The Scam/Not a Scam debate storyline

LyraineAlei

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There is no notable relevance of fractional currency in this game.

Part of the reason why the game shouldn't employ it(or reverse justification standards).

This was, however, an address of the notion that there is a world standardized system for formatting numerical values, which there isn't. Furthermore, the way in which we communicate prices for commodities or financial securities isn't super straightforward.

Its strange to expect people world-wide to instantly understand whatever system you(as an individual) communicate with.

Hey folks,

There has been a lot of chatter this weekend in General Discussion around how players are posting on the GTN, specifically around use of decimals/commas, and whether we feel it is an exploit or not. For starters, we definitely don't want to see any players scammed out of their hard earned credits and we will work to stop those situations wherever possible. Unfortunately, this is not one of those scenarios.

What someone is doing in this scenario is posting something at a higher value than the market would typically have that item listed for. For us, it would be impossible to tell if a user was posting an item at a higher value to try to "scam" another user, or simply because that is what they want to sell it for.

When purchasing items on the GTN, aside from the initial sorting and purchase we also have a secondary window pop-up as confirmation of sale. If you feel you are at risk of buying something off of the GTN at an intended value, take your time! Make sure to read over exactly what they are selling it for and then double check that number when you receive the pop-up. Also, we highly recommend using the sorting functions for both total and unit prices to make sure you are paying what you want.

With that in mind, I am going to pass these issues back to the dev team and see if there is anything we can work towards in the future for the GTN to help alleviate these issues. Thanks everyone!

-eric

There is no scam BW has spoken .This whole subject rest completely on the buyer in this case.

Can we please stop making these threads now ?

Thanks you eric ... Please don't devote time that you could be using for content on this .

This is in no way a qol improvement ..this is just people blaming others for not paying attention and not using the the tools correctly that are available , not doing their due diligence research and not double checking what they are buying

There are no "good " or "bad" sellers on GTN there is only products and prices

GTN already has the tools to find the cheapest product that you're looking for which is all that matters so no other QOL tool are necessary.

People just need t o use the tools that are there and pay attention

YOU choose when and what for to press the "buy" button.

If you choose when to pres the buy button and for what product then you cant be scammed on gtn.

Edited by _NovaBlast_

Yup! The UI I have no control over - it is what it is. Sloppy playing and not paying attention to the target is totally on the player. Also...a mistake that flags me for PvP doesn't end up costing me millions of credits...just a few minutes.
In other words "It's OK when I do something crappy to someone, but its not OK when it happens to me." Typical self interested hypocrite.

That interpretation literally has no relevance at all to the quote to which you replied.

Edited by idnewton

There is no scam BW has spoken .This whole subject rest completely on the buyer in this case.

Can we please stop making these threads now ?

You've grossly misinterpreted what Eric posted, and blindly ignored the most significant portions!

When he said "this is not one of those scenarios" he was saying this isn't a scenario where it's possible for them to stop a situation where someone's being "scammed" out of credits. This is obvious if you read carefully to THE VERY NEXT SENTENCE where he says:

"What someone is doing in this scenario is posting something at a higher value than the market would typically have that item listed for. For us, it would be impossible to tell if a user was posting an item at a higher value to try to "scam" another user, or simply because that is what they want to sell it for. "

It's obvious isn't it? They're saying they can't confidently determine whether there's a scam or not. But they recognize that buyers need more protection on the GTN, and wraps up his message with:

"I am going to pass these issues back to the dev team and see if there is anything we can work towards in the future for the GTN to help alleviate these issues."

He's flat out prescribing a search for a fix for this issue and you're pretending he's shutting down the thread. When in reality, he's solidly justified the entire discussion in favor of the GTN buyers. . yay!

You've grossly misinterpreted what Eric posted, and blindly ignored the most significant portions!

When he said "this is not one of those scenarios" he was saying this isn't a scenario where it's possible for them to stop a situation where someone's being "scammed" out of credits. This is obvious if you read carefully to THE VERY NEXT SENTENCE where he says:

"What someone is doing in this scenario is posting something at a higher value than the market would typically have that item listed for. For us, it would be impossible to tell if a user was posting an item at a higher value to try to "scam" another user, or simply because that is what they want to sell it for. "

It's obvious isn't it? They're saying they can't confidently determine whether there's a scam or not. But they recognize that buyers need more protection on the GTN, and wraps up his message with:

"I am going to pass these issues back to the dev team and see if there is anything we can work towards in the future for the GTN to help alleviate these issues."

He's flat out prescribing a search for a fix for this issue and you're pretending he's shutting down the thread. When in reality, he's solidly justified the entire discussion in favor of the GTN buyers. . yay!

You have a point, but you also fall victim to the exact same thing you accuse him of.

You comment on his first sentence but ignore the second sentence, which gets more at the heart of the matter than anything else. Whether it's a scam or not, and regardless of how Bioware treats it, the buyer is still at fault. Hopefully if/when you hear the saying "Caveat emptor" you will understand it better after reading this thread :p

We will have to disagree on the interpretation .

What isn't up for debate is that THIS IS TOTALLY UTTERLY COMPLETELY and every other like word in existence the buyers own fault ..they have NO ONE to blame but themselves.

As many other including Eric have said ....

