The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

It's time to merge the two PVP servers...

Vicen

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe if they rolled the PvP servers into the PvE servers but added an additional PvP flag mechanic that couldn't be toggled off for say 18-20 hours.

That way the people that wanted to run around always flagged would have the option of doing so but the part-time PvPers would still have the option of using the existing flag rules.

Yeah...Oricon is the only place any "OW" PvP ever seems to happen other than things like the Rakgoull event. An easy solution to this would be to just make the "flag" able to last longer than death - allow me to flag myself for a week at a time, no matter how many times I die.

The true difference between the two server types is so minimal that it's nearly non-existent.

Fair enough. I would certainly not mind having even faster PVP queues on my PVE server, as well! :D

Edit: That said, I wouldn't imagine that Harbinger would be part of any hypothetical merge, since our population is already so high that it seems to sometimes break the server.

Edited by CmdrShpd

Yeah...Oricon is the only place any "OW" PvP ever seems to happen other than things like the Rakgoull event. An easy solution to this would be to just make the "flag" able to last longer than death - allow me to flag myself for a week at a time, no matter how many times I die.

The true difference between the two server types is so minimal that it's nearly non-existent.

The best solution would be if the servers could support different types of instances of each planet, so you could have both PVE and PVP instances on the same server. So instead of having Oricon (1), Oricon (2), etc., you would have Oricon (PVE-1), Oricon (PVE-2), Oricon (PVP-1). This would eliminate the need for separate PVP and PVE servers, although RP would either need its own servers, or the chat for RP instances would need to be separate from the PVP and PVE instances.

PVE instances could work exactly as they do now, so you could still flag yourself for PVP on a PVE instance, but you could also switch to a PVP instance if you really wanted OW-PVP. Likewise, if you normally run on a PVP instance, but just want to be left alone for a while, you could switch to a PVE instance. Of course, you would want a toggle of some sort to specify which type of instance you would default to when loading a new planet.

This would allow the PVE and PVP servers in each region to be merged together, which would be a better solution than merging PVP servers from separate regions, since in that case, one group will most likely be put at a disadvantage due to lag.

Fair enough. I would certainly not mind having even faster PVP queues on my PVE server, as well! :D

Edit: That said, I wouldn't imagine that Harbinger would be part of any hypothetical merge, since our population is already so high that it seems to sometimes break the server.

You guys can keep your broken and duct taped server...we'll send ya a few bottles of super glue and packs of chewing gum for 3.0's release ;)

The best solution would be if the servers could support different types of instances of each planet, so you could have both PVE and PVP instances on the same server. So instead of having Oricon (1), Oricon (2), etc., you would have Oricon (PVE-1), Oricon (PVE-2), Oricon (PVP-1). This would eliminate the need for separate PVP and PVE servers, although RP would either need its own servers, or the chat for RP instances would need to be separate from the PVP and PVE instances.

PVE instances could work exactly as they do now, so you could still flag yourself for PVP on a PVE instance, but you could also switch to a PVP instance if you really wanted OW-PVP. Likewise, if you normally run on a PVP instance, but just want to be left alone for a while, you could switch to a PVE instance. Of course, you would want a toggle of some sort to specify which type of instance you would default to when loading a new planet.

This would allow the PVE and PVP servers in each region to be merged together, which would be a better solution than merging PVP servers from separate regions, since in that case, one group will most likely be put at a disadvantage due to lag.

Awesome suggestion.

• Oricon 1 (PvE)

• Oricon 2 (PvP)

• Oricon 3 (PvE)

• Oricon 4 (PvE)

Have players designate their instance preference, but also allow them to switch to a PvE instance if needed. I like this idea a lot.

Sure, merge the servers.

Then half the people will complain that they're losing all the time because of the added lag from the server being on the wrong coast from the one they were on before.

I agree with him. west coast and east coast servers should never be merged together. latency is a big factor in pvp and even 50msec more latency will cause problem in competitive pvp.

