seller on the market. That's why my 8 sold whereas the other sellers are sitting there, hoping. Meanwhile, I have 80 mil in my pocket. Will the other rancors sell? Some, yes. Most certainly. Have I destroyed or ruined the economy? No. Will someone buy a rancor at 20 mil? Maybe. That depends on the supply. In the end, the GTN is a game. That's why I love it.

We can sit here all day and argue over "ruining" the GTN economy. However, supply and demand is a funny thing. I once told a man (AFK, or IRL) "Hey, so and so is selling X product $10 cheaper!" He looked at me and said "Good. That means he'll be sold out by midweek and people will buy what I have, as I'm the only vendor that has X, and that's assuming I don't buy him out within the next 10 minutes."

My rancors have been sold for a week now. The same guys are posting their rancors @ 20 mil. Maybe, someday, they'll get that money from a desperate client. Until then, the money is in my pocket, and I will most certainly continue making money, with money, while they sit and hope.

Edited by PublicWifi

Quote: Originally Posted by WorldSmasher View Post

It drives me crazy when I see that. I'm figuring there's about 47K to 50K worth in mats. It's about 6K for the green mats and the white mats, and about 4K for the blue mats, and then about 37K - 40K for the purple mat.

This argument is lost on the folks who just want to rage about markets they don't understand.

The trouble with that is that when you buy out all of the stupidly under-priced items and re-list them at a more appropriate price, they just dump 10 or 20 more of that item at the stupidly too low price. You end up with a ton of merchandise that you can't move.

I bought 10 purple grade medpacs for 1v1 56, at 2000 each. I put them up for 10000 each. Ten minutes later, that guy had 20 more for 2000 each.

As for the suggestion about farming my own stuff. I already do. I farm for everything. That's where I come up with my calculations for how much you end up paying by the time one of your toons scores a crit on their mission.

This is a complaint about a lack of price fixing IMO.

Price fixing in a protected market ends up hurting buyers in the short term and eventually will completely ruin a game market.

Price fixing on the market has no place in an MMO market IMO. Sellers do not need protections, they need to learn how to engage in commerce.

Edited by LordArtemis

Price fixing in a protected market ends up hurting buyers in the short term and eventually will completely ruin a game market.

Price fixing on the market has no place in an MMO market IMO. Sellers do not need protections, they need to learn how to engage in commerce.

That's what I mean! Learn what it costs to make your item, then mark it up to sell it at a cost where you actually MAKE money. Not LOSE money when you sell it for less than what it cost to make!

Hey it worked in the old Soviet Union :eek: It is a game and it isn't like you can add it to your savings. I tried and the bank teller gave me a funny look. The bottom line is you can sell the item for what you want and no one else can stop you. All they can do is come to the forum and make threads about people undercutting them. Oh noes:eek:

I listed 5 Augs 2k undercutting previous price, someone lists 2 augs 1c undercut mine, his 2 sold mine are still sitting, 1 credit makes all difference in the world

Wow you have me convinced. Ok maybe not. If I see something 1 credit less I don't bother. I will buy the one 1 credit higher. Why? Because I can.

exactly that made me create this thread :)

But to what purpose?

Was it to find out why folks undercut in the way indicated? I think that was answered long ago.

Was it to spurn discussion on the practice? it is certainly a topic worth discussion, but I would have presented the topic in a manner that was a bit more forward....at any rate, there is a conversation to be had between sellers as to why this might be a bad practice for all of us.

Instead the discussion is dominated with "that is how the market works", a result of the OP.

If the purpose was to complain, it seems to me that it might be more fruitful if a discussion was had to try and convince sellers of the folly of this kind of behavior. But then I digress.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.