Commendations in 3.0

Brewski

• Replies 462
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good post Brewski!

I wanted to explain exactly how the Commendation stuff will work in 3.0 as I know I still had some questions I was unsure of on the stream. Here is the basic layout of what will happen in 3.0.

• Planetary and Classic Commendations no longer exist. All current Planetary and Classic Commendations will become Basic.
  • All Elite and Ultimate Commendations that you have will become Basic Commendations. Elite and Ultimate Commendations still exist but you will need to earn them anew in 3.0.

I know there are a few followup questions; what will the cap be, is there a conversion rate, etc. We are still working out details like that in testing but as soon as we have it nailed down I will let you know!

-eric

Thanks for the information - and for the reset on higher tier commendations. I look forward to seeing more details on conversion rates and any caps or overage allowances as part of the transition.

A quick follow-up if you have the information...

What will happen to the current gear on the vendors (will some disappear or will it all still be available post 3.0), and what level of gear will be available on the vendors when 3.0 hits (e.g. what rating levels of gear will be available for level 55 and 60 on the vendors)?

Also which gear, if any, will allow learning schematics from RE?

Edited by DawnAskham

[*]All Elite and Ultimate Commendations that you have will become Basic Commendations. Elite and Ultimate Commendations still exist but you will need to earn them anew in 3.0.

-eric

This is ridiculous. You are in effect devaluing the currency. Ultimate comms were earned doing HM content and should purchase HM gear.

You are creating a new type of "money sink" here in order to drain the populations existing Ultimate comms to force them to do more content to take longer to earn comms that they have already earned in order to purchase gear they should already have currency to purchase.

Why at every turn if there is an opportunity to give your player base the shaft do you take that option?

Good post Brewski!

I wanted to explain exactly how the Commendation stuff will work in 3.0 as I know I still had some questions I was unsure of on the stream. Here is the basic layout of what will happen in 3.0.

• Planetary and Classic Commendations no longer exist. All current Planetary and Classic Commendations will become Basic.
  • All Elite and Ultimate Commendations that you have will become Basic Commendations. Elite and Ultimate Commendations still exist but you will need to earn them anew in 3.0.

I know there are a few followup questions; what will the cap be, is there a conversion rate, etc. We are still working out details like that in testing but as soon as we have it nailed down I will let you know!

-eric

Lol. This is absolute garbageness. So what happens to PVP comms? Do we lose those too?

This is ridiculous. You are in effect devaluing the currency. Ultimate comms were earned doing HM content and should purchase HM gear.

You are creating a new type of "money sink" here in order to drain the populations existing Ultimate comms to force them to do more content to take longer to earn comms that they have already earned in order to purchase gear they should already have currency to purchase.

Why at every turn if there is an opportunity to give your player base the shaft do you take that option?

Expansions that raise the level cap tend to reset gear progression so all players start on an even foot, and all players have to earn new gear through new content.

It would be ridiculous to allow players to stockpile Ultimate commendations from running level 55 SM bolstered Operations tuned for 156 gear to buy the new highest rating level 60 gear in the new expansion with new Operations.

Edited by DawnAskham

Good post Brewski!

-eric

What are your intentions with warzone and ranked warzone comms?

Hmm... My take on this

1. For those who already have maxed high end gear .. be patient to see what is available with release of 3.0 (seems like that is the trend with most MMO's). This not meant as a rant. Just the nature of the beast. New major release means changes in gear, what and how to get it as well as how that new gear interacts with new game content. Again this is not being said out of anger or frustration ... just my personal take on new releases.

2. Remember also that the skill trees are being redone .. or changed ... that also affects how we gear up.

3. The one question that might remain is how will this affect our moddable gear and will we still be able to have access to the modifications needed to flesh out our moddable gear as we can now one we get to the new level ... 55 or 60 ( I think now you have access at level 50) via "commendations".

BTW... I appreciate the Dev's jumping in to begin sheading light on this. If I'm a bit confused ... it's cool. We'll figure it out. No biggie.

Good post Brewski!

-eric

This is honestly how I was hoping it would be. I don't think people should be earning gear in the new expansion from the old one. Thanks Eric!

They're actually increasing the value of the currency. Currently it can buy 168 and 180 gear. In the expansion it will buy 186 gear. That's an increase in the power of what you can buy.

You earned those comms running level 55 HMs, Why should you be able to use them to buy top level 60 gear?

This is ridiculous.

No, it isn't. It's actually the only thing that makes sense.

When the expac launches, ALL comms that you now have will be converted to the currency that buys the new entry level gear for level 60 story mode ops. That's the exact same gear that you can get now from doing the hardest content. Whether you stockpile comms or keep on running today's treadmill, you'll be well set up to start the new content.

And EVERYONE starts the new content from the same starting line. If you're "done" gearing under the present system, then you're all set to start right away gearing up again under the new system. If you're not all geared up now, then keeping on with your grind at this point will only be helpful, whether you're buying gear or saving comms, so none of your effort is wasted.

