The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

The Scam/Not a Scam debate storyline

LyraineAlei

New suggestion list, one new one added.

1) The ability to ignore a character name on the GTN, so the items sold by that character are not shown in searches.

2) The ability to place a red flag on sellers you do not like, green flag on ones you prefer, and a sort function to move red flags to the bottom of a search, green flags to the top. Only you would see the flags you apply.

3) Remove the ability for the system to display fractional currency in the "price per unit" field.

4) Have the formatting right justified instead of left justified.

5) Have the ignore list also apply to the GTN.

6) Add a price per unit option for posting items for sale.

7) Default the GTN to sorting by lowest price first, or lowest per unit price.

8) Larger text for the price display.

9) Add a toggle to remove the display of fractional currency in the "price per item" field.

10) Line up all prices on the decimal, and display .00 for non fractional amounts.

I support 2, 4, 6, 7, 8 and 9. I really like 2, 6 and 9.

I vote for the simplest options. I would go with 3, 4 and 7 for the first round, with 5 and 6 cool features that would be fun if they were simple, but not worth the effort if they take too much effort.

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't object to the sorting option, but I don't personally buy materials on the GTN. I'm primarily a CM armor buyer, and they don't stack. So having everything always auto-sorted by unit price could get tedious.

Not actually objecting, but it reads to me that more people are just seeing per-unit and not paying attention to the total price, or how many units (ex. They see Mat A for 500 credits a unit, buy a stack of 99, pay 49500).

Which would to more whining/complaining/"IT'S A SCAM" threads, and this goes on and on...

Actually, that is not what I mean. The price per unit option is for POSTING sales.

The idea is that right now you only post a single price for a stack. This causes the system to display fractional currency sometimes. It also makes it is a bit of a chore for sellers to determine what is a fair per unit price without doing calculations.

It would purely a QoL improvement, IMO, to allow us to post a per unit price, while not removing the ability to post a total price. So you would have two options...if you choose to put a price in the per unit price box, the UI would calculate the full price for you. Then you could post the item.

It is a convenience item for sellers, with the side benefit of cleaning up some of the fractional pricing displayed on the GTN.

So, to be clear....

Instead of the current setup, only offering a single "whole price" posting option, this suggestion would add a second setup that would include a "price per item" pricing option and calculate the buyout price for you.

It is the opposite of the fractional display of currency in the price per unit column, where the price per unit is calculated after the buyout price is posted.

Sorry for the poor pic quality, it was quick work.

Edited by LordArtemis

Actually, that is not what I mean. The price per unit option is for POSTING sales.

The idea is that right now you only post a single price for a stack. This causes the system to display fractional currency sometimes. It also makes it is a bit of a chore for sellers to determine what is a fair per unit price without doing calculations.

It would purely a QoL improvement, IMO, to allow us to post a per unit price, while not removing the ability to post a total price. So you would have two options...if you choose to put a price in the per unit price box, the UI would calculate the full price for you. Then you could post the item.

It is a convenience item for sellers, with the side benefit of cleaning up some of the fractional pricing displayed on the GTN.

So, to be clear....

Instead of the current setup, only offering a single "whole price" posting option, this suggestion would add a second setup that would include a "price per item" pricing option.

Sorry for the poor pic quality, it was quick work.

Ah, my bad interpretation.

I wouldn't mind having a per-unit price setting as an option. Would be easier on me when I'm selling than to look at current per-unit prices and then multiply by x items.

I vote for the simplest options. I would go with 3, 4 and 7 for the first round, with 5 and 6 cool features that would be fun if they were simple, but not worth the effort if they take too much effort.

Thanks for your input. Option 6 is quickly moving to one of my top favorite suggestions.

Nothing at all needs to be done, catering to the LOWEST common denominator is always bad.

The GTN has been the way it has been for YEARS. All the sudden people with...lower test scores...start crying about how they scammed themselves and now this company should waste their time coding protections for them cuz they cant read and write?

