Will 3.0 carry on the class storylines?

DarthMintCake

Will 3.0 carry on the class storylines? or is that all done with?

Here:

Darth_Wicked, with respect, here is your answer (I am not sure why we are being so formal, but this is good fun).

For the most part, yes, what you will play is one singular storyline which is being told from two different sides, as player-characters of both factions have the same goals in the storyline (as in Forged Alliances). Additionally, each player class will be given one unique Class Story Mission as part of the storyline; these are entirely different from one another.

Thanks!

-eric

Don't get overexcited though. It's just one mission.

Edited by Darth_Wicked

^well it's something at least. Still. What a bait-and-switch.

Not sure you understand what a "bait-and-switch" is. They've been telling us since ROTHC that they were going to focus on faction-specific stories over class-specific stories going forward....as 8 class stories takes 4 times the development time of 2 faction stories. That has been told to us repeatedly over the last year and a half. So no one should have expected class stories with this expansion. As it turns out, they are throwing us 1 unique class mission as a bone, basically. It's still going to be focused on faction stories as we all should have expected. The class story isn't even necessarily a continuation of the class storyline....they just said it's unique to each class....so we don't even know what that involves yet or whether it will be an actual continuation of a previous class storyline.

Yes it will, and like others have said, it's 1 mission, however, we don't know how long that mission will be... Chances are it won't be a fetch quest is what I'm saying. Either way though, what this means is it's extremely likely that class missions, even in the capacity of 1 mission, will start to be a somewhat regular thing now, which is definitely a good thing since most of us had lost hope in ever having class stories again, period, based on what BW has said in the past.

IM looking forward to it. It's most likely more of a "unique class specific twist" to the overarching story then a continuation of the "class storyline". But its a bit of a "carrot" to those how have many alts...it's a reason to pull that X alt out of the closet, dust them off, and see what you get in the new XP.

8 class stories takes 4 times the development time of 2 faction stories.

Actually, I think it's less than half that - 13/4 times the development time.

A while back, someone posted total durations for cutscenes from (1) class stories, (2) planetary (faction) stories, and (3) Makeb. http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=744848

If you calculate it out, per planet, there were 3.3 hours of class stories (across both factions) and 1 hour of planetary stories (again, including both factions), for a total of 4.3. Makeb, as the example of faction-only stories, had 2.5 hours across both factions.

So, a class story planet has 1.72 times the story of a faction story planet. Not 4 times - not even quite 2 times.

Of course, there's more to the game than cutscenes...but it doesn't seem unreasonable to assume that the surrounding material would be in proportion to the duration of them.

Actually, I think it's less than half that - 13/4 times the development time.

A while back, someone posted total durations for cutscenes from (1) class stories, (2) planetary (faction) stories, and (3) Makeb. http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=744848

If you calculate it out, per planet, there were 3.3 hours of class stories (across both factions) and 1 hour of planetary stories (again, including both factions), for a total of 4.3. Makeb, as the example of faction-only stories, had 2.5 hours across both factions.

So, a class story planet has 1.72 times the story of a faction story planet. Not 4 times - not even quite 2 times.

Of course, there's more to the game than cutscenes...but it doesn't seem unreasonable to assume that the surrounding material would be in proportion to the duration of them.

Except you still have to come up with and write each individual story. Its easier to write two stories that are practically the same over giving each class its own unique one.

Edited by Raansu

Its easier to write two stories that are practically the same over giving each class its own unique one.

So are the Makeb faction stories...practically the same as each other? (I've never seen them, my highest level character is 26.)

Every time I hear something about Makeb, I get less interested in it...

So are the Makeb faction stories...practically the same as each other? (I've never seen them, my highest level character is 26.)

Every time I hear something about Makeb, I get less interested in it...

No, they are completely different.

As a Pub, you get the population off the planet before it explodes.

As an Imp, you save the planet from exploding.

No, they are completely different.

As a Pub, you get the population off the planet before it explodes.

As an Imp, you save the planet from exploding.

The events themselves are exactly the same....The general theme is exactly the same. There is only one difference between the two and both happen within sequence of each other.

The planet never explodes for the pub story, they are just unaware of the empires actions.

The two stories are practically identical. You even have some of the same fights.

The two stories are practically identical. You even have some of the same fights.

NOT during the faction stories.

You are confusing it with the Staged Weeklies, which share some of the instances. Aside that, they don't even share the same fights, story wise.

EDIT:

And the stories are not identical. At all.

Edited by Darth_Wicked

NOT during the faction stories.

You are confusing it with the Staged Weeklies, which share some of the instances. Aside that, they don't even the same fights, story wise.

EDIT:

And the stories are not identical. At all.

Both sides fight the isotope droid....both sides fight the hutt at the end, both sides go to the laser drills for similar fights. The only major difference between the two is the republic evacuated the planet and the empire did whatever it could to save it so they could mine the isotope. That's it.....The overarching story is exactly the same.

Both sides fight the isotope droid....both sides fight the hutt at the end, both sides go to the laser drills for similar fights. The only major difference between the two is the republic evacuated the planet and the empire did whatever it could to save it so they could mine the isotope. That's it.....The overarching story is exactly the same.

they fight different hutts, with different mechanics, they go to different locations, different goals, different convos and different characters. the stories are not the same, they are affected by the ultimate fate of the planet but in the end the missions accomplish 2 different things and don't even share some of the locations.

No offense but you are absolutely clueless and have NO IDEA what you're talking about.

Republic players fight Toborro's Glittering Fury, while Toborro -- the new Supreme Mogul -- watches. Imperial players fight Szajin, first-Archon of the new Hutt Empire; They are NOT the same Hutt.

Both factions go to the Hutt Drill Mesa but their faction stories take place in DIFFERENT drills altogether; This ONLY changes during the Staged Weeklies.

Also...

The only major difference between the two is the republic evacuated the planet and the empire did whatever it could to save it so they could mine the isotope.

It's a big difference.

Factions don't share the same hub areas.

Factions don't share the same quest givers.

Factions don't share the same mission areas during faction stories.

THEY DON'T SHARE ANYTHING AT ALL.

- - - -

Do yourself a favor and avoid speaking of stuff you know nothing of. Not the first time either. :rolleyes:

Edited by Darth_Wicked

Awww Darth_Wilted thinks he knows stuff.

That's not an argument but then again, I hardly expected better.

They are literally the same fights. Sorry,

Repeating it won't make it so. Here:

Plus proof the fights are not the same.

You are free to believe otherwise, assuming it makes you happy I guess.

Edited by Darth_Wicked

:rolleyes:

Videos of only cutscenes but not the actual fight, ya know, the part where its exactly the same with only minor changes in the story? lawl.

Last I checked, you said earlier they were the exact same Hutt.

The earlier videos clearly show otherwise. "lawl" indeed. :rolleyes:

Regardless, there you go:

You going to keep trolling?

Edited by Darth_Wicked

:rolleyes:

Videos of only cutscenes but not the actual fight, ya know, the part where its exactly the same with only minor changes in the story? lawl.

dude, trust me, I have done both Hutt fights and they are very different. The Imperial one requires you duck to the side every time as it fries anything in the middle of the room in a large raduis, and it gets charged up by these annoying little droids, on top of every so often putting you at the back of the room.

Meanwhile Toborros fight only involves a droid that can aim its laser in any direction, but with a much smaller radius, and that drops a lot of deadly AOE's. Two different fights man have you done them before? The only similarity is that they both have lasers of death and are controlled by powermad hutts!