The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

The happy to give it a try thread.

Maldorans

The doom-and-gloomers are an omnipresent aspect of any MMO. I've learned to accept and expect it. No matter what information is or isn't given, a certain portion of the community is going to expect the worst. Unfortunately, the doom-and-gloomers are also usually the most vocal, so it seems like there are more of them..

And the opposite side of the coin, who could be called apologists or rose-lensers?

I've come to expect both types in any gaming debate.

First off, I pre-ordered and on the whole, am excited to see what the expansion brings to the game, so generally I am in the 'happy to give it a try' crowd. I am really looking forward to the new story, new operations, and even the changes like Disciplines.

However, some of you just don't get 'it' when a lot of the reduced damage concerns are NOT around how big the numbers are, but rather how powerful characters are relative to existing (soon to be outdated) content.

My only concern is that the changes will reduce absolute damage numbers while not adjusting content at 55 such that a level 55 player in level 55 gear on Dec 2 will be less effective against level 55 content than they are today.

I could care less about what number shows up on a parse, though I will care if I play the game the day after 3.0 and my combat effectiveness is less than pre 3.0 against existing level 55 content.

The result is that content which is trivial today (existing level 55 content) becomes difficult and / or requires leveling to 60 and re-gearing just to complete at the same difficulty as today.

I'll deal with whatever changes come, though to me it just seems to be a ploy to keep current level 55 content relevant into the new level 60 expansion (where IMO we and the developers should be focused on the new level 60 content) without actually saying they are doing so, all so they can try and keep players occupied longer.

I m in the hapy to try it camp as well in fact from what i have seen I think everything looks great so far. Personally i don't see the big deal about the stat squish if done on both player and content equally, com changes, levels regearing etc or the skill tree removal or anything else people seem to be on the verge of a mental and stress breakdown about.

Edited by _NovaBlast_

Given the other substantial changes to the combat system (increased interrupt and cleanse cooldown) I fail to see how they could avoid a rebalance. If I recall, the phrase used in the stream was "a bit less" damage. To me, they're making dps checks relevant again rather than being completely trivial, which in my book is a good thing.

To be honest, as long as stuff dies and it doesn't become utterly ridiculous with party wiping dance dance revolution mechanics to add artificial difficulty (*cough*FFXIV*cough*) then I'll probably enjoy the expansion whether I do 4,000 or 400 dps.

Edited by ChroniKill

I fail to see how they could avoid a rebalance.

In MMO rebalancing should be endless cycle. Just like what CCP is doing and have been doing after the Incarna release aka "we need better communication, not this barbie stuff" with EVE.

Edited by Halinalle

All the Nostradamuses (Nostradami?) should certainly feel free - even encouraged - to continue making predictions.

They're amusing.

For myself:

I am not convinced this expansion will kill the game, break PVP, or kick your jimmy.

Nor am I convinced it will fix all game issues, solve the whatever, or wax your yo-yo string.

I figure the expansion is coming, and I'll find out what happens when it happens.

If the game is still fun, I'll keep playing.

Edited by Borderlad

Sorry but I beleve that a response every game developer makes when they want to make some major change to the game.

Oh your DPS was to high!

- Well where the hell were all those metrics BW claims to have to make sure that doesn't happen.

BW's claim of DPS being to high is more like a post card talking point a politician always uses. "We need a generic reason to pull this off and make it sound plausible." - "Well tell them their DPS is to high and well let them levl to 60 but make it as if they were 55 again so we can keep 2 tired and worn out OPS (DF/DP) in play."

It's like they went to the school of politicians and picked up some generic responses to gamers many will by into to push a different agenda.

I'm glad someone else realizes this other than me.It's just the lazy way for them to keep older content relevant so they don't have to make a TRUE expansion.stat squish is not the same as a global nerf,dps is not the only thing being nerfed for the record also i play a healer 90% of the time.

So I haven't the foggiest what a dps in top tier gear even feels like.For me this is purely a design decision i don't look forward to just like many others and they have the track record of being lazy with development. They can change as much as they like bottom line is if between 55-60 if i dont feel more powerful than 55 pre expac i'm done.

I could careless about the actual numbers.just further proves bioware hasn't the foggiest what progression actually is.

Sorry if the thought of gaining levels and getting nothing but a couple new abilities for it are not my thing.maybe this game shouldn't have levels at all if this is their logic!

The most recent big update, Strongholds and Flagships, was better than I expected. It has been a lot of fun and added some nice QoL features.

So 3.0 may be better than I expect as well, and I am looking forward to it. Especially, I am looking forward to 3.0.1, which is when I expect they will be when they really get the major bugs out. ;)

The most recent big update, Strongholds and Flagships, was better than I expected. It has been a lot of fun and added some nice QoL features.

So 3.0 may be better than I expect as well, and I am looking forward to it. Especially, I am looking forward to 3.0.1, which is when I expect they will be when they really get the major bugs out. ;)

LOL probably true.

I hope they release a mostly bug free expansion, but I am not going to be surprised if there are a number of head shaking moments with blatantly obvious bugs and glitches when 3.0 releases that take a number of hotfixes, emergency patches and a 3.1 to resolve.

I kind of wish they did expansions the way Blizzard does with WoW, where all the global changes (the X.0 patch) go into effect several weeks before the new level cap / content is released.

Doing so gives the developers time to fix major issues before the new content is in play, and gives the players a bit of time to adjust to all the changes.

I also wish they would go back to more open testing - at least open from an information sharing of the global changes, not keeping everything hidden with closed testing and NDAs.

The lack of open testing and the trickle of details on all the changes (not the story mind you - I'm happy with that being kept out of sight) is not giving me a warm and fuzzy feeling.

Edited by DawnAskham

I think it’s going to be interesting.

I am really looking forward to the game’s new rule-set. I am sorry people feel like they are being shafted, but I can’t help being excited about rebuilding the chars I have and seeing how they function under the new rule set. This game is so interesting & the char creation/development is so cool. I am looking forward to a lot of rapid changes to classes as I think it will help to get intimately familiar with the new system, and actually think a char through. I am kindda hoping for a lot of traffic in Class forums and all sorts of talking ‘bout classes and Disciplines.

In the end, elite players will always remain elite players, no matter the rules, and the rest of us get to play with new toys. :D

In the interests of balance (see what I did there?), here's a thread for the happy to give it a go crew.

I have no idea what Shadow of Revan is going to look like, taste like, smell like, feel like and more importantly play like. Not a clue. So I am happy to stand here and say loudly "I am happy to give this a try." No tears. No petitions. No lawyers.

It may be spectacular and awesome. It may be disastrously poor. We'll find out in a month.

I have enough 55s that at least one class will come up PvP FOTM, it will be Glorious :D