Things Veteran Players Wish Newbs Knew

Dras_Keto

• Replies 577
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Rather than tutorials why not just make class quests harder.

Take a look at the boss at the top of the tower on oricon. Once you have full rep the only reason for going there is to get 156. Sub 156 that boss cannot be beaten with pew-pew-pew.

Nope. You can totally beat him with Campaign/Black Hole gear without interrupting (if you have a good tank or healer comp). It's just that interrupting is what a sane player would do, and if the internet has taught me anything it's that people are either crazy or dense as a neutron star (or both:eek:).

Are you sure about that? Being able to kill that guy with nothing above level 50 gear with no interrupts, stuns or knockbacks or anything to curtail the 4 different 'ravages' he casts seems rather unlikely.

My Shadow has 4 piece 146 set bonus but still Tharan doesn't have difficulties keeping me alive even with his 140/148 gear. I use Mind Snap, Force Stun and Force Wave though but that's not the point.

Edited by Halinalle

I really wish they would have blended into the early level storylines having the mentor giving brief instruction on new abilities (how they work, a masters wisdom on when to use them). Prime example being forcewave. It can be handy, but infuriates countless players when sages spam it and blow mobs all over and breaks cc. Its a great ability for single target interrupt (when there isn't boss immunity), when npc's have one hit of health left, or trying to knock an npc over a ledge. Also a quick group heal after a mob is down. The game throws all these abilities at players and few research their classes to know how and when best to use them. Adding instruction into starter mission storylines would have gone a long ways.

Having said that I have a lot of patience in flashpoints. Having said that things that drive me nuts;

Top of the list is people new to a flashpoint that don't state such at the beginning and would rather wipe a group through their lack of what to do or where to go. TELL the group its your first run and you will see how helpful people are. Then be sure to follow the group and wait for direction.

Tanks in dps gear.

Tanks that que for the hard flashpoints with gear 30 levels too low

Players with completely wrong mainstats gear (resolve on a guardian tank)

Someone who spams force wave

Someone who nags constantly about bonus boss. If group decides not to do it then leave if you don't agree, don't ramble one the entire flashpoint.

Edited by Drew_Braxton

My Shadow has 4 piece 146 set bonus but still Tharan doesn't have difficulties keeping me alive even with his 140/148 gear. I use Mind Snap, Force Stun and Force Wave though but that's not the point.

Yes, but whats the rest of your gear? Whats your companion in?

The first time I did that quest, I had nothing on either my powertech or mako better than grade 150. And yes, it was easy, but thats because I had about 30 or 31k hp due to being in perfectly statted level 50 tank gear. And I interrupted, and stunned and whatever, because I could and there was no reason not to. And Mako was pretty geared too.

Actually that is the point. I said that guy cannot be beaten by sub 156 using pew-pew-pew. Interrupt, stun and wave (second interrupt) is not what I meant by pew-pew-pew.

Here's another one and it's more annoying then anything.

You=level 55, hp well above 30k (min) and your companion well above 30k (min), you're doing your dailies, same ones you've been doing for 2-3 years....

Newbie: Sees you, thinks you need help on that npc, kills it for you.

You: o.0

Now, I'm not talking about grouping with you or killing that boss that everyone needs and basically a line might form if they wait. I'm talking a regular old npc you need to kill just to get creds and it's part of a 1/10 specific npc quest and there are about 1000 of these npcs. They'll follow you for a bit and kill what you kill.

Last I checked, I can solo the daily areas myself and it's quicker for me because I skip some quests in certain daily areas, or don't do them in other areas.

Newbs, if we're fine and not grouped or having an issue, and you don't have to wait in line? Stoppit. Thanks.

Last I checked, I can solo the daily areas myself and it's quicker for me because I skip some quests in certain daily areas, or don't do them in other areas.

And this is something I will never understand. Staged bonus and Area 2+ are easy comms in Section X. Even Oricon has very easy comms if you know what to do (oh no, you have to use Seeker Droid blah blah).

Here's another one and it's more annoying then anything.

You=level 55, hp well above 30k (min) and your companion well above 30k (min), you're doing your dailies, same ones you've been doing for 2-3 years....

Newbie: Sees you, thinks you need help on that npc, kills it for you.

You: o.0

Now, I'm not talking about grouping with you or killing that boss that everyone needs and basically a line might form if they wait. I'm talking a regular old npc you need to kill just to get creds and it's part of a 1/10 specific npc quest and there are about 1000 of these npcs. They'll follow you for a bit and kill what you kill.

Newbs, if we're fine and not grouped or having an issue, and you don't have to wait in line? Stoppit. Thanks.

I had a similar issue last year, on US Thanksgiving, I was playing my freshly rolled Sorcerer, running on DK killing rebelling slaves for the achievement and bonus and this Sin kept following me around, stealing my kills and whispering to me "Hey, whatcha doing" and the like until I rage quit and logged out. After I told him that the turkey is in the oven, I only have so much time before I get summoned to help make sure the gravy and all else is ready, so leave me alone to kill slaves for my mission, kthx bi.

Was my first Sorc, but I was doing fine melee killing with Khem and then healing the Dashade's. Did Impside alts before, did not need help.

Every time since someone has tried anything like that, I just log out and switch alts.

I despise ninja kills. And I always turn my comp to passive if I wind up attacking an NPC someone else was targeting by mistake (didn't see the player, didn't realize the player was going to attack instead of running on through, usually), and then if playing a healer, toss a heal to the player and run to get out of the fight before turning my comp off passive.

