SW:TOR 4th biggest Sub MMO in the world

ninjonxb

Not a good comparison seeing as AC3 is a single player game with a crappy MP option and if you notice they almost always recycle item from previous games with new skins so the cost is lower.

SWTOR's Production cost was in the ball parks of $200 million.

First the multiplayer part is already developed in SWTOR. So it's not really a huge investment, unless they'd want to totally revamp it. Which could help regarding how some parts are far from being designed to suit MMO needs.

Then so does SWTOR like every cavern is the same. Most gear is made from reskinned textures or slightly tweaked meshes or even only changing one parameter in the code.

As you like coding here's something for you that you can find on Google.

Also there's much more to AC IV than simple reskinning, at least that's what some friends tells me :p

So it was just a comparison but well with the supposedly earnings they could have make like 3 AoC, or 5 Lotro now it all depends of what are the benefits...

Edited by Deewe

• Replies 484
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What I'm more interested in, is how much of it is going back into the game and not funneled to other projects at EA. I'm just not seeing the success inside the game, as a player. Edited by Jandi

So I believe this information is totally skewed. Here is the link to EA's 10-k filing. if you do Ctl+f and search for Star Wars. You will easily find where they talk about revenue, licensing, and losses. Here are a few statements I found interesting.:

****These forms do not specifically tell us how much revenue was last year. I just wanted to show you EA's published statements about the games financials. SWTOR is grouped up with other games internally. There is not real way of knowing what they numbers are unless you work for EA.*****

For fiscal year 2014, service and other revenue was $1,441 million, primarily driven by FIFA Ultimate Team, Star Wars: The Old Republic, and SimCity. Service and other revenue for fiscal year 2014 increased $382 million, or 36 percent, as compared to fiscal year 2013. This increase was driven by a $468 million increase primarily from the FIFA and SimCity franchises, and The Simpsons: Tapped Out. This increase was partially offset by an $86 million decrease primarily from lower revenue from The Sims Social, which shut down in June 2013, Star Wars: The Old Republic, as well as Pogo-branded online game services.

For fiscal year 2014, digital Net Revenue before Revenue Deferral was $1,793 million, an increase of $130 million, or 8%, as compared to fiscal year 2013. This increase is due to (1) a $297 million or 24 percent increase in full-game download, extra content and free-to-play sales primarily driven by FIFA 14, Battlefield 4, and FIFA Online 3. These increases were partially offset by a $167 million or 39 percent decrease in subscription sales primarily driven by Battlefield 3 Premium subscription, Star Wars: The Old Republic and FIFA 13. In the previous year, Star Wars: The Old Republic was a subscription-only based MMO. This year, some of the revenue from this title was recognized in the free-to-play category as we expanded this title to be both a subscription and free-to-play game.

I read EA's 10-k's every year once they are published. This is not the first time they have stated a decrease from SWTOR.

I have my opinions on the data i will leave ya'll with the information to make your own.

Edited by Brat-a-tat-

I think it's fair to say subs are somewhere around 200k. Based on the last reports EA made with respect to total subs and total players (F2P), compared with prior numbers released, and based on a regular loss rate, one could assume the loss has resulted in around that number.

To my knowledge there are no hard numbers at present to confirm that.

But again, revenue looks good...naturally cost comes into play, whether or not they have a comfortable profit margin at this point.

Like I said, I believe they could have had around a 12 percent market share like I stated a year ago. They are half way there. That is pretty good news IMO.

I think it's fair to say subs are somewhere around 200k. Based on the last reports EA made with respect to total subs and total players (F2P), compared with prior numbers released, and based on a regular loss rate, one could assume the loss has resulted in around that number.

To my knowledge there are no hard numbers at present to confirm that.

But again, revenue looks good...naturally cost comes into play, whether or not they have a comfortable profit margin at this point.

Like I said, I believe they could have had around a 12 percent market share like I stated a year ago. They are half way there. That is pretty good news IMO.

It would be hard to push a 12% global market share given the regional preference of game styles. Asian MMOs are very grindy and don't fly well with Americans, however they are immensely popular in Asia which has a far larger population than America does. The fact that they are within 3% of the market share for the 2 largest Asian market MMOs speaks alot. It also proves one other thing..

WoW is the exception, not the rule.. The fact that it's market share is greater than the sum of it's next 7 or 8 competitors shows that. They were the first to put out an easy to learn game, with an addictive playstyle, and once people got invested in something with their time, it becomes very hard to walk away. They struck the iron while it was hot, and now they are reaping the benefits of that. You really can't expect another MMO to do as well given the way the market has changed.

165$ in 1 Year, wow.

Well thats enuf money to create this game again...and now lets think what amount of content that game recieved sind release and what amount was in the game at release...ah ok 90% EA, 10% to the game ?

btw most subbers buy in cm...

Oh there shouldn't ever be a doubt they're making money off the Cartel Market. I'm not sure how many subs you could actually extrapolate that into (and I notice the company didn't try, insufficient info).

