Strongholds prestige points is lame and misleading

yoomazir

Actually, it's not about the prestige points.

It's about the % completion.

For the first two weeks of conquest I just crammed my SH's full of crap.

Why?

To get a better conquest % bonus of course!

I had decorated my Nar Shaddaa stronghold beautifully, but it was only at around 50%... And I was having trouble getting my DK and Coruscant strongholds above 40% decorating them the way I wanted.

So I just crammed everything in there to get 100% on my DK & Coruscant strongholds and 70+% on my Nar Shadda one (not all rooms unlocked yet) so I could get a better conquest bonus.

I didn't list them publically but still...

I think this is why most people do this... not to get on the top of the prestige list, but to get a better conquest bonus.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think this is why most people do this... not to get on the top of the prestige list, but to get a better conquest bonus.

Possibly. But as an earlier poster noted, the default visibility setting is private, these people have to intentionally make their junk heaps public. And since they probably aren't very proud of their creations (I hope), that leaves getting to the top of the list as the reason.

I'm somewhat guilty of filling my strongholds with stuff to get a higher conquest bonus. In my case it's mostly trophies, since there are heaps of those trivially available and they don't block actual decorations too much. I also haven't made any of my strongholds public yet.

Actually, it's not about the prestige points.

It's about the % completion.

For the first two weeks of conquest I just crammed my SH's full of crap.

Why?

To get a better conquest % bonus of course!

I had decorated my Nar Shaddaa stronghold beautifully, but it was only at around 50%... And I was having trouble getting my DK and Coruscant strongholds above 40% decorating them the way I wanted.

So I just crammed everything in there to get 100% on my DK & Coruscant strongholds and 70+% on my Nar Shadda one (not all rooms unlocked yet) so I could get a better conquest bonus.

I didn't list them publically but still...

Yeah, this is it ofc.

Im so glad BW chose to go with the railroad hooksystem instead of Free Placement, since they were so afraid players wouldn't be able to line up stuff and decorate properly otherwise...

This entire system is crap and offer absolutly No diversity or variety. Binding completion to conquest bonus is just...i dont even...

This entire system is crap and offer absolutly No diversity or variety.

Limited as the hook system might be, this is just not true. There are still hundreds of different decorations to choose from, and thousands of ways in which to put them together. Any lack of diversity or variety is just because people lack imagination. Or, like you, they see the hook system and won't even bother to try.

Just take a look at these three strongholds on tor-decorating.com. Short of Bioware giving us tools to design our own room shapes and decoration objects, I find it hard to imagine how those could be any more different, hooks or not.

Edited by DataBeaver

Yeah, this is it ofc.

Im so glad BW chose to go with the railroad hooksystem instead of Free Placement, since they were so afraid players wouldn't be able to line up stuff and decorate properly otherwise...

This entire system is crap and offer absolutly No diversity or variety. Binding completion to conquest bonus is just...i dont even...

Take your rants elsewhere, they have nothing to do with the topic at hand.

Go away.

As for why people list them, it might be for the achievements of having a certain number of people in their strongholds at once.

There was a stronghold on Tatooine that has over 100k in prestige points, so i thought hell it must be some of the all time best stronghold, so i went and visit it, lo and behold the place is EMPTY. only thing it had was wall trophies and few basic junk here and there.... and i thought, what kinda of a retard would put that piece of trash on public listing? while he is at it, he should change his stronghold name to something like tatooine trash compartment.

personal rule of thumb never trade looks for prestige points.

No, you see, I carefully placed 50 Holographic trees ( and those didn't come cheap :-/ ) in my NS stronghold because it fitted lorewise, it think it would be not pretty/viable if I removed 49 trees just to put different random crap in order to increase the prestige points.

Yeah, same for me - about 70 Imperial banners on the walls of Dromund Kaas.

Reall,y I refuse to follow this "one decoration only" silly rule. I want four Autumn trees, four manaan ferns and four bushes, I want several plants of each type, I certainly want a few fountains and a few Emperor statues, and I don't care if my prestige falls to 44k - I want to be comfortable in my own home.

Everyone is forgetting the golden rule.

He with the gold makes the rules. Well in this case he/she with the gold makes the rules or at least the top leaderboards on prestige.

It's a cash sink and a credit sink. Most of the high level prestige is strictly obtained by those people opening the most decorations (First one is 100 points, each after 2 points). So if you have daddy war bucks buying his kiddo all the CC's he wants... well guess what.. Junior just got a place filled with CM purchased crap. Plus all the unlocked required to use all the hooks in each stronghold.

I have to agree with many in the thread it's complete crap to get 100% just for conquest bonus and your prestige is great.

