Quarterly Producer Letter for Q2 2024 ×

Do you create 1-53 green and blue mods to sell or for personal use....

LordArtemis

...and if you do for personal use, do you think the amount of time it takes to craft some of the higher level greens and blues should be reduced?

For example, right now it takes between 1.5 to 2 hours to craft 5 level 53 blue mods (if I am not mistaken). Lets say you need 7-9 of each, it is going to take you at least 2 hours unless you have many alternate characters that can craft them.

It seems to me that the higher level blue mods are taking far to long to craft. This really interrupts normal leveling time, especially if you consider that you usually change out your mods every 4 levels or so (not considering 12XP at this time).

Companion affection and crafting bonuses do not reduce crafting time in any substantial way. I think the time reductions need to go farther.

I would propose they offer a new legacy perk...

Legacy of Proficiency

Increases crew crafting and mission proficiency by 10/20/30 percent.

Costs 100/200/300 coins or 100k/250k/500k and requires legacy level 40

Subscriber only perk

How does that sound? Does anyone have any other ideas? Or is it fine the way it is?

Thanks for reading.

...and if you do for personal use, do you think the amount of time it takes to craft some of the higher level greens and blues should be reduced?

For example, right now it takes between 1.5 to 2 hours to craft 5 level 53 blue mods (if I am not mistaken). Lets say you need 7-9 of each, it is going to take you at least 2 hours unless you have many alternate characters that can craft them.

It seems to me that the higher level blue mods are taking far to long to craft. This really interrupts normal leveling time, especially if you consider that you usually change out your mods every 4 levels or so (not considering 12XP at this time).

Companion affection and crafting bonuses do not reduce crafting time in any substantial way. I think the time reductions need to go farther.

Legacy of Proficiency

Subscriber only perk

How does that sound? Does anyone have any other ideas? Or is it fine the way it is?

Thanks for reading.

While it is kind of on the too-long side for blues at higher levels, I think the only reason you may be really noticing this right now is the 12x XP event.

I don't typically have any problem with the time, as you can simply set your alts to craft what is necessary while you are playing but not quite at the requisite level, or when logged off.

As for 2 hours, it depends on how many companions you have crafting. I find for mods, for example, if I have 3 companions craft 2 each, and perhaps a fourth craft 1, there will almost always be the 9 necessary, usually with an extra one or two to sell on the GTN. If you ever end up short with this method, there is always the option to buy one or two with planetary comms.

Edited by arunav

While it is kind of on the too-long side for blues at higher levels, I think the only reason you may be really noticing this right now is the 12x XP event.

I don't typically have any problem with the time, as you can simply set your alts to craft what is necessary while you are playing but not quite at the requisite level, or when logged off.

As for 2 hours, it depends on how many companions you have crafting. I find for mods, for example, if I have 3 companions craft 2 each, and perhaps a fourth craft 1, there will almost always be the 9 necessary, usually with an extra one or two to sell on the GTN. If you ever end up short with this method, there is always the option to buy one or two with planetary comms.

All good points, and you are probably right...it is more noticeable when there is a shortage of comms rewarded from class quests.

you can simply set your alts to craft what is necessary while you are playing but not quite at the requisite level, or when logged off.

This is what I do. Log in crafter, look at schematic list, "Hmm, will be x level today, better start crafting these for then." Que up, switch, play. Even easier, at the end if the night, "Hmm, almost X level, why don't I que these up to craft while I'm sleeping/working, then when I can play next, they will be waiting for me when I log in." (Especially regarding the level 50+ ones)

You don't -need- to swap out all your stuff every time you level, especially if your using blues, unless your looney tunesesque levels of incompetant, you can easily skate by swapping them out every 10 levels or so. Just start crafting ahead of time to be prepared (level 45ish)

Edited by XiamaraSimi

especially if you consider that you usually change out your mods every 4 levels or so (not considering 12XP at this time).How does that sound? Does anyone have any other ideas? Or is it fine the way it is?

Thanks for reading.

I only bother with purples, and even at char level 53, those only take a couple of hours each, so that's ten hours. I usually know if I'm going to need better gear way before that.

