The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Solo Play is dead !

heizluefta

TL;DR

The point of fact is, after 3.0 you only have 2, that is two, TWO ops to run, and everything else is pointless, as it doesn't reward you with anything of value. Commendations have become a complete joke and HM FPs are ... the same in black'n'white.:-( Welcome to the new normal.:mad:

actualy, funny story. before 3.0 old ops used to reward classic coms mostly, except for the weekly. classic coms were functionaly useless, but people still run for the weekly and eventualy - for conquests and decorations.

post 3.0? everything other then new ops? gives basic coms. you know, the ones that you need to buy entry gear? all content is functionally useful as all of that content facilitates getting upgrades.

last but not least... pretty sure they kept DF/DP NIM as alternate path to gearing... given that they drop entry gear for current ops and all.

other then that... others already said the rest.

P.S. speaking of content. they actualy listened to people's complaints at being unable to finish the story as last quests would suddenly become group/ops quests, at the end of the solo chain. so now we have solo mode flashpoints. for soloers to be able to see ALL of the story. Solo play is dead indeed :rolleyes:

Edited by Jeweledleah

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

To the OP. I understand where you are coming from. But it's useless to argue a point from a position of rationality with people who do not play SW just for the fun and lore.

I would suggest that if you have a good idea as it relates to your topic then submit a ticket to the devs. They will take it under advisement.

Trying to bump heads with people who are slaves to their own way of thinking is ill-advised.

The idea that a SOLO player would want to do an ops is unthinkable?

The idea that a PvE-er would want to PvP is just plain Ludacris?

what he wants is the same number of comms for the same time put in as people running Ops get

Fair enough. Standard 8 m DF / DP SM takes what? 45 minutes to an hour? At the conclusion, each person gets approx 24 elites (6 / boss) and the weekly 12 (iinm). There's also no guarantee on loot.

So...for solo play, to get 36 elite comms, the OP would have to run (at 45 minutes apiece) 12 solo missions to equate to the time spent by the 8 players.

So, repeatable (daily) 3 elite comm solo missions? Sure, I can wrap my head around that.

EDIT: To be fair, however, no God-bot in these solo missions.

Edited by Lotharofxev
Forgot something

I'm still trying to figure out why some people care so much, seem so offended, that someone else might be able to work up to BiS gear without grinding HM/NM 16-man content...

I'm still trying to figure out why people think its perfectly ok to demand an easier path to a goal they want to achieve simply because they don't want to do the work that is necessary to achieve the goal.

I'm still trying to figure out why some people care so much, seem so offended, that someone else might be able to work up to BiS gear without grinding HM/NM 16-man content...

Because for the not-HM/NiM 16-man content, a person doesn't need it; that gear is top tier and difficult to earn to keep the value up, other wise we would already have three pages of threads on how top tier needs to be higher.

*inhales*

I do think that to keep the value up, and maybe keep top tier from being Ops only, weeklies in the Dailies zones should still reward some of the classic/elite comms, but not as easily as Ops reward them.

When I read these comments from the OP, it's apparent that his real problem is that he's against the grind for gear, and that because he doesn't want to take part in the grind, he should be given an avenue to get the top levels of gear. That's just not how this MMO stuff works. Does it stink that a lot of time needs to be spent to get enough comms, or drops, for the top levels of gear? Sure. Does the time spent mean lack of fun? No. I see no reason what so ever why this poster can't look in general for the 16 man op groups which is basically face rolling through stuff for the comms, or the loot. I see no reason why this poster can't group for a hardmode flashpoint to get gear, or do really anything that involves grouping since he or she has already stated they are into group play.

