3.0 Mercenary/Commando DPS by Hotwired

Gyronamics

• Replies 276
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Rotation is fine.

Use adrenals, purple 8h stims and boost your gear as much as you can.

If you want a target for damage on a dummy then you need to be looking at very high 4000 to very low 5000 for Innovative Ordinance with BiS 198 gear as your output every time you walk up to a dummy.

RNG can swing a parse by 400-500 dps, obviously a leaderboard consists of the parses where the dice rolls high but all you need to be is consistent with your rotation and let RNG be whatever it is.

What is normal DPS for Arty-Commando with 6 Boni and some 192 items...?

I dont come over 3000 :-( but i play with rotations from here....

i have buffed 34% Critical and 74% from the stat among them (dont now ^^ i´m austrian boy :D)

Speed 8%

I use only AP revaluations.

Rotations is from Dulfy.....

Whta should my stat targets in points?! Please hlep me.

Regards

Edited by wintics

Actually running a parse in 192 for me would be somewhat tedious since I'd have to remod everything so I took off my chestpiece and that's approximately the stat loss that dropping to 192 would do.

So I lose:

292 aim

171 power

120 surge

Leaving me with:

4145 aim

1374 power

612 critical

756 accuracy <- 109.99/99.99 accuracy

240 surge <- 64.8% critical multiplier

240 alacrity <- 5.08% alacrity

I still have a 198 offhand but a 192 mainhand.

I am using the 6 piece bonus

I use Advanced Anodyne Attack Adrenals

I use Advanced Anodyne Reflex Stims

My gear is fully augmented with 186 purple augments

I debuffed the dummy and set its health to 1,000,000 hitpoints

This is the very small sample of 1 parse I then did: http://swtor-parser.elasticbeanstalk.com/parser/view/8072

Basically if you're doing 3kdps then that's very low and you're not following any rotation correctly on top of bad gearing.

One thing which is screaming at me is the fact that you said 74% *something* which is your Critical Multiplier and also 8% *speed* which would be Alacrity, that means you've definitely not got enough accuracy.

You get hold of implants, earpieces and armour enhancements with accuracy until you have slightly over 750 accuracy rating. Nothing is more important than that.

If you'd like to ask me anything then read the guide first because it covers everything especially stats.

This is the stat section:

Gearing and Stats Priority

Accuracy must be at 100% for PVE. This requires over 750 in the stat which in gearing terms you should be able to do without an accuracy augment with a little less than full 192 gear which is available for Elite comms and as drops from hard mode L60 flashpoints and storymode L60 operations.

After that as long as you don't go for tank stats it's almost impossible to gear badly.

Crit vs Power: If you can get a higher tier mod of either stat then do it. Once you have the luxury of picking and choosing then look to have anything under 400 crit and the rest in power.

Surge vs Alacrity: You have only 3 slots after fulfilling your 100% accuracy requirement. Any combination is totally legitimate.

Augments: You'll need 1 Accuracy augment below ~192 gear to be 100% accurate. After that you can pick and choose between Aim (Reflex) or Power (Overkill) augments.

Expect to be unoptimised while gearing up but when you can, go for low endurance mods and enhancements.

Important note about set bonuses: The old set bonus of 15% crit chance on Charged Bolts and 8% more damage on High Impact Bolt is now junk for Assault. Charged Bolts is no longer a high percentage of our damage output and the 8% High Impact Bolt damage bonus does not apply to Mag Bolt, its replacement in Assault. Make it a top priority to upgrade to the new set bonus which is somewhat different but at least they work and are a dps increase.

Relics: The safe bet is Seredipitous Assault (proc power) and Focused Retribution (proc mainstat). The strategic burst path is to swap one out for a Boundless Ages (manual power buff).

So fix your stats and show me a parse.

If you are struggling with a rotation then do this rotation to kill a dummy and get back to me with the parse:

Here then is an example of an effective rotation I created which is infinitely repeatable. Of particular note is that you can do almost everything on the move except the Serrated Bolt cast which nevertheless can be forced instant with your Tech Override.

