Quarterly Producer Letter for Q2 2024 ×

SW:TOR will experience the first ever overnight ecomonic crash of an MMO.

Kimiko

I never said you could. We're talking about end game content, not leveling content.

Wait a minute, a couple pages ago you were the voice of new players?

"Entitlement?" lol!!! Not even close. It's just the opposite. I'm not selfish and shortsighted enough to see this as a good thing for the game. MMOs depend on new players....

Now all of the sudden it's OK to gate content from new players as long as we don't gate endgame content? What is your point again?

• Replies 246
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Really? You can gear up a 55 and run HM dp, DF? Come on buddy stop trolling it's pathetic someone would sub to a video game just to troll. You can't gear a 55 on oricon in 30 and run ALL OPS!

It's probably time for you to move on to a new game, maybe learn the dynamics of how mmos operate. Just because you sub does NOT ENTITLE you to all content just because. It takes time, effort, knowledge , dedication. Guild ships are no different then any other content. Give it up you are embarrassing yourself.

I have news for you...you don't even need gear on to run HM or NiM DP or DF. Try it once...I promise, you're not at all gated from attempting it. Shocking huh?

And you think because I disagree with the entry price of guild ships, I should just quit this game? Nice. lol

Wait a minute, a couple pages ago you were the voice of new players?

Now all of the sudden it's OK to gate content from new players as long as we don't gate endgame content? What is your point again?

New players who reach 55...I didn't figure anyone would get so confused by the idea that I should need to spell it out. Apparently I was wrong.

Edited by TUXs

I have news for you...you don't even need gear on to run HM or NiM DP or DF. Try it once...I promise, you're not at all gated from attempting it. Shocking huh?

And you think because I disagree with the entry price of guild ships, I should just quit this game? Nice. lol

You can't even enter the operation naked unless you complete the level 55 gating...

Why is a level gate so different in your mind to a credit gate? Both require time.

Edited by azudelphi

Elder gameplay vs. leveling.

Elder gameplay requires completion of leveling gameplay. That means it requires time. That makes it gated just like guildships.

Besides, Guild conquests aren't elder game. They're alternate advancement...

Edited by azudelphi

New players who reach 55...I didn't figure anyone would get so confused by the idea that I should need to spell it out. Apparently I was wrong.

Yeah because when you say new players most people assume you mean new lvl 55's. Furthermore that doesn't really make sense in this statement:

"Entitlement?" lol!!! Not even close. It's just the opposite. I'm not selfish and shortsighted enough to see this as a good thing for the game. MMOs depend on new players....

So your point is MMo's depend on fresh lvl 55 characters not new players picking up the game for the first time? It's OK for new players to be gated from content possibly making them quit them game before they can really "get into it" as long as we don't gate fresh lvl 55's?

Furthermore which seems like a harder obstacle to overcome. A) Join a guild that has a flagship. B) Grind a character to lvl 55? The ship is barely a gate at all. New players giving this game a chance are met with a much more daunting gate. Admit it you were trying to gain sympathy by acting as some voice of the new player, now you just had to move the goalposts.

Yeah because when you say new players most people assume you mean new lvl 55's. Furthermore that doesn't really make sense in this statement:

I assumed most new players goal is to reach 55...I don't know anyone who plays only to 54.

Admit it you were trying to gain sympathy by acting as some voice of the new player, now you just had to move the goalposts.

I've been consistent since the price was released. I believe 50 million is ridiculously high. It HURTS this game, not helps it.

I'm not trying to gain sympathy, I'm stating my opinion.

Edited by TUXs

No the fact all you do is troll the forums is why. Let me just take a shot let me know how close I am.

You are an angry, bitter swg vet that can't move on with his life after SWG close 3 or 4 years ago. You have made it your personal crusade to try (and fail) and take down Swtor by trolling every thread about something new coming to Swtor.

So how close am I?

No the fact all you do is troll the forums is why. Let me just take a shot let me know how close I am.

You are an angry, bitter swg vet that can't move on with his life after SWG close 3 or 4 years ago. You have made it your personal crusade to try (and fail) and take down Swtor by trolling every thread about something new coming to Swtor.

So how close am I?

You are 100% wrong in your assessment.

Despite my being in disagreement with TUXs right now, I can tell you I've been reading his posts on this forum for almost 3 years, and I guarantee you that he is NOT the person you are describing.