OP, expand your horizon. Join more groups. Stop worrying so much about how much time it will take for you to get the gear. You'll get it as a result of just enjoying the game for what it provides. And, if you want to go back to strict solo, this game has a built in net for you. It's called an Alt. End game is going to always be primarily group based. And, it would be absolutely awful if they nerfed the difficulty. Whether you know it or not, OP, you're acting extremely entitled here. It's ok to grow, and learn new ways to enjoy the content. I started out at launch as a solo player who came from console based rpgs. I was about as solo a player as a player could get. Now, after a lot of time has passed, and a lot of just challenging myself to try out new things, I am extremely into running operations with my guild. We started out with the basic stuff, enjoyed those, got geared for another tier of ops, enjoyed those, and rinse and repeat. I don't have insane amounts of free time either. I work, own my own home which means lots of house work, and have tons of social responsibilities. If you truly enjoy something, you'll find that even two or three hours of a day where you just aren't scheduled to do anything else is fine. Again, you'll get there. You just can't go from the bottom to the top in a day.

To the OP. Who cares about OPs gear if you don't run OPs. I solo and run Flash Points. I have plenty good gear and earn plenty from doing that I don't need OPs gear so don't care that I have it. Complaining about OPs gear in the context you are would be akin to complaining that my neighbor has a much nicer care than me (he has a Mercedes, I have a Subaru.) I certainly don't need a Mercedes and the fact that Subaru is more than enough for me is...well enough for me. If I did whine about it people would think me mental.

Now here is the problem. You may have an issue with pacing...I think before it was WAY to fast. When I hit 65 (with a non-OPs toon) I basically had more than enough gear that I could only possible upgrade by grinding flashpoints. Then I am the kinda guy who says "hey upgrading this thing from level 42 to this thing that is level 43 is a waste.". Additionally I think before it went TOO fast. Not everyone is an alt aholic. I will likely only ever have 2 toons to max level (if that many.). You need a reason in an MMO to keep people playing so they keep giving you money. If people get gear too fast they go " I won SWTOR" too fast and disappear until expac time.

Thing is though I think your pacing argument is a red herring. If it wasn't you wouldn't be complaining so much about the quality of OPs gear and the fact that you think Bioware only cares about OPs players. You would be talking about how long it takes you to get the gear tuned for whatever content in general.

Edited by Ghisallo

And whats the reward for that ? More basic comms ?

Id like to see something thats "heavy and difficult" but rewards a bit of the upper class gear or comms !

Is it really that this question is toooooo strange ?

No, you just want the top tier raid gear to be handed to people. That's not what MMO's are about. If you wanted solo play, play Kotor I and II and Skyrim. I for one love group content, and want to keep it that way.

This is already the most solo friendly MMO I have ever played. Being able to solo Story FP's is probably going too far as it is. If you want to to play a solo game there are many available.

Ops require a lot more effort than solo play. It would be ridiculous to be able to acquire the same gear being solo that 16 people have to coordinate to get. If you want the gear learn to group.

I disagree. SM flashpoints could and should be soloable IMO. There should also be tactical versions of all SMs.

But that is where it should end. HMs and OPs should remain the domain of group play IMO.

I disagree. SM flashpoints could and should be soloable IMO.

SM flashpoints are already soloable -- you merely need to be a higher level than the flashpoint.

The experience is not dissimilar to using the SuperDroid.

Edited by Khevar

SM flashpoints are already soloable -- you merely need to be a higher level than the flashpoint.

The experience is not dissimilar to using the SuperDroid.

I mean end game SMs for casual players, aka with the "god droid" or multiple companions.

Right now, generally speaking, casuals only run SMs when they outlevel them, as you accurately indicated.

Edited by LordArtemis

I don't know if it's been mentioned in this thread...

But I would like to see weaker, non-Ops versions of the armoring mods that give the set bonus. I have a small group of people I play with, and if we do group content, it's just flashpoints, sometimes HM. We don't have the time to try and put together larger groups, and even if we did, our gameplay isn't uninterrupted due to kids.

I think it'd be cool to have Set Bonus 186 armorings available for Elite comms.

Fair enough. Standard 8 m DF / DP SM takes what? 45 minutes to an hour? At the conclusion, each person gets approx 24 elites (6 / boss) and the weekly 12 (iinm). There's also no guarantee on loot.