If that is $ from subscriptions only (i'm guessing it is since last years cartel market profits were reported to be higher than the number released in this story) then it is nearly 1 million subscribers. Add F2P and Prefered status players and I bet SWTOR hovers around the 2 million mark, world wide.

Nothing to be happy about.

You shouldn't be saying "well this game is gonna stick around!", you should be asking "What is the future of this game?"

$165 million last year? We all know that was mainly due to the cash shop. And that money is going straight into EA's pocket. This is obvious due to the underwhelming amount of playable content updates, especially with PVP.

SWTOR's budget was like $200 million? You'd expect a lot more from EAware if they earn more than 3/4 their original budget last year. You'd expect loads more content.

Edited by Elite-Defender

Nothing to be happy about.

You shouldn't be saying "well this game is gonna stick around!", you should be asking "What is the future of this game?"

$165 million last year? We all know that was mainly due to the cash shop. And that money is going straight into EA's pocket. This is obvious due to the underwhelming amount of playable content updates, especially with PVP.

SWTOR's budget was like $200 million? You'd expect a lot more from EAware if they earn more than 3/4 their original budget last year. You'd expect loads more content.

According to this thread that 165 Million was seperate from the 139 Mil made from micro transactions alone.

Try harder.

According to this thread that 165 Million was seperate from the 139 Mil made from micro transactions alone.

Try harder.

That just makes his post all the more valid. If this game pulled in somewhere in the realm of $300 Million, there should be even more in the way of returns going back into the game with regards to a few more devs and increased content roll out. Thus far the proof in the pudding is not looking too well on that end.

Edited by Prototypemind

Try harder.

You use a thread in the general forum as a reliable source of information? The article and the report behind it that the OP linked to certainly don't support what you claim here. They talk of 165 million revenue and that's it.

You use a thread in the general forum as a reliable source of information? The article and the report behind it that the OP linked to certainly don't support what you claim here. They talk of 165 million revenue and that's it.

I was going by the discussion in the thread. If it's wrong, it's wrong, I really don't care.

That just makes his post all the more valid. If this game pulled in somewhere in the realm of $300 Million, there should be even more in the way of returns going back into the game with regards to a few more devs and increased content roll out. Thus far the proof in the pudding is not looking too well on that end.

Amazing how common sense is left behind when people hop onto the interwebz. BioWare's initial budget for the game was @$200 million (estimated). It took 6 years to create the content they had at launch, and another 2 years to get up to the content we have now.

Amazingly enough, it doesn't matter how much money you throw at something, you can speed up the time of content development no more than you can speed up the rotation of the Earth by throwing tons of money at your respective religion's house of worship.

Amazing how common sense is left behind when people hop onto the interwebz. BioWare's initial budget for the game was @$200 million (estimated). It took 6 years to create the content they had at launch, and another 2 years to get up to the content we have now.

Amazingly enough, it doesn't matter how much money you throw at something, you can speed up the time of content development no more than you can speed up the rotation of the Earth by throwing tons of money at your respective religion's house of worship.

Yup... the only thing a big money generation does is guarantee (well, at least make it much more likely) that the game stays in active development and is not left to rot.

bla bla bla bla bla bla, especially with PVP.

That right there is why you will never be happy with this game.

You seem to think it's a PvP game.

It's not.

It's a PvE game with a PvP part to it. But PvP will never be the main focus of the game and will never garner enough attention from the Devs to satisfy your demands.

That right there is why you will never be happy with this game.

... [the quoted poster's issues] will never garner enough attention from the Devs to satisfy your demands.

You give him too much credit. I believe the only game he cares about is the one he plays here on the forums.

What strikes me as interesting is that ESO has ~770.000 subscribers. They had millions of people trying it out in open beta. It's certainly a far cry from the 2+ million sold units that SW:TOR boasted.

Three months after launch they have 770.000 subscribers (paying, no idea if they are active or not).

That's a far cry from what SW:TOR had three months after launch.

And this game was supposed to kill SW:TOR according to alot of people (who are still here btw).

I'm wondering how long before they go F2P.

As for the "four to five times the number of concurrent users in the open beta" in wildstar, that tells me nothing as I haven't been able to find any information on the number of concurrent users in the open beta.

But I get the feeling that Wildstar will draw far more people from WoW than it will from SW:TOR (and not just because we have fewer subscribers)

But I get the feeling that Wildstar will draw far more people from WoW than it will from SW:TOR (and not just because we have fewer subscribers)

So you are trying to say that Wildstar is drawing (or going to) a higher percentage from WoW than SWTOR ?

That's a bold claim, why do you believe so ?

139 million made from microtransations, 26 million made from subs (apparently)

Still, where's all this money going? It should be funding people to create more game content.

And "try harder"? Really? I've just proven a point, turn defender mode off and embrace logic. Also accept the truth in what i've said, no need to be upset about it.

Your move. :)

If that's the case they have around 150k subscribers, which is a much more believable number than the 2 million someone quoted earlier. They'd be advertising that everywhere were that the case.