Plans for the future?

Camelpockets

So I've been out of the loop for a little while now... does Bioware have any plans for GSF in the future? I'm absolutely loving my time playing Elite: Dangerous, but my current playstyle lacks enough of the combat I love. So I want something to fall back to if I get bored.

I did hear something about a change to requisition earnings, but are any other plans in mind?

Edited by Camelpockets

Not yet. They've hinted that they have something planned, and then they sort of backtracked and said that they would LIKE to work on GSF. There was that quote about something "better than cross server", which they then went back on as well, and who even knows what it is.

But like, I'm sure they'll do something at some point.

I do think we are in a pretty great upswing of space sim type games. GoD Factory Wingman is fun but lacks players and is very spotty with joystick support (it has far less players than GSF). I had a control setup that sort of worked and then the patch broke it by accident. ED and the upcoming core of Star Citizen are both to some degree "Han Solo Simulator" type games, and while that's actually really cool, I seriously doubt they will feature the amount of player versus player that I want, as both discuss persistent universes. Unlike GSF, where we replay the same five canon scenarios multiple times with fresh ships, those games have the idea of economy, repairs, manual docking, etc. That's not really my bag, but I'll still look into them because they seem well done.

I think the problem I have most with GSF is that the implied promise of them spinning it out of the rest of SWTOR's game engine is that they will be able to easily add content. New maps should definitely be something on the table, to say nothing of ship balance, new ships, new components, and bug fixes.

I think that internally they have just abandoned it for now, with plans to pick it back up at some point. Given that folks at Bioware can rotate across entire games, not just teams within a current game, SWTOR development is probably contingent on some devs somewhere hitting a spot where they are between dev cycles. Just a guess.

Not yet. They've hinted that they have something planned, and then they sort of backtracked and said that they would LIKE to work on GSF. There was that quote about something "better than cross server", which they then went back on as well, and who even knows what it is.

But like, I'm sure they'll do something at some point.

I do think we are in a pretty great upswing of space sim type games. GoD Factory Wingman is fun but lacks players and is very spotty with joystick support (it has far less players than GSF). I had a control setup that sort of worked and then the patch broke it by accident. ED and the upcoming core of Star Citizen are both to some degree "Han Solo Simulator" type games, and while that's actually really cool, I seriously doubt they will feature the amount of player versus player that I want, as both discuss persistent universes. Unlike GSF, where we replay the same five canon scenarios multiple times with fresh ships, those games have the idea of economy, repairs, manual docking, etc. That's not really my bag, but I'll still look into them because they seem well done.

I think the problem I have most with GSF is that the implied promise of them spinning it out of the rest of SWTOR's game engine is that they will be able to easily add content. New maps should definitely be something on the table, to say nothing of ship balance, new ships, new components, and bug fixes.

I think that internally they have just abandoned it for now, with plans to pick it back up at some point. Given that folks at Bioware can rotate across entire games, not just teams within a current game, SWTOR development is probably contingent on some devs somewhere hitting a spot where they are between dev cycles. Just a guess.

Emphasizing on the PvP thing... As for a newbie, I haven't seen much of the PvP aspect yet, but I've only just fitted myself into the 4th least expensive ship so far in the game, and that really isn't that much. There's still a lot that I have to see in ED. But again, this is why I was wondering. I do miss the fast-paced combat :p

Emphasizing on the PvP thing... As for a newbie, I haven't seen much of the PvP aspect yet, but I've only just fitted myself into the 4th least expensive ship so far in the game, and that really isn't that much. There's still a lot that I have to see in ED. But again, this is why I was wondering. I do miss the fast-paced combat :p

CMDR Arcumed - add me :)

I read elsewhere on one of the dev questions and answers that there are no current plans for GSF. .It was instead something they would like to work on.

I didn't know that better than cross server queues had been pulled. I understand from the dev post they are probably going to be doing server merges. We have kindly referred to this as a mega server. It may just be server merges and no need for the mega part of it.

Other than making requisition easier to come by I haven't seen anything to suggest that GSF is still being worked on. My own experience of late has been long queue times and then incredibly unbalanced matches mostly dominated by gunships.

Whether it is still fun for people I suspect depends on what side of the unbalanced match you fall but had one match that ranks up there with the most unenjoyable unbalanced matches and came 'top' of my side (except on deaths where I had the least) so I can't imagine it was overly great for them. And what advice can you give people with a choice of 2 basic ships to kill their gunships. Best will in the world they got one shot as they flew at them. Best advice probably would have been quit and force a forefeit? And go play a more balanced part of the game like soloing the lance squadron walker leader on Yavin 4.