Before any fight or during fight downtime remember to charge your Supercharge to 10 using Med Shot and for the basic rotation you consider it as an adrenal to increase damage. Advanced use looks at it slightly differently.

GCD01 Incendiary Round (debuffing the target and applying the elemental DoT)

GCD02 Mag Bolt (making next Charged Bolts instant)

GCD03 Charged Bolts (making next Mag Bolt free)

GCD04 Mag Bolt (generating 5 energy)

GCD05 Serrated Bolt (debuffing the target and applying internal DoT)

GCD06 Assault Plastique

GCD07 ------ Filler Slot

GCD08 Full Auto (making next Mag Bolt free)

GCD09 Full Auto continued

GCD10 ------ Filler Slot

That would then continue

GCD01 Incendiary Round (reapplying the elemental DoT)

GCD02 Mag Bolt (generating 5 energy and making next Charged Bolts instant)

GCD03 Charged Bolts (making next Mag Bolt free)

GCD04 Mag Bolt (generating 5 energy)

GCD05 Serrated Bolt (reapplying internal DoT)

GCD06 Assault Plastique

GCD07 ------ Filler Slot

GCD08 Full Auto (making next Mag Bolt free)

GCD09 Full Auto continued

GCD10 ------ Filler Slot

Filler slots will be Hammer Shot and Electronet when available for an unstressful rotation.

Edited by Gyronamics

Possible.

So chestpiece off again and back to the dummy, this time as Gunnery: http://swtor-parser.elasticbeanstalk.com/parser/view/8088/12

And the rotation guide for Gunnery is this:

There is no fixed rotation for Gunnery just a short and simple priority list:

1) Get the Curtain of Fire proc by using Grav Round

2) Use the following abilities if they are available:

• Vortex Bolt
  • Demo Round ONLY on a target with Gravity Vortex from Grav Round
  • High Impact Bolt ONLY with 5 stacks of Charged Barrel from using Grav Round
  • Electronet

3) Use the Curtain of Fire buffed Boltstorm

4) Use Grav Round if energy is available otherwise use Hammer Shot

And that's it, I could spin it out for longer but it's really that simple and that's a key reason it's popular.

As an opener I like to do Vortex Bolt -> Electronet + Supercharged Cell + Adrenal -> Boltstorm without Curtain of Fire proc -> Instant (because of Vortex Bolt) Grav Round. At that point I'm at #1 on the priority list and I go from there.

Remember to charge Supercharge to 10 stacks before any fight using Med Shot.

Stats are the same for both specs.

Edited by Gyronamics

The dreaded nerf...I wonder how much the new Patch notes for 3.1.2 on PTS will affect IO. IM and SS no longer benefit from ordnance expert. I wonder if it is the initial damage done from those impacts or the DOT's they apply?

Entire thing.

30% surge lost on two major DoT

I don't know what it will mean but Mercs sure suck a lot at doing AOE and have one spec for single target.

The other spec is exceedingly poor at almost every boss and on the ONE boss it is worthwhile on it's average.

OK, I have a situational question for you now! haha. I am extremely comfortable with this rotation on a dummy and also on most bosses. My question comes with Underlurker. I know this class is not ideal for Underlurker but I am bound and determined to make it happen.

When switching from adds, do you continue your rotation as normal or do you restart your rotation on the new add to apply the DoT's?

So add 1, say we end up downing it while I just finished using PS filler. Do I continue with UL on the the next add and then follow with filler->IM->MS->PS->MS? I feel like in order to keep the CD's coming off properly, I should continue the rotation.

I am having a hard time keeping my DPS up during this fight. It might also be, that I get lost in my rotation by losing concentration. I am thinking about going to PVP and just practice running the rotation on multiple enemies. I just dont know if I should always apply dots to a new target first before continuing rotation?

OK, I have a situational question for you now! haha. I am extremely comfortable with this rotation on a dummy and also on most bosses. My question comes with Underlurker. I know this class is not ideal for Underlurker but I am bound and determined to make it happen.

When switching from adds, do you continue your rotation as normal or do you restart your rotation on the new add to apply the DoT's?

