The harm PvPers do to PvE

krisagi

• Replies 362
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not sure, people sure do get defensive and worked up over people suggesting a permanent PVP toggle and it's not because of the lack of development resources.

Because I can think of at least 3 ways someone can be harassed with no repercussion without the auto flag feature and I am someone that would never harass anyone in game. Hell I wish they would take the auto flag further by making so that if I heal a republic NPC a imp is trying to kill it would automatically flag me. So yes I am against the off switch, the way it is now is fine. Nobody is flagged unless they decide to be flagged.

Because I can think of at least 3 ways someone can be harassed with no repercussion without the auto flag feature and I am someone that would never harass anyone in game. Hell I wish they would take the auto flag further by making so that if I heal a republic NPC a imp is trying to kill it would automatically flag me. So yes I am against the off switch, the way it is now is fine. Nobody is flagged unless they decide to be flagged.

That is BS. About 4 or 5 weeks ago I was fighting some Sand People on Tat and got Flagged by some GS. I don't know how or care. To me gankers are some yutt that eats out toilets. They are like gnats annoying but that is it. So don't tell me I decided to be flagged. That is a bull.

I am with well, unless I click the flag I shouldn't be flagged because some stupid PVP wander into my AOE intentionally exploiting a bug on the game, this could be considered an exploit and any PVPer doing that should be banned.

I am with well, unless I click the flag I shouldn't be flagged because some stupid PVP wander into my AOE intentionally exploiting a bug on the game, this could be considered an exploit and any PVPer doing that should be banned.

You're mistaking how the current system works.

You = NO FLAG

Bad guy = FLAG

Unless you specifically target AND attack him (2 things must happen) - you're not flagged. You must both ACQUIRE him as a target AND ATTACK him...BOTH! Not from AOE splash...

No exploits. Just ignorance.

Edited by TUXs

Server: Harbinger West Coast PvE

Planet: Oricon

PvPers in both factions are deliberately flagging PvP then running into a PvE'ers AOE and flagging them for PvP so to prevent them from completing ANY PvE Quest or Daily. I am on a PvE Server because I do not wish to PvP. If I wished to PvP I would have rolled a Character on a PvP Server. PvPers are making me want to cancel my account, and my guild members are thinking of doing the same thing. Please BioWare FIX IT NOW.

Read what the OP says, they entered the AOE of a PVE player and that player got flagged inmediately because his AOE was casted at a mob but the effect lasted long enough to get the PVP targeted. Or at least that is what I get from the OP.

Edited by Kantaso

Read what the OP says, they entered the AOE of a PVE player and that player got flagged inmediately because his AOE was casted at a mob but the effect lasted long enough to get the PVP targeted. Or at least that is what I get from the OP.

The OP is wrong about what happened. That isn't how the system works.

You must both ACQUIRE him as a target AND ATTACK him...BOTH! Not from AOE splash...

Just curious. Are we sure this is how it works? The one and only time I ever got duped into flagging was on Voss with my Sage. Some Sith whatever was flagged and following me. He just shadowed me around until I finally used an AoE attack on some mobs. Then he moved into the effect area and I was tagged. Then I was dead. I had not targeted him and, in fact, was very careful not to. But this was last year. I assume if you're right they fixed that since then.

If you're right, then I agree. Nothing needs to be done. If I can't be bothered to pay attention to what/who I'm targeting, then shame on me.

Just curious. Are we sure this is how it works? The one and only time I ever got duped into flagging was on Voss with my Sage. Some Sith whatever was flagged and following me. He just shadowed me around until I finally used an AoE attack on some mobs. Then he moved into the effect area and I was tagged. Then I was dead. I had not targeted him and, in fact, was very careful not to. But this was last year. I assume if you're right they fixed that since then.

If you're right, then I agree. Nothing needs to be done. If I can't be bothered to pay attention to what/who I'm targeting, then shame on me.

I know from experience that in other games if you just walk into the AOE as it is casted and active you get flagged.

You're mistaking how the current system works.

You = NO FLAG

Bad guy = FLAG

Unless you specifically target AND attack him (2 things must happen) - you're not flagged. You must both ACQUIRE him as a target AND ATTACK him...BOTH! Not from AOE splash...

No exploits. Just ignorance.

Even thought my Sins AOE skills are massive I wasn't anywhere close to the GS. I was fighting Sand People. I doubt my DB LS reach's 35 meters

I know from experience that in other games if you just walk into the AOE as it is casted and active you get flagged.
Yeah, I know that is how it used to work in SWTOR. I was asking if it has, in fact, been changed since my incident.

Yeah, I know that is how it used to work in SWTOR. I was asking if it has, in fact, been changed since my incident.

They fixed it so it wouldn't and it got broke so it would and supposedly fixed..who knows now.

That is BS. About 4 or 5 weeks ago I was fighting some Sand People on Tat and got Flagged by some GS. I don't know how or care. To me gankers are some yutt that eats out toilets. They are like gnats annoying but that is it. So don't tell me I decided to be flagged. That is a bull.
Sorry, don't target them and use a AoE and don't shoot them and you will not get flagged. If you choice to do either then you will and should be flagged, you hit first.