Personally. I think the "HARD TO GET" items should be worth a TON more prestige points each item. SM Boss on my wall takes the same number of hooks as my NIM Boss on the wall. (Except NIM takes whole wall and not the crappy little green one). Things like the GIANT Datacron or others should seriously BUMP prestige, but nope they only count the same amount as others. ***? That sucks. PVPer's crappy little reward for Season 2 I suspect was also a whomping 100 points. (Gee just got 200-300 from items in my personal quest).

[...]

I have to agree with many in the thread it's complete crap to get 100% just for conquest bonus and your prestige is great.

Personally. I think the "HARD TO GET" items should be worth a TON more prestige points each item. SM Boss on my wall takes the same number of hooks as my NIM Boss on the wall. (Except NIM takes whole wall and not the crappy little green one). Things like the GIANT Datacron or others should seriously BUMP prestige, but nope they only count the same amount as others. ***? That sucks. PVPer's crappy little reward for Season 2 I suspect was also a whomping 100 points. (Gee just got 200-300 from items in my personal quest).

This I totally agree with, on both points. :cool:

First of all, I saw so many SHs filled with chairs, mailboxes and nothing else that it's making me really disppointed. :(

Mostly since my properly filled SH on DK is jumping between the last places of first page and the first ones on the second page, because of that. Most of the SHs above me in rank are filled with chairs, mailboxes or whatever. As such, my SH is rated low, because I don't fill it like that. :eek:

I follow a pattern, which is: place what you want to place, not what fills the spot. As such, I'm far away from 100%, but I really like how my DK SH looks. I use the FP and Ops pictures for RP purposes, they are IC beasts, droids or whatever my character saw during his travels, so no big deal on them. ;)

And now the rating. The fact that chairs, mailboxes or whatever all give the same rating is crazy, imo: why make a decoration that takes ages to be found and obtained like the Tython FP one - which I incidentally got and won on my first attempt after GSH went live :rolleyes: - be as valuable as a chair that costs like 200 credits? :confused:

Not only it encourages to fill the SH with crap, it also penalizes those who want to place things properly, to enjoy a true SH, and not a warehouse of sorts. Why work for something good looking when you can just place chairs? :confused:

I hope something will change, because while tbh I don't really care for my rank, I would like to see better furnished SHs above me, rather than warehouses... :(

Yeah, same for me - about 70 Imperial banners on the walls of Dromund Kaas.

Reall,y I refuse to follow this "one decoration only" silly rule. I want four Autumn trees, four manaan ferns and four bushes, I want several plants of each type, I certainly want a few fountains and a few Emperor statues, and I don't care if my prestige falls to 44k - I want to be comfortable in my own home.

I agree with this because I am making a garden on my Coruscant and Dromund Kaas balcony so with the limited number of plants I will have a few that will be more than one. I am trying for different statutes and so far am waiting for another pack before I get a fountain as the jedi fountain is a bit small for my garden.

Rika'takn's stronghold (Tatooine)

Server : Prophecy of the Five

Empire - Republic (depends on which toon I am on I believe, but mostly play empire atm)

102,000 prestige

I agree with some of what was said. I got my bonus for conquest up as quick as I could but I kept my places private. I slowly worked on Tatooine one room at a time and just now made it public, please check it out and tell me what you think. As opposed to just randomly checking out places on the leader board why don't we have a forum thread or listing somewhere of the people who actually want you to come and look cause they worked hard on it. Or maybe there is one but I havn't been able to find it. I would actually make chars on other servers and check places out if someone said "hey. my place, server X check it out" but the alternative is to just randomly check the top 50 or so and wade through the 48 that are junk.

Rika'takn's stronghold (Tatooine)

Server : Prophecy of the Five

Empire - Republic (depends on which toon I am on I believe, but mostly play empire atm)

102,000 prestige

I agree with some of what was said. I got my bonus for conquest up as quick as I could but I kept my places private. I slowly worked on Tatooine one room at a time and just now made it public, please check it out and tell me what you think. As opposed to just randomly checking out places on the leader board why don't we have a forum thread or listing somewhere of the people who actually want you to come and look cause they worked hard on it. Or maybe there is one but I havn't been able to find it. I would actually make chars on other servers and check places out if someone said "hey. my place, server X check it out" but the alternative is to just randomly check the top 50 or so and wade through the 48 that are junk.

Ill be by to check on yours if you will return the favor.

Mine is not a redundant "army of chairs" but for some reason I am 100% complete but still only have like 57,000 prestige. I do not understand why. anyone give me some pointers? My stronghold is on NS and everything is unlocked.

