The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

3.0 Pyro is dead spec?

Feddot

So, guys, what do u think about new pyro pt? It seems that it has no survivability compared to other classes and the damage is really weak (they nerfed pft btw). I see AP a lot, but very few pyro. Am i right or i just need l2p?

Too early to tell but from the comments in WZ's last night people have been complaining that pyro is "way overpowered" right now. Now I don't know if they really meant AP in it's current state or the "new" pyro because AP does indeed play just like the old pyro. I've seen a good mix of cylinders so I can't say I've seen one more than the other.

I went from pyro to AP myself, and was loads of fun, but I just may respec to pyro tonight to give it a go.

My Vanguard is 58 and running Tactics (Adv Prototype for a PT). Its a heavy burst spec and a blast to play (almost literally). Things die fast, and only one dot to think about (Gut/Retractable Blade) and it refreshed every time you use a High Impact Bolt (Rail Shot) or Sticky Grenade (Explosive Dart). Its fast, easy, and quick. Assault Plastique (Thermal Detonator) and Cell Blast (Energy Blast) hit like Mack Trucks, HiB procs like crazy, and its very rare you run out of ammo unless you are doing a AoE rotation. I hit 59 soon, get my extra Crit buff, and GG mobs/Solo bosses

I'm been looking at Plasmatech (Pyro) and might just have to give it a go soon. It's burst ability seems awesome, but I could see more sustained in this spec the Tactics/AP due to the burns. I wouldn't say Pyro is a dead spec, its just that everyone wanted to see would good the new Tactic/AP was 1st. Give it time

My Vanguard is 58 and running Tactics (Adv Prototype for a PT). Its a heavy burst spec and a blast to play (almost literally). Things die fast, and only one dot to think about (Gut/Retractable Blade) and it refreshed every time you use a High Impact Bolt (Rail Shot) or Sticky Grenade (Explosive Dart). Its fast, easy, and quick. Assault Plastique (Thermal Detonator) and Cell Blast (Energy Blast) hit like Mack Trucks, HiB procs like crazy, and its very rare you run out of ammo unless you are doing a AoE rotation. I hit 59 soon, get my extra Crit buff, and GG mobs/Solo bosses

I'm been looking at Plasmatech (Pyro) and might just have to give it a go soon. It's burst ability seems awesome, but I could see more sustained in this spec the Tactics/AP due to the burns. I wouldn't say Pyro is a dead spec, its just that everyone wanted to see would good the new Tactic/AP was 1st. Give it time

Tactics is the go-to spec for PvP; it's the spec with the highest burst in the entire game, that can function at all ranges, since Thermal Detonator now has 30 meter range (again), and that Explosive Dart procs railshot. Also, railshot doesn't need a dot anymore.

The new AP is a simpler rotation and has a great burst rotation. But on the dummies, Pyro is still parsing ~250 DPS higher than AP. I've run both (Lvl 59, almost 60), and Pyro plays like the "Expert" level of BH, while AP seems more like "Intermediate" level play. What I mean here is you really have to know your rotation for Pyro, whereas AP is much more forgiving on mistakes with button presses. Personally? I run AP because I like having an extra layer of defense and SC hits like a truck when you need it, but when I have to go big or go home, I switch over to Pyro.

It seems that Tactics/AP and Plasmatech/Pyrotech have changed places. Now Tactics/AP is the burst spec (altho I don't like that I have to get very close, 4m, to apply Gut/HB), and Plasmatech/Pyrotech is the new sustained dmg/pve spec.

But who cares about specs, when I have a 10sec speed burst aka "Choo choo motherf***er, I'm coming for you"

So, guys, what do u think about new pyro pt? It seems that it has no survivability compared to other classes and the damage is really weak (they nerfed pft btw). I see AP a lot, but very few pyro. Am i right or i just need l2p?

There was a conversation

The objection was for the squishiness not for the *potential* dmg.

The only dcd of he flamethrower spec is Adrenal + 30% DR without PT mobility. My first target, 0 def against kiting.

RS Autocrit may be defed, FT may be avoided. 30% armor.

Any newer input?

Edited by Aetideus

PVP Wise - Tactics (AP) is ridiculously, almost comically, strong. I mean I've never blown people up so quickly. Shoulder cannons got a reduced internal rate limit to half a second so you can unload your cannons (all 7) super fast. You can effectively play the class at 15 meters, while only need to move into 10 meter range for Cell Burst (which crits for 10-12k on my 57 VG). Tactical Surge (Ion Pulse replacement) hits hilariously hard, like 6-7k crits, as a "spammable" ability with a 15 meter range and auto snare.

The only downside is that you're a lot squishier. MUCH squishier. So new Tactics pretty much brought VGs back to pre 2.0 as a pure glass cannon and to be honest, I'm fine with that.

Edited by OMGitsCHARLIE