The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Question regarding 3.0 DPS rotations

Chthonos

For those that are in the 3.0 beta/PTS I am curious about how different the DPS rotations will be for the Disciplines, compared to the current 2.x equivalents.

I have been an AP player since before launch, and while I have truly enjoyed, and often chuckled about, the jacked up flamethrower, I am looking forward to the direction AP is going in for 3.0. Based on the information released so far, I have looked at the abilities available, and the skills and utilities that affect them, and have put together a priority list, but that is only a best guess at this point.

How close to the current 2.x Pyro rotation will the 3.0 AP rotation be? And similarly, how close to the current 2.x AP rotation will the 3.0 Pyro rotation be?

well, new AP has some new mechanics, and a pretty snazzy looking new Flame Burst, new mechanics being Energy Blast which is used after 4 Rail Shots.

Pyro has Scorch and Flaming Fist, and Superheated Flamethrower and a new version of Flame Barrage which makes your next Flame Burst/Flame Sweep free instead of Rocket Punch, very much needed QoL!

well, new AP has some new mechanics, and a pretty snazzy looking new Flame Burst, new mechanics being Energy Blast which is used after 4 Rail Shots.

To-each-their-own but I hate the AP flame burst...Just a ball of haze shooting at your target. Looks like they rushed the graphic design on it; maybe took an hour to create. IMHO

Flame burst is one of my favorite looking abilities in the game. Its what you'd expect a flame burst shot from your wrist to look like.

Edited by Burrowa

I don't play on the pts but i guess that will mainly remain the same.

for AP 3.0 :

RB (for the dot & +3% dmg)

Energy burst (with 4stack)

RS

TD

Explosive Dart (with the +50% damage)

RP

Magnetic Blast as filler if heat low enough

RpS

It will be something like this, maybe just a few adjustement if Energyburst do some crappy damage or if Explosive dart even with +50% do less damage than magnetic Blast.

I don't play on the pts but i guess that will mainly remain the same.

for AP 3.0 :

RB (for the dot & +3% dmg)

Energy burst (with 4stack)

RS

TD

Explosive Dart (with the +50% damage)

RP

Magnetic Blast as filler if heat low enough

RpS

It will be something like this, maybe just a few adjustement if Energyburst do some crappy damage or if Explosive dart even with +50% do less damage than magnetic Blast.

You're forgetting the armor debuff/tech damage debuff.

Opener will most likely be:

ED -> TD -> RB -> RS -> SS -> EB -> RS -> MB -> MB -> RS -> rotation

Then the rotation would work similarly to live pyro, only with more room to juggle the fillers around due to the 100% proc not needing a buildup. Sure, High Friction Rails (or whatever they're calling it) is venting 3 less heat, but everything is cheaper too. Energy Burst's 20 energy will be similar to if we still had to Incendiary Round every 18 seconds (its a 24 second 'cooldown') and Gut never has to be refreshed once placed thanks to Rail Shot + Sticky Grenade.

Overall, it should be about as strong as live pyro (in comparison to everything else. Remember - universal DPS nerfs on everything) and play similarly to it as well.

As for 3.0 Pyro, it should play similarly to 2.X Advanced Prototype, with 1 exception. No more Death from Above. This is because of the increased cost of flamethrower, as well as the incorporation of the new ability "Scorch" every 30 seconds - so there is no more room for Death from Above in the rotation.

Edited by TACeMossie

Then the rotation would work similarly to live pyro, only with more room to juggle the fillers around due to the 100% proc not needing a buildup. Sure, High Friction Rails (or whatever they're calling it) is venting 3 less heat, but everything is cheaper too. Energy Burst's 20 energy will be similar to if we still had to Incendiary Round every 18 seconds (its a 24 second 'cooldown') and Gut never has to be refreshed once placed thanks to Rail Shot + Sticky Grenade.

Overall, it should be about as strong as live pyro (in comparison to everything else. Remember - universal DPS nerfs on everything) and play similarly to it as well.

As for 3.0 Pyro, it should play similarly to 2.X Advanced Prototype, with 1 exception. No more Death from Above. This is because of the increased cost of flamethrower, as well as the incorporation of the new ability "Scorch" every 30 seconds - so there is no more room for Death from Above in the rotation.

I think you got your VG and PT mixed up :D

In theory would it be possible to have a double proc of the bleed if you ED and Railshot go off at the same time?

Also is there a certain amount of alacrity that could be used to make it were you can get double procs of the bleed? Since alacrity speeds up how fast dots tick if I am not mistaken.

Edited by Mularky

In theory would it be possible to have a double proc of the bleed if you ED and Railshot go off at the same time?

Also is there a certain amount of alacrity that could be used to make it were you can get double procs of the bleed? Since alacrity speeds up how fast dots tick if I am not mistaken.

I was wondering about it recently, when we used RP we've got the damage from the attack itself + one tick from the CGC, same goes with RS. Will it be the same with the RB dot or not ?

