The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Are ShieldTech tanks going to be viable in 3.0 pvp?

RogueCody

Title says it all and time for a short story. I used the 12x exp boost to finish leveling my PT to 55 and immediately fell in love with the AC. It's the class I want to take to 55 and eventually gear out for pvp.

I've been ST for a while now and am starting to get some pvp gear and understand more of a ST role in a warzone. You may say that I just haven't practiced it enough yet and that I need to L2P and get better gear, and your absolutely right.

I'm new and still learning and am probably very horrible compared to the vets of the AC. But that is just my point. If Pyro (which is still a lot of fun) Is going to be the best option for pvp in 3.0 I would like to start practicing it now. I should tell you that most of my pvp will be solo as well.

So How are PT's looking for you in 3.0 so far? Do you prefer ST or Pyro when by yourself? What's your opinion on there state post 3.0? Speculation of other class changes aside.

Thanks for listening everyone! And look forward to hearing your opinions/answers.

Shield Tech from what has been officially released may be pretty good for PvP, but it seems the only thing ability wise that they get is Firestorm which is an enhancement to Flamethrower.

Pyrotech seems like it may be a fun new spin on the spec, but we lose our 6s CD Rail Shot, in trade for Auto-Crit on Rail Shot, and Scorch seems like a semi useless DoT because of it's long duration, 30s DoT is pretty long for this game... Flaming Fist seems, un-nessisary, a more damaging version of Rocket Punch? couldnt you just make a new passive that increased it's damage and gave it the Elemental Damage... I would rather have an improved Flame Burst called Flame Blast or Flame Barrage.

And, the spec you completely forgot about Advanced Prototype, actually seems like it will become the king in PvP, with Magnetic Blast, for a Flame Burst upgrade (sorta... I wish that it wasnt Magnetic, keep the magnetic stuff to the Vanguards!) and Energy Burst which is like Discharge in Surging Charge, except better. And we get the old Prototype Particle Accelerator for AP instead of Pyro!

Shield Tech from what has been officially released may be pretty good for PvP, but it seems the only thing ability wise that they get is Firestorm which is an enhancement to Flamethrower.

Pyrotech seems like it may be a fun new spin on the spec, but we lose our 6s CD Rail Shot, in trade for Auto-Crit on Rail Shot, and Scorch seems like a semi useless DoT because of it's long duration, 30s DoT is pretty long for this game... Flaming Fist seems, un-nessisary, a more damaging version of Rocket Punch? couldnt you just make a new passive that increased it's damage and gave it the Elemental Damage... I would rather have an improved Flame Burst called Flame Blast or Flame Barrage.

And, the spec you completely forgot about Advanced Prototype, actually seems like it will become the king in PvP, with Magnetic Blast, for a Flame Burst upgrade (sorta... I wish that it wasnt Magnetic, keep the magnetic stuff to the Vanguards!) and Energy Burst which is like Discharge in Surging Charge, except better. And we get the old Prototype Particle Accelerator for AP instead of Pyro!

Interesting. I've never played much of Advanced Prototype to be honest because it seemed like a less spec compared to one with ticking dots. But then again i definitely don't know any better. AP may be something I have to try out as well.

Title says it all and time for a short story. I used the 12x exp boost to finish leveling my PT to 55 and immediately fell in love with the AC. It's the class I want to take to 55 and eventually gear out for pvp.

I've been ST for a while now and am starting to get some pvp gear and understand more of a ST role in a warzone. You may say that I just haven't practiced it enough yet and that I need to L2P and get better gear, and your absolutely right.

I'm new and still learning and am probably very horrible compared to the vets of the AC. But that is just my point. If Pyro (which is still a lot of fun) Is going to be the best option for pvp in 3.0 I would like to start practicing it now. I should tell you that most of my pvp will be solo as well.

So How are PT's looking for you in 3.0 so far? Do you prefer ST or Pyro when by yourself? What's your opinion on there state post 3.0? Speculation of other class changes aside.

Thanks for listening everyone! And look forward to hearing your opinions/answers.

Ill give a full response when I get off this tablet and onto my desktop.

Shield tech is becoming better due to some specs having the internal/elemental contributions of their damage toned down, making mitigation better, and also the DPS drop isnt going to be affecting Tank DPS

Pyrotech will be replacing AP, and will be the sustained pressure spec - DoT everything up and then blast em into hell with Flamethrower

Advanced prototype will be replacing current pyro, only with better AoE capabilities and a less rigid rotation.

It will definately be the burst spec. Imagine this opener...

RB -> ED -> TD -> RP -> EB -> RS

Based off the numbers from the stream, and adding in 7 shoulder cannon missiles, over 3 GCDs you'll do 52k damage over that brief opener (with all the damage hitting when you use rocket punch)

Anyway, have fun picking

Edited by TACeMossie

Ill give a full response when I get off this tablet and onto my desktop.

