Shadow of Revan Announcement Trailer

TaitWatson

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

After looking at everything new today, I have one question.

Will subscribers automatically get access to the Expansion? (Much like how Hutt Cartel is)

Please forgive my ignorance with this question. I came into swtor after Rise of the Hutt Cartel was free. So I am guessing by the pre-order bonuses that SOR is not free for subs.

Does it eventually become free? or how does this work?

I was a sub when Hutt Cartel came out, and you had to purchase it at the time. Same will go for this new expansion, if I read the description correctly.

We don't know this IS Revan. All we truly know is there is a person behind a mask that claims to be Revan. Maybe is, maybe not. More than one person would love to have power over the Revanites for their personal cause.

Interesting observation! To answer the person you replied to, Revan was always a Dark Jedi: aggressive, fiercely independent, perhaps a bit self-righteous. It makes sense in the overall story arch that he is still Dark. I just hope we can put his twerp in the dirt forever this time! ;)

OK, I can't wait for this expansion! While I am happy for the new planets, new missions, new stories, etc., I am not thrilled about the new level. One of the things I like about being L55 is not having to level up anymore! Now I have to Level up six characters I spent most of 2013 getting to L55!

Also, does anybody know if there are going to be gear upgrades that accompany the new levels? That's something else I am not to keen on. I'm still trying to collect some of the current L55 gear! That being said, everything else about this expansion sounds wonderful! :)

I like all the news. Gonna fill my character slots with lvl 55s ;p bu one thing is keeping me intrested mostly, new operations! what are they, how many there will be and such. I hope to see some new stuff (i mean new new, not just new bosses in new location) like crossfaction gf, or 20/24 ppl mode, or maybe 12, dunno. some new different tactics like 3 tanks for nearly whole op. Damn those things would be nice.

Yeah, that worries me a bit as well. Like someone is rushing them to finish the story.

I think this may deserve a thread of it's own. Think about it, why would you give someone a x12 Xp boost that pretty much levels you after finishing 1 class story quest if you didn't want everyone to enjoy the final expansion to the fullest! The more I think about the more I have to agree and it makes perfect logical sense.

Of course I could just be that feral Bantha that is jumping at mirage water pools. :D lol.

Edited by Neltronluur

AW COME ON BIOWARE!!!

Well, in truth I guess I shouldn't complain. We knew Reevan wasn't dead, awaited his return, and there he is... and I am happy about it.

SPOILERS FOR THOSE WHO HAVEN'T PLAYED THE FLASHPOINTS OR THE CHARACTERS PERSONNAL STORIES (especially Jedi Knight)

What really disappoints me though, is the fact that once again, we are here just to face him. I know we free him with the republic, but I mostly play empire so... ^^'

I thought it was too bad that you had to stop him in the foundry, without any choice in the matter. I know that whatever we do, we have to be loyal to our faction but there is a difference between loyal to a faction... and loyal to its leader/ideals. Or even just between loyal and stupid-loyal. We can defend our own vision of our faction throughout the game, after all. So if I want to sacrifice innocents to save the galaxy or even the empire, from a cuckoo emperor, please let me at least try... there are factions even within the empire that think Vitiate is a liability. I know Vitiate has to live on to fight another day but letting us try to take him out does not mean we would succeed... but al least let us try, just for the symbolic gesture of letting us make a choice.

In this new expansion, it seems we are off to stop Revan again. Well, I haven't played SoR yet so I can't really judge. I am mostly expressing worries here. ^^

I really hope they let us at least the illusion of a choice, even if it doesn't lead to much... to try and help the guy!

Revan is a character that lots of fans love... so don't just go World of Warcraft style by just putting marketable characters out there just for the show with in the end, no other choice for us than to kill them off. That would be so disappointing in a game revolving around moral choices for the characters. :(

I know the guy wants to destroy every faction, but just letting us make the symbolic gesture of supporting him with him still failing in the end would be nice.

Again, haven't played SoR so maybe they'll give us something that looks like such a choice but if not... well, there's not much I could do to change it but it would still be a bit of a let down in my opinion.

Oh... and maybe they are giving jam to pigs, and I just don't know how to appreciate what is given to me. :mon_tongue:

Okay, having gone through this thread, I now this question has been asked already, but I'll ask it again, just with a different wording.

Do subscribers, who already shell out the cost of this expansion on a regular basis, really have to pay extra for this expansion? I could have sworn you guys learned your lesson after the Hutt Cartel expansion when you made it free, but I guess not.

I've been a subscriber since the game originally went live, heck, I even pre-ordered and took part in a beta weekend, and I gotta tell ya, I'm not feeling much appreciation in return. All I get for having pre-ordered originally is a unique yellow-black crystal that is only useful for a few levels, then need to replace, and if I want that color again, I have to wait till at least level 45 and spend a big chunk of credits to buy another one. Really not that great when there are crystals you can get from the Cartel Market, and from the GTN when someone's selling, that you can use at level 10 and they're still good even up to level 55.

The pre-order bonuses for this are nice and all, but in the grand scheme, they're actually fairly insignificant and average. A statue of Revan to put in the strongholds? Okay, what else you got? Rise of the Hutt Cartel for free? Sorry, already got that. What else? 12x experience bonus on class missions up to level 55, effective from the time of pre-order to Dec 1st? As nice as that sounds, most of my characters are already level 55 and/or done with their class quests. Those that aren't are already over-leveled as is for the missions they're on, so what good is making that level gap even bigger gonna do?

As Watto said in Episode I, I need something more real. What else you got?

I'm hoping that on Yavin IV there will be a subplot, or even maybe a major story arc, involving the spirit of Naga Sadow and maybe even Exar Kun.

