Guild Ships: Lowering the Base Price, Increasing the Upgrade Price

Khevar

Disclaimer: I don't personally have any problem with the 50 million unlock price.

This question is more directed towards the posters that have expressed disagreement with the unlock price.

It is my understanding (and this may end up being wrong) that the 50 million base price will expand up to 130 million once all upgrades are purchased. Assuming this is true, what if:

1. The base price were lowered.

2. The upgrade prices were increased.

Such that the total ended up remaining the same? Would this alleviate most of the complaints? If so, what would be a good "base" price? 25 million? 15 million? 10 million?

Edited by Khevar

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

As posted elsewhere, I think this would alleviate many, many concerns, especially for the roleplaying faction. I'd prefer a totally different mechanic, but don't see it happening this close to launch.

What would be appropriate is difficult to say - most roleplayers on my server seem to be agreeing that something between 5 and 20 millions would be doable, which is where my personal gut feeling would lie as well.

As posted elsewhere, I think this would alleviate many, many concerns, especially for the roleplaying faction. I'd prefer a totally different mechanic, but don't see it happening this close to launch.

What would be appropriate is difficult to say - most roleplayers on my server seem to be agreeing that something between 5 and 20 millions would be doable, which is where my personal gut feeling would lie as well.

Agreed. Cut the entry fee in half and we start getting close to a decent number. You can even make up that difference by charging to unlock Conquests after you have gotten your ship.

Such that the total ended up remaining the same? Would this alleviate most of the complaints? If so, what would be a good "base" price? 25 million? 15 million? 10 million?

this I think is absolutely the best solution and in no way trivializes the guilds effort as a whole or trivializes the guilds effort towards conquests, and I have said it more then a few times :D but people are so hung up on claiming credits are so easy to get, but not wanting to except that not all play styles are equal

don't know why some people are so offended by a game providing inclusive content and are so supportive of excluding players, especially in this game, do we really have the numbers playing for people and their ego to be so belittling of how a players chooses to play? <---- very real question by the way :D

Edited by Vis-Tecum

Disclaimer: I don't personally have any problem with the 50 million unlock price.

This question is more directed towards the posters that have expressed disagreement with the unlock price.

It is my understanding (and this may end up being wrong) that the 50 million base price will expand up to 130 million once all upgrades are purchased. Assuming this is true, what if:

That is a excellent idea. Two thumbs up.

I am totally cool with this. Cut the entry price in half or even to 10-15 million and spread the difference out in the upgrades. Gives a lot more people a chance to get into one.

Seriously. This thread is the best idea that I have seen on the subject. I hope that it gets the proper attention.

Edited by TheBBP

Or... really lower the base and room price and do add a maintenance fees.

The maintenance fee could be paid in many forms: credits, PvP tokens, dailies tokens, mats, crafted items.

I'm usually against maintenance fees as, for single players, it hinders them to take breaks and come back later on.

Still with a guild you should always have players in maintaining the guild ship.

Also RP wise it makes sense that a guild ship costs a lot to maintain.

Finally a fine tuned constant credit sink is always good in MMO.

Edited by Deewe

Yes, agreed! Allows more guilds to buy in and allows the richest ones to display their riches even more with higher unlock prices! Upgrades more expensive, basic unlocks cheaper: this would work well for everyone RPers to PVErs.

I would consider any price between 10 and 30 million credits to be reasonable in that case. If you think about it makes sense everything is 130M so 30M to unlock the ship and 100M to expand...

I certainly agree. It would also be easier on the members and on the guild chat - I'm just not comfortable with all the lotto posts, "donate now!" posts in guild chat and all those bad things associated with credits. (And, no, donating doesn't put a stop to this, because you still keep seeing that in your guild chat anyway).

Yeah, I think "Ok, we have a ship, now it's time for a little upgrade" is better than "Ok, we need to get money for the ship!" Base price of the Flagship should be obtainable by 2 or 3 people. You know, 3 people make money for the base, and then whole guild work for the expansions. At the same time, the price can't be too low, because this is Flagship. 30 million credits could be a good price, as I said in my other thread. And 100 million for the entire ship.

Remember that conquering planets is not only about the price of the Flagship :) Also, remember that you will need to decorate this ship!

Edited by mortenpro

I do not think that would solve anything.

I think the only thing that would happen is that all the whining on the forums about the cost of the ship would then be about the cost of the upgrades.

I think many of the whiners would feel that if all the whining going on now gets the cost of the ship lowered, maybe a lot more whining would get the cost of the upgrades lowered.

If BW gives the mice this cookie, will they be satisfied or will they want that glass of milk also? I think we know the answer to that question.

We already have people whining for a much lower cost to not only buy the ship but to fully upgrade it:

Yeah, I think "Ok, we have a ship, now it's time for a little upgrade" is better than "Ok, we need to get money for the ship!" Base price of the Flagship should be obtainable by 2 or 3 people. You know, 3 people make money for the base, and then whole guild work for the expansions. At the same time, the price can't be too low, because this is Flagship. 30 million credits could be a good price, as I said in my other thread. And 100 million for the entire ship.

