Next Playable Race Should be DROIDS

Foambreaker

1) There is already endless art

2) The idea has already been in game in the form of lore dealing with sentient machines

3) It would push whole idea and discussion of sentient machines in games forward

The only thing is I don't know if it would be appropriate for force users, is their a precedent for a force using machines?

I'm not sure we need much precedence, what with Chiss Jedi and some of the other combos already running around.

Although like all the other races, droids wouldn't really get any special conversation options or anything in the story. They'd be treated like living beings.

If it would prompt them to finally revisit the gear situation with all droids and make them able either to wear normal armor, or actually put in some readily available level 1 orange adaptive shells for droids, then I wouldn't mind it.

They also might at long last use it as an excuse to give us some sort of droid-specific, non-weapon, equippable offhand for the stupid ship droid.

Edited by Heezdedjim

I fully support the idea of playable droids for the non-Force classes.

Still doesn't work. Agent has several story components that wouldn't make any sense with a droid, and in the trooper story it is directly mentioned that droids cannot hold rank in the republic military, which screws up the trooper story.

Still doesn't work. Agent has several story components that wouldn't make any sense with a droid, and in the trooper story it is directly mentioned that droids cannot hold rank in the republic military, which screws up the trooper story.

Yeah, now that you mention it... so no droids in most of the existing classes... hmm. (Then again, if you play through as a Cathar, there will be instances in which NPCs want to lecture you about Cathar...)

Perhaps droids as a specific class/species combo, with one new class storyline on each faction?

Yeah, now that you mention it... so no droids in most of the existing classes... hmm. (Then again, if you play through as a Cathar, there will be instances in which NPCs want to lecture you about Cathar...)

Chiss Smugglers are subjected to a handful of fairly insensitive remarks on Hoth. Rattataki players on the Republic side get subjected to some insults on Belsavis. Pureblood Sith Jedi have a few questionable moments, too.

But droids... droids would repeatedly take the prize for weird conversations. I mean, part of me would enjoy getting to wear a droid costume as a droid, but the rest of the Agent storyline would be a series of things that just don't make sense. And while the Bounty Hunter class is the one class where we actually have lore support for the idea, its also probably the one that has the most direct statements by the player which insult droids.

Droids are probably best handled through new sets of adaptive/CM gear that any character can wear. That way you don't have the problem of droid characters playing through the Class quests, and you have more customization options for how you look.

I RP a lot of droid characters with the existing sets, so more pieces of armor would just be an added bonus.

Edited by Cnids

If it helps any, in the Jedi Knight story, the NPC Jedi that helps you on Hoth had been studying Force sensitivity in droids. Still would be really hard to explain, I'm not arguing that, just that BioWare did open themselves to the opportunity IF they ever thought this would be worth doing. I think the CM droid gear is good enough and don't personally support the idea of playable droid species, but whatever floats your boat. Edited by DollQueen

If it would prompt them to finally revisit the gear situation with all droids and make them able either to wear normal armor, or actually put in some readily available level 1 orange adaptive shells for droids, then I wouldn't mind it.

They also might at long last use it as an excuse to give us some sort of droid-specific, non-weapon, equippable offhand for the stupid ship droid.

My ship droid is equipped with an adaptive generator off-hand.

I use him most of the time as my active companion, and he has adaptive gear in all slots save for earpiece and implants; no weapon for him, which is actually a blessing-in-disguise.

Even so, the droid armor that Bioware has included countless times over the past millennia, shouldn't exactly address this? People's desire to RPG as a droid?

Droid armor? You mean the cybernetic stuff?

I actually used a mixed set of that, along with a Red Scalene helmet, to make a quasi-droid character to test out the viability of playing a "droid" merc.

A couple of issues come to mind immediately:

1) there are moments in the story and NPC interactions really, really don't work so well if you're supposed to be a droid

2) some cut-scenes automatically remove all the helmets (companion conversations, largely)

I'll post a picture or two of what I came up with, if I get a chance tonight.

Conceptually, a droid character storyline is SO rich with possibilities that I could write a multi-outcome variable-overlapping-branch storyline for an entire standalone game out of it.

Edited by Max_Killjoy

1) there are moments in the story and NPC interactions really, really don't work so well if you're supposed to be a droid

How is that any different from this one dude on Ord Mantell explaining a Cathar what Cathar are?

You can't possibly expect Bioware to revisit the Vanilla game and rerecord stuff accordingly.

2) some cut-scenes automatically remove all the helmets (companion conversations, largely)

Concessions.

Edited by Darth_Wicked

It would be fun, but completly unrealistic within the framework the game has been designed in. It's one thing to change few lines for human and less-human player characters, droids would be something completly different and it would be just silly if every single NPC quest giver didn't acknowledge that you're a droid in SOME way (a surprise, an excitement, a dismissal etc). They would have to rework too much for this to work Edited by Pietrastor

How is that any different from this one dude on Ord Mantell explaining a Cathar what Cathar are?

You can't possibly expect Bioware to revisit the original Vanilla game and rerecord stuff accordingly.

No, I guess we can't. It's a shame, really...

It would be fun, but completly unrealistic within the framework the game has been designed in. It's one thing to change few lines for human and less-human player characters, droids would be something completly different and it would be just silly if every single NPC quest giver didn't acknowledge that you're a droid in SOME way (a surprise, an excitement, a dismissal etc). They would have to rework too much for this to work

What's why I tried it with a bounty hunter first, I thought it would be the least conspicuous and least "should have been mentioned by NPCs" worthy as that class.

And both reasons are why I think Bioware, on the tiny chance they did it, would have to add playable droids as a "species/class" combo, where your species and your class are combined into "droid", and introduce an entirely new story with entirely new interactions, to really make the playable droid work.

Edited by Max_Killjoy

I would love to know how you plan to explain force sensitive droids. I would also like to know how you plan to explain some of the major parts of the agent story.

Force sensitive droids play well with droids which get infected by Rakghouls; not much of a leap for SWTOR here.

I would love to know how you plan to explain force sensitive droids. I would also like to know how you plan to explain some of the major parts of the agent story.

Don't worry zoom I got you on this because pulling it straight from the IA story line, droid disguise armor. Since everyone is talking about some rumored appearance tab, have a droid disguise as a kind of costume

Get adaptive cartel market armor off the in game GTN. I play my trooper with the cybernetic series 212 full body and the cybernetic series 412 cerebrum with body type 3. I started the character with the mindset of being a Republic Military Heavy Guardian Droid and the adaptive armor lets me have that look :) That's the way to do it