As far as 12x XP goes, you shouldn't need more than a few pieces of lvl 53 gear (if any). I stopped replacing gear around lvl 30ish purple, and that took me through level 47 (at which point I can run Makeb until I hit 55 b/c Lolster). Once you hit 55, go to Oricon and get your free set of 156 gear.

If you don't have friends or guildies and can't solo enough, you still should have been able to craft whatever you want when you hit level 30ish and have it ready for you.

There's plenty of improvements that the devs could make, this isn't one of them.

Edited by CommunityDroidEN

Fair enough, but you can make your point without breakng the forum rules. You of all people should know better earth.

What rules did I break? You asked about the idea, I said what I thought of the idea. My reply may have been a bit harsh, but it was directed at the idea, not you personally.

FYI, I quite enjoy the fact that 12x XP makes me level so fast that it is impractical to change gear every four levels (whether due to cost in credits of buying off GTN, low # of Planetary Comms gained per level, or time-to-craft v. time-to-level). While the time spent per level has obviously decreased, I have found the combat parts of the missions more challenging than had I been leveling as slowly as usual and gearing more frequently.

The only "problem" I have noted with 12x xp gearing speed is that Lolster + Makeb encourages people to stop their class story in the middle of Chapter 3 (before the end of Voss) and go to Makeb. Although, as an experiment, I continued on through the end of Chapter 3 with level 30 crafted gear augmented by orange stuff I got from Class (and Planetary Story) missions (so a few char level 45 blues/greens), and completed Chapter 3 at level 53 before going to Makeb.

Edited by eartharioch

Legacy of Proficiency

Subscriber only perk

Thanks for reading.

I'm not sold on your suggested solution, but you raise some good points. Also add in the time to gather the relevant materials, the material cost for each schem and reverse engineering. By the time you craft them you can get better stuff that is more up to date from the comm vendors.

It would be nice if crafting greens/blues for your character matched the natural speed of level progression outside of bonus xp events.

What rules did I break? You asked about the idea, I said what I thought of the idea. My reply may have been a bit harsh, but it was directed at the idea, not you personally.

FYI, I quite enjoy the fact that 12x XP makes me level so fast that it is impractical to change gear every four levels (whether due to cost in credits of buying off GTN, low # of Planetary Comms gained per level, or time-to-craft v. time-to-level). While the time spent per level has obviously decreased, I have found the combat parts of the missions more challenging than had I been leveling as slowly as usual and gearing more frequently.

The only "problem" I have noted with 12x xp gearing speed is that Lolster + Makeb encourages people to stop their class story in the middle of Chapter 3 (before the end of Voss) and go to Makeb. Although, as an experiment, I continued on through the end of Chapter 3 with level 30 crafted gear augmented by orange stuff I got from Class (and Planetary Story) missions (so a few char level 45 blues/greens), and completed Chapter 3 at level 53 before going to Makeb.

You raise good arguments against my point in both posts, and as usual your posts offer good opposing views...but this...

I'd say you need to stop smoking crack, not ask for a speed decrease on crafting mods, 12x Xp or not.

was an unnecessary violation of the forum rules. I'm not offended by it, I have thick skin, but you open yourself up to potential and unnecessary action against your account when you can make your point (a good point) without doing so.

You should know me well enough by now earth that I welcome discourse. Just stay within the forum guidelines so other folks can read your views as well and make up their own minds.

If you would be willing, it might be a good idea to edit that comment out of your post.

You raise good arguments against my point in both posts, and as usual your posts offer good opposing views...but this...

was an unnecessary violation of the forum rules. I'm not offended by it, I have thick skin, but you open yourself up to potential and unnecessary action against your account when you can make your point (a good point) without doing so.

You should know me well enough by now earth that I welcome discourse. Just stay within the forum guidelines so other folks can read your views as well and make up their own minds.

If you would be willing, it might be a good idea to edit that comment out of your post.

