Unused Character Name Purge - Can we get one before 3.0?

kharathos

Personally, I think the name renewal should be a constant thing. The moment a F2P player under level 30 hits the 120-day mark of not logging in, boom, his name should be released. Same for all the other name renewal cases.

I also think there should be no "safe" threshold for a F2P player. Even a level 55 who has never paid for the game should lose his name if he doesn't log in for 180 days. Definitely if they reach 1 year. They should also lower all the other inactivity thresholds for F2Ps, like say... 30 days for lvl<10, 60 for lvl<30, 120 for lvl<50, 180 for any other F2P.

As for preferred players, they should only be safe if they are at least lvl 50. Otherwise, if you aren't active, you don't get to keep your name.

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

...and if they're not playing them, and haven't been, then they have already lost them, according to the guidelines that were quoted up thread. So really, what's the difference? If they'd done as you propose, and rolled characters that they didn't play past a certain point, those names were already purged. So now, we're saying "It's ok to steal a name from somebody else, because I can't come up with anything original". The last time this thread came up, the OP then suggested increasing the level to 50, and inactive for a week, subbed or not. Is this what you're going to shoot for too? For all we know, a player with a capped toon that's been inactive for 6 months might be deployed in the military, and unable to get on. So the reward is "hey, thanks for your service and all, but we're stealing your character names so Joe NewPlayer can have a name he can pronounce"?
How do you imagine it is stealing a name if the player abandoned his account? The new player isn't 'stealing' a name, he's making a name up. He has no idea someone once had a character by that name.

I don't know many soldiers who don't pull up their toons at the USO gaming hot spots when deployed, btw.

I don't know why you are pushing your issues, but your argument so far is bogus.

Edited by Gleneagle

How do you imagine it is stealing a name if the player abandoned his account?

How do you know they abandoned their account? Is it because it's convenient for you to see it that way because you want that name that badly? I certainly know people that walked away from the game, and frankly, I don't care about their names one bit. But I have health issues that might force me away from the game for extended periods, and if I were to come back to find my names gone, you can bet, I'd just unsub. It's not worth the drama to try to get them back, and if BW really thought that little of my money to begin with, they surely won't miss it. All of my 55s are known by their names, so it's ok to let somebody else have it because I "abandoned my account" while I was in the hospital for 6 months?

Are people really this unimaginative that they can't come up with a name?

How do you know they abandoned their account? Is it because it's convenient for you to see it that way because you want that name that badly? I certainly know people that walked away from the game, and frankly, I don't care about their names one bit. But I have health issues that might force me away from the game for extended periods, and if I were to come back to find my names gone, you can bet, I'd just unsub. It's not worth the drama to try to get them back, and if BW really thought that little of my money to begin with, they surely won't miss it. All of my 55s are known by their names, so it's ok to let somebody else have it because I "abandoned my account" while I was in the hospital for 6 months?

Are people really this unimaginative that they can't come up with a name?

I think it's worth mentioning that under neither BioWare's name renewal policy nor my more strict suggestions would you lose any of your toon's names, so I don't see what you are complaining about. I'm pretty sure no one is arguing for any names to be released except for those that are A) F2P players (never spent a penny on SWTOR) who haven't touched the game in months, B) players who didn't even play enough to hit the level cap and also haven't touched the game in months. Why would you give the slightest crop about whether those people lose their names or not?

...btw I was a founder and left the game for several months and came back to find all but I think one of my characters on new servers requiring a renaming, and it wasn't a big deal for me. I haven't had much of a problem coming up with new names. But I had to try enough times on a few of my alts to think that a new player just starting out could become quite frustrated.

The Terms of Service you agreed to in order to install the game stipulates that the names belong to the company anyway. They cannot be stolen.

I think it's worth mentioning that under neither BioWare's name renewal policy nor my more strict suggestions would you lose any of your toon's names, so I don't see what you are complaining about. I'm pretty sure no one is arguing for any names to be released except for those that are A) F2P players (never spent a penny on SWTOR) who haven't touched the game in months, B) players who didn't even play enough to hit the level cap and also haven't touched the game in months. Why would you give the slightest crop about whether those people lose their names or not?

The last time this thread was brought up, the guy that brought it up decided that being inactive for a week, sub or not, was call to have your name purged. This would never happen, and doesn't bother me, except for the motivation behind it: They want somebody else's name, and frankly, I have no way of knowing whether one of them was mine or not. The guidelines are in place, and along those rules, I have no issue whatsoever. The "but I can't come up with a name, so they need to give me the one I want" argument is where I'm having an issue.

The ironic part to all this? They do a name purge, and the names that people are wanting so badly still aren't available.

First off, I'm unlikely to ever unsub, even when taking an extended break from the game. So, assuming EA/BW stick to their previous protocol, all my names are safe. And let's face it, the protocol posted earlier in this thread seems quite fair. If you pay to sub, you keep your name. If you don't, your name is at risk depending on level and how long you've been away. As long as I'm not at risk, I don't care if they purge the dust-covered indolent names.

