The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Star Wars 7 Official Trailer!

JidaiDerriphan

It feels to me another production took Star Wars models and put them into its scenes. They apparently forgot the lightsabers, however.

I'm still looking forward to the movie, but the teaser gave me bad hints, can't avoid comparing it to the Revenge of the Sith teaser, which is light years ahead in my opinion. Or comparing it to something closer - the SWTOR cinematics feel more Star Wars than The Force Awakens teaser. Just because they inserted the Millenium Falcon, TIE Fighters and X-Wings doesn't give it the soul.

I am not sure how much merit the new film will have on its own, other than using nostalgia icons in every possible scene it can.

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When I saw this first, very drunk yday night I thought: "Is this comedy?".

A black dude for the quota (rly I burst into laughter whenever I see him pop up ^^), a pseudo-funny droid, when the trailer is supposed to be dramatic, riding a fridge, some forced action by zooming in too far...fast cuts, as we know from Abrams, which I hate and a dude activating his lightsaber in the finnish taiga, plus some over the edge deep forced omg so ******ish voice.

Sorry to sound like some butthurt old SW-Fan, but that is exactly what I feared after Abrams' ST movies. ^^

Is anybody else worried that none of the old main characters have been shown in the trailer? Does that mean they look as worn out as they are in the movie, so they didnt feel like scaring us off by showing them in a trailer?

The new light-saber will probably mean a style change in fighting ( perhaps only for this sith) , in which it will resemble more the hack and slash of medieval times then the fast samurai-like style the first six movies uphold.

Furthermore, I am more interested in how the Empire managed to survive 30 years of war again the New Republic. Hopefully they won't let the rebellion still be ongoing, since that would be a bit ridiculous. They better make it somewhat realistic.

Most important is the fact that this pretty much confirms the Star Wars plot rumor that was released some months ago, I must admit that I'm not a fan of "Luke Skywalker The Hermit". I was hoping for a secret resurgence of the Jedi Order on Tython.

To end my prayer: Please let it be better then the Sequels....

PS: RotS not included

PPS: That is definitely the (modified) voice of Benedict Cumberbatch

[...] that Sith in the brief glimpse we got of him was actually Darth Revan.

How would that be for a twist? [...]

Man, I hope not. Let the poor Revan rest in peace. I don't want him to become new Mr Wayland, who has to be somehwere in almost every new installment of Alien franchise (and he dies because he's bad). Leave the chap alone!

As for the trailer... No matter what, I will go and watch the movie, no doubt about that. Will I like it thought? Well, that's not entirely up to me, now is it :)

EDIT: If JJ really wants to make a nod towards fans, he should make Revan as a Force Apparition, who appears only for 2 minutes, shows everyone a middle finger and goes away. Yea...

Edited by The_Natoorat

Actually, if I don't see it, it will be because of the 4 hour trailer known as Star Trek and Star Trek Into Darkness.

I think the hardcore Star Wars fans need to prepare themselves to be shocked...and not in a good way.

JJ is coming... :(

Nothing can be worse than a movie with Jar Jar Binks and we saw Episode I multiple times. Im a FIlmmaker also, and i think J.J. Did a good job with Star Trek as an action movie but FLARES and we have J.J word that it wont happen again on Star Wars.

The new film have the original Actors, a great Cast and Lawrence Kasdan, the writer of the best star wars Movie (The empire strike Back) and ROTJ. But as you say, we should be prepared to be shocked because you didnt like 2 movies about STAR TREK and after a few shots you already know that the new Movie will be bad.

We must trust on you.

The new film have the original Actors

Which are put in the movie for no other reason than nostalgia value and fan-service. Just like Tattooine. I actually like new Star Treks but wasting screentime on stuff we already know so well just to pander to casual fans is...meh.

Definietly not a good start. Though the teaser itself wasn't bad.

I'm looking forward to it.

I want that lightsaber in game.

I loved seeing the X-Wings zooming across the water, and who doesn't get a moist-eyed chill of delight to see the Falcon mixing it up with Tie Fighters again?