Please let me know *specifically* which rule (or guideline) you think I violated, and how. Phrases like "Are you on crack", "Are you high?", "What are you on?", etc. are equivalent in meaning (and harshness) to simply asking "Are you serious?".

If I'm not intending to be offensive, and you weren't offended, why would you presume that other people would be so offended that my very account would be in danger?

Replying "Are you serious?" or anything similar *without* explaining what you mean detracts from conversations, but given that I (by your own admission) explained my position clearly, I don't see how my choice of "decorative" language detracts from the discussion.

Also, please remember that discussing forum rule violations is a violation of forum rules. If you really think something is violating the TOS, report the post or PM the person and ask for clarification if you aren't sure.

Legacy of Proficiency

Subscriber only perk

Thanks for reading.

Actually it is a good idea. I do every 4 levels. I slap it in into some legacy gear and it gets passed down to the next chr that needs it. It works for me.

Legacy of Proficiency

Subscriber only perk

Thanks for reading.

Not bad ideas, but for this leveling event, I am strictly using greens, so the time factor has been non existent for me.

Although I have most of the blue and quite a lot of the artifact schems as well, with the sheer speed you level and the time factor you have mentioned, I fail to see any real reason to use anything but greens.

If you are crafting lvl 53 blues then you are probably a lvl 50+ character, so you have 6 companions at hand. Each blue takes about 25 minutes. 5 of your companions can craft 2 items, so in one hour you get 10 items (depending on item class, with a succesful critical roll you can get 2x1 result), enough to fill a gear set. And if you see in anticipation that you will need better gear with blue items, then start crafting few hours before you get the required level to use; even you can do it before logging out and next day they will be in your inventory.

That part of the crafting system is well designed, in my opinion, so I don't see a need for a change.

Please let me know *specifically* which rule (or guideline) you think I violated, and how. Phrases like "Are you on crack", "Are you high?", "What are you on?", etc. are equivalent in meaning (and harshness) to simply asking "Are you serious?".

If I'm not intending to be offensive, and you weren't offended, why would you presume that other people would be so offended that my very account would be in danger?

Replying "Are you serious?" or anything similar *without* explaining what you mean detracts from conversations, but given that I (by your own admission) explained my position clearly, I don't see how my choice of "decorative" language detracts from the discussion.

Also, please remember that discussing forum rule violations is a violation of forum rules. If you really think something is violating the TOS, report the post or PM the person and ask for clarification if you aren't sure.

Well, there's this one:

"Harass, threaten, embarrass, or do anything to another player that is unwanted. This includes posting insulting, offensive, or abusive comments about players, repeatedly sending unwanted messages, attacking a player based on race, sexual orientation, religion, heritage, etc. Hate speech is not tolerated. (See also “Harassment Policy” below.)"

And it doesn't really matter if he was offended or not or if you intended to offend.

It's enough that someone else thinks it was offensive and reports you for it.

Also, those phrases are certainly not equivalent in harshness to "are you serious".

They might be to you, but to plenty of people they arent.

EDIT: I notice from your general language on the forums that you tend to have a bit harsher tone. Something that plenty of people (me and the OP included) are quite used to and don't take offense to.

BUT, there are also plenty of people out there that are more sensetive (or just more petty), so if you keep using phrases like that you will get reported sooner or later and wind up with a warning or worse depending on who happens to be moderating at the time.

So this isn't me complaining. I'm just trying to give a friendly cautionary warning.

Now, back on topic: I agree with those who said it's only noticable because of the 12xp thing.

I usually set those kinds of crafting missions up overnight when I do them normally, but now you are kinda rushed to get them done and have to plan far ahead to get everything done by the time you hit those levels.

Edited by OddballEasyEight

Thank you OEE. And I would add that this line speaks directly to the discussion of the rules...

Do not post about locked or deleted threads or other moderation actions.

One is allowed, to my knowledge, to point out when they believe a specific action or post is a violation of the rules. A warning to that player is actually in the spirit of what Bioware would like to see, IE the polite request to stop which is also listed in the rules.

There are a few folks that think this is a bad idea, and I would like to hear more opposing opinions. A few good points have been raised IMO. Perhaps the OP could be adjusted.

