Just admit it already, we tried to tell you, GSF...bad idea to only...

Suromir

What killed GSF interest for me is it was, in my eyes, a half-hearted attempt.

This. I tried it for a couple of weeks, but between the crappy controls (seriously...mouse and keyboard only...?) and lack of deapth compared to what was envisioned of the "Super Secret Space Project" made sure I never looked at it again. At this point, it's probably #1 on my list of wasted dev time and resources. Strongholds only beats it because it lets me fast-travel to my ship without having to wait for fast-travel device cooldowns.

I don't think we need a full SWG-esque flight sim, nor does it need to be like most of the ground content and need some big overarching story. Something, as another player mentioned, like Battlefront II; which probably wouldn't mean major changes to the existing GSF system (as compared to turning it into a full flight sim). Throw in a few group-based missions like space Heroics and that should make the PvE crowd pretty happy (IF Bioware doesn't half-*** it). Controller support would be nice too, but I know Santa has other kids to get to.

Add any PVE to it and many of the existing players will stop playing it anyway, they can't win on this.

I've seen a few people post this. Why? Not being snarky, I'm genuinely curious. I have no interest in ground PvP, but that doesn't make me want to stop playing SWTOR (or any other MMO). And it seems that's how most people operate, otherwise there would probably be a lot fewer MMOs around. Why would the addition of a PvE component to GSF cause existing players to quit playing in GSF-PvP? Space PvE and PvP coexist well enough in STO, and to some small degree in EVE. Why not here?

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

.....Something, as another player mentioned, like Battlefront II; which probably wouldn't mean major changes to the existing GSF system (as compared to turning it into a full flight sim).

And there you go. I think this was the biggest expectation, and they failed to deliver.

BF2 had....

1) Twitchy skill based starfighter combat with a quick respawn system, instanced team play.

2) Your choice of fighter types on the fly, simply land in a bay and choose another to your liking.

3) Capital ship combat, including attacking the ships from space, on foot, manning turrets, defending or attacking key ship system, etc.

4) PVE mode to practice, and also AI controlled capital ships and fighters involved in the battle during multiplayer.

Seriously, if you can pick up a copy of BF2 and play it. Then you will see what a fun space sim is all about IMO...one that Bioware certainly had the capability to deliver, had they not perhaps run out of funds and/or time (speculation).

Edited by LordArtemis

Yup, GSF was doomed, who wants to play a PvP game where:

1) You have no chance to "learn your class aka ship" except while being farmed by experienced players

2) There is no progression, so that all players, brand new and vet play together

It's just lame, it is obvious they either had no clue or simply don't care about the quality of their product.

Almost. I agree with point 1 but point 2 is only partially correct. There is progression via unlocks to make your ship better, however, you are right that brand new and veteran players play together. But that is kinda what point 1 is about, isn't it.

I always wondered if there could be sort of GSF Tactical Flash Points. If they wanna be smart they should come up with FPs with a 4 man and a solo mode.

Almost. I agree with point 1 but point 2 is only partially correct. There is progression via unlocks to make your ship better, however, you are right that brand new and veteran players play together. But that is kinda what point 1 is about, isn't it.

I always wondered if there could be sort of GSF Tactical Flash Points. If they wanna be smart they should come up with FPs with a 4 man and a solo mode.

Any Kind of PVE Repeatable space mission in the GSF style would help return my interest to it.

I like GSF, I wouldn't mind devs adding some PvE content.

That said, before that, I think something should be done to help people getting into it.

Increasing requisition was a good step but it needs more.

For new players, it's like warzones would be if ppl were starting directly with a lvl 60 character without previous experience with the class/spec/MMO.

New players for the most I think haven't even done the tutorial, they don't know the keybindings, what the objectives are, how the energy management system works, how to know if you are in range of the enemy or not, what are the use/role of each ship...

That's why even with a stock ship, a veteran/experienced player against a team of new players will have no problem and it only go worse for the new players team once the vet starts upgrading its ships.

no Flight Controller support.

Just this. The content itself is okay, the lack of in-game controller support / remapping of controls to a controller isn't. They were going to look into adding it, considering the amount of feedback they were given on this particular point.

I'm fine with the PvP aspect of GSF, and also fine with the lack of PvE due to AI programming / server load / HERO engine alpha considerations.

Until BioWare deliver on the controller support though, forget it.

The problem with Bioware is that they have good ideas, but they abandon them halfway through the project.

- Space Mission on the rails. No further development. Dropped.

- Shroud's Heroics that are different form the usual MMO missions. I would love to repeat them in different settings. Maybe the pirate waves on Rishi that you need to stop by charging cannons? Nope. No further development. Dropped.

- GSF. Only PVP that is additionally limited. No further development. Dropped.

GSF is fun but gets boring as it's very repetitive due to the low number of maps and modes. It's unbalanced for the new players. They dropped GSF too soon. It deserves to get a second chance and more attention from the devs. PVE mode would definitely be the bull's eye.

If they can't afford time to program AI for flying ships. Maybe they should focus on developing AI for satellites and motherships instead? Then players would need to destroy those objectives in the same manner as in Space Missions. PVE players would learn how to aim with their weapons and when to disable missile locks. They would be prepared for a possible PVP match better than they are now.

Invading the guild's flagship with your GSF ships is also a great concept. One guild declares invasion to the other and the battle begins. The objection is to destroy all the shields and turrets on that flagship in a certain time while the defending team attempts to stop the attack. :rak_01:

Edited by PavSalco

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.