Remember that conquering planets is not only about the price of the Flagship :) Also, remember that you will need to decorate this ship!

We even have at least one poster who expects that the guild ship should be simply GIVEN FOR FREE.

Edited by Ratajack

I think the only thing that would happen is that all the whining on the forums about the cost of the ship would then be about the cost of the upgrades.

I think many of the whiners would feel that if all the whining going on now gets the cost of the ship lowered, maybe a lot more whining would get the cost of the upgrades lowered.

If BW gives the mice this cookie, will they be satisfied or will they want that glass of milk also? I think we know the answer to that question.

We already have people whining for a much lower cost to not only buy the ship but to fully upgrade it:

We even have at least one poster who expects that the guild ship should be simply GIVEN FOR FREE.

wow...what a sociopathic viewpoint. do you really need to insult people?

Nothing will ever stop all of the complaints. However, so far Khavar's idea here is the best possible compromise that involves the most people being able to get into the guild ship and BioWare still getting their credit sink.

I've been convinced of 30 million. I think it would be pretty challenging to convince me that a guild of at least 8 active players would reasonably need it to be less than that, and I'm not very concerned about how long it would take a guild of less than 8 active players to get one.

I've been convinced of 30 million. I think it would be pretty challenging to convince me that a guild of at least 8 active players would reasonably need it to be less than that, and I'm not very concerned about how long it would take a guild of less than 8 active players to get one.

It shouldn't matter to anyone if the entry point was 1 credit as long as it stayed the 150mil or whatever it is for all of the upgrades when it is all said and done.

Some folks simply want a guild hall in the sky. If they cannot afford to upgrade and compete in Conquest, then they have work to do. The entry point for this thing should not be so steep.

I absolutely agree that the base price should be drastically lower. 10mil sounds reasonable to me.

However, I don't believe that 140 mil for the unlocks is anywhere near reasonable. 140 mil sounds arbitrary. 140 mil sounds excessive. Why do you think that's a reasonable price?

I absolutely agree that the base price should be drastically lower. 10mil sounds reasonable to me.

However, I don't believe that 140 mil for the unlocks is anywhere near reasonable. 140 mil sounds arbitrary. 140 mil sounds excessive. Why do you think that's a reasonable price?

My understanding is that guild ships are supposed to be something guilds should see as goal, not as gift.

140 million for upgrades sounds cheap. Guild ships are capital ships, right? They should be expensive. Let's take comparison from another game: titans in EVE cost 60+ billion each. Even 50 million for a capital ship is cheap.

Edited by Halinalle

My understanding is that guild ships are supposed to be something guilds should see as goal, not as gift.

140 million for upgrades sounds cheap. Guild ships are capital ships, right? They should be expensive. Let's take comparison from another game: titans in EVE cost 60+ billion each. Even 50 million for a capital ship is cheap.

This isn't Eve and I don't give a flip what Eve does.

50 mil isn't a "goal", it's a gate for most guilds.

How about "playstyle" and "fun" ? It has been discussed to death in various threads around here.

But really, does it matter? Whats the harm in a lower price to accomodate people with less time, less desire to spend that limited time in boring activities i.e. credit grind, or simply to help out smaller guilds that happen to be formed of such people?

It's not like anyone is at disadvantage by a lower price. Even the often-praised goal or achievement is still provived through the still expensive upgrades.

Trust: non-issue because you shouldn't be in guild where you can't trust leader.

Is there other reasons other than that one and "lazy"?

I have a guild with a handful of active people who I can guarantee you are not lazy and we are nowhere near being able to drop 50 mil into the guild bank. It does not bother us that the overall price is 150mil, we just want to be able to get into the door and work from there.

Trust: non-issue because you shouldn't be in guild where you can't trust leader.

Is there other reasons other than that one and "lazy"?

"Lazy"? I'm not the one who thinks sitting in front of his computer screen pushing buttons for days on end to collect virtual credits is acceptable. I'm the opposite of that person.

Yeah, the reason is, it's not "fun". 50 million isn't easy to come by. 50 million is unheard of by me and extreme by any account. 50 million is also where the price STARTS!!! Not the final cost, which is an additional 140 million.

Grinding that many credits in a game that has suffered with player retention as much as SWTOR has, is insane!

I have a guild with a handful of active people who I can guarantee you are not lazy and we are nowhere near being able to drop 50 mil into the guild bank. It does not bother us that the overall price is 150mil, we just want to be able to get into the door and work from there.

So go get into the door. Getting in the door and working from there - the delta between entry and fully configured - sounds like it's around 90 million.

If you can do 90, why can't you do 50?

Do you guys actively use the CM or save your Cartel Coins?

I do believe we've received roughly 3 million credits worth of Cartel Coins each since the flagship announcement. If you've got ten people, you're already most of the way there.