The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Hate this new skill tree

FlamingoChest

• Replies 329
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guess BW make it easier for me to cancel the game. They just did the same mistake SOE has done with Star Wars Galaxies. I've never thought before to cancel, but now .. im done with it.

My Marauder-Annihilator is no more the same (use Annihilate like before by restarting it? forget it - but this is what he always ned when they, a couple of months before, buffed him also by extending the duration) and I feel like being forced to play the FOTM4ever-Smasher. *sigh* Lets not forget the Trooper .. where's my goddamn Cone-Fire ability? Now I have to play the tank for that? Da***? All in all - im less effective in this game and the current abilities are no fun to me.

making a drastic change like this in a game where barely any people play and have a million of other options...well thats just bad decision-making. for me they are simplistic and juvenile but tbh dont change much for me.

now the unplayable ability lag, broken final boss and slap in the face that was two characters' skill costs well, thats just the icing on the cake. i suspect december will be my last month lol.

Loving the new discipline system but the UI of it should get some improvement. It looks boring and messy. Can't really figure out anything from it. Everything lights up, is shiny and glowy. It would make much more sense if skills that benefity from certain abilities or utilities would light up when selected. Right now the tree is there just so there's something to fill the blank page. So to sum it up, love the new system, hate it's the UI. Edited by Carousel_t

making a drastic change like this in a game where barely any people play and have a million of other options...well thats just bad decision-making. for me they are simplistic and juvenile but tbh dont change much for me.

now the unplayable ability lag, broken final boss and slap in the face that was two characters' skill costs well, thats just the icing on the cake. i suspect december will be my last month lol.

You managed to sneak "slap in the face" in there. Nice job.

There was nothing drastic about this. If you think this is drastic I would hate to see how you handle other MMOs. Get some perspective and you'll be ok.

I just updated to this 3.0.....I gotta admit. I hate it. I hate hate hate it. I cant get used to it I lost like 4 main abilities i used. I hate it. The setup is lame. Cant stand playing anymore. Most likely will quit playing. and this sucks cause i love SWTOR and i was dreading this new system when it was mentioned. My friends and I play this game together and we all agree that we hate it, and its a shame cause we drop big bucks on the game and this sucks cause we cant stand it. I gave it a chance and I cant stand it. Really cant. Anyone else dislike this new system

Other than being upset by the Salvation Nerf, I can't say I've noticed any real difference except I can't create a hybrid.

I've gained a couple of new skills, no real issue.

What 4 main abilities have you lost? Maybe they have been renamed?

I'm confused by the posts by people not being able to understand their new skill or play their class. I have max level in every class and have not noticed any real difference in any of the classes! Just got some new fun skills!

Edited by danielearley
adding more

Loving the new discipline system but the UI of it should get some improvement. It looks boring and messy. Can't really figure out anything from it. Everything lights up, is shiny and glowy. It would make much more sense if skills that benefity from certain abilities or utilities would light up when selected. Right now the tree is there just so there's something to fill the blank page. So to sum it up, love the new system, hate it's the UI.

Makes me think about a Christmas tree, but honestly I wasn't expecting much from the UI regarding past records.

I'd extend your suggestion to the slotted quickslots so if you select a skill either in the talent *ahem* line or the skills panel it would then highlight everything that's impacting or impacted by it. Although it's quite some work for sure.

But for now the system isn't more easier to understand than before as without knowing the names of the skills and their dependencies players can't understand how it goes nor what kind of rotation they are supposed to do.

Edited by Deewe

making a drastic change like this in a game where barely any people play and have a million of other options...well thats just bad decision-making.

Barely any people play? That's nonsense. SWTOR is actually a fairly successful MMO. I'm not saying it's the BIGGEST MMO because it absolutely is not. WoW obviously has far, far more players. And of course MOBAs are bigger than any MMO. But in the MMO space, SWTOR is a successful game.

The problem is that everyone seems to think that if a game doesn't have WoW or LoL numbers then "no one" is playing it. Which is nonsense.

