Why F2Pers Restrictions need to be raised. List of Examples between F2P MMOs

CassandraSaturn

Self-entitlement mixed with the grass is always greener mentality, and you end up with a bunch of people that expect something for nothing.

If there is self entitlement that is from subscribers, not f2p or preferred. you only have to look at mirror to see one of the most self entitled person in this forum.

Those are kinda crap examples. Rift does have a pretty good F2P model, bar some things(such as earing slots and a gear authorization being locked behind a long grind or paywall). Firefall is 98% free, but is failing to make a profit here in the U.S due to the fact its cash shop is so absurdly priced it puts the CM to shame.

-Duran'del

Long grind? i have already unlocked those and took me only 7 days and 7 days mean 4-6 hours play time every day. the only gear authorization is that ear ring and the rest is notoriety based lockout like WoW.

Why should they get "nearly" the same content as subscribers

Stop being cheap and just subscribe and stop whinging... Currently you pay nothing to play

Ummm...no he is paying to play and that is why he can write on this forums. f2p/preferred can't write on forums. get your head straight.

Why is SWTOR so toxic when it comes to the idea of free to play? No other MMO community I've seen acts even close to this, and it's getting pretty silly. You can't even have a conversation about the restrcitions without some sarcastic comments about freeloaders or outrage over their subscriptions being slightly devalued.

I think it may have come from the fact this game was originally sub-only, and then released F2P and Pref tiers. Except the F2P is a glorified trial version of the game with the vanilla version of it all, and it isn't advertised as a glorified trial version (as a former F2P, I remember looking at the what I did and did not get, and logically figured that I was getting a glorified trial version).

That being said, I am just speculating. I also don't see a real need to change one way or another by much if any. I played the F2P version until I got a job and could pay for a subscription.

If there is self entitlement that is from subscribers, not f2p or preferred. you only have to look at mirror to see one of the most self entitled person in this forum.

I would be impressed in how you prove that fact, since I don't exactly demand anything or say I am owed money. But nice straw man in the end there.

The no chat until lvl 10 i agree with completely. That would just be inviting gold spammers in droves. If they wanna spam fleet gotta get to level 10 first, and with lower XP and all it could take a day or two of playing a few hours each. Spammers want a game that's easy to advertise in, and some F2P "problems" are actually spam deterrents, seeing the ideal game has instant free chat so they can download game and go right to spamming.

If I was going to remove one thing it would be the limitations on how many flashpoints/warzones people can do per week as F2P.

This quality of life change is beneficial to everyone. Including subscribers, as it injects much needed players into those queues.

to everyone posting this reply, I was originally a F2Per, before my best friend helped me get the Sub and Revan expansion. I did find F2P thing within SWTOR to be bit limited and is big turn down. it certainly does makes me feel like I'm not part of an Star Wars Universe.

I'm story freak, i just love stories. I came to SWTOR from Bioware Forums to enjoy the storyline of my own characters set in Star Wars Universe. that's what I came here for. and your story is just restricted if you can't enjoy it all way to the end.

Edited by CassandraSaturn

to everyone posting this reply, I was originally a F2Per, before my best friend helped me get the Sub and Revan expansion. I did find F2P thing within SWTOR to be bit limited and is big turn down. it certainly does makes me feel like I'm not part of an Star Wars Universe.

I'm story freak, i just love stories. I came to SWTOR from Bioware Forums to enjoy the storyline of my own characters set in Star Wars Universe. that's what I came here for. and your story is just restricted if you can't enjoy it all way to the end.

That is the reason why f2p don't bother with contributing to the mmo part of the game. 99% f2p just play the game like single player game while hogging bandwidth and then leave after they are done. those who would actually play the game for mmo part don't even bother playing the game after a certain point, usually when they run out of quick bar. this situation doesn't help subscribers any way, that is why i keep asking for removal of quick bar restriction, fp and wz restriction so that we would have more f2p actually playing the mmo part and making faster queue pop. but highly self entitled and "intelligent" subscriber base of this game can not go beyond "i pay, they don't pay" argument. I guess ignorance is a bliss.

If I was going to remove one thing it would be the limitations on how many flashpoints/warzones people can do per week as F2P.

This quality of life change is beneficial to everyone. Including subscribers, as it injects much needed players into those queues.

It is simple common sense, even a nutless monkey would understand that logic. But common sense is not a common feature of swtor subscriber base.

Translation: I dont want to pay my sub anymore but dont want to experience an increase in my inconvenience. Please amend the free2play model to allow me to play for free with no drawbacks.
That's pretty much what I hear every time one of these threads comes along.