NO.

The existence of these threads is Shocking.

Nothing at all needs to be done, catering to the LOWEST common denominator is always bad.

The GTN has been the way it has been for YEARS. All the sudden people with...lower test scores...start crying about how they scammed themselves and now this company should waste their time coding protections for them cuz they cant read and write?

NO.

SWTOR already caters to the lowest common denominator. It's how they make money. A lot of terrible systems have existed for much longer than the GTN in SWTOR. Age doesn't make bad implementations less bad.

BioWare have "wasted their time coding" a lot of things because people wanted to make things easier for themselves. It's the same driving force for almost every single QoL improvement in this or any other game.

NO.

Catering to the highest denominator is also just as bad.

Test scores are a terrible way to know if someone is capable of learning or the like.

Things change all the time. Skill trees have been around for years, now we're getting an overhaul on them.

While I agree there is no scam, and people are primarily at fault for not paying attention, the topic has moved away from IT'S A SCAM to "Alright, if something were to change, then I think it should be x, y, or z".

NO.

. . . UNLESS there's a GTN feature patch that involves minimal changes (thus requiring minimal effort to implement) while posing a low amount of risk of causing more bugs in the game.

Luckily I've already thought up just such a feature patch.

Sighs...

The pop up is also a tool. It can be turned off.

Sort by Total Price is not buyer protection?

Sort by Unit Price is not buyer protection?

Filter Min/Max Price is not buyer protection?

Just the Popup is buyer protection?

Yes the tools are there . But some people have admitted that they think its the sellers that do this that are the problem not the buyers who don't pay attention so they won't admit the tools are fine as they are .

The sellers tricked them and made them push the buy button and that player need more "buyer protection" and bioware t o hold their hand so they don't have to take the time to double check research and verify their order .

Until i see someone thats been blaming others a lot and finally admit that it was entirely their fault that a mispurchase happened and had nothing at all to do with the seller or the gtn I'm just going to consider this a lost cause and hope that at some point what people including Eric are saying will sink in.

When purchasing items on the GTN, aside from the initial sorting and purchase we also have a secondary window pop-up as confirmation of sale. If you feel you are at risk of buying something off of the GTN at an intended value, take your time! Make sure to read over exactly what they are selling it for and then double check that number when you receive the pop-up. Also, we highly recommend using the sorting functions for both total and unit prices to make sure you are paying what you want.

-eric

Edited by _NovaBlast_

The pop up is also a tool. It can be turned off.

Sort by Total Price is not buyer protection?

Sort by Unit Price is not buyer protection?

Filter Min/Max Price is not buyer protection?

Just the Popup is buyer protection?

Just go read the description of my solution. The Purchase Confirmation popup becomes always-on for purchases 1M credits or more. That makes it a reliable form of buyer protection.

The GTN search tools are not the same thing as purchase protection, since they're an at-will feature that only protects the user if they personally elect to always use it.

Looking at this from a broad perspective, I think removing the decimal places from the Credits-Per-Unit column in the GTN search results is just as important a change as my solution, to absolutely minimize the potential for costly buyer error to keep occurring. This is because the visual confusion of looking at a list of items with nearly visually identical prices is often the trigger for the purchasing mistake.

Just go read the description of my solution. The Purchase Confirmation popup becomes always-on for purchases 1M credits or more. That makes it a reliable form of buyer protection.

The GTN search tools are not the same thing as purchase protection, since they're an at-will feature that only protects the user if they personally elect to always use it.

Looking at this from a broad perspective, I think removing the decimal places from the Credits-Per-Unit column in the GTN search results is just as important a change as my solution, to absolutely minimize the potential for costly buyer error to keep occurring. This is because the visual confusion of looking at a list of items with nearly visually identical prices is often the trigger for the purchasing mistake.