Will we have RS damage + 1 tick from RB dot ? Hope so because right now RB dot isn't as Strong as CGC + IM + TD dot

• 2 weeks later...
I also have a question about 3.0 Adv Prototype, is this also viable as PVE dps? I haven't read into the fine details of the abilities.. I'm assuming it's decent for PVE just a little more heat management since new pyro gets the heat vents every 2 seconds. I read somewhere that old pyro was very often overheated if used in raids. I'm really hoping it comes down to a choice of burst vs dots with these updates. Any info would help

I also have a question about 3.0 Adv Prototype, is this also viable as PVE dps? I haven't read into the fine details of the abilities.. I'm assuming it's decent for PVE just a little more heat management since new pyro gets the heat vents every 2 seconds. I read somewhere that old pyro was very often overheated if used in raids. I'm really hoping it comes down to a choice of burst vs dots with these updates. Any info would help
it seems that way; burst v dots.

new AP will play like the old pyro, trying to proc ppa as much as possible (in the case of single targets) and new pyro will feature a lot of dots. im excited to see the dps difference between the specs.

i still need a lot more experience on my pt to stop overheating so fast, it seems one mistake will really punish you. with my pyro merc i've done it for so long i can dps indefinitely.

This all sounds good.. My main has been AP for a while now I just love the play style and next to zero heat management but due to PFT mechanics with single & multiple targets I was only ever able to shine clearing trash or pulling aggro off someone, one thing I'll never forget was my shoulder cannon volley in TFB fight -the hit box is so large it made Shoulder cannon appear to have no range limit.. I felt like I had heat seaker missiles rapid fire from my back from like 40+ meters away, while facing away from target running and jumping through portals lol. Anyway I'm def gona be excited to see some Single target numbers on pyrotech this week.

Are you sure? It seems odd that you are pushing a railshot ahead of energy blast considering that you are starting with full stacks. To me it would make more sense to do

ED -> TD -> RB -> EB -> RS -> SS -> RS -> MB -> MB -> etc

Are you sure? It seems odd that you are pushing a railshot ahead of energy blast considering that you are starting with full stacks. To me it would make more sense to do

ED -> TD -> RB -> EB -> RS -> SS -> RS -> MB -> MB -> etc

I'm delaying the EB a little so it gets boosted by the tech debuff (TD) and the armor debuff (RP). But its also a bad idea to give up a PPA Proc, so thats why I used the RS a little earlier as well.

But yeah, the difference between our 2 is:

ED - Procs PPA

TD - Does damage a bit later

RB - Puts a bleed on

RS - Me - vents 5 heat, does damage/EB - You - uses 20 heat, does damage

RP - Me - Provides armor debuff/RS - You - vents 5 heat, does damage

RS - Me - Vents 5 heat, does damage/MB - You - Uses 15 heat, does damage

End result, we both end on a MB, except mine has more RS and the same amount of EBs in the end (if not more) because you are delaying PPA procs, which in turn delays EBs later on.

Edited by TACeMossie

Wait I missed that ED now procs PPA. So wouldn't you want to drop ED off the opener then?

I realize that dropping the RP back is a slight damage loss on the first EB, but I would think that it would be more DPS to have the second ED come sooner

Wait I missed that ED now procs PPA. So wouldn't you want to drop ED off the opener then?

I realize that dropping the RP back is a slight damage loss on the first EB, but I would think that it would be more DPS to have the second ED come sooner

If you delay the SS 4 cooldowns, then you're fine using ED in the opener. The only thing is, we aren't even sure if ED will be strong enough to justify using yet, as they were playing around with damage values.

Well, I know, but I can't tell anything till tomorrow. And tomorrow, my updated guide goes up.

Though if we are going by the numbers on Dulfy's discipline calculator, Magnetic Blast is twice as strong as ED (pre ED's damage buff), and gets a surge boost as well, so I'd probably say we drop it out of the single target rotation.

Edited by TACeMossie

If you delay the SS 4 cooldowns, then you're fine using ED in the opener. The only thing is, we aren't even sure if ED will be strong enough to justify using yet, as they were playing around with damage values.

Ah, I was interpreting it to mean that ED proced at the detonation, now I see that its at the beginning.

Also in my hour of experience on live Tactic's Sticky is in the 2k tooltip range with augmented power stacked Obroan.

Ah, I was interpreting it to mean that ED proced at the detonation, now I see that its at the beginning.

Also in my hour of experience on live Tactic's Sticky is in the 2k tooltip range with augmented power stacked Obroan.

Yeah its worse than Tac Surge. Oh well, new set bonus has changed the opener anyway!

AP -> Gut -> HiB -> SS -> TS -> CB -> HiB -> TS -> HiB -> SS -> AP -> TS -> HiB -> Full Auto -> SS -> HiB -> CB -> TS -> TS -> AP -> SS -> HiB -> TS -> HiB ->....

Damn right I included full auto in the opener. That thing hits like a truck and is now pushback immune. The issue is fitting it in somewhere without running out of ammo

Also no RNG means we can burn all our ammo early on and then hit recharge cells/reserve powercell.

Edited by TACeMossie

Yeah its worse than Tac Surge. Oh well, new set bonus has changed the opener anyway!

AP -> Gut -> HiB -> SS -> TS -> CB -> HiB -> TS -> HiB -> SS -> AP -> TS -> HiB -> Full Auto -> SS -> HiB -> CB -> TS -> TS -> AP -> SS -> HiB -> TS -> HiB ->....

Damn right I included full auto in the opener. That thing hits like a truck and is now pushback immune. The issue is fitting it in somewhere without running out of ammo

Also no RNG means we can burn all our ammo early on and then hit recharge cells/reserve powercell.

Couldn't you use DFA instead of unload? especially since there's no minimum range on it

Yeah, but:

Mortar Volley (DF/DM Mix of gear): 6422-6932 damage

Full Auto (same gear): 6893-7705 damage

Thats why I said full auto

Wait ... what?!? :eek: did they just decide to buff it by an insane amount? or was DFA just nerfed? I forgot to check the values before patch :/

EDIT: Nevermind I can't read.

Edited by Zoom_VI