Guess BW make it easier for me to cancel the game. They just did the same mistake SOE has done with Star Wars Galaxies. I've never thought before to cancel, but now .. im done with it.

My Marauder-Annihilator is no more the same (use Annihilate like before by restarting it? forget it - but this is what he always ned when they, a couple of months before, buffed him also by extending the duration) and I feel like being forced to play the FOTM4ever-Smasher. *sigh* Lets not forget the Trooper .. where's my gosh darn Cone-Fire ability? Now I have to play the tank for that? Da***? All in all - im less effective in this game and the current abilities are no fun to me.

Stuff?

SWTOR is actually a fairly successful MMO

I think it was Artemis who had some "classified" (behind a rather expensive pay wall) info that showed SWTOR pales in straight dollars to a lot of other on-line options (especially MOBAs).

The EA corporate release was a tad nebulous in wording. SWTOR was lumped in with some other "low performing" games.

http://nosygamer.blogspot.com/

For your perusal.

EDIT: Go to his Tuesday section(s). They show a cross-section of who is playing what. There are some metrics there.

Edited by Lotharofxev
Forgot something

I think it was Artemis who had some "classified" (behind a rather expensive pay wall) info that showed SWTOR pales in straight dollars to a lot of other on-line options (especially MOBAs).

The EA corporate release was a tad nebulous in wording. SWTOR was lumped in with some other "low performing" games.

For your perusal.

EDIT: Go to his Tuesday section(s). They show a cross-section of who is playing what. There are some metrics there.

Except for WoW, most MMOs are not rolling in money. MOBAs have much higher profit margins due to many reasons, some of which include reduced complexity, smaller staffs, smaller server farms, etc.

WoW is the anamoly. MMOs do not roll in cash and probably never will until another WoW comes along.

SWTOR was lumped in with LOWER THAN QUARTER OVER QUARTER performing. That does not mean LOW PERFORMING. There is a huge difference.

I am not saying its good news. I am not saying its great. I am saying its not dire news and these things happen quarter over same quarter across the business world, every day.

Edited by Arkerus

For your perusal.

Did you even read the rest of my post? I said precisely what you just said. I said it was a successful game in the MMO space that had far, far fewer players than WoW and even far fewer players than the popular MOBAs, such as LoL. My point was that everyone seems to think that a game has no one playing unless the game is a massive juggernaut.

I did not say (nor would I say) that SWTOR is a massive success like WoW or LoL. We all know that it is not. I merely said that in the MMO space, it is a successful product.

I'm confused by the posts by people not being able to understand their new skill or play their class.

At least for me it's not about understanding the new skills or how the class works. It's about the options that have been taken away. It doesn't matter that "all is destictive for a class is gained automatically".. what I don't like is these utilities, the lack of options they present, both in how many we are allowed to pick (only 7 or 8 instead of 46 or 51) and in what effect they have. So far, I didn't really find any utility that sounded really interesting. All of them are, at best, nice to have but nothing really special. So, all this "the choices that you will have are more meaningful" announcements are, from my point of view, not true. So we have less options to customize our character, and the options are as good/bad or even worse than before.

And this customization - no matter how much impact it had or hadn't before - was (among other) one thing that made the game entertaining. This "ding-ding, level up, what do I pick now?" that was there at every level turned into a "ding-ding, level up, nothing to do" for several levels, until finally you get a "ding-ding, level up... hmm.. I waited 8 levels to get to the point where I don't know what to pick because all these utilities sound equally bad?"

So, to make this discipline system interesting (for me), what it needs are more picks (1 per level as before would be awesome, 1 per 2 levels would be good, and 1 every 3 level would be.. well, fair enough. But anything less, espacially this 1 per 8 nlevels is way to few). To make that practicable, there also need to be more utilities (depending on how many picks we get something like an aditional 10-20 per tier and class). And third (propably most important, since this has to happen even if they don't increase the number of picks and utilities), the utilities have to be reworked in their effect, so that there is stuff that is actually worth picking (the less there are, the more they have to be reworked). A few more general things that are less skill dependent, additional active abilities, dmg increases, dmg reduction increases, etc. etc. etc.