Second, I'm an unrepentant "MMO-character-name-squatter." First thing I do when I start playing a new MMO is hit every server on which I might ever play (i.e., I don't bother with PvP servers) and claim my favorite names (some of which I've used for RPG purposes since D&D in 1979). I don't always get all my names first, and that's fine. If I can't get the name I want, I take that as a sign that the MMO gods want me to devise a new, original name. To be honest, that's how my list of six or seven "established" names was created over the years ... replacement names I thunk up with my own brainz when my favorite names were taken.

Third, for all those who advocate for a name purge, just remember, you may not get the name you want even if they strip that name from the cold, dead hands of an inactive character. Someone else may beat you to the punch. That said, I look forward with moderate glee towards the anticipated server-crashes that accompany the "Great Name Rush" immediately following the purge, when everyone logs in at the same time to race for that one, special name that will ensure their joy and fulfillment in life.

...btw I was a founder and left the game for several months and came back to find all but I think one of my characters on new servers requiring a renaming, and it wasn't a big deal for me. I haven't had much of a problem coming up with new names. But I had to try enough times on a few of my alts to think that a new player just starting out could become quite frustrated.

The Terms of Service you agreed to in order to install the game stipulates that the names belong to the company anyway. They cannot be stolen.

As has been said before, a name purge might not help you.

Hypothetical situation:

Player A is a subscriber. Player A plays on one server, but has low level characters on 2 other servers. Player A has not logged into those characters in over a year. One of those low level characters has a name that you want. The name of that low level character is safe even though player A has not logged into that character in over a year because player A is a subscriber.

Now, are you going to suggest that the criteria for a name purge be changed simply so that you can get your precious name?

I don't need help. I have all the characters I need ftm. It might help others, however, and there isn't a good reason to lock away names that aren't used.

Are you advocating taking a name from a subscriber just so Johnny can have his precious name?

Are you advocating taking a name from a subscriber just so Johnny can have his precious name?

Of course not. Where did that come from? Your hypothetical situation described two posts above this was absurd. I'm talking about someone who stopped sub and hasn't played for half a year. If they drop sub and haven't played then their character names should go forfeit. Bioware could give extended leave of absence for corner cases if the player has the foresight to set it up. For the troops a .mil email address should qualify.

Or are we somehow invested in discouraging new players thinking of subbing from making a character by giving them a naming nightmare because all the guys decided it would be clever to create all 350 characters across all servers just to lock up names?

Edited by Gleneagle

Of course not. Where did that come from?

I'm just trying to clarify what you meant by:

I don't need help. I have all the characters I need ftm. It might help others, however, and there isn't a good reason to lock away names that aren't used.

What makes a name "not used"?

Is the name held by a subscriber on a character he has not logged into in over a year, or over 2 years, a name that isn't used?

I would love another purge, maybe one without level restriction for inactivity >=2 years. After all, it's not like the character gets deleted, it's just that the name will be purged. So all they would have lost if they ever come back is a name on a character they have not cared about for 2 years or longer. I had a similar experience as the OP during the server merges. I belonged to those who had to go through it twice. I didn't mind losing names to active players, but one name that I had secured during early access was lost to a character that even by the time of the first transfer was already inactive and by now has not been logged in to for 2.5 years. I tried to make my peace with it, but I had created them as siblings with carefully chosen names corresponding to their personality and legacy name. Even after all this time it makes me sad to have a name I care about wasted on an inactive character.

Or are we somehow invested in discouraging new players thinking of subbing from making a character by giving them a naming nightmare because all the guys decided it would be clever to create all 350 characters across all servers just to lock up names?

any new player has that problem when they start up a new game that has been around for a year or more! its not that big of a deal and it helps you be more creative. i have never had that problem with choosing a name for a toon. this is coming from a guy that had a goblin sorcerer named Yoduh, a goblin deathknight named Darthyoda and a panda named genmasaotome B^P you just have to be creative ... some times you get lucky with not so creative names like the examples of my wow characters. there really isnt a need for a name purge and free to play people dont need any more restrictions, they have enough as it is, they shouldn't be punished just because they didn't log onto a toon in over a week or even a month. if a name isnt available to you then try and be more creative! give your toon a last name or try putting a Mr., Mrs., Miss., or Master, or Darth at the beginning.

I could take the 180 view of this: If you didn't get the name you wanted on character selection, because it was already taken, tough luck. I know I'd sure hate to come back from yet another stroke to find out that because my sub was cancelled while I was fighting for my life in a hospital, somebody decided it would be a good idea to take my name(s).