Doze's stronghold. Pointers and comments are certainly welcome.

Edited by NuSeC

Ill be by to check on yours if you will return the favor.

Mine is not a redundant "army of chairs" but for some reason I am 100% complete but still only have like 57,000 prestige. I do not understand why. anyone give me some pointers? My stronghold is on NS and everything is unlocked.

Doze's stronghold. Pointers and comments are certainly welcome.

Are the unique items placed within the stronghold? I believe it's linked to that not just what you've unlocked.

Are the unique items placed within the stronghold? I believe it's linked to that not just what you've unlocked.

I believe so. the most unique items are spread around nicely and I even cared about making ot look good. Not clustered and certainly not spamming any single item.

I just don't get why my prestige is so low while my house is more or less decked out. I see some with nearly twice as much prestige but the house is not even in the same league as mine in the area of unique items and decorations.

Its frustrating.

I believe so. the most unique items are spread around nicely and I even cared about making ot look good. Not clustered and certainly not spamming any single item.

I just don't get why my prestige is so low while my house is more or less decked out. I see some with nearly twice as much prestige but the house is not even in the same league as mine in the area of unique items and decorations.

Its frustrating.

That comes from the formula used to calculate the strongholds prestige.

stronghold prestige = used hooks / max hooks * personal prestige

If you're a subscriber the SH prestige is doubled.

So if there are 2 Players with 100% complete Strongholds and nr one has 80k personal prestige and nr two has only 50k personal prestige, nr 1 will have 160k SH prestige while nr 2 will only have 100k SH prestige.

The personal prestige score calculates from the decorations you unlock (100 per first unlaock and 2 for every following). Your SH prestige is your personal prestige multiplied with your SH completion.

Yup, it's very stupid. I'm not going to clutter my strongholds with crap like other people are but it's designed great.

The problem with the current system is, they're practically forcing you to completely stuff your stronghold with trash just to get the conquest bonus. And if you're wanting to have a decent chance at conquest, you're forced to buy and complete all the strongholds for the bonus. The two shouldn't be related at all imo, people should be able to decorate the stronghold how they want and at their own pace, without the feeling of competition or a need to complete it for the conquest bonus.

For me the stronghold is a place of utility where I have storage, crafting bench, GTN kiosk, mailbox and vendors. All in one easy to access place! I haven't found out yet if it is possible to get trainers in there, but if it is I'll get those, too. :p

I do try to place other decorations in an aesthetically pleasing way, so long as they don't clutter the place up, though.

Cheers!

• 4 weeks later...
You just listed six steps for getting an item from another character and you don't think it's complicated? You'll have to wait on loading screens several minutes for that.

Legacy storage is a major timesaver when moving mods around between alts.

My first toon (beta and live) was IA with Cybertech. She wasn't my first 50 or 55, but close. You know the amount of times I actually made mods for my toons? Probably 7 times total, before legacy storage. Since then? Well, only like 3 but the mats were from 3 toons. Quickly unlocked all of Tatooine and 4 quick legacy slots and soooo worth it. Crafting anywhere from legacy cargo is probably the best MMO feature ever.

• 5 months later...

I'm sorry for necroing an old thread.. But of all I've read here, the only point worth recognition is the "ignore button"..

When I first recieved my NS SH, all it had was my utility room.. Mailbox, storage, vendor etc.. But now.. I have the freedom to decorate. But, I am limited as I only play at work. That means I cannot do anything group related. So my decoration unlocks are limited to what I can buy off the GTN. In saying that, I've noticed two themes being stated here..

A) People make crap SH's to get 100% for conquests..

B) I unlock good decorations through conquests, therefore I should be better than others!!

Uh.. Wrong.. At the moment, I have 17k prestige, and 62% completion.. At no point have I ever needed to fill my SH with random crap for any reward.. But what most people miss the point of, is that, even though I buy most of my decorations from the GTN, a SH, is only meant to be a personal retreat.. Your own space.. Sure players get some rewards from 100%, but I would put my limited HOME up against theirs easily.. Even my basic benches in a pattern on the large NS balcony have an aesthetic value that I wouldn't upgrade to something "nicer"! I've spent, after room unlocks, close to 15M credits on decorations.. And again.. It's only 62% complete. Basic decorations have a use if they suit the need.. And just because you bought/unlocked a nicer piece, is meaningless..

And again.. It all boils down to "ignore".. I like to post my SH on the public listings.. A few times people have come in and told me of a certain decoration that may look good "here".. I check and cool, they were right.. So I bought it..

Prestige is a number.. And even those who think they are making a great home, can still end up with crap in the eyes of someone else..