Edited by Khevar

Well at least we're not having the econ 101 discussion of "wealth" vs "currency".

In any event, while I appreciate the OPs "concern", I don't necessarily share it. See, my teeny guild (14 people), thought the idea of our small guild owning a guild ship to be awesome. We ran dailies, soloed world bosses, sold tons of stuff on the GTN.

Then Dulfy's video hit. Now the 50 million was a tad much (and we're closing in on that amount even though) to start with, not to mention the whole "Why do 14 people need a Harrow-class Warship? Don't they have anything smaller sir?" (SHort answer 'no', at least not atm).

But it was the unlocks above and beyond the purchase price, not to mention the maintenance and movement costs VERSUS the rewards.

A title? Yawn.

A walker? Cool, oh wait, it's for that planet only? Um.....

We're sitting ok financially. But any allure and or excitement about the potential for being such a small guild and competing with the big boys went Hasta La Vista when we saw the PTS rewards. Maybe I'll fund everyone's legacy storage or something if nothing changes.

Crash ? What does it mean it the economy crashes on this game ? We will lose our ships ? People wil have to beg for creds to pay the taxi to move from one outpost to the other ? People won't be able to raid ? Won't be able to send companions on missions ? You'll have to keep listing your Revan's set at 30mil for a few more days ? What, exactly ?

I wouldn't worry. Creds are infinite in the game and it's damn easy to produce them. We will be fine.

Lol! Just re-reading this and I must admit, the word "crash" pretty much covers the hyperbole of the entire OP. There will be soup lines on the fleet.

And according to Tux there will be permanent underclass of guilds who can't move forward without a welfare system.

So how close am I?

While I've seen plenty of the type you describe on these forums, he isn't one of them. Stick with the discussion/argument, stop trying to attack the poster.

So how close am I?

I dont agree with a lot of what TUX says but this assesment is WAY off the mark.

While I've seen plenty of the type you describe on these forums, he isn't one of them. Stick with the discussion/argument, stop trying to attack the poster.

It wasnt an attack...I was asking a question. And feel free to read through this discussion he wants nothing to do with the facts.

BioWare doesn't seem to have a team of economists to consult with or else this problem would not be upon us.

As well reasoned as your post is, it seems to miss the point of why BW engineered the upcoming release the way they did. I would posit that the impending credit crash is intentional. In fact, I would claim that GSH is specifically designed to massively drain credits from the in-game economy to boost the value of Cartel Coins.

Right now, an average player like myself that has earned The Wealthy title can purchase any cartel market item they want with credits (which I do for the most part and have done since F2P). I receive a monthly CC stipend, but rarely use it. I am sitting on a kitty of 10K+ CC as a result.

If I participate fully in GSH by purchasing multiple strongholds, a guild stronghold and a guild ship, I would be tapped out of credits almost overnight. This would leave me with only my CC which I would have to use to unlock Legacy Storage. This is intentional and by design.

However, I am not the average player (Casual PvEr). I am a PvPer, and as a result, am a member of very small guilds. The majority of fellow PvPers I've spoken with don't care one bit about strongholds and housing. Many of us are receiving a free stronghold with 2 rooms and that's more than enough for us.

The one thing we are interested in is Guild Ships because of the potential OPvP, however, they are priced so far out of the range of what we can afford that we've lost interest in them.

Now I already see the deflation of credits happening on the GTN for crafted items. So I won't be making credits like I used to. But at the same time, I won't need to because none of the content designed to take my credits away is of real interest to me.

Edited by DarthOvertone

You are 100% wrong in your assessment.

Despite my being in disagreement with TUXs right now, I can tell you I've been reading his posts on this forum for almost 3 years, and I guarantee you that he is NOT the person you are describing.

This. Except for the three years. I have just one year of reading his posts.

OP, I read your entire post, twice, with great interest... can I just say... while you can apply the theory of RL Economics to games, that actual crash would cause.... what? Jedi's pimping out their companions for credits? I hear Kira and Mako can earn more creds an hour than running dailies... :rolleyes:

If anything, your available credits (if you choose not to participate in GSH) will buy you more... which you can horde and sell at a later date (buy low, sell high).

And, by the buy... not the first game to introduce a credit sink... since we all understood what that term meant... my guess, its been done before (personally experienced it myself, in multiple games). The lamentations of the "economy is crashing" had a net effect of ... 0 on game play.

But, it was a well thought out and articulated post none the less.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.