Granted that that's a rather extreme example of why someone could be away from the game, I have actually been there, and while it's not life ending, it would kinda suck. However, to those that would latch onto this as "but it's not the end of the world..." , neither is not having that one name you think you have to have bad enough to have it removed from somebody else.

and this ^

Have you tried using more original kind of names, i never run into issues on sites or games with my names being taken except for 2 or 3 less then original names that i use, but i do agree after some point the names should be freed up, maybe after 6 months or 12 months they get an email warning saying if they don't play within the next week or 2 there name will become available for use and they may need to change it next time they login after the 1-2 week grace period.

if the account is payed you should NEVER get the name. ever. taking paying customers names is a recipe for lost accounts. names are first come, first served. any other system is broken. if the account is unpaid and not logged on, then they have a formula for that. but if you are just concerned about when the character was last played, that has no bearing. I have characters that I leveled to the mid 20's in the first month of the game. I have spent my time since then leveling 20 55's. I will get back to those other characters when it pleases me.

/signed. While I can usually come up with a cool name that isn't taken yet, sometimes it can take a while. Name purging should be done once a year or so.

Amazingly, when making my Gunslinger last week (my 16th and final toon!), the name "Blunderbuss" was NOT taken! I was like o.0 sweeeet.

I would love another purge, maybe one without level restriction for inactivity >=2 years. After all, it's not like the character gets deleted, it's just that the name will be purged. So all they would have lost if they ever come back is a name on a character they have not cared about for 2 years or longer. I had a similar experience as the OP during the server merges. I belonged to those who had to go through it twice. I didn't mind losing names to active players, but one name that I had secured during early access was lost to a character that even by the time of the first transfer was already inactive and by now has not been logged in to for 2.5 years. I tried to make my peace with it, but I had created them as siblings with carefully chosen names corresponding to their personality and legacy name. Even after all this time it makes me sad to have a name I care about wasted on an inactive character.

For all you know, the character that holds the name you covet could well belong to subscriber who is active, but on a different server. That would leave that name protected and a name purge would not free it up.

I think the criteria used in the last name purge are more than fair and those same criteria should be used if there is another name purge.

Have you tried using more original kind of names, i never run into issues on sites or games with my names being taken except for 2 or 3 less then original names that i use, but i do agree after some point the names should be freed up, maybe after 6 months or 12 months they get an email warning saying if they don't play within the next week or 2 there name will become available for use and they may need to change it next time they login after the 1-2 week grace period.

Because calling yourself CapWinterz in game is great. Or even combining it with a title! Captain CapWinterz! Or the original name of ZzzzHexateXxxx! Or even Gsksfniwoslasry!

:p

You keep using those original names.

Now that said, I haven't had issue yet with names.

I have crafting toons that are 20s-40s since launch. Never have and never will level these toons up to 55. So seeing a character at same level tells you nothing about active. I've kept my sub active, even when I've gone dark, and am legacy level 30. So count me out of any name purge. No way to implement one fairly.

Everyone keeps talking about a "purge" like no new names have been made available since they first announced the rename guidelines. The current guidelines are constantly turning over unused names. They may not be the ones you're looking for, but they're there.

As for renaming inactive characters at higher levels, I think that is an extremely bad idea. Someone invested enough time to get their character up to level 30. By this point, they've probably played a good portion of their class story, they may have made some friends, and generally gotten a feel for their character. Then, for whatever reason, they stop playing. Disinterest, real life issues, whatever, their toon gathers dust until they think, "Hey, I might like to go try out that game/character again..."

And when they log on, the character that they have invested so much time in must now be renamed. Some people don't care; others would be so annoyed/disappointed that they would give up then and there and decide they don't feel like playing again, after all. This is exactly the scenario BioWare has to avoid if they want previous players to return to the game (and hopefully resubscribe).

Names of inactive lowbies are being made available the moment they hit the inactivity limit. Subs cannot lose names because that is a poor business strategy. BioWare heard the complaints about lack of choices and, after what I assume must have been much deliberation, decided that 30 should be the cutting-off point. Even if you raise that point, whatever popular name you want might still be claimed by a 55 or a subscriber.

I do, however, think that the default name generator should check the availability of the names it suggests. It is quite annoying to give in to the auto-namer only to be told you can't have that auto-name.

They are. I cant use name i had before server merges. Time to time i still try if i can change it to the original one but its still in use. And i dont want other names.

No they aren't. My boyfriend and I are both using the same legacy name.

Edited by ScarletBlaze

They took 2 names from me, but i was active...in a different server.

So this name purge, is risky, because if they take one of my current server names and give it to another one... This will make me leave.

It proves name purge was not only for users who are inactive for a long period. They also took names from unused characters, not inactive players.

Edited by Oyranos

And as soon as EAWare announces another name purge this particular person will log back in just to reserve the name for himself but as usual he will not play after the reservation. it was same when just few months ago WoW also did the name purge thing, i remember one guy in wow forums "i reinstalled just to reserve the name, played for an hour and what a horrible game it still is!! waste of my time!!". these kind of people only reserve names so that they can troll other players. they should be banned permanently.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.