I'm not sure you fully appreciate what that part of your sentence entails.

Probably no more than what it took to replace the skill trees and nerf everything. As much as I like to criticize I'm sure some thought went into these changes.

So what? So suck it up...that's what. They weren't intended, this is an online game with multilayer interactions...your terrible choices impacted others. Had you hybrid fanatics stuck to yourselves, maybe this wouldn't have happened...but thanks to the crappy hybrid tank who would queue as a tank for HM GF missions or the guy clever enough to figure out a rotation, skills and stance that gave him superior damage and damage reduction - they're gone. This is simply a fix for unintended builds...the OP ones and the terribly crappy ones.

Nice personal attack there. I enjoy different things than you, I must be a fanatic. Also ironic that you keep going about change happening and adapting to it yet you cling to "it wasn't intended" like a security blanket. Intentions change like everything else, as demonstrated by free training costs, other positive or negative changes to this game not part of the original plan (which I would wager is more than you'd think), other people and pretty much anything else, ever.

So if you're done plugging your ears and just repeating the same thing over and over perhaps you'd like to provide an objective argument for why controlled hybrids should fundamentally be excluded. If you can't or won't you're just as inflexible as the rest of us, you just happen to be on the "winning" side.

Flyby/OS. They specifically stated, if I remember correctly, the reason they removed it was because they did not feel that operatives and scoundrels should be using that ability. If I am correct he said it didn't FEEL right.

That is the kind of toxic change I am speaking of. A change for not other reason other than the devs feel it is not a good "fit" for the class, especially if it is a popular "iconic" ability.

Indeed. This "thou must play only this way" mentality is really turning me off the game. And apart from the stories I wasn't very on to begin with.

At least for me it's not about understanding the new skills or how the class works. It's about the options that have been taken away. It doesn't matter that "all is destictive for a class is gained automatically".. what I don't like is these utilities, the lack of options they present, both in how many we are allowed to pick (only 7 or 8 instead of 46 or 51) and in what effect they have. So far, I didn't really find any utility that sounded really interesting. All of them are, at best, nice to have but nothing really special. So, all this "the choices that you will have are more meaningful" announcements are, from my point of view, not true. So we have less options to customize our character, and the options are as good/bad or even worse than before.

Previously you had two (2) choices for every tree:

PVP

PVE

Or are you saying your Darkness/Madness Assassin tanked NiM DP/DF? Btw, I'm still waiting someone to upload video to YT to prove it was possible. But looks really bad.

Edited by Halinalle

So far for me, there are way to many PVP talents and not nearly enough meant to be better for PVE.

It's all about breaking stuns or CC or having a better gap closer or how to knock back someone more. Just way to much PVP skill.

Some classes are worse than others but you can see it in every class and thats a disappointment. I thought it would be a little more even in choices.

You managed to sneak "slap in the face" in there. Nice job.

There was nothing drastic about this. If you think this is drastic I would hate to see how you handle other MMOs. Get some perspective and you'll be ok.

i dont play other mmos. what other mmos do is none of my concern. talk about other mmos where people care about other mmos.

and while i dont really care about the skill trees, this thread and the dozens of others are evidence that people do seem to care.

So far for me, there are way to many PVP talents and not nearly enough meant to be better for PVE.

It's all about breaking stuns or CC or having a better gap closer or how to knock back someone more. Just way to much PVP skill.

Some classes are worse than others but you can see it in every class and thats a disappointment. I thought it would be a little more even in choices.

Interesting, I was wondering cause the talent I saw where in my mind more PvP related than PvE.

Thought I was the only one feeling this.

Interesting, I was wondering cause the talent I saw where in my mind more PvP related than PvE.

Thought I was the only one feeling this.

You're not the only one.

It wasn't so bad on my healing sage but my shadow was almost entirely PVP stuff. It was a bit disappointing. Almost to the point that if I didn't choose a single skill and ran a FP or OPS, no one would have a clue I left it all blank.