A launch you would get flagged if they merely walked into a AoE. They fixed it. People were moaning about it on the forum during the Rakghoul event. I tested it for a week, trying to get flagged. Only ways I got flagged on different toons was when I actually targeted a flagged player and damage them. Who knows they may have broke it with a patch like they do the relics every other patch, but I have been leveling a smasher and I do CZ-198 in the contested area almost every day and I AoE the hell out of that place on my sage and slinger and have yet to be flagged and I'm not careful at all except for not targeting a flagged player until AoE has landed and I don't shot someone unless I want to fight.

Edited by mikebevo

Sorry, don't target them and use a AoE and don't shoot them and you will not get flagged. If you choice to do either then you will and should be flagged, you hit first.

Newsflash! My Sin was not targeting the GS who was way off from my chr as I was fighting Sand people. My DBLS couldn't reach the distance the GS was. Don't tell me I hit first.

no the absolute terrible and boring Warzones are driving people to do this stuff

Lets not CREATE excuses for the root cause.

I disagree. I think its just some experienced PVP players who think it is fun to fight non pvp players in non pvp gear and watch them die a fast and brutel death while they desperately try to evade or fight back. It's just a bully mentality. Most PVP'ers don't do this - it's just a small hand full of players that seem to get off on it.

I had someone do the same thing when i played SWG years ago AND when i was playing the beta in swtor a couple of months before launch on nar shada (when all content was new to every player).

Its just one of those things you face in an MMO. Although its wrong, i don't know what you can do about it.

Newsflash! My Sin was not targeting the GS who was way off from my chr as I was fighting Sand people. My DBLS couldn't reach the distance the GS was. Don't tell me I hit first.

Companions have been known to hit first. Did your companion hit first? That would be my guess if you are just not denying facts. Newflash turn on combat logs and when you die you can figure out the cause. Good luck and have fun it is just a game and PvP deaths don't come with repair cost.. Annoying, but not the end of the world.

Thanks well, I think you are on to something. I will test this at Gree event. Which companion were you using at the time, do you remember? I remember getting flagged a lot when I was leveling my sawbones with the wookiee (tank). I never use healer or tank companions leveling or doing dailies now. I only use dps companions, so I am wondering if companions may be why I had such trouble getting flagged the last time I tested this.

Edited by mikebevo

I disagree. I think its just some experienced PVP players who think it is fun to fight non pvp players in non pvp gear and watch them die a fast and brutel death while they desperately try to evade or fight back. It's just a bully mentality. Most PVP'ers don't do this - it's just a small hand full of players that seem to get off on it.

I had someone do the same thing when i played SWG years ago AND when i was playing the beta in swtor a couple of months before launch on nar shada (when all content was new to every player).

Its just one of those things you face in an MMO. Although its wrong, i don't know what you can do about it.

I agree. It is a small group. During the Beta in NS I got ganked about 6 times on one quest. It didn't matter I got the quest done. There are just some folks that are lame. D2/LOD we called them PKERS. Level 90s attacking low levels.

Companions have been known to hit first. Did your companion hit first? That would be my guess if you are just not denying facts. Newflash turn on combat logs and when you die you can figure out the cause. Good luck and have fun it is just a game and PvP deaths don't come with repair cost.. Annoying, but not the end of the world.

Thanks well, I think you are on to something. I will test this at Gree event. Which companion were you using at the time, do you remember? I remember getting flagged a lot when I was leveling my sawbones with the wookiee (tank). I never use healer or tank companions leveling or doing dailies now. I only use dps companions, so I am wondering if companions may be why I had such trouble getting flagged the last time I tested this.

You may be right on that. I had Treek who was tanking but she was close. Still who knows. When GREE first went to level 55 I was fighting hostiles in the PVE area with a JC and Nadia. I was fighting hostiles and 4 imps flagged came by. I didn't use AOE just to be safe but I think Nadia might have used hers because next thing I know I was fighting both hostiles and Imps. As far as combat logs well tbh I swore off screen and then continued to quest once I got unflagged.

OP,

What you should have done was filed a /bug report when this happened. All of the recent data would've been saved and sent to the devs to examine.

As you can see, posting something like this on the forums causes no end of debate.

Most likely scenario (as was mentioned): You or your companion inadvertently attacked first, and this person took full advantage of it.

Hell, the whole thing could have been an accidental encounter. Maybe he just finished a WZ and returned to where he was prior to the WZ and was accidentally hit by you/your companion and retaliated.

All we're getting here is your take on what happened. If what you say is the truth, then he's more a griefer than a PvPer, since true PvPers don't usually have to, or are willing to, go out of their way like this to fight someone.

Maybe BW can "fix" this by removing PvP flags upon completion of WZ's on PvE servers. GSF is PvP, but you don't see people running around flagged after a match. They could even go as far as to remove the toggle from PvE servers so that PvP will only be allowed in WZ's. For contested areas, and opposing faction bases/outposts, it takes 10 seconds to auto-flag. Upon leaving the contested area/opposing faction area, give a 10 second countdown for removal of the flag if not in combat, or once combat breaks.

This thread is hilarious. Not too long ago I caught two Pubs in Oricon in their glorious 180 gear and completely destroyed them. Actually as I'm typing this I'm getting ready to go hunt some PvErs in Oricon again. Edited by DARKheartLAND

This thread is hilarious. Not too long ago I caught two Pubs in Oricon in their glorious 180 gear and completely destroyed them. Actually as I'm typing this I'm getting ready to go hunt some PvErs in Oricon again.

180 with expertise... , no?

Cool story bro.