So...for solo play, to get 36 elite comms, the OP would have to run (at 45 minutes apiece) 12 solo missions to equate to the time spent by the 8 players.

So, repeatable (daily) 3 elite comm solo missions? Sure, I can wrap my head around that.

EDIT: To be fair, however, no God-bot in these solo missions.

Honestly in closed beta I floated a idea (as this topic has been around since then truthfully) that because game is so solo designed they should make alternative solo versions of flashpoints and ops that require the equal time investment.

So ops rewards 12 ultimate coms for a 16 man raid and is designed to take that group 2 hours (nice even number) to complete.

The solo version (which obviously would be different in areas) should be designed for a solo player to take upwards of 32 hours (16x2 hours= 32 hour time investment for ops)

The biggest downside to a solo ops concept is its potential to be quickly farmed

so you focus on the time involvement and make a solo player do it in multiple stages over a number of days

or they group up and do it in 2 hours for same reward

Choice would be theirs

I was half joking to be honest back then cause even back then was tired of the "Its to hard" crowd and knew they would never agree to a 32 hour commitment for anything

But in a strange way it seems like a workable compromise now.

EAs just focused to much on solo content in this game that its really not fair they turn around and (in a way) punish solo players for playing the game solo.

TL;DR: I think solo in this game is fantastic and became even better with the 3.0! I am however sad that I don't seem to be cut out to break into the group content. I do not believe it is a game's failing though.

Okay, after digging really deep, I finally found one thing that is not so good for a solo player! Hold on to your hats!

It’s that we level so fast from L55 to L60 that comm accumulation through GF is just not happening. I was kindda hoping for a longish period of time when I will actually be in acceptable 172-178 gear, so I would stop playing solo, go and join the GF and L2P in groups, even joining the SM Ops, but... I hit L60 before the end of Rishi, without ever joining a group!

As a new L60, basically now, I guess need to get into the planetary dailies from Voss-Ka onward to get the 186 gear that will open up the group content without risking people's displeasure at least about the gear (my erm... prowess is another matter). I need close to 700 comms.

I can’t avoid doing the expansion because I need to gather the mats for earpieces, MH/OH, augments and implants…

So, I have one L60, still need to finish Rishi-Yavin, and with 4 more chars to run through Makeb-Revanites gauntlet, and by the time I am done, let alone gear up to 186, everyone on L60 will be in 198s and asking for everyone to ‘know fights and be in 198’ so… I guess, I am late again. Pfft. I feel hopelessly behind everyone and it hasn’t even been 2 weeks after the expansion!

I think it’s easier to just stick with Solo and go for PvP once the crafting necessities are taken care of. The geared PvP guys (who prob constitute the majority of the L60 bracket now) will beat my poor chars black and blue for a couple-three of weeks, but that’ll give me the Tier I set, and things will get better. With PvP we are talking weeks to entry level gear, with PvE, we are talking months.

I have troubles choosing Utilities too, as I am just not used to building the PvE chars! I am loading up on the stun-breakers and CC’s instinctevly, so I guess I will be useless in PvE even if I do get into a group by some miracle. There seem to be a deeper split in building and equipping a PvE and a PvP char now.

MMO is a MMO. MMO by definition needs to give people endless hours of play, but when you just don’t have those endless hours… I tell ya, good thing there is solo/PvP!

I keep thinking now am savvy, I know what’s the right thing to do, but in the end, I guess, I just want too many things to accomplish, and it is what makes it so hard for me. I spread myself too thin, and while I rip tangible benefits from it, I continue to be unfocused. My goals are short term, and I can't pick a long-term goal, continuing to sit between the chairs on which character to play, and whether to PvE/PvP him/her. I absolutely need to cut down on the number of characters played, as it is detrimental to my L2P characters, ability to gear up and the ability to go through content. I was thinking maybe 2 char per faction, one PvE and one - PvP, but I probably need to cut it down even further, play PvP on the Pub ('cause I am a Pub girl!), and PvE on the Imperial side ('cause I am in an active guild I like!)