Quarterly Producer Letter for Q2 2024 ×

The Scam/Not a Scam debate storyline

LyraineAlei

Update to first post: Most of these threads now no longer exist, because they were merged with this one. Hit the "First BioWare Post" button to get the official word on the topic from Eric himself.

Here is the original post:

NOT BECAUSE A CERTAIN WICKED DARTH TRIED TO USE FORCE MAGIC ON ME.

*cough* I was forcibly hired for the role of story editor of this great drama known (to me at least) as the "Great Is it Scam or Not" debate.

The original thread:

Scammed on the GTN

The Sequel:

Refund from the GTN

The TV Spin Off that isn't quite as well connected:

Refer a friend ever going to be fixed?

So there is the story.

Too lazy to read all three threads?

To sum up, the word "Scam may or may not have been the right word. Your mileage may vary in what exactly is a scam on the GTN. This is SWTOR, not EVE. No refunds unless the seller is generous. Refer a Friend is hard to scam with."

"Darth Wicked thinks s/he has Force powers."

"I have way too much time on my hands."

"Choose your words carefully."

EDIT: November 08th 2014

LET THIS TOPIC DIE. PLEASE.

MORE LINKS. SAME THING.

GTN Pricing Scan

A Thread About Extending /ignore to the GTN

A Thread Asking For a Buyer Cancel Sale Option

A Thread Suggesting A Format Change on the GTN to align prices

Thread Asking for /ignore to be Expanded into the GTN Same creator for both thread with identical topics

Support Thread about how many credits people lost to the scam/not a scam

Yes, I am trying to collect all of these into one thread just to keep track of all these topics. If I missed any, please post the links.

Edit: November 09

The issue reversed for satire

Edited by LyraineAlei

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not a Force User, sorry.

Did I miss any threads that could be useful in defining what is/isn't a scam?

* Darth Wicked steps inside his Meditation Chamber, in order to better commune with the Dark Side. *

I sense nothing more of extreme relevance, Apprentice. You did well... For the time being at any rate. :rak_01:

Edit: Maybe I should start a thread categorizing MMO manners?

We're saving that one for next year. ;)

Edited by Darth_Wicked

* Darth Wicked steps inside his Meditation Chamber, in order to better commune with the Dark Side. *

I sense nothing more of extreme relevance, Apprentice. You did well... For the time being at any rate. :rak_01:

We're saving that one for next year. ;)

Alright. There is the whole drama for anyone trying to keep the thread hopping straight.

How can buying/selling in GTN be scamming? we are buying things what we can see in GTN, we are selling at a price what we believe is right for us. if someone is stupid enough not to check price and waste all of their credits into something then it is their fault, seller is not at fault here. It is pure idiocy of buyer that they lost all of their credits and seller doesn't have any obligation to give any credits back to buyer as seller did not get anything from buyer, seller got money from GTN after paying mandatory fee. This is ridiculous. Common sense seems like very uncommon among SWTOR players. Edited by BrintoSFJ

How can buying/selling in GTN be scamming? we are buying things what we can see in GTN, we are selling at a price what we believe is right for us. if someone is stupid enough not to check price and waste all of their credits into something then it is their fault, seller is not at fault here. It is pure idiocy of buyer that they lost all of their credits and seller doesn't have any obligation to give any credits back to buyer as seller did not get anything from buyer, seller got money from GTN after paying mandatory fee. This is ridiculous. Common sense seems like very uncommon among SWTOR players.

From what I remember, there are . and , confusion and other issues. Have fun reading all the debate, if you want more details.

Your time will not be refunded. You have now been warned.

First off, I recognized that song lyric without clicking the link...yet I'm only 25. Is that wrong?

Second: Are there seriously still people who don't know you can sort GTN listings by price?

It wasn't the sorting thing that was the great debate. It was the word "scam" that did it in.

It wasn't the sorting thing that was the great debate. It was the word "scam" that did it in.

It was a bit of both actually.:)

One debate was about the possibility to trick/scam/mislead/whatever people at all via specific pricing on the GTN and the other was about the meaning of the word scam and whether it was applicable within the context.

I think the problem is that the definition of the word scam is not crystal clear. It's a relatively new word that came only into use as recently as the 1960s and defines itself through already existing terms like swindle, fraud, deception and dishonest/misleading buisiness practices.

In my view, a person who's business model solely revolves around optimizing the chances of someone buying a vastly overprized stack of items by accident, is indeed engaging in a deceitful/misleading business practice that can be described as a scam, but obviously your mileage may vary.

If the intention is to rip someone off then to me it is a scam. Just a note: At least some good music links were provided. Encore!

Which was the basic point some of us were making in that thread. It goes to the sellers intent, regardless if all the information is there if it was intentionally set up to cause confusion specifically for the purpose of tricking someone into paying more it is a scam. To that point lets look at a couple of price tags from Walgreens.

http://cbschicago.files.wordpress.com/2013/10/walgreens.jpg?w=420

The issue with these tags was they were left up after the sale had been expired causing some people to think the items were still on sale when they weren't. All the info is there, it clearly shows the expiration date on the tag, it clearly shows the regular price when the items aren't on sale. The purchaser was never in contact with the seller (a point made in the other thread why it couldn't be a scam) Now how is this different? The buyer simply failed to read the tag thoroughly or they'd have known the item was no longer on sale & exactly what it costs. And we can't 100% prove Walgreens intentionally left those tags up, maybe they just forgot to change them.

Walgreens has been sued & forced to settle in several states over this & other pricing issues.

Because I TOTALLY used the word scam in my thread. Did you even read the post OP? I never used the word scam once. It doesn't even remotely have anything to do with this. I was just confused how Refer-a-Friend is working since you can constantly get free coins from it if you have subs click your link. I love to know how to consider that a scam. Edited by LegoUniverseBC

Not a Force User, sorry.

Did I miss any threads that could be useful in defining what is/isn't a scam?

Edit: Maybe I should start a thread categorizing MMO manners?

This one's clearly one of those Mandalorians, my Lord.

(And nice thread! You weren't kidding about that sticky. :p )

• 1 month later...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.