I'm happy for it. No one can tell if it's going to be good or bad on an 88 second trailer with teaser images. I'd rather take the high road and hope for the best. I'm sick of the venom and hate the SW community drenches itself with. It's old hat and we're like a joke to other fandom communities because of it.

I've got my Jedi, my Stronghold, my Guild and my Saetele Shan double saber until then. I'll be epic enough for my own part until we see Luke and the others again. That'll suit me fine. :)

I am sure the light saber will show u in the CM, most likely not til next year at the 4th anniversery of this game, most likely it will cost around the same as the Black/Black Dye. be bound to the char, none addable to the collection.

They might even change it a bit allow you to put 2 crystals in it, both not the same. of course then it will be 3000 CC.

I wanted to write it yesterday, but I didn't have as much time as I'd like to have. :D So let's start:

Woah! Such an amazing teaser trailer! In my oppinion it was well-made, but to write what things I liked the most, I should start with saying that atmosphere in general was just epic. The narrator, scenes, that mystery... I'm looking forward to see it next year in the cinema!

But to name things I personally liked the most, then there were four great things: the scene with X-wings; new Stormtroopers' armour; evil character; and of course Falcom Millenium along with Star Wars theme. :t_smile:

The notable thing is definitely the first scene though. When I saw this man in Stormtrooper's armour, I was wondering if he can be that cadet from Star Wars: Rebels, who wanted to save his sister... I won't write anything more, because it'd be a spoiler. Let's just stay with my thoughts about the hypothetical cadet who grew-up and became a Stormtrooper and might be that man from the trailer. :) Today I can say that I doubt he is, because The Force Awakens is set approximately 30 years after Return of the Jedi and man from trailer looks young.

Although nothing is perfect, so now it's time for the things I didn't like. First of all, evil character's lightsaber. Seriously, was this crossguard really necessary? I know we will see if it was next year, but I'm skeptical for now. I hope that the crossguard is going to have some functions, like dunno, giving ability to make a tricky move and use them to defeat an opponent?

Another thing: cute droid. I really liked it, but I'd like to hear about his functions and/or role in the movie. I hope it will not be Jar Jar Binks v2.0 ...

That'd be all for now. :) I'm satisfied anyway and I've got a feeling that it's gonna be a good movie.

edited at 00:04 , 1.12.2014

Edited by LeoRegulusAdam
emotions went down + I wanted to make this post look better

The design resembles a Scottish Claymore which makes me think it is intended for use with the Shien/Djem So form much like Dooku's curved Hilt is designed for use with Makashi but many can't help but point out perceived flaws with its design.

Let's get a few things straight:

Firstly the idea of a Lightsaber is fictional to begin with hence you are claiming that something that doesn't exist in the first place is impractical in the form seen in the trailer.

Secondly it's a known "fact" (and I use the term fact lightly seeing as, once again, Star Wars is all fiction) that the Lightsaber is extremely dangerous for a user to wield without the proper training. You essentially need a connection to the force to use one. If you can handle a Lightsaber to begin with then the Cross-guard shouldn't trouble you.

Finally each Force User designs and constructs their own Lightsaber. Why would the Dark Jedi (or possibly Sith) seen in the trailer construct a Lightsaber that they couldn't wield efectively?

Edited by Hawk_Hawkins

The design resembles a Scottish Claymore which makes me think it is intended for use with the Shien/Djem So form much like Dooku's curved Hilt is designed for use with Makashi but many can't help but point out perceived flaws with its design.

Firstly the idea of a Lightsaber is fictional to begin with hence you are claiming that something that doesn't exist in the first place is impractical in the form seen in the trailer.

Secondly it's a known "fact" (and I use the term fact lightly seeing as, once again, Star Wars is all fiction) that the Lightsaber is extremely dangerous for a user to wield without the proper training. You essentially need a connection to the force to use one. If you can handle a Lightsaber to begin with then the Cross-guard shouldn't trouble you.

Finally each Force User designs and constructs their own Lightsaber. Why would the Dark Jedi (or possibly Sith) seen in the trailer construct a Lightsaber that they couldn't wield efectively?