After watching the timeline video "Peace for the Republic?", I'd love to see Sadow becoming another problem for both the Republic and Sith.

I'd also be interested to freely explore Sadow and Kun's temples.

Edited by Vitas

like every mmo "expansions" are not free even to subscribers.

i am subscriber and have been since day one. i preordered last one, and have this one. its the norm and i dont expect expansions to be free because im a subscriber, patches yeah sure all that is included but proper expansions which normally include far more content introduced, level caps etc you have to pay for.

get over it its not a new thing.

on subject of the actual expansion, sounds great, but wondering what ground / space pvp content will be included, and interested how they going to overal crafting system.

Do subscribers, who already shell out the cost of this expansion on a regular basis, really have to pay extra for this expansion?
Think it through. Keyword: Business. Factor: Development is expensive.

Related: Do you prefer to be paid for the work you do?

As excited as i am about the 12x bonus, I have a bad feeling all the boost will do is leave me overleveled for every planet after the first one, at which point all missions will go gray and give me no xp, rendering 12x useless. Or am i missing something? Or perhaps skipping all of the side missions, heroics, and also FPs and PvP slow it down enough to stay within a planet's level? Which may defeat the purpose of leveling quickly??

I'm gonna pre-order regardless...just sayin :p

As excited as i am about the 12x bonus, I have a bad feeling all the boost will do is leave me overleveled for every planet after the first one, at which point all missions will go gray and give me no xp, rendering 12x useless. Or am i missing something? Or perhaps skipping all of the side missions, heroics, and also FPs and PvP slow it down enough to stay within a planet's level? Which may defeat the purpose of leveling quickly??

I'm gonna pre-order regardless...just sayin :p

Basically, just do class stories and you might outpace that, but do them even if gray. This is more of letting you just see the story.

I have to say; I kind of wish I had done more group PvE, which really isn't my thing, just to have seen some of the stories that are leading up to this expansion. Read a brief rundown of storylines on massively (lots of spoilers) that have tied characters and events to Revan in the background and from that, I can say Bioware has done an amazing job with lots of moving pieces on this story. Some parts on pub side, carried over on sith side and bounce back and forth, and you'd never know it if you weren't really paying attention.

I'll see how fast this 12x story XP gets me through classes I want to get to 55 first, but somewhere on the list, I have to say playing through Jedi Knight and Sith Warrior again might be worth the ride.

@mattycutts

You don't understand me; i don't have a probem with buying expansion, well mayby with it's price, subs should get it for half a price, just like with the Hutts, but the essence of my post is: why shoud anybody, not just me, pay for something, which will be free in few months ? Is that fair to the people paying for it ?

We don't know this IS Revan. All we truly know is there is a person behind a mask

... with his voice...

that claims to be Revan. Maybe is, maybe not.

Added one important part. There is little doubt that this is Revan. Now is he really himself, that is less sure with a wounded Emperor that we know willing to consume the galaxy.

I'm confused, why is everyone wanting to get rid of Revan now? He was trying to save the republic in the foundry.

While planning the genocide of 98% of the imperial population, innocent citizens included. Not that much a cool guy. He's always been in a grey area...

Edited by demotivator

Basically, just do class stories and you might outpace that, but do them even if gray. This is more of letting you just see the story.....

Oh i will have to do grays just to progress anyway. hopefully I'll only outpace the leveling on a given planet and then start leveling again on the next rock. Then it wont be soooo bad. Probably just have to keep the FPs and PVP to a minimum.

I'm a bit curious if we'll actually see Revan use the Thought Bomb, since he discovered it during the Jedi Civil War, who recorded the secrets of its creation within his Sith holocron.

Which remained hidden in a forgotten temple (Temple of the Ancients) on the planet Lehon (or Rakata Prime) until it was discovered in 1000 BBY by Darth Bane.

If Revan uses the Thought Bomb, Satele Shan, Darth Marr and Lana Beniko wouldn't stand a chance unfortunately, since it affects force users.

Edited by RaithHarth

Well, i'm a sub, so why the heck i need to pay for another expansion? After all, it suppose to be free for all in December right ?

No, balance changes are, level cap and new planets aren't.

Basically(just like any other MMO), the expansion has content that won't be released to people who don't own it.

Now you have the option of waiting a year or so for the expansion to become free to subscribers, but until that point you'd have a level cap of 55 and be unable to participate in most new content.

But in the end, it will be free, right ? Since my best char is 40 lv, and i play from time to time, i don't feel so strong urge to pay for something, that they will give for free, just becasue they want more players.... I was fooled once with the Hutts, there won't be a second time.

But in the end, it will be free, right ? Since my best char is 40 lv, and i play from time to time, i don't feel so strong urge to pay for something, that they will give for free, just becasue they want more players.... I was fooled once with the Hutts, there won't be a second time.

Only you can determine whether it's worth it to you to buy it now or wait until it's free.

Are there going to be any improvements to companions?

At one point they were such a massive part of the game, some chapters revolve around then but since launch aside from adding a couple of generic companions they have all but been forgotten. So far they plan no role in pretty much all the newish content with nothing to add to any conversation or infact having an opinion about anything.

We don't quite know that. I'd say probably it'll be free to subs sooner or later, but I'm not a Bioware dev so I don't know their actual plans.

Of course, there's relatively little risk in waiting(all you lose is a giant statue afaik), especially if you don't yet have a 55(though there's no doubt you'd reach 55 much more quickly with the 12x xp for class missions). You've always got the option of buying it later if you really want to play a character you've reached 55 with or you think it won't be free for a longer time period than you're willing to wait.