Please stop hawking your terrible suggestions. I can honestly say I do NOT want jumbo text, psychedelic color coding, or un-toggle-able pop-ups forced on me just because some people can't use their freakin' eyes and brain properly. Those would not be QoL improvements, in fact they'd be the exact opposite.

TL; DR - No. Stop. Shush.

Edited by MagikFingerz

Again, it doesn't matter who the victim is here. There is plenty of blame, as far as who will not admit fault on BOTH sides.

- Buyers that will not take responsibility for their mistake.

- Sellers that will not own up to the fact that they know what they are doing, that it is dishonorable, and that they want to keep doing so.

THAT is what bugs me about the back and forth.

The ONLY discussion we should be having, in my view, is the merits or pitfalls of each suggestion made.

Let us talk about the suggested changes, and see if we can agree on some that will benefit all of us.

Its time to drop the tennis match.

Here is the display of the suggestions again, I added a new one.

1) The ability to ignore a character name on the GTN, so the items sold by that character are not shown in searches.

2) The ability to place a red flag on sellers you do not like, green flag on ones you prefer, and a sort function to move red flags to the bottom of a search, green flags to the top. Only you would see the flags you apply.

3) Remove the ability for the system to display fractional currency in the "price per unit" field.

4) Have the formatting right justified instead of left justified.

5) Have the ignore list also apply to the GTN.

6) Add a price per unit option for posting items for sale.

7) Default the GTN to sorting by lowest price first, or lowest per unit price.

8) Larger text for the price display.

9) Add a toggle to display or hide fractional currency in the "price per item" column.

I support 2, 3, 4, 6, 8 and 9. I really like 6 and 9.

Let me know if I missed any. Do not bother to suggest any "ban" or "punishment" suggestions, other than the flag suggestion, because that is just ridiculous IMO.

Here's a few I posted:

Regarding the "7) Default the GTN to sorting by lowest price first, or lowest per unit price." : make it so the system not only remembers the last sorting option chosen, but also make it so the sorting is reshuffled for each search, so we don't need to click again on the sorting to fix it.

Allow players to set a max price per unit: for mats the price per stack is pretty much useless when sorting them.

Eventually tweak the confirmation window displaying the price per unit for the mats and the total price.

Now about decimals:

Basically, with right justify set as the default alignment you would have 3 scenarios for price per unit:

With decimal uniformity and fractional currency disabled:

I can give my support to having these options available for the GTN.

This version is easier to read, and less confusing. At least for me.

Then for GTN improvements, top of my head:

• Fix the search to automatically ignore 1 or 2 letters strings while parsing names
  • Really expand the name search input box as most items names don't fit in it.
  • Have the system remember last posted price for any items, be it client side.
  • Option for 7 days posting
  • One button re-post from mailbox to GTN
  • Option to hide specific columns, specifically, seller names, duration
  • Option to sort results only displaying the cheapest entry for each item (like select distinct or sort -u based on item name)
  • Allow sticky search for armours: ie search for pants in any categories without needing to go through say heavy then adptative, same for gear stats.
  • Add a reset option next to each categories entries so we can only reset one of them
  • Add more filters for companions gifts, crafting missions, crafting schematics, etc...
  • Improve the "usable by" filter so it actually does what it's supposed to.
  • Allow players to browse the GTN remotely
  • Let player bookmark specific items for faster searching
  • Option to automatically set a selling price matching the cheapest current entry
  • Integrate a preview window that doesn't overlap the UI frames when GTN and inventory are open

Edited by Deewe

I read it the first seven time you posted it.

-Five second mandatory pop up: No. I hate shopping in IRL, and in-game, and something like that would irritate me into never using the GTN again.

-color coding: Because no one is color blind. And we don't need more colors More personal taste than anything else I'm protesting there. Actually, not all societies use the same color code methods, so while red=danger or invalid and green=good is pretty commonplace, not everyone agrees that "yellow = caution" and the like.