So add 1, say we end up downing it while I just finished using PS filler. Do I continue with UL on the the next add and then follow with filler->IM->MS->PS->MS? I feel like in order to keep the CD's coming off properly, I should continue the rotation.

I am having a hard time keeping my DPS up during this fight. It might also be, that I get lost in my rotation by losing concentration. I am thinking about going to PVP and just practice running the rotation on multiple enemies. I just dont know if I should always apply dots to a new target first before continuing rotation?

I'm not Gyro but I actually use IO on Underlurker. And I just continue with my rotation when I swap. Restarting is not effective because of the cooldowns and the heat cost.

Just make sure you start on a different add than the rest of the dps.

Holding your rotation is the most manageable tactic when swapping targets.

For advanced multiple target tactics consider replacing Thermal Detonator, filler Power Shots and Rapid Shot with Serrated Shot until every target has it.

Also hold off refreshing any DoT on low HP targets. Power Shot will more reliably bank damage at that point.

I don't consider Underlurker to be ideal for Innovative Ordinance. Moving on demand does not mesh with a fixed rotation with hard casting in it. Arsenal on the other hand with its totally optional priority list has vast flexibility in ability use while instant damage all day means no target can ever be a "bad" target.

It's all small beans deciding on what type of ranged class you prefer on Underlurker, it's not a challenging fight once you understand the mechanics and of course you're not melee.

Edited by Gyronamics

I'm not Gyro but I actually use IO on Underlurker. And I just continue with my rotation when I swap. Restarting is not effective because of the cooldowns and the heat cost.

Just make sure you start on a different add than the rest of the dps.

How much DPS do u usually pull on underlurker in IO

I don't know, I don't really keep track of my dps nor have I done UL that many times. But I was always in top2 of my raid team.

I have seen you on the forums before. IF I recall you dont do the Zorz rotation or this one do you? What is your rotation? Or better yet, post a parse in parsley and I will look at it...I am always looking to improve my game by having various rotations in my pocket.

I have seen you on the forums before. IF I recall you dont do the Zorz rotation or this one do you? What is your rotation? Or better yet, post a parse in parsley and I will look at it...I am always looking to improve my game by having various rotations in my pocket.

Well I use neither and both. I stole the opener from Zorz and the rotation structure is Gyro's I just shuffled things around.

Right now Parsley doesn't work for me so I'll type it down:

Opener:

SS->IM->MS->UL->TD->EN+Adr+SCG->MS->

PS->MS->SS->FM->IM->UL

Rotation:

UL->Filler->MS->TD->

PS->Filler->SS->MS->IM->

cs_zoltan, I am curious to understand why you changed your rotation to this. Previously you had posted a rotation based off of Greto's, and the benefits you said are it had were: pair dots, mobility, multiple fillers. How are you liking this new rotation, is it better for OPs, what are the benefits.

I tried it out for a few dummy runs and it seems a bit better for ammo management, less forgiving if you make a mistake and try to get back in synch, and less mobile. DPS is similar maybe a lil less.

Edited by Storgal

cs_zoltan, I am curious to understand why you changed your rotation to this. Previously you had posted a rotation based off of Greto's, and the benefits you said are it had were: pair dots, mobility, multiple fillers. How are you liking this new rotation, is it better for OPs, what are the benefits.

I tried it out for a few dummy runs and it seems a bit better for ammo management, less forgiving if you make a mistake and try to get back in synch, and less mobile. DPS is similar maybe a lil less.

Who's Greto? :confused:

Mine was always based on Gyro's since I started using it on the PTS and he was the first and only one who shared his rotation.

A few months ago I changed my rotation almost daily every time I came up something new :p

Anyway it's almost the same as Gyro's the few differences:

• MSs are more spread out for easier heat management, and potentially better CGC uptime
  • Fillers are spread out for easier heat management.
  • DoTs are paired up, with short downtime or target switch it's a good thing.
  • But, StB is not procced in the block where the DoTs are so if there's a longer downtime you need to start with the opener again.