Shield tech is becoming better due to some specs having the internal/elemental contributions of their damage toned down, making mitigation better, and also the DPS drop isnt going to be affecting Tank DPS

Pyrotech will be replacing AP, and will be the sustained pressure spec - DoT everything up and then blast em into hell with Flamethrower

Advanced prototype will be replacing current pyro, only with better AoE capabilities and a less rigid rotation.

It will definately be the burst spec. Imagine this opener...

RB -> ED -> TD -> RP -> EB -> RS

Based off the numbers from the stream, and adding in 7 shoulder cannon missiles, over 3 GCDs you'll do 52k damage over that brief opener (with all the damage hitting when you use rocket punch)

Anyway, have fun picking

Really appreciate the post friend. Think I'm gonna play a little AP and try it out in pvp. I do love and will miss JC a lot. But I think that will be lessened by the new HO talent come 3.0. Thanks again for everyone's comments.

I'm pretty sure shieldtech sill still be the ideal pick for any team that's running a cleave comp.

lolno.

PT tank isn't "ideal" for any comp.

We're solid tanks but the other two outshine us in many ways.

Each have a mezz. Each have more damage. Each have more sustainability.

We're solid tanks, sure, but the weaker of the three in ranked.

Sintanks are ideal for cleavecomps, especially the skanks who dip into dps skills [say bye to that in 3.0].

Juggtanks and Sintanks are about even for hardswitch comps.

PT tanks aren't a bad pick, and we're viable. It's just that the other two tank specs will probably still be better. Our AoE damage is a nice perk in cleavecomps, though, I will give you that.

Hard to tell without proper testing. We need more PTS players to join in for ranked 4s so we can accurately test.

Based on the utilities available in 3.0, PT/VG Tanks can get:

+15% Base movement speed

Snares on Flame Burst/Ion Pulse, Flame Sweep/Explosive Surge

Range increase on Flame Burst/Ion Pulse, radius increase on Flame Sweep/Explosive Surge

Grapple immobilize (was in tank tree, now a utility). Possible to reduce CD.

Increased HO/HtL duration, also +45% speed boost for HO/HtL in another utility

Sonic Rebounder, which is an AoE on Sonic Missile that gives friendly targets a single-target reflect on any attack (nice to turn the tables on Ravage/MS).

Stun cleanse on Kolto Overload/Adrenaline Rush

Increased stun duration on 4s Stun and 2.5s Carbonize/Neural Surge (so, up to 5s and 3.5s)!

Shield/Guard Cannon available to all specs now.

Other in-tree things: they get their Stockstrike/Rocket Punch resets back, the ability to inflict trauma. Not much else besides that, just some minor passive improvements.

I'd say PT/VG tanks are in a pretty good spot. You can easily take the following utilities (PT terms):

T1: Pneumatic Boots for speed increased +15%, Bracer Propellant for the +range on Flame Burst and the radius boost on Flame Sweep, and then take either Reflective Armor (reflects damage from AoEs triggering Close and Personal) or Suppressive Tools for the snares on Flame Burst and Flame Sweep.

T2: No Escape for Grapple and Stealth Scan roots, Sonic Rebounder for reflect-y goodness. You could also take Torque Boosters for the HO +duration, which works well with Overdrive in the next tier.

T3: Overdrive for +45% speed on HO, Enhanced Paralytics for the +1s stuns. You could take Automated Suit for the cleanse on Kolto Overload, or Shield Cannon for self-healing on Shoulder Cannon too.

That would make you a pain in the rear. Exactly what you need to be doing as a PvP tank.

Edited by ezrafetch

If you are running a PT cleave comp then a PT tank would be the go to, for the harpoon and neural surge

If you're running a non-viable comp stacking three classes, of course PT tank will be the go-to.

On topic: PT has never been non-viable in arenas. It's just we're miles behind the other two, assuming equal skill.

3.0 will bring us closer together. Although I still think we're still going to be #3 of the tank ACs, it won't be as big of a gap.

If you're running a non-viable comp stacking three classes, of course PT tank will be the go-to.

On topic: PT has never been non-viable in arenas. It's just we're miles behind the other two, assuming equal skill.

3.0 will bring us closer together. Although I still think we're still going to be #3 of the tank ACs, it won't be as big of a gap.

Since the single elemental/ internal attacks are reduced or the specs to inflict them are very weak against a competitive game, pyrotech, lethality, madness sorcs, the spec looks better. Yet, there is no comparison with Guardian and out of the box dcds.

Shield Cycler restoring 1 cell? A definitive nerf.

Sonic Rebounder, which is an AoE on Sonic Missile that gives friendly targets a single-target reflect on any attack (nice to turn the tables on Ravage/MS).

Stun cleanse on Kolto Overload/Adrenaline Rush

Trauma infliction

Increase 15% speed

Increased stun duration on 4s Stun and 2.5s Carbonize/Neural Surge (so, up to 5s and 3.5s)!

Compared to current those look promising.

Edited by Aetideus