Is the Sith Inquisitor story as bad as people say it is?

AedusWilson

I'll chime in and say that the inqusitor so far has been my favorite force user story. Only off courscant for the consular and DK for the SW, but finished the knight and it was basically a retread of the Luke skywalker story. Kinda meh.

Inquisitor was fun though the first jedi you "seduce" to the dark side but she really doesn't come over really annoyed the heck out of me. Like the actual apprentice though once you get him.

But yeah overall fav force user story though overall fav story still the Imperial agent.

1. I agree, although there was some cool traditional Jedi moments, the overall story was like you stated, MEH.

2. Yeah I hated the whole Ashara Zavros conversion. I ended up not using her with my Sith Assassin for long and I MAY try to use her with my Sorceress. It is much better and more traditional Dark Side like with the Sith Warrior and Jaesa.

3. I am on the fence with Imperial Agent, i hope it becomes more Cloak and Dagger like.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's average although...

not being able to turn Ashara to the dark side is total BS and still annoys me to this day.

I agree with the spoiler.

Personally if she was being so difficult, I would have killed her and of course, the game does not let you do that.

Well...I have oft stated that I think the Inquisitor gets the short (almost no) stick when it comes to the romance angle - both Ashara and Andronikos are complete wastes of their parent's bodily fluids. If romance does not interest you at all, Sith inquisitor is the way to go. The romance-designated companions are annoying, insipid, and boring - my sorceress is (game mechanics-wise) completely celibate, and that ain't never gonna change.

The other angles...

Zash sending the Inquisitor out to retrieve the artifacts of Tulak Hord makes sense, after a fashion - I didn't really have too much of an issue with that. Immortality at another's expense? I could see my sorceress appropriating that ritual for herself...after all, she has all the material components, and would save it against the day that absolutely no other method worked.

Thanaton, as someone else stated, makes little to no sense as an antagonist. He makes no moves against Zash, yet he's gunning for you as if on a whim? He could have made a decent antagonist, given a better justification, but as it stands, it feels forced. The one positive thing I will say is that the other Council members don't seem to take the kaggath seriously, if at all. Not even Marr, who is the sole one to say anything positive about him, intervenes when Ravage snaps Thanaton's neck (which is an honor that should have gone to the Inquisitor, to be quite honest).

The one part of the kaggath storyline I did appreciate is at the end, when the Inquisitor has the opportunity to purge the Pyramid of all of Thanaton's followers. I took it with no small relish, and post-storyline, my sorceress can be counted on to attempt to exterminate anyone who even mutters the word. A small part of her would certainly acknowledge that a kaggath is a waste of the Empire's time, energy, and resources, but more than that, she will always possess a raging, screaming hatred of the entire concept because it interfered with her rise to power, pointlessly endangered her life, and inconvenienced her. It's all about her, and always will be. If she could, she would pull Thanaton's spirit out of wherever it went to, and extinguish it, slowly and painfully.

And it's a good thing that Xalek is the inquisitor's formal apprentice. If at all possible mechanics-wise, I would be tempted to strap Ashara to a table and vivisect her. Never mind the atrocious romance angle that a male Inquisitor undoubtedly gets, Ashara's entire reason for even being aboard the ship is completely pointless. Had she been the vessel into which Zash had been poured (or even transferred to after the fact), that would have made some sense, but as it is, after she lured out her ancestor's spirit, her entire reason for being there went away and never came back.

Force Walking? Sure. It's not a bad concept, it isn't a bad storyline, and as someone pointed out, only the most powerful/talented/et cetera of Force Users can master it. That puts the SI head and shoulders above almost all other Sith (and Jedi). I can't really find any complaints about the concept. The execution of it is a bit clumsy at times, but there's never such a thing as 'perfect' in an MMO.

Plus I will agree with the contention that the storyline is geared towards a sorcerer/sorceress - the 'feel' of it just doesn't seem to suit an assassin (all the more reason I am glad I selected Sorcery after departing Korriban).

I personally like the story. I am playing my first SI ( Assassin ) and I really like the Whole scheaming and more interlectual aspect of the sith, but I agree that this would suit a scorcerer more so than an Assassin.

Romances and such is nothing I have really come to yet. And as for the followers I have to agree about the Jedi Girl, I never use her.

The characters I love most are apparently the ones who troll the audience. Liara was the first, and now it's Ashara. The fact that she's both unkillable and incorruptible satisfies me greatly. Shame that she's straight.

