The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

The Death of Hybrids

Methanos

While that specific thing will be gone, the way I read the blog is that it will become easier to pull in skills from other trees / disciplines. It might bring a Dearth of Hybrids.

What it seems to be is the death of hybrid skills in terms of mixing tree's activated abilities.

From the non-activated abilities, there seems to be a move towards allowing per-fight optimization and choosing pvp-flavors.

Yeah, from a PvP perspective, it will be interesting to see if the underdog trees become more viable.

Actually, that brings up a good question. Can you change your utility abilities after a warzone has started?

That would allow characters to choose an AoE damage reduction utility when they see the other team has lots of AoE favoring advanced classes / disciplines.

While that specific thing will be gone, the way I read the blog is that it will become easier to pull in skills from other trees / disciplines. It might bring a Dearth of Hybrids.

To me this seems like BioWare has finally given up on trying to balance the trees to prevent deeper hybrids, and instead they have chosen to just make any type of creative hybrid impossible beyond what they directly designed. For example, the Assassin/Shadow hybrid tank build that takes 30% AoE dmg reduction from the center tree - I severely doubt that BioWare will allow their new tank "Discipline" to take a skill that would be so unbalanced for specific fights.

"One of the most important goals for Disciplines was to make sure that the player had real choices that actually mattered as they advanced throughout the game."

How do the existing Skill trees not provide "real choices that actually matter"? The gist I get is that the Skill trees are going to be dumbed down so that in the new "Disciplines" there will be very little variation off the beaten path that BioWare intends us to take with our characters.

"With Disciplines, we can focus on creating strong and fun play styles from level 10 on, without having to worry about how people are spending 50 skill points and whether some people are making bad decisions or if others are finding crazy untested combinations that vastly exceed what we want to happen."

TL;DR: BioWare only wants you to make the choices they intended you to make.

To me this seems like BioWare has finally given up on trying to balance the trees to prevent deeper hybrids, and instead they have chosen to just make any type of creative hybrid impossible beyond what they directly designed. For example, the Assassin/Shadow hybrid tank build that takes 30% AoE dmg reduction from the center tree - I severely doubt that BioWare will allow their new tank "Discipline" to take a skill that would be so unbalanced for specific fights.

"One of the most important goals for Disciplines was to make sure that the player had real choices that actually mattered as they advanced throughout the game."

How do the existing Skill trees not provide "real choices that actually matter"? The gist I get is that the Skill trees are going to be dumbed down so that in the new "Disciplines" there will be very little variation off the beaten path that BioWare intends us to take with our characters.

"With Disciplines, we can focus on creating strong and fun play styles from level 10 on, without having to worry about how people are spending 50 skill points and whether some people are making bad decisions or if others are finding crazy untested combinations that vastly exceed what we want to happen."

TL;DR: BioWare only wants you to make the choices they intended you to make.

Well.. it'll all depends on what are the actual Utility skills.. If they are interresting and varied or just plain and bad.

*sigh*

the simplification of the talent trees was one of the main reasons that I left World of Warcraft. When the average Call of Duty game has more character customization options than your supposed RPG, there is an issue. God it sucks that this game is being made stupider.

one can hope. but so far.. I don't know. I tend to solo a lot as healer/ dps or tank/dps hybrid and while yes they are correct, for optimized builds, there isn't much choice - with new system, there will still be optimized builds. but solo playing around flexibility... well... I'll have to see. but I just don't think I'll be able to do something like this anymore :(http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#201GorbdRrorMZcsrrzo.3

and yes, first thing I thought when I saw it - damn it I hated that change in WoW, please tell me you are not following in their stead :/

Edited by Jeweledleah

one can hope. but so far.. I don't know. I tend to solo a lot as healer/ dps or tank/dps hybrid and while yes they are correct, for optimized builds, there isn't much choice - with new system, there will still be optimized builds. but solo playing around flexibility... well... I'll have to see. but I just don't think I'll be able to do something like this anymore :(http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#201GorbdRrorMZcsrrzo.3

and yes, first thing I thought when I saw it - damn it I hated that change in WoW, please tell me you are not following in their stead :/

They would have to follow what WoW did. Not just because everything they've done with classes / skills is almost an exact replica of WoW (proof), but because as you keep adding levels it becomes exponentially harder to design a one point per level skill tree correctly.

*sigh*

the simplification of the talent trees was one of the main reasons that I left World of Warcraft. When the average Call of Duty game has more character customization options than your supposed RPG, there is an issue. God it sucks that this game is being made stupider.

Oh right, as if 99% of the players aren't running around with the same skillset for their role... face it, there's only so many ways you can set up your role for maximum efficiency...

Oh right, as if 99% of the players aren't running around with the same skillset for their role... face it, there's only so many ways you can set up your role for maximum efficiency...

I'm don't really do PvE, but I assume that is indeed the case for PvE. I'd say there are more viable set-ups for PvP though - for some classes, at least.