Everything else is the same (mobility too). The differences are minimal, mine probably a bit easier for someone new to the spec because of the easier heat management.

Edited by cs_zoltan

Sorry for the confusion, I knew it started with a "G" :o Thanks for the response, and posting this new rotation. Was raid night last night so didn't want to screw up, but will work on this new rotation and give It a shot on our Sunday run.

Thanks;)

Ok Alacrity, how much? I have seen 3-4 Enhancements all the way to 1 Augment. so lets have a "friendly" discussion/theory crafting debate on what works/provides the best results for Assault/IO.

oh, I made an excel sheet to determine BiS crit, but to get BiS crit/surge/alacrity that would require a proper program wrote for that.

I'll get to it when I have time.

Ok Alacrity, how much? I have seen 3-4 Enhancements all the way to 1 Augment. so lets have a "friendly" discussion/theory crafting debate on what works/provides the best results for Assault/IO.

You want either 120 OR 240 alacrity to maximize DPS. My simulations show that zero alacrity does not yield maximum DPS. You also don't want to sacrifice Aim/Power by using up an augment slot since it doesn't make a huge difference between 120 or 240 alacrity.

I've also identified an alternate stat distribution which shows around 400 alacrity can deal about the same DPS.

With potential changes to remove 2% alacrity from the spec, this may be modified, but I haven't run those simulations yet.

You can try it out for yourself if you'd like:

Mercenary/Commando DPS Sim and Stat Calculator

• 2 weeks later...

Wow, Changed my rotation a little bit and cranked even more out by adding in MB instead of the 1st Rapid shots :) Im running a little bit more crit as well, I dropped a +48 power mod for an +82 crit one and Im up to 537 crit rating now.

I use Power Surge on SS when it's up, to save heat use TSO on TD when its up, and SCG when its up, or just before UL.

Opener:

SS->IM->SCG+EN->Then switch straight into your rotation from here

**Also, dont use IM on the 1st rotation as its already on your target**

Rotation:

IM->MS->PS->MS->SS->TD->RapS->UL->RapS (or EN)

Under 30% add in Missile Blast instead of the 1st Rapid Shot, as it gets a 75% buff if any DOTs are on your target making this go from about 3500 dmg to around 5000, and keep an eye on your heat as it will rise, You can cover this via Vent Heat to finish your target off, So your rotation would then become:

IM->MS->PS->MS->SS->TD->MB->UL->RapS (or EN)

Parsely Parse - http://swtor-parser.elasticbeanstalk.com/parser/view/13953/5

My gear is 2pc set 192/198, Mostly 192 armourings and mods with 198 Enh I scav'd off some other toons XD

Edited by Naritara

• 2 weeks later...

Hi nice guide I've just switched to gunnery pve

I'm full 192 geared with 3 set pieces

Just wanted to know roughly what my stats should be I:e

Surge, crit multi as I've heard many different things

Thx in advance :)

Edited by northnorfolk

Hi nice guide I've just switched to gunnery pve

I'm full 192 geared with 3 set pieces

Just wanted to know roughly what my stats should be I:e

Surge, crit multi as I've heard many different things

Thx in advance :)

Surge IS your crit multi btw XD

My Merc Ay'li is full set 192 with 4p set.

I run, i think, 100.62 Acc or there abouts

Surge at 351 (I need a new earpiece to drop this to 240)

and crit at 775.

The way I figure it is,

1.Higher power and 28% crit for direct or burst damage specs as the extra power hits harder than having a higher crit value.

and 2. Having higher crit on a DOT spec makes your DOT's burn harder and crit more often giving you more damage.

I played around with a few different mods, and found that the higher I went the more damage I did until a certain point, I reached 775 and replaced a +52 power mod with a +48 crit mod (making my crit 823) and the damage output dropped considerably, Maybe this is because the AIM on the mod was higher on the power mod than the Crit one, but either way I really noticed a difference.

My suggestion would be to swap out power mods for crit until you reach around 750-775 and then try and balance it out.

Here is my latest parse using this technique -

http://swtor-parser.elasticbeanstalk.com/parser/view/15558/2

Edited by Naritara