mod gear(orange) whats the point of greens and blues?

SuperomegaOP

seriously i get so happy when i see some gear that i can use thats has better base stats than my current orange gear... then i quickly realized that ONLY the BASE stats are higher and the mods are still superior...

the sad part is i cant even give this gear to my companion who has my old orange gear... seriously some of this mod gear looks fugly some dropped stuff looks neat on my trooper

am i missing something here? whats the point in greens/blues when you can make orange gear better with mods?

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Is it possible you are confusing the 'mods' and 'base stats?'

Orange gear has no base stats, all the stats you see when you mouse over are the cumulative impact of the mods on that particular piece. If you remove all the mods it's just going to have some armor.

For example, when I mouse over my lightsaber I see:

"Total Stats:

33 str

48 end

17 Power

214 Force Power

Item Mods

Red Color (24)

+9 end

Hilt

+18 str

+12 end

Mod

+15 str

+16 end

Enh

+11 End

+17 Power"

It's not the stats under "Total Stats" in addition to the stats under "Item Modifications" - the "Total Stats" is literally just an easy-to-see total value of all the mods added together for comparison with non-mod gear.

Is it possible you are confusing the 'mods' and 'base stats?'

Orange gear has no base stats, all the stats you see when you mouse over are the cumulative impact of the mods on that particular piece. If you remove all the mods it's just going to have some armor.

For example, when I mouse over my lightsaber I see:

"Total Stats:

33 str

48 end

17 Power

214 Force Power

Item Mods

Red Color (24)

+9 end

Hilt

+18 str

+12 end

Mod

+15 str

+16 end

Enh

+11 End

+17 Power"

It's not the stats under "Total Stats" in addition to the stats under "Item Modifications" - the "Total Stats" is literally just an easy-to-see total value of all the mods added together for comparison with non-mod gear.

you serious O.O

The idea behind the "orange" armors and weapons was so if you liked the look of a weapon or armor, that was orange, you didn't have to feel pressured to replace it for an ugly new green or blue.

For example, the Jedi's lightsaber they make at the end of the prologue is handled very well. It would be kind of silly to just throw it aside because that green vibroblade is stronger. As it's an orange-quality item, you can upgrade it with mods to make sure its always as good as anything. As it should be, after all, it's the lightsaber your character made.

Yep completely.

Mod Gear is pretty nice. But its down side is you must find/craft/buy mods to keep it up to spec with the blue/greens you see dropping around you level. So its not outright better as you can get greens/blues just as good. Its there so if you like to have a "look" you have that option.

Green and blue armor is also useful for whenever there are moments that the mods on an orange piece of armor are statistically inadequate compared to the green/blue armor just recieved. Rather than taking the time off to go to a vendor and get mods immediately, the player can equip the new piece of armor for the time being while putting the orange armor to the side for later upgrades.

While we're at this subject:

How far does the modding system go? Say I still have my Tython Lightsaber, keeping it up to date with modifications I find. Can I keep upgrading the Tython LS all the way to level 50? Beyond? By continuously finding better mods, even in Operations, by taking 'epic' mods out of orange gear?

How far does the modding system go? Say I still have my Tython Lightsaber, keeping it up to date with modifications I find. Can I keep upgrading the Tython LS all the way to level 50? Beyond? By continuously finding better mods, even in Operations, by taking 'epic' mods out of orange gear?

Exactly. I love this feature. (mind you, removing an enhancement from a BOE will soul bind it to you, I found out the hard way!)

I looked like a soldier equiped from the salvation army in WOW while leveling.

The only reason to replace your Tython Lightsaber is if another Lightsaber looked different, or if you just really don't wanna keep swapping mods from one 'saber to your old one. Your original lightsaber will serve you all your life - as it should.

In theory, this is possible. You'll require money to repair the lightsaber and remove epic mods from modable items you don't want. You have to find a way to buy superior mods. The modification commendation vendor usually sells the best mods available for the planet. This is because, in the end, all orange items of the same type have the same stats when all mods are stripped from them.

my JK has a full set of oranges.. helmet, chest, belt, pants, boots, bracers and weapon (that's like 22 mods)... you have no idea the cost to keep them all up to par... if I pick every planet commendation I can from mission rewards and loot a few I can't even upgrade 1/4 of it to blue my lvl... it became a pain to handle... so for lvling I stuck with just chest, pants and weapon orange and the rest blue/green till I hit 50 and had the time to just farm mods

I am rather fond of rocking the Security key vendor dancers outfits tho :p

Edited by Liquidacid

I've been saving ALL my orange armor and pistols for a "wardrobe closet" sort to speak.

Me too. :) While wearing blues and purples. :p

I just wish I could get more "set" oranges. I have many different ones but they don't match (not just in colours). :(

Edited by Areka

my JK has a full set of oranges.. helmet, chest, belt, pants, boots, bracers and weapon (that's like 22 mods)... you have no idea the cost to keep them all up to par... if I pick every planet commendation I can from mission rewards and loot a few I can't even upgrade 1/4 of it to blue my lvl... it became a pain to handle... so for lvling I stuck with just chest, pants and weapon orange and the rest blue/green till I hit 50 and had the time to just farm mods

I am rather fond of rocking the Security key vendor dancers outfits tho :p

This is why you go Cybertech.

This is why you go Cybertech.

that still only covers 2/3 (cause no enhancments, hilts or crystals) the mods I need and then I have to craft/reverse tons of greens to get the blue recipes every single lvl and send out tons of crew missions for the "special" material needed for blue/purples... just as much if not more work and money for that many

Edited by Liquidacid

that still barely covers 1/2 the mods I need and then I have to craft/reverse tons of greens to get the blue recipes every single lvl and send out tons of crew missions for the "special" material needed for blue/purples... just as much if not more work and money for that many

Best crew skill combo: scybertech-scavenging-slicing

Make mods with cybertech and collect mats with scavenging. Slicing will get you the money to buy the blue components off the galactic market. :)

Best crew skill combo: scybertech-scavenging-slicing

Make mods with cybertech and collect mats with scavenging. Slicing will get you the money to buy the blue components off the galactic market. :)

still just as much effort as going artifice or cybertech/underword trading and crew missioning all them... I've tried every combo during beta... no matter what way you go, because of the 3 skill limit, you are either still paying a ton and needing to buy close to 1/2 the mods

I suppose this is a good system tho since it means no one player can just make everything alone and thus needs to use the market and contribute to the economy

If this is true that any orange you find can be upgraded indefinately with mods to compare with "level" gear, how does base damage work on say an orange lightsaber?

There is no mod that adds to base damage that I know of.

damage/armor rating on lightsabers is based off the hilt mod, barrel for blasters and armor mod for armor...

Edited by Liquidacid

But don't you need the items that allow you to mod?

Say you have an orange item that looks good, but pick up a blue item that's awesome but doesn't look as good. But you want the orange item for it's wardrobe value, so you want to upgrade the orange so it will be as goodas the blue. Can you do that automatically by somehow disassembling the blue? Or do you have to wait to get items (crystals, parts, ect) to do that?