-setting the pop up to certain settings: I am certain that in your thread, I supported that part. But some people would still move the slider all the way to max in order to never see the pop up, and then come back to complain about losing credits in mass quantities.

Not completely foolproof. Foolproof is impossible in real life, and in games. Nice attempt at foolproof, but "stupid is as stupid does". I'm not being a sociopath in saying that, I am just saying there is no foolproof way.

Maybe BW could add yet another tutorial on the GTN and how it works, what the filters are, how to sort. But people tend to turn off tutorials anyway.

Please stop hawking your terrible suggestions. I can honestly say I do NOT want jumbo text, psychedelic color coding, or un-toggle-able pop-ups forced on me just because some people can't use their freakin' eyes and brain properly. Those would not be QoL improvements, in fact they'd be the exact opposite.

TL; DR - No. Stop. Shush.

Your credibility in this thread is very tenuous, because you won't cease your derision of those who have made purchasing errors on the GTN.

The fact that you call my suggestion terrible, when it's the best solution on the table, shows that you've lost objectivity. The larger text and the color-coded text aren't completely essential, though I'd say the color-coding (in only the Purchase Confirmation) is actually important to ensure the buyer doesn't just mindlessly click the "OK" button in the Purchase Confirmation without looking at the price, FOR the largest purchases of 1M credits or more and especially for purchases for 5M credits or more.

What's the PRIMARY THING the Community Manager himself mentioned when openly advising GTN buyers on how to avoid making purchasing errors? Here it is:

. . . . . . "When purchasing items on the GTN, aside from the initial sorting and purchase we also have a secondary window pop-up as confirmation of sale. If you feel you are at risk of buying something off of the GTN at an intended value, take your time! Make sure to read over exactly what they are selling it for and then double check that number when you receive the pop-up."

It's the purchase confirmation window! He's telling GTN buyers that sorting can help, but that they should rely on the Purchase Confirmation popup for buyer protection! That's clearly the key to ensuring buyer protection, and the primary advice he's given is for the user to double-check the price displayed in that confirmation window. So all that's necessary is to enhance it in a way that increases the visibility of the Purchase-Confirmation's price to the buyer, and protects the buyer in the situations that are known circumstances where the buying errors are occurring.

I mean, just think about it... I posted this idea in a separate thread BEFORE Eric Musco posted his excellent message on this topic. I had the correct solution the entire time, and his post LITERALLY identifies the exact same primary buyer protection mechanism that my solution suggests to tune in the favor of buyer protection.

Your credibility in this thread is very tenuous, because you won't cease your derision of those who have made purchasing errors on the GTN.

The fact that you call my suggestion terrible, when it's the best solution on the table, shows that you've lost objectivity.

I don't believe your suggestion is the best one on the table, IMO. I think it is a suggestion.

EDIT: And from my interpretation, Eric said that we have all of our tools to use, with the pop up as an additional one.

Edited by LyraineAlei

I don't believe your suggestion is the best one on the table, IMO. I think it is a suggestion.

EDIT: And from my interpretation, Eric said that we have all of our tools to use, with the pop up as an additional one.

I will second this assessment Anonnn is determined to blame this one everything but the buyers .

Its also for that reason If anyone credibility is in question IMO its Anonnn for blaming others for issues that are completely the buyers fault.

The fact of the matter is This issue is completely on the buyers shoulders and 100% the buyers fault if a mispurchase is made.

really there there is nothing "wrong" with gtn. The reason i say that is in reality it doesn't matter what sellers are selling for or what format gtn is in if you follow Eric COMPLETE advice you wont lose credits by making mispurchases.. Instead of imo misinterpreting his whole article as some have done.

Hey folks,

When purchasing items on the GTN, aside from the initial sorting and purchase we also have a secondary window pop-up as confirmation of sale. If you feel you are at risk of buying something off of the GTN at an intended value, take your time! Make sure to read over exactly what they are selling it for and then double check that number when you receive the pop-up. Also, we highly recommend using the sorting functions for both total and unit prices to make sure you are paying what you want.