Anyway. I don't know if I'd call the Inquisitor story good as a whole, but it's certainly been the most fun for me. The voice acting is great, the companions (three of them, at least--Khem, Ashara and Talos) are great, the plot has a reasonable amount of cool aspects, and the backstory leads to some fascinating possibilities for characterization... especially for a light-sided character.

Ashara isn't what I'd call incorruptible. She arrives as a pretty bad jedi--or at least grey--and can neither improve much nor get dramatically worse. She has a temper, doesn't listen to instruction and lives for battle, disapproving if you avoid it. She's a lot closer to being a light side sith than a jedi. That doesn't make her a bad character, it makes her an interesting one. Khem is my sad morose pet and Talos is a bastion of stability in my stable of wingnuts, lol.

I personally love the Inquisitor story line until after the end where I've stated before all the interlude quests make me feel like a glorified helper monkey for the rest of the Empire. That said my character ended up getting the pure standing and not on purpose. It just seemed every time you had a choice between dark and light the light side made more sense logically, not even morally. I'll give an example.

Minor Spoiler

Black Talon Flashpoint

You get the choice to either spare of kill the captain of your ship right before you go into battle. Now to me this seems not about light or dark but about my own survival, I can either kill the Experienced, war veteran captain, or keep him in command. I'm chasing a warship in a transport ship for my own survival I feel leaving the captain in charge before engaging makes a lot more sense, then killing him and turning command over to his unexperienced Lt. It's not mercy guiding my hand it's self preservation. I feel that sparing him shouldn't get me light points it should just stay neutral but whatever doesn't really change game play.

Ashara isn't what I'd call incorruptible. She arrives as a pretty bad jedi--or at least grey--and can neither improve much nor get dramatically worse. She has a temper, doesn't listen to instruction and lives for battle, disapproving if you avoid it. She's a lot closer to being a light side sith than a jedi. That doesn't make her a bad character, it makes her an interesting one. Khem is my sad morose pet and Talos is a bastion of stability in my stable of wingnuts, lol.

I've literally never had her disapprove of me not entering battle. I've more or less had her glued to me since Quesh, and the only time I got major disapproval from her that I can recall was on Corellia, in a light-side choice to join battle by not letting the Corellian mole whose name I've forgotten blow his cover by distracting the Green Jedi.

Edited by Xilizhra

I started to like the Inquisitor story when I realised what it was. It's not Palpatine's story - it's Darth Bane's. Here's the question the story poses. What is a Sith? You get to decide your personal take on that question.

Here's your antagonists.

- Harkon, the unthinking bully who has too much faith in pure blood, and whose biased training methods are perhaps weakening the Sith as a whole.

- Skotia, the simplistic hierarchical brute. He's Thanaton's man, fixed on doing what he's told by those above him and looking down on those below him.

- Zash, the vain egotist. She's every bit of Palpatine's hypocrisy at seeking immortality and abandoning the Rule of Two, without any of his smarts or plans. She's afraid of death.

- Thanaton, the unbending traditionalist. He thinks that because things were done this way 1000 years ago, then the Sith should always do things this way. He looks at history and thinks he knows the Sith, but he has no energy, no vitality. The Dark Council are right to call him out on his lack of backbone and conviction.

All of these are what Sith should NOT be. Add in other folks, like the guy who tries to confront you outside the Dark Council chamber, or the nattering Sith nobles boring Zash in the Nexus cantina... Khem Val basically sums up the issue when he says - is this what the Sith have become?

So yes, it's Bane's story, to a point - one lone Sith underdog, scrabbling and crawling and fighting to survive, and that lone underdog becomes stronger, able to challenge the monolithic misguided organisation that is ruining the Sith - embodied in Thanaton. And through rising far enough to become a member of the Dark Council, you're in a position to give back what you've learned about what it takes to be a Sith, to the Sith Order as a whole.

That said my character ended up getting the pure standing and not on purpose. It just seemed every time you had a choice between dark and light the light side made more sense logically, not even morally.

If you look at it from the point of view that the morality system isn't really about your character's internal alignment, but more about an external alignment, with the Dark Side options being about causing as much chaos, uncertainty and fear as possible, thus making the Dark Side (and you) more powerful... then yes, if you take the logical course every time, you're actually inhibiting the Dark Side's growth.

Edited by smartalectwo

The sad thing about Darth Thanaton is that he actually raises two very valid points: Sith probably shouldn't be allowed to advance by killing their superiors, and superweapons are, more often than not, wastes of time and resources. Though he was probably right for the wrong reasons in both cases.

I do wonder how Darth Nox is supposed to change things, though; is Nox not more of the same? Darth Imperius seems like she'd have a far better chance of it... assuming any sort of political games were ever featured in this thing, of course.