Do you think that most people who play on PVP servers currently would be okay with being able to only attack folks who have flagged themselves for PVP?
most, sadly, would probably be okay with it.

personally that would be enough for me to unsub

no more server mergers, PLEASE, lol. Plenty of other ways to address these issues for hardcore players, i.e. cross server ques etc , most casual players (bulk of game pop) are ok with the smaller pops, many even prefer compared to the lag etc mega servers tend to bring. I play Po5 and although it's a small community as is, it doesn't need any help imo. New players tend to look for low pop servers when they first start out, SW and BW are big enough brands that there will always be new players signing up, our server will be huge in it's own time, let it grow. If you can't wait for that, I hear BW has already added the feature to transfer on your own, it was in fact many moons ago. As always , just my two pennies;)

also west and east coast servers merging is a nightmare waiting to happen, I agree. Better idea, merge EU with US xD (sarcastic but imagine game pops then *whistles*) :eek:

Edited by krisknife
added stuff

no more server mergers, PLEASE, lol. Plenty of other ways to address these issues for hardcore players, i.e. cross server ques etc , most casual players (bulk of game pop) are ok with the smaller pops, many even prefer compared to the lag etc mega servers tend to bring. I play Po5 and although it's a small community as is, it doesn't need any help imo. New players tend to look for low pop servers when they first start out, SW and BW are big enough brands that there will always be new players signing up, our server will be huge in it's own time, let it grow. If you can't wait for that, I hear BW has already added the feature to transfer on your own, it was in fact many moons ago. As always , just my two pennies;)

also west and east coast servers merging is a nightmare waiting to happen, I agree. Better idea, merge EU with US xD (sarcastic but imagine game pops then *whistles*) :eek:

Where did you get the bolded idea from? Because any new player will ALWAYS roll on a populated server to have people to play with. Considering there is 0 open world PvP, there is absolutely no reason to start up on PoT5 when there are more people doing every piece of content on Ebon Hawk and Jedi Covenant. Regs pop faster, ranked pops faster, GF pops faster, GSF pops faster, more guilds are recruiting, planets are more populated. 0 reason to play on PoT5 if you don't already have established characters and don't want to pay to transfer them all.

Where did you get the bolded idea from? Because any new player will ALWAYS roll on a populated server to have people to play with. Considering there is 0 open world PvP, there is absolutely no reason to start up on PoT5 when there are more people doing every piece of content on Ebon Hawk and Jedi Covenant. Regs pop faster, ranked pops faster, GF pops faster, GSF pops faster, more guilds are recruiting, planets are more populated. 0 reason to play on PoT5 if you don't already have established characters and don't want to pay to transfer them all.

umm lets see, when I rolled this server it was specifically for it's size, I have loads of friends spread across multiple servers to pull "data" from as well :).The server will get bigger.... It's all just my opinion I clearly stated that so let's not start a "contest" of sorts lol, like what you are saying is all your opinion,

Biggest reason, and just guessing here ;), would probably name choice, better opportunity to be top player, not just A player. Umm Less lag on crappy computers ( allot of people), just some afterthoughts :cool:

Edited by krisknife

The Bastion is fine. Pops are non-stop for Regz and Yolo. Sure, Group Ranked is slow, but that's the case on every server.

Jung Ma has it's good nights and bad nights for Yolo. Regz pop constantly. No panic there either.

Can't speak to Pot5 because I don't play there.

Point being...there's no need to merge the PvP servers, at least the two I play on.

It is. But you dont need a PvP server to play Warzones, GSF or Arenas. So while the PvP is the most played feature of SWTOR the PvP servers are not the most populated.

Source? Do you have some metrics to support that, or is it just "I play PvP, so it's the most played part of the game". Back when my guild was really active, 4% played any kind of PvP regularly. That's literally 4, out of 100 people in the guild. If I extrapolate that as an average, I'd say you're way overselling PvP here.

Source? Do you have some metrics to support that, or is it just "I play PvP, so it's the most played part of the game". Back when my guild was really active, 4% played any kind of PvP regularly. That's literally 4, out of 100 people in the guild. If I extrapolate that as an average, I'd say you're way overselling PvP here.

Your perspective from your example is extremely skewed. If you don't PvP, you're likely to group and join guilds with others who don't PvP. Just like the person you quoted is in the opposite boat.

I will say that well over 50% of players participate in warzones, although almost certainly less than 50% do warzones as their primary activity in game. So while the "PvP player base" is small if you consider those who are playing specifically for that, the actual percentage of the player base who would benefit from any upgrades to PvP is a majority.