-eric

Edited by _NovaBlast_

The fact that you call my suggestion terrible, when it's the best solution on the table, shows that you've lost objectivity. The larger text and the color-coded text aren't completely essential, though I'd say the color-coding (in only the Purchase Confirmation) is actually important to ensure the buyer doesn't just mindlessly click the "OK" button in the Purchase Confirmation without looking at the price, FOR the largest purchases of 1M credits or more and especially for purchases for 5M credits or more.

What's the PRIMARY THING the Community Manager himself mentioned when openly advising GTN buyers on how to avoid making purchasing errors? Here it is:

. . . . . . "When purchasing items on the GTN, aside from the initial sorting and purchase we also have a secondary window pop-up as confirmation of sale. If you feel you are at risk of buying something off of the GTN at an intended value, take your time! Make sure to read over exactly what they are selling it for and then double check that number when you receive the pop-up."

It's the purchase confirmation window! He's telling GTN buyers that sorting can help, but that they should rely on the Purchase Confirmation popup for buyer protection! That's clearly the key to ensuring buyer protection, and the primary advice he's given is for the user to double-check the price displayed in that confirmation window. So all that's necessary is to enhance it in a way that increases the visibility of the Purchase-Confirmation's price to the buyer, and protects the buyer in the situations that are known circumstances where the buying errors are occurring.

I mean, just think about it... I posted this idea in a separate thread BEFORE Eric Musco posted his excellent message on this topic. I had the correct solution the entire time, and his post LITERALLY identifies the exact same primary buyer protection mechanism that my solution suggests to tune in the favor of buyer protection.

The purchase confirmation has been in game since the beginning. In case you don't know where to find it:

(Preferences-User Interface-General-Display Item Purchase Warning)

The purchase confirmation has been in game since the beginning. In case you don't know where to find it:

(Preferences-User Interface-General-Display Item Purchase Warning)

Hey thanks, I'm immediately going to uncheck that box, the confirmations windows annoys me more than anything else!

NO.

I agree, that's why I think leaving it like it is is a bad idea.

-Five second mandatory pop up: No. I hate shopping in IRL, and in-game, and something like that would irritate me into never using the GTN again.

-color coding: Because no one is color blind. And we don't need more colors ...

The way I understand the problem, these are the main ways GTN buyers are making mistaken purchases:

• switching off the Purchase Confirmation in preferences
  • habitually speed-clicking the Purchase Confirmation "OK" button without genuinely double-checking the price
  • mistaking the Purchase Confirmation for a routine window with a low price (general inattention)

So that's the task. Reduce as much as possible the mistaken purchases from these 3 avenues.

The first one is the easy part. Don't allow the Purchase Confirmation to be completely shut off for prices that are 1M credits or more. Any time the purchase is 1M credits or more, the Purchase Confirmation will ALWAYS pop up.

The second one is also fairly simple. Don't let people click quickly through the Purchase Confirmation, because for it to be effective the buyer has to be genuinely checking that price. Thus, only enable the "OK" button after 5 seconds so the buyer is guaranteed to be prompted to glance at that price.

The third one is slightly more open-ended. It's rooted in the fact that a frequent buyer clicks through the Purchase Confirmation a large number of times on a regular basis. Basically, the window starts to look the same for all purchases, and the buyer starts to click through not necessarily in a hurry, but with a zoned-out focus and without giving full attention to the price to double-check it before finalizing the purchase. Thus, something about that Purchase Confirmation has to change appearance dramatically when the price is 1M credits or more, just to get their actual attention. My idea is to put a basic color-coding on the display of the price in the Purchase Confirmation. But there are certainly other possibilities, for example a thick colored bar across the top of the Purchase Confirmation window.

I will second this assessment Anonnn is determined to blame this one everything but the buyers .