When purchasing items on the GTN, aside from the initial sorting and purchase we also have a secondary window pop-up as confirmation of sale. If you feel you are at risk of buying something off of the GTN at an intended value, take your time! Make sure to read over exactly what they are selling it for and then double check that number when you receive the pop-up. Also, we highly recommend using the sorting functions for both total and unit prices to make sure you are paying what you want.

Seriously if you need Bioware to "protect you" on gtn ...well..... Ill just say that doesn't speak too well of you from a common sense standpoint as well as your attention to detail.

Edited by _NovaBlast_

With that in mind, I am going to pass these issues back to the dev team and see if there is anything we can work towards in the future for the GTN to help alleviate these issues. Thanks everyone!

While it's nice to see a dev response to this issue; it's still concerning to think that development time may still be wasted because some people can't pay attention and like to cry.

105+ pages, because someone wasn't bloody well paying basic, basic/minimal amounts of attention to what the bloody **** they were doing?

Really?

Really?

Oh my *********** God, I don't want to live on this planet anymore :(

The mantra of Western countries --guess which Western country/-ies-- since approximately the mid 1990s:

Blame.

Someone.

Else.

Where did it all go wrong? And why aren't we trying to fix it?

The yellow text has spoken.

IT IS NOT A SCAM

Hopefully this will be the last time we have to visit this asinine debate. Buyers need to take responsibility for their inability to correctly read numbers. If I am not mistaken, we are all taught how to read numbers at an early age so this isn't some laborious task. To those you who have fallen for this, PAY ATTENTION; or you can continue to line my pockets, just kidding. Seriously though, it only took one time and a large sum of credits for me to learn from my mistake. Every now in then it helps if you pull your head out of your donkey.

105+ pages, because someone wasn't bloody well paying basic, basic/minimal amounts of attention to what the bloody **** they were doing?

Really?

Really?

Oh my *********** God, I don't want to live on this planet anymore :(

The mantra of Western countries --guess which Western country/-ies-- since approximately the mid 1990s:

Blame.

Someone.

Else.

Where did it all go wrong? And why aren't we trying to fix it?

This *was* a small, six-page thread about the debate in general, and archiving it.

BW posted their own thread, and then merged all of the threads with this one, which is how my little 5-6 page thread grew 100 or more pages overnight.

Thanks you eric ... Please don't devote time that you could be using for content on this .

This is in no way a qol improvement ..this is just people blaming others for not paying attention and not using the the tools correctly that are available , not doing their due diligence research and not double checking what they are buying

There are no "good " or "bad" sellers on GTN there is only products and prices

GTN already has the tools to find the cheapest product that you're looking for which is all that matters so no other QOL tool are necessary.

People just need t o use the tools that are there and pay attention

YOU choose when and what for to press the "buy" button.

If you choose when to pres the buy button and for what product then you cant be scammed on gtn.

Essentially the same argument presented when folks were arguing that "price per item" was a waste of resources, protected buyers, no bad sellers.....so on and so forth.

it didn't fly then and it shouldnt fly now IMO. This is an old tired argument from folks that are running out of ways to fight against QoL improvements in my eyes.

Sorry to direct this at you Nova, but you guys really have to come up with some new arguments.

Edited by LordArtemis

Hopefully this will be the last time we have to visit this asinine debate.

Yea, I woudn't bet on that.

Buyers will find something else to complain about, and sellers will use the same old arguments against any improvements proposed.

The changes proposed will not protect buyers any more than the prior ones did.

The yellow text has spoken.

IT IS NOT A SCAM

OKAY then how do you explain Eric's statement that:

"For us, it would be impossible to tell if a user was posting an item at a higher value to try to "scam" another user, or simply because that is what they want to sell it for."

this topic only became so popular because all you people decided to say the same thing in many different ways..everyone knows the buyer is at fault for buying something over price without paying attention..why drag out this discussion to convince someone, who is already convince he/she was scam when everyone else knows better?.. Edited by Lt-Snake

Needs a bump...

So Bioware, are we going to get this fixed? Multiple suggestions on how to fix this have been posted...

You have unhappy customers...

... Did you miss the yellow post? Right up where it says "First BioWare Post".

And my original thread was an archive. I think we are all done arguing over scam/not a scam and the like.

All that's left now is interpretation of the yellow post.

Needs a bump...

So Bioware, are we going to get this fixed? Multiple suggestions on how to fix this have been posted...

You have unhappy customers...

There's nothing to fix since there's nothing broken. Does it need a change? Perhaps, but to say that something is broken when it isn't is not the way to go.

As has been stated many times here: buyers aren't being careful for reasons like they've "been playing all day and are tired". They have no problem blaming someone else for their mistake and demanding a "fix" but will gladly "scam" a seller who had also been playing all day and is tired and forgot a zero so their item sold for 80000 instead of the 800000 it should have been.

The hypocrisy on this topic is sadly amazing.

this topic only became so popular because all you people decided to say the same thing in many different ways..everyone knows the buyer is at fault for buying something over price without paying attention..why drag out this discussion to convince someone, who is already convince he/she was scam when everyone else knows better?..

:confused::confused::confused::confused: let my comment be the last comment ffs..

Edited by Lt-Snake