FPs might give warzones a run for their money, but I would be extremely confident in saying at least twice as many players participate in warzones as compared to operations.

Your perspective from your example is extremely skewed. If you don't PvP, you're likely to group and join guilds with others who don't PvP. Just like the person you quoted is in the opposite boat.

I will say that well over 50% of players participate in warzones, although almost certainly less than 50% do warzones as their primary activity in game. So while the "PvP player base" is small if you consider those who are playing specifically for that, the actual percentage of the player base who would benefit from any upgrades to PvP is a majority.

FPs might give warzones a run for their money, but I would be extremely confident in saying at least twice as many players participate in warzones as compared to operations.

I don't PvP here because WZs aren't really what I consider PvP. Although I have done some PvP on Ilum during the Gree event, enough that I forgot to do the dailies, and every once in a while on Oricon. I rolled PvE server to avoid the "Hi, I'm 55, and I'm camping your base so I can get some easy kills" people that are inevitably drawn to PvP servers. When it's time to level, it's time to level. I can take or leave PvP as it moves me, but really, I haven't seen much that made me consider I should even roll on a PvP server, just reading what's presented on this forum, w/out ever going to the "you need a canoe to navigate this" PvP forum.

You are so wrong. I do almost nothing but pvp. I'm on the harbinger because it has a large population and therefore really fast regular warzone queue pops during prime times when I am online. I've considered moving to the bastion or PoT5, but I don't really want to pay money to go to a server with slower regular queue pops.

I do not want to shock you but queuing for warzones has nothing to do with being on a pvp server. High pop pve servers have faster queue times for pvp.

A pvp server is about open world pvp because that is the ONLY difference between a pve and pvp server.

There is no general statistical evidence to support this kind of claim that I am aware of. However, since we are not privy to the actual participation numbers in this particular title, one could contend that this is at least possible.

But I would remain very skeptical of any such claims. Traditionally, regular full time PVP players represent a tiny minority of the playerbase in most standard MMOs. Even if you add in those that PVP occasionally, they still tend to represent the smallest portion of an MMO playerbase.

If this game follows the general market model (which it may not), the level of total participation in PVP content can go from 6 to 21 percent of the population, depending on the study.

Players that only participate in PVP, however, represent from less than 1 percent up to 4 percent of the population, generally speaking.

Edited by LordArtemis

it's a big difference, PVP vs PVE. PVP is more realistic, especially in a faction based game. If a jedi and sith were on the same planet , then bad stuff is going to happen, you should always be worried about looking over your shoulder. To me it's a world of difference and immerses me in the actual game with me on the seat of my pants.

There is no general statistical evidence to support this kind of claim. However, since we are not privy to the actual participation numbers in this particular title, one could contend that this is at least possible.

But I would remain very skeptical of any such claims. Traditionally, regular full time PVP players represent a tiny minority of the playerbase in most standard MMOs. Even if you add in those that PVP occasionally, they still tend to represent the smallest portion of an MMO playerbase.

If this game follows the general market model (which it may not), the level of total participation in PVP content can go from 6 to 21 percent of the population, depending on the study.

Players that only participate in PVP, however, represent from less than 1 percent up to 4 percent of the population, generally speaking.

Back when the devs actually reported this type of information, there was an extremely high participation in warzones. Around guild summit timeframe was the last time they mentioned anything, however.

Back when the devs actually reported this type of information, there was an extremely high participation in warzones. Around guild summit timeframe was the last time they mentioned anything, however.

Ah, I would like to see that data. SWTOR has "broken the mold" with respect to F2P players and revenue (in this game, the majority of money spent on the market seems to come from subs), and I would not be surprised if it has done so in other ways as well.

At any rate, I support a merge. It would still leave one west and one east server.

Edited by LordArtemis

Ah, I would like to see that data. SWTOR has "broken the mold" with respect to F2P players and revenue (in this game, the majority of money spent on the market seems to come from subs), and I would not be surprised if it has done so in other ways as well.

At any rate, I support a merge. It would still leave one west and one east server.

no it won't , what they are asking for is to merge the east and west coast servers ( a Epic fail for many reasons)

there is only 1 ec and 1 wc pvp server currently. Again heck, if we are going to merge east and west, merge it all why have the EU version??? Lets lop on players on top of players, to snarls with logistics

Edited by krisknife