Its also for that reason If anyone credibility is in question IMO its Anonnn for blaming others for issues that are completely the buyers fault.

Blame and fault are entirely outside of the context of this issue. It's as if you haven't even been reading anything I posted.

Buyers have been making mistaken purchases on the GTN and losing saddening amounts of credits. Buyers need a higher level of buyer protection.

The way I understand the problem, these are the main ways GTN buyers are making mistaken purchases:

• habitually speed-clicking the Purchase Confirmation "OK" button without genuinely double-checking the price
  • mistaking the Purchase Confirmation for a routine window with a low price (general inattention)

So that's the task. Reduce as much as possible the mistaken purchases from these 3 avenues.

The first one is the easy part. Don't allow the Purchase Confirmation to be completely shut off for prices that are 1M credits or more. Any time the purchase is 1M credits or more, the Purchase Confirmation will ALWAYS pop up.

The second one is also fairly simple. Don't let people click quickly through the Purchase Confirmation, because for it to be effective the buyer has to be genuinely checking that price. Thus, only enable the "OK" button after 5 seconds so the buyer is guaranteed to be prompted to glance at that price.

The third one is slightly more open-ended. It's rooted in the fact that a frequent buyer clicks through the Purchase Confirmation a large number of times on a regular basis. Basically, the window starts to look the same for all purchases, and the buyer starts to click through not necessarily in a hurry, but with a zoned-out focus and without giving full attention to the price to double-check it before finalizing the purchase. Thus, something about that Purchase Confirmation has to change appearance dramatically when the price is 1M credits or more, just to get their actual attention. My idea is to put a basic color-coding on the display of the price in the Purchase Confirmation. But there are certainly other possibilities, for example a thick colored bar across the top of the Purchase Confirmation window.

The five-second mandatory pop up delay before hitting confirm will not guarantee that the buyer will actually look at the price again. And I know I would avoid GTN shopping altogether if that were to take effect. And I leave I know I won't be the only one.

Instead of such a delay, maybe having the total price in the pop up in larger font size would be more convenient. Something like:

You are about the purchase Mandalorian Iron for

150,000 credits.

Do you wish to continue?

[Confirm] [Cancel]

Instead on your delay suggestion may work better.

NO.

Your entitled to your opinion, but your going a bit overboard with the inflated outrage.

I think we will go ahead and continue judging the suggestions on their merits and ignore your judgements and advice however.

Thanks for participating. Back to the discussion in progress.

On a side note, neither buyers NOR SELLERS are wililng to take responsibility for their actions, so arguing the point back and forth couldn't possibly be less contructive, unless of course your keyboard keys flew off as a result.

Or melted.

At any rate, I think people need to avoid the temptation to engage in hyperbole and stick to discussing the suggestions instead.

Thanks to everyone that is remaining faithfully on that point.

Edited by LordArtemis

The five-second mandatory pop up delay before hitting confirm will not guarantee that the buyer will actually look at the price again. And I know I would avoid GTN shopping altogether if that were to take effect.

It's not a question of what's convenient for perfect shoppers, it's a question of what's going to boost buyer protection levels for all buyers.

Have you tried counting out 5 seconds and imagining waiting to finalize your purchase? You don't end up completely steamed, but you get bored enough that you realize you might as well double-check the price that's displayed right in front of you. I think this alone is the most effective portion of my suggestion.

Blame and fault are entirely outside of the context of this issue. It's as if you haven't even been reading anything I posted.

Buyers have been making mistaken purchases on the GTN and losing saddening amounts of credits. Buyers need a higher level of buyer protection.

No i disagree its not what it means . what it means is they need to take Eric's and everyone that agrees with him advice and stop the careless behavior that you yourself have mentioned.

It's not a question of what's convenient for perfect shoppers, it's a question of what's going to boost buyer protection levels for all buyers..

Its not about protecting people from themselves either if you take care and attention there is absolutely no way to get scammed on gtn ..

Edited by _NovaBlast_