This is exactly how every game that does these sorts of expansions typically does them. The entire point is setting everyone back to the start so they can run the race all over again on the new track. If you were at the endpoint before, you have the advantage of needing to do nothing to get to the starting line well set up for the next leg. Beyond that, it's a new game for everyone.

Edited by Heezdedjim

It's ridiculous to think you'd be able to skip having to grind comms and be full level 60 gear on Day 1.

Good post Brewski!

-eric

You guys really need to up your communication here. Comms changing in 3.0. You've mentioned changes in the way we gear as far as things look and act. Mentioned a change in how alacrity works so I'm assuming other stats will have some changes as well. Changes in combat at least as far as CC being cleansable and to top it all off, we have only seen 1/8th of the classes skill line changes, and vaguely in a video at that. Not to mention the usual questions that go with a level cap increase.

Just seems like a lot to go through before this expansion releases.

I don't usually rant and rave on the forums, but this is honestly the stupidest, most idiotic post I've ever seen. You're running ops that require 156 gear in order to buy 180 gear--killing the Writhing Horror after the first Jealous Male and all that--and BioWare is even letting you stockpile the comms from those BS "ops" to buy 186 gear with them. And you want to whine because maybe, just maybe, you should have to complete an op that requires 180 gear before you get into 192 stuff? Good grief, folks. It'll be okay.

They're making a good decision with this, despite the cries that they're soon to get that "SM is too hard" because most folks nowadays never had to run SnV SM in with all 16 people in 66 gear. There's a learning curve ahead that i, for one, think will be good for the playerbase. But regardless, this conversion merely assures that players get rewards equal to the work they put in. That's it. Perhaps with the increase in skill that's coming, more people will get into real HM ops and realize, much to their surprise, that comm gear is garbage anyway.

Edited by ArcadioBuenida

Edit: Updated to reflect Eric's information clarifying the way commendations will work in 3.0.

Confirmed information:

[*]Basic - leveling gear and entry level 60 gear. (186)

Why is everyone assuming 186 is going to be obtainable via comms? Nightmare Gear has never been accessable for comms even when RotHC came out you still could only get NiM gear from actual NiM Ops. Most likely only 180s will be purchasable with comms and you still have to do NiM DF and DP to get 186 gear

Why is everyone assuming 186 is going to be obtainable via comms? Nightmare Gear has never been accessable for comms even when RotHC came out you still could only get NiM gear from actual NiM Ops. Most likely only 180s will be purchasable with comms and you still have to do NiM DF and DP to get 186 gear

It's probably not actually NiM gear. It's probably just items of an equivalent rating level.

Good post Brewski!

-eric

Currently, players can spend 40 Warzone Commendations for 1 Planetary Commendation.

If Planetary Commendations will be replaced by Basic Commendations, you will see players PvPing for PvE gear.

Are you sure this is wise?

You guys really need to up your communication here. Comms changing in 3.0. You've mentioned changes in the way we gear as far as things look and act. Mentioned a change in how alacrity works so I'm assuming other stats will have some changes as well. Changes in combat at least as far as CC being cleansable and to top it all off, we have only seen 1/8th of the classes skill line changes, and vaguely in a video at that. Not to mention the usual questions that go with a level cap increase.

Just seems like a lot to go through before this expansion releases.

Here is the announced information release schedule via their LiveStreams on Twitch:

Thursday, October 30: Discussion of universal combat changes (e.g. alacrity, stat diminishing returns, CCs, cleanses)

Weekly in November: Discussion of changes to advanced classes.

Currently, players can spend 40 Warzone Commendations for 1 Planetary Commendation.

If Planetary Commendations will be replaced by Basic Commendations, you will see players PvPing for PvE gear.

Are you sure this is wise?

I'm not sure why they would be. You'll likely still get basics faster through dailies and old planetary heroics than through PVP.

As mentioned above, it won't be the nightmare shells (i.e. the "look.) It'll just be gear with 186 statistics on it so players don't get smoked when they walk into the new story mode Operations.

Here is the announced information release schedule via their LiveStreams on Twitch:

Thursday, October 30: Discussion of universal combat changes (e.g. alacrity, stat diminishing returns, CCs, cleanses)

Weekly in November: Discussion of changes to advanced classes.

I was aware of the November part but not the combat changes. Thank you.

Wonder how that works; though. 4 weeks in November yet 7 ACs to cover would have to do more than one a week or more than one per stream I'm assuming.

It's probably not actually NiM gear. It's probably just items of an equivalent rating level.

I just ask this because currently there is no gear equivalent to NiM 186 gear. when 2.0 happen you did have a gear rating equivilant. I am assuming as there have been no info on adding 186 comms version that its probably only going to go up to 180 not 186.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.