The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

The Rakghoul Event is back.

Reno_Tarshil

You just put your finger on it. The sad fact is that some people haven't found any other way to exist than by interfering with other people's life.

Indeed.

I despise this event, ever since its second incarnation it has been this way.

How much fun could it be if, the victims could fight back?

Imagine, I am infected, sneak around a bit, you see me coughing and spluttering then think, no chance, that ******e is getting my blaster in his face, and attack me, we fight, I loose, I laugh about it, and respawn.

What's the difference from the current format? Well, the victim can fight back, and that is all I personally want to see change. Not sure why the "infectors" would be against it, since they clearly enjoy PVP, as they are running around infecting people in the first place.

• Replies 316
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Indeed.

I despise this event, ever since its second incarnation it has been this way.

How much fun could it be if, the victims could fight back?

Imagine, I am infected, sneak around a bit, you see me coughing and spluttering then think, no chance, that ******e is getting my blaster in his face, and attack me, we fight, I loose, I laugh about it, and respawn.

What's the difference from the current format? Well, the victim can fight back, and that is all I personally want to see change. Not sure why the "infectors" would be against it, since they clearly enjoy PVP, as they are running around infecting people in the first place.

The fact you consider getting infected as victimization is the problem.

Edited by azudelphi

There are kids who actually do get beat up and harassed and you have the audacity of equating it with having to spend 2k credits per 6 hours to not get the rakghoul plague... think about that for a second...

The effects on those targeted aren't the same, but the thinking that makes it "OK" in the minds of those doing it is evidently the same, based on the reasoning given in this thread.

There are kids who actually do get beat up and harassed and you have the audacity of equating it with having to spend 2k credits per 6 hours to not get the rakghoul plague... think about that for a second...

I was one of them for a time, so yes i have the audacity.

The effects on those targeted aren't the same, but the thinking that makes it "OK" in the minds of those doing it is evidently the same, based on the reasoning given in this thread.

No. The people spreading the disease are doing so because the objectives of the event dictate it.

The people who bully kids have far different motives... not even remotely the same reasoning.

Ebola patients can board cruise ships and fly on commercial airlines...banning seems extreme.

Instead, maybe allow other players to vaccinate the infected?! Those mechanics already exist in many forms.

Oh my, that opens up a whole new discussion.

Are you suggesting that this plague was actually created by the Jedi and Dark Councils to infect the masses so they could save us all and then steal our electrum reserves?

Edited by ThorgrimLutgen

I was one of them for a time, so yes i have the audacity.

Then you understand that comparing physical and emotional trauma and abuse to going, "Awww, guess I need a vaccine to not explode" while playing a video game (edited) is absurd...

Edited by azudelphi

So you do admit that you have no way of proving most people like the event. And it's not up to me to prove something.

What you're saying amounts to saying "God exists but I don't have to prove it. It's up to you to prove he doesn't". It's fallacious, and it's discrediting your side of the argument.

I'm saying that Bioware, who runs this game and has a fiscal interest in doing things that players enjoy, has started this event multiple times, presumably because there were large amounts of participation by players. My statement is based on reasonable assumptions.

No, the Raktroll event is the equivalent of someone spraying shaving cream all over anyone who doesn't go out and buy a red hat to wear whenever they're in public for an entire week.

What you're suggesting is far more invasive and unpleasant than the Rakghoul event is. Your analogy is more dramatic, but more inaccurate for it. Also, again, there's an easy fix that you simply aren't willing to take because... why? The fix was created exactly for people like you, so that you can shut up, vaccinate yourself, and continue playing normally, while everyone else enjoyed the event. Again, you can freely say no, no-one is stopping you from opting out of the event. Participating or not participating is entirely your choice, and you're not being inconvenienced if you do or don't.

Oh my, that opens up a whole new discussion.

Are you suggesting that this plague was actually created by the Jedi and Dark Councils to infect the masses so they could save us all and then steal our electrum reserves?

I don't know what you're talking about....I skip most story elements...

Then you understand that comparing physical and emotional trauma and abuse to going, "Awww, guess I need a vaccine to not explode" while playing a video game (edited) is absurd...

The consequences are not the same, it is true, but the bully mentality is the same, and that i know better than anyone.

