3.0 Changes Opinions

Kaos_KidSWTOR

I agree, Marksmann seems to be very fin in 3.0

Knocbck on Penetrating Blasts, plus 80% slow, and you can even reset it on demand with SV!

Then 30% more surge for all your abilities, seems nice ;)

I'm just not sure, which one heroic should i choose as second slot, any ideas?

60% ao dmg reduction seems nice, or maybe Hold your ground, dunno

I'm going with the 60% AOE reduction to start out with. AOE seems to have gotten a buff across the board. I might change if its seems I don't need it.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Kind of wish they'd change Diversion to only reduce accuracy and no longer knock people out of cover. That thing was really annoying even when only MM had it, and now it's going to be everywhere :p

Almost all sniper abilities can now be used without being in cover, so you can just continue with your rotation. You only lose the utility and defensive stuff from cover.

Almost all sniper abilities can now be used without being in cover, so you can just continue with your rotation. You only lose the utility and defensive stuff from cover.

You get -45% accuracy, can be leaped too... Definately annoying :) That's why my slinger are almost always MM in regs.

Can't tell you how much time and effort I put into leveling up a sniper before this expansion went live... Got yelled at by GF because I was spending to much time on the game, was almost late a few times at work, didn't want to go to work, etc..

Then this craptastic patch hits and it has turned this game into DOT city...

I spent a lot of money on this game recently and feel like a complete idiot for doing it!

Anyways I un-subbed... Back to Planetside 2 I go... Yeaaaahhh...... :(

I'm still leveling, but my first impressions of Marksmanship are good. I like not having Shatter Shot in the rotation anymore and Suppressive Fire does a good job at replacing OS for the AoE damage we've been lacking since OS got gutted. OS is still painfully weak, but that's just a thematic issue now that Suppressive Fire is good.

The change to Laze Target is excellent.

Marksmanship was in a good place rotationally before 3.0 and now it's slightly better. It lacked any meaningful AoE before 3.0, and now it has plenty. With the loss of OS, MM also lacked meaningful burst damage in the 20-30sec range, but with Penetrating Blasts + Sniper Volley and Laze Target + 6pc set bonus, it should be at least a little better in that range. (I.e., Penetrating Blasts is better than Series of Shots, so it ought to make up a slightly higher percentage of DPS; therefore Sniper Volley should become a slightly more powerful burst-damage tool.) I consider the improvement to Laze Target an even trade for the loss of Explosive Probe for burst damage in the 1-3sec range, and a gain in usefulness for every other purpose, since it doesn't interrupt regular rotation nor cost extra energy.

I haven't played the other specs yet, but I didn't play them very much before 3.0 either. My initial verdict for Marksmanship for 3.0 is an A. I can't give it an A+ because the thematic issues with Frag Grenade and Orbital Strike, but practically speaking, I'm pleased. If it turns out we're behind in both burst and sustained damage again, I'll revise my score - but if that's the case, an increase in damage on Ambush and/or Penetrating Blasts could easily solve both issues.

Now if my launcher would just finish repairing so I could play again. I'll blame my pre-beta copy of Windows 10 for the carnage...

Edited by GrandHighAdmiral

I played 6 of the advanced classes for now and Sniper is my main.

Changes are marginal for Sniper.

Marksman has the same rotation, The buff on suppresive fire makes it for the loss of OS and frag grenade. But the channeling requirement give away a part of the dynamism of Sniper during AoE phase. Now it's static and one button every 6s.

Virulence, well... I'll try the 3 cull rotation but for the rest it is the same gameplay.

Engineering is a mess for me now. Maybe all the heterogeneous CD was made for PvP and not PvE. I have to try this a bit longer.

My problem is : no change of gameplay, marginal changes of rotation. So I will keep my sniper for Operation, but for the fun of all the new skills on 3.0, I will go for the other classes, especially mercenary :cool:

Other classes get 3.0, sniper gets 2.11

On Suppressive Fire:

It now hits 8 targets

It now uses 15 energy/GCD instead of 45 energy up front

It now (presumably) does more damage (enough to almost match Snipe in terms of single target DPS if you talent the +25% damage for it)

End result - Who cares you don't have frag grenades anymore? Suppressive Fire rocks!

(Also Orbital damage buff in exchange for costing twice as much, and Penetrating Rounds is gonna be a better series of shots so the burst has just been moved into a rotational move)

This! I've leveled several Snipers but after playing non DPS characters for awhile I'm running my first gunslinger. Sweeping Gunfire (suppressive fire) is awesome! High damage, very wide area of attack, long range, no cool down. I'm only level 17 but my rotation right now is really simple:

Sweeping Gunfire, everyone dies.

Need to kill 45 Black Suns? No problem, I'll have that done real quick with Sweeping Gunfire. I know it won't be this easy (and really, it's almost too easy) but it's a lot of fun right now.