One thing that would be nice to mitigate some of the 'unwanted helper' problem is if all the elements of a pack (a group of linked mobs, IE, you aggro one, all the rest activate as well) were tagged simultaneously when combat starts instead of on taking damage.

Some classes dont have decent aoe, or aoe that you dont really want to use. This way, the second you start combat, everything youre engaged with is tagged as yours. I doubt very much it will do away with those persistent "helpers" but it will at least make it impossible to "steal" a mob off you.

One thing that would be nice to mitigate some of the 'unwanted helper' problem is if all the elements of a pack (a group of linked mobs, IE, you aggro one, all the rest activate as well) were tagged simultaneously when combat starts instead of on taking damage.

Some classes dont have decent aoe, or aoe that you dont really want to use. This way, the second you start combat, everything youre engaged with is tagged as yours. I doubt very much it will do away with those persistent "helpers" but it will at least make it impossible to "steal" a mob off you.

When I played DC Online, a few years back I think, I remember that there was no way to ninja kill, because everyone who contributed even a hit got the same loot. So Player 1 would get items A,B,C, and Player 2 would get items A,B,C. And everyone got a kill that counted.

Not sure if that could work here, but it could help solve the problem a bit more, though auto-graying the whole mob group would help.

This thread sounds a lot like the person I hate to group with: They tell you how to play YOUR character class, tell you what spells you are supposed to use and what not to use instead of minding their own business and playing their own class the way they want!

i.e. YOUR opinion and playing style is not the alpha and omega of how to play a character! Some people like to be individualists instead of cookie cutter people. Read this and weep wise guys!

except this is a multiplayer. you aren't operating in a silo, what you do, or dont do, has a direct effect on me.

so be an individual, just dont be useless while you're at it. if you are adding nothing, then im not obligated to carry you. instead i'll remove you.

Id add this to the above:

The advice and instructions in this thread are not opinion, they are fact (except for the one beat-to-death Crushing Darkness thing. I say its utterly useless for deception outside of one very specific and totally inflexible situation where it still isnt a good idea, and a few other people disagree rather violently ... but moving on ->).

People like to accuse me of some sort of "My way or the highway" outlook. Thats not accurate at all. If you really want to accuse me of something negative sounding, try "The right way or the highway."

It does not matter how much you try and say that playing your vanguard like its a commando is "Your own personal style and method of self-expression through the medium of your in-game avatar" its flat out wrong. This is provable mathematically as well as simply by reading your skills and skill tree. And, it will be even more cut and dry with Disciplines and the locked "trees" we will now all have.

There is an objectively right and wrong way to do things. If someone is doing things the wrong way, it has a negative impact on the people they are grouped with. This can range from making everyone else's job more difficult to flat out ruining things and getting everybody killed.

Ive said this many different times and in a few different ways, but if you are playing this game with the expectation that everyone else will just have to put up with you, no matter what, you are playing the wrong game. This is a multiplayer, cooperative, "team" game. Just about everything worth doing either requires a group or is intended to be done with one. If the way you play hampers the group you cant complain when the group gets rid of you.

And this is something I will never understand. Staged bonus and Area 2+ are easy comms in Section X. Even Oricon has very easy comms if you know what to do (oh no, you have to use Seeker Droid blah blah).

Using the Seeker droids or Macrobinocs would require someone to have finished out the terrible mission sequences for those two.

Some of us had better things to do with our time, often involving a hammer to the skull repeatedly.

Using the Seeker droids or Macrobinocs would require someone to have finished out the terrible mission sequences for those two.

Some of us had better things to do with our time, often involving a hammer to the skull repeatedly.

You dont need to finish the mission chain for either to do seeker droid or mb quests.

You only have to do the intro quest on the capital planet after picking the breadcrumb ones up from makeb. That said, I dont think the macrobinocular bonus for the oricon heroic is that worth doing if youre solo. The champ you have to kill is just plain annoying, its got more cc than the other ones. Cept for maybe the two that walk up and down the straightline shot to the ops area.

You dont need to finish the mission chain for either to do seeker droid or mb quests.

If I recall correctly, the extent of what you have to do is:

(Note, make sure Oricon dailies are NOT in your mission log)

1. Get the starting missions

2. Go to Coruscant

3a. Talk to the Seeker Droid mission guy to start the mission line.

3b. Talk to the Macrobinocular mission person to start the mission line.

4. Go to Oricon and get the missions

(Second note, don't drop the seeker/ macro missions from your mission log)

A little bit of travel for 2 extra dailies per day.

Edited by azudelphi

Yet another one. *sigh* Newbies, I swear.

Us vets, every single one of us, leveled at least ONE toon to level 50 when it was actually harder to do so.

We had NO exp boosts, no guild xp boosts, no 12xp, no double xp, NOTHING but resting exp and regular xp.

We had NO adaptive gear the way we have it now. Either you had to have alot of social points/rank or be a light armor wearer.

If we didn't have adaptive gear from the above way, we killed our end of chapter bosses with crappy green and blue gear, and maybe the occasional purple gear. Some of us didn't even have relics because we weren't the right light/dark alignment for our level.

We had no heroic moments, no extra buffs, just our single buff etc. And we got to 50.

Now? They want us to help. Which usually isn't a big deal, but they're under the level and undergeared. Or they're over the level and undergeard. Or, or, they are geared and overlevel but can't play well.

Boo. I think it was actually harder during 1.0 to level then it is now. But as I usually say, I COULD be wrong...