The problem is if the emitters are designed to block lightsabers and if that's truly designed the issue stems from the fact that if a lightsaber blade slides down this blade said emitters would get cut in half and become nonfunctional.

The problem is if the emitters are designed to block lightsabers and if that's truly designed the issue stems from the fact that if a lightsaber blade slides down this blade said emitters would get cut in half and become nonfunctional.

Unless, theoretically only of course, his hilt is of cortosis, and a light blade severing them won't happen. Light saber combat may change entirely for this movie. We have no idea. The OT had saber battles where the combatants sometimes looked uncoordinated, or drunk, and then evolved into the flurry of flourishes that were I, II, and III. Battles in these movies may be more visceral, more medieval like.

So what planets do we think we're seeing here? Tatooine most likely and Alderaan? Its a mix review of the trailer. I liked it, but dont care for the claymore style nor the soccer ball android. Both are completely forgivable as long as they dont become the focus of scenes.

I think one of the issues w/a claymore style is that its generally associated w/larger, physically impressive individuals. If the Sith pictured is impressive physically to any of his foes, I think it wont be as much of an issue. I'm sure that they didnt just give him a claymore style LS w/out some fore-thought, which will be displayed later in fight sequences. Which i'm sure will be impressive as time goes by.

So what planets do we think we're seeing here? Tatooine most likely and Alderaan? Its a mix review of the trailer. I liked it, but dont care for the claymore style nor the soccer ball android. Both are completely forgivable as long as they dont become the focus of scenes.

I think one of the issues w/a claymore style is that its generally associated w/larger, physically impressive individuals. If the Sith pictured is impressive physically to any of his foes, I think it wont be as much of an issue. I'm sure that they didnt just give him a claymore style LS w/out some fore-thought, which will be displayed later in fight sequences. Which i'm sure will be impressive as time goes by.

Just a note. Alderran is gone in the movie time line.

Saw the trailer, and as a fan who grew up on the re-mastered editions of the original trilogy as a kid, I am very excited.

One bit of the trailer that caught me off guard though, was that red lightsaber weapon design. What reason could there possibly be to deviate from the standard single blade as seen before? The most rational explanation I can think of in terms of practicality, would be to grant the wielder a counter or advantage over a rival that uses a certain style of saber combat. That, and the intimidation factor of seeing something unexpected, perhaps?

For a Sith, I'd bet there would be more of an offensive purpose, after blocking a rival's strike. Holding the weapon horizontally, while stopping an overhead blow, the Sith wielder could counter with the cross-guard to go for a killing blow to the rival's neck/head area, if the opponent swung in close enough. Again, very situational, so I'm curious to see how the movie depicts this non-standard saber design in practice.

Edited by AztecSoul

I agree with your oppinion about the style suitable for that new lightsaber and I do know that Star Wars is soap opera, fantasy, at all events it's not real, but I didn't understand your point in the part about process of creating and mastering a lightsaber. We do now that Force users were able to create their own weapon and were trained to use it, but you can see that various forms are not all. They can be connected with fighting with one lightsaber, double-bladed lightsaber or with using two lightsabers at the same time. Each style and each type of a lightsaber has it's advantages and disadvantages; strong and weak points.

Going back to the new lightsaber from teaser trailer, what do you think will be the role of a crossguard? Do you really need two small beams to have an additional block (like in fighting with Claymores that you mentioned), especially when you know about different forms and (let's call them) "classic" lightsabers?

That's the main reason I disliked a lightwip or a forked lightsaber... In my oppinion they can be seen as cool features, but if you analyse all connections in a line of: combat-forms-lightsabers , you will notice that it's not something that perfectly fits Star Wars from the logic side, but again - no matter whether it is not logic in 100% or in 95%, because it can still be great (ergo it doesn't mean it's bad).

My oppinion presents the statement of the new lightsaber as a nice weapon (I loved the sound of it and overall outlook) that might be used by a Dark Side user for dirty tricks and moves to fool and defeat the opponent, more or less as AztecSoul said. Nevertheless cortosis, in my oppinion, could be better as a crossguard.