For precisely $0, you get access to an enormous amount of game content which is meant to give you a "taste" so you'll want to become a subscriber and get more out of the game.

Bioware, being a for-profit company, has to look after its own self interests and reducing the incentive to subscribe is counter productive.

Freeloaders get to experience the Vanilla class stories without paying a penny.

I fail to see the issue quite frankly, no matter how much you wish to twist it around.

x 1000.

Never understood why the "difficulties" of leveling up, after not paying a dime to enter the game, should be lifted as an enticement.

You want all the bennies of a sub? Then sub.

I think it may have come from the fact this game was originally sub-only, and then released F2P and Pref tiers. Except the F2P is a glorified trial version of the game with the vanilla version of it all, and it isn't advertised as a glorified trial version (as a former F2P, I remember looking at the what I did and did not get, and logically figured that I was getting a glorified trial version).

Because Free is exactly that, a glorified trial, providing each player with enormous amount of content and enticing them to buy the full product. Pretty much all trials and demos did this back in the day...

The OP and those that support giving more to F2P players are products of the "World of Warcraft" generation

of MMORPG'rs.

Why do I say that? It's the new generation of gamers that expect everything to be handed to them for free

and immediately. A new expansion? I want to play it NOW. Give me level 55 NOW for FREE so that I can

play NOW.

Armor and weapons only available through Operations and Flashpoints? NO. I WANT IT NOW. FOR FREE. OR RL MONEY.

And this isn't the only things. Anyone who played an MMORPG before said game knew that dying meant you got penalized. In DAOC and EQ, dying meant you lost half a day or more of grinding work. Nowadays people get upset when they aren't given an XP bonus and buffs to "get back on track."

No... The F2P model here is perfect. You are getting the vanilla game, which is pretty awesome IMO.

Because Free is exactly that, a glorified trial, providing each player with enormous amount of content and enticing them to buy the full product. Pretty much all trials and demos did this back in the day...

Except it isn't being stated that it is more like a trial version of the MMO, so that may be why some people feel that F2P are entitled to more. I disagree IMO, but I do agree that I did play the game like a SRPG rather than an MMO, but that was more for reasons of "Stop telling me I suck at my role, that is why I am trying to learn it!", which never happened to me in this game, but DCO on the other hand...

As a former "Freep", I did find chat restrictive, but I acknowledged why (to prevent spamming) because I have seen planet GenChats like NS fill with one person going LFG [Heroic +2-4 Name here] when there weren't many people on in that level range, and the persons often post every ten seconds or so. Maybe not actually spam, but it was why I can see why the restriction.

I became a Preferred player because I wanted the customization options, which was like a mini-trial of subscriber version. Then I decided that I wanted to sub. The system worked for me at least. *tosses another $30 USD for a 60 day time card*

If anything were to change, I do think Prefs should be able to post in the Customer Service forum, with it being moderated, so they can get help from other players on their game bugs or the like.

The OP and those that support giving more to F2P players are products of the "World of Warcraft" generation

of MMORPG'rs.

Why do I say that? It's the new generation of gamers that expect everything to be handed to them for free

and immediately. A new expansion? I want to play it NOW. Give me level 55 NOW for FREE so that I can

play NOW.

Armor and weapons only available through Operations and Flashpoints? NO. I WANT IT NOW. FOR FREE. OR RL MONEY.

And this isn't the only things. Anyone who played an MMORPG before said game knew that dying meant you got penalized. In DAOC and EQ, dying meant you lost half a day or more of grinding work. Nowadays people get upset when they aren't given an XP bonus and buffs to "get back on track."

No... The F2P model here is perfect. You are getting the vanilla game, which is pretty awesome IMO.

actually, I'm not big time or diehard WoW player.. never was. I did't touch it until 2013.. so I was late bloomer.

but I did't like WoW so I unsubbed and moved to SWTOR a year later.

Giving expansions to subs for free would be a nice gesture. As for F2P restrictions, I'm rather indifferent about those. My brother seems to like preferred status well enough, and he's even running ops with me almost every week.

This game REALLY needs a way for subs to earn CC in game other than achievements. That would be a HUGE incentive to sub IMO, instead of using punitive means.

Subs already earn CC just by being subs. It starts from 500 per month and goes up to 700 if you have the 6-month plan and a security key. Effectively that's 25-40% off the sub price.

And don't get me started on the fact you have unavoidable lock boxes wasting space in your inventory. Oh they don't force you to buy the keys to open them, but unlike here, you have no choice but to waste space on them.

You can't even delete them? Wow, that's harsh.