Is this a discussion about crafting, or just a flame-war about forum rules? :D

On topic:

I craft lots of equipment mods for my characters (but, not to sell on the GTN) - armor, mods, enhancements, barrels, hilts, augments, etc. I usually, either setup the crafting to run overnight while I'm logged off, or I go do something else on some other toon while the crafting happens. I usually have the max (5) companions doing the crafting. While it's true that some comps have certain crafting bonuses, I don't limit myself to only using those comps, except, of course, if I'm only crafting 1 or 2 items.

Edited by JediQuaker

So far:

My Cybertech makes the mods/armorings, mails them or installs them onto legacy gear, and then I buy from vendors or GTN or rip from other gears, the hilts/barrels/enhancements.

Along the way, my new crafter alts who make gear and such, sell their products, or have comps use them.

So far, I have upgraded my mods at 11 (initial), 21, 31, 41, and maybe I will again at 47 or so.

I almost finished Alderaan on a Sage, and I found Qyzen running around with level 9 gear and doing pretty well. I upgraded his gear, and then seemed to have failed Sage Healing 101 or something. It was strange.

I do both. I have an artifice at 450/450/450, so he's mostly crafting for other toons as he doesn't really need to craft to sell on the GTN. he's kind of waiting around for Revan anyway. But my cybertech isn't at 450 yet, so crafting means points for him. He can now craft above his level, so he makes them for himself first, the GTN for left-overs.

Now the issue with greens, blues, and purples is that it costs quite a bit to get there. You have to RE an average of 5 greens to get a blue mat, and then it takes additional expensive materials to craft. To get to purples is even more expensive, and I'm not convinced it's worth it. It seems to me it's a credit sink more than a viable option. To get all purple mods would be prohibitively expensive.

In terms of the time spent crafting, it's a non-issue. Most of the companions are sitting around on their butts anyway. Just set them to crafting 5 items apiece and check back the next day. It's not that big a deal and doesn't need a "fix."

Edited by MSchuyler

I cannot speak for others, but I imagine I'm not the only one that has 1 or 2 characters that don't get used much. I've got a couple I only leveled OOC and to get the legacy buffs, but other than that I don't play them that often. So there are times when I happen to dust off one of them, I discover they're a tad behind in the gear department.

At such moments I sometimes wish that the times were indeed a little shorter :)

pre-crafting might be an option, but I'm already juggling with cargo space as it is... :p

Edited by LeJarC

Is this a discussion about crafting, or just a flame-war about forum rules? :D

On topic:

I craft lots of equipment mods for my characters (but, not to sell on the GTN) - armor, mods, enhancements, barrels, hilts, augments, etc. I usually, either setup the crafting to run overnight while I'm logged off, or I go do something else on some other toon while the crafting happens. I usually have the max (5) companions doing the crafting. While it's true that some comps have certain crafting bonuses, I don't limit myself to only using those comps, except, of course, if I'm only crafting 1 or 2 items.

Same here. It isn't that a big a deal when you have 5 companions for it. That and I put them in legacy gear so they can be used again. Except barrels, hilts, IPs and Ears. I just craft new ones which isn't a big deal.

Even without the rapid level increases we are seeing with this 12x event, I often found myself behind the curve when it came to crafting things for my leveling toons.

If I had the mats, I'd go with purple mods because I knew they'd last for 6-10 levels before I had to replace them, whereas green mods had to be replaced as soon as a new level became available and blues every 4-6.

I like the idea of reducing the crafting time for the green and blue items, not only for the 12x event but for general usage as well.

I generally craft several levels of gear for whatever character I'm currently working on.

So if I have a level 22 character, so I'll craft 23-41 gear, and will probably take a few days to get done, during which I'll run dailies for credits and send out companions for mats. I'll store the gear in either the levelling character's cargo or in one of my many storage characters.

When I'm getting close to 41, I'll stop and craft 42-53 gear, doing the dailies again.

Has worked fine for me for most of my 16 55s. (First four I did differently, and less efficiently.)

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.