No. The people spreading the disease are doing so because the objectives of the event dictate it.

Do you always blindly do as you're told? No. You do it because for you, the activity is worth the reward. It's about what you are WILLING to do. Nobody and nothing FORCES you to do it.

But people who don't want to participate in the event are FORCED to either buy a vaccine or stay in the stronghold or ship. Or just not play at all.

No, the fact you don't think it's fair that I might be able to fight back is.

No. The problem stems from you considering yourself a victim. This progresses to you wanting revenge against those who have "done you wrong" where no wrong-doing has occurred.

The people who bully kids have far different motives... not even remotely the same reasoning.

"We're having fun, and if you didn't want to take part, you should have done something to stop us, or not have come this way." "If you don't like us having fun at your expense, that's your problem." "Doesn't matter to me what they like, if they don't want to be targeted, they shouldn't come around here."

No. The problem stems from you considering yourself a victim. This progresses to you wanting revenge against those who have "done you wrong" where no wrong-doing has occurred.

So, by that rationale, it is clear that you think it is wrong for me, a humble plague victim to have the ability to shoot and kill you before you can infect me.

Which state are you from?

So, by that rationale, it is clear that you think it is wrong for me, a humble plague victim to have the ability to shoot and kill you before you can infect me.

Which state are you from?

Wait, if you are a plague victim then aren't you the one doing infecting?

I'm saying that Bioware, who runs this game and has a fiscal interest in doing things that players enjoy, has started this event multiple times, presumably because there were large amounts of participation by players. My statement is based on reasonable assumptions.

You're assuming Bioware knows what players want. When was the last time they asked? I don't remember ever seeing a poll for players to vote on what they'd like to see Bioware focus on.

Do you always blindly do as you're told? No. You do it because for you, the activity is worth the reward. It's about what you are WILLING to do. Nobody and nothing FORCES you to do it.

But people who don't want to participate in the event are FORCED to either buy a vaccine or stay in the stronghold or ship. Or just not play at all.

How are you forced to stay in a stronghold or a ship? Let's take away vaccines and everything else - if you can't avoid infected players while leveling, doing dailies, etc, you're a pretty bad player, especially since most of them will be on Fleet and Corellia anyways. It's really not all that difficult, so :?

Meh, you just want to be able to PvP freely. I don't think you actually care about anything else with the Rakghoul event, you just want more opportunity to PvP. Which is ok, but don't try and sugarcoat it with other justifications.

Oh absolutely.

This event is the perfect opportunity to allow us to do such.

It certainly would keep those who don't have the balls for it from running around infecting people.

I find it hard to believe that anyone would suggest this event would be less fun, if people could fight back and that plague carriers were same faction flagged.

What you're suggesting is far more invasive and unpleasant than the Rakghoul event is. Your analogy is more dramatic, but more inaccurate for it. Also, again, there's an easy fix that you simply aren't willing to take because... why? The fix was created exactly for people like you, so that you can shut up, vaccinate yourself, and continue playing normally, while everyone else enjoyed the event. Again, you can freely say no, no-one is stopping you from opting out of the event. Participating or not participating is entirely your choice, and you're not being inconvenienced if you do or don't.

It's a problem precisely because we shouldn't have to go out of our way, ONE STEP out of our way, to avoid taking part in something that we don't have any interest in. We do not find this event fun, and additionally find it even less fun because of the forced nature.

The only way that some players not taking part diminishes the enjoyment of the game for those who do take part... is if a participant's fun comes directly from the ability to troll other players.

"We're having fun, and if you didn't want to take part, you should have done something to stop us, or not have come this way." "If you don't like us having fun at your expense, that's your problem." "Doesn't matter to me what they like, if they don't want to be targeted, they shouldn't come around here."

No. It's more like a bunch of your friends decide, "Let's play Monopoly and the house rule is that you get 2x the cash when you land on Go!" and you declare "What's wrong with you! That's not how I want to play the game! Stop bullying me!"

And the infection isn't targeted in as much as people are looking for the non-vaccinated and uninfected. They aren't singling you out to make your life miserable. They aren't trying to cause you emotional and physical harm.

Jeez... just when you thought the forums couldn't make more inappropriate of comparisons...