Also, why is the leader of the Sphere of Ancient Knowledge constantly getting called in to do military fieldwork? Is she really just the most powerful Sith on the Council and thus the best-suited to blowing things up?

I can answer both those, maybe, with the same point.

The difference is that Nox Gets Job Done. If you've consistently played as the Dark-Side Inquisitor, then once you've set a goal, you don't stop until you've finished. Traditions, alliances, respect, the lives of friends, the sanctity or biology of his/her own body; there is nothing that Nox will not discard or sacrifice in the name of success, and no act that Nox considers too base or depraved if it'll get Nox to where Nox wants to be.

It's very much the opposite of Thanaton's view, who sees too many things as sacred. It's an attitude that could potentially transform the Sith, by pointing out what about the Sith and the Empire is useless, irrelevant, or just dead wood. A five-thousand-year-old tradition? Sounds nice, but is it helping us now? If not - get rid of it.

Makes sense Marr'd call on someone Who Gets The Job Done, when he's got a Job that needs Doing.

As an aside, something I like about the composition of the Inquisitor story is that it has two 'bookends' that open and close the story of the Inquisitor in a very nice way.

The first is the opening of the tomb of Tulak Hord. The Inquisitor is blasted by lightning from the Sith door mechanism without prior warning, and is clearly hurting and almost overwhelmed, but he/she finds the strength to stand up, take the pain, and open the door. That's a metaphor for the Inquisitor's whole story - taking the pain to open up opportunity.

And at the end, what happens? Thanaton blasts the Inquisitor with the lightning blast to end all lightning blasts, and the Inquisitor... doesn't even seem fazed. I've been through all that, the scene says, and I am strong because of it. Stronger than you.

Edited by smartalectwo

And forgetting details like that thanks to the time lapse between my starting and finishing this story is why I'm replaying it now. I still think, though, that the Emperor's Wrath and a non-lightsided Cipher Nine are the two characters who make the most sense to be Marr's go-to agent; the Forcewalker is a Dark Council member and presumably has a lot of political issues to handle, not to mention also running the Sphere of Ancient Knowledge herself, and the Grand Champion of the Great Hunt isn't really an Imperial (and, like Cipher Nine, can turn against the Empire at the end).

I've played through warrior twice and inquisitor once. By Nar Shaddaa I thought to myself "Why didn't I find this sooner!?!" the main reason is it was what i was looking for. I, for one, could care less about being the emperors wrath, especially in the endgame, you just feel useless as a character. Old wrinkly is gone, and you're left the enforcer with nothing to enforce, so you just become darth marr's newest weapon. I love the inquisitors personality, I always rp as a mildly disturbed character, but the inquisitor is crazy and I loved it. It's like you are the sith equivalent of the joker. And I, for one, prefer to be rewarded at the end of my story, and joining the dark council the whole empire has been crying about for the whole game was extremely gratifying. And while the warrior had its moments, several of my inquisitors comments made me laugh out loud. The warriors story was indeed better written, but I found the inquisitors character and flow of the story, if not the story itself, to be well worth it. I'm presently working on my second inquisitor and it's even better the second time.

I found the Warrior boring almost instantly, because I rolled a Jedi first, and stopped before I even left Korriban.

Agent, so far so good.

Bounty Hunter starts off strong but now I find mine to be really boring. Just going around hunting bounties and having all these filler missions to do.

I'm deeply enjoying Sith Inquisitor however. I recommend it.

And forgetting details like that thanks to the time lapse between my starting and finishing this story is why I'm replaying it now. I still think, though, that the Emperor's Wrath and a non-lightsided Cipher Nine are the two characters who make the most sense to be Marr's go-to agent; the Forcewalker is a Dark Council member and presumably has a lot of political issues to handle, not to mention also running the Sphere of Ancient Knowledge herself, and the Grand Champion of the Great Hunt isn't really an Imperial (and, like Cipher Nine, can turn against the Empire at the end).

Although, the BH doesn't have many options. On one hand, the Jedi and SIS both either want to stick you in a cell or put a scorching hole through your head. While on the Empire side, not all Sith are trying to bend you over a barrel and some, like Marr, are more progressive than the rest and understand that their constant in-house feuding has really F**ked them over. nvm that most of the Dark Council members have their heads so far up their buttocks that they can't see how screwed over they really are.

And while the Heir of Kallig does have to attend to Hir sphere, it hasn't stopped any of the other Council members from getting into the heat of the action. And while Cipher 9 could hurt the Empire and betray it, it'd be of no real benefit to hir since C9's only option after doing that would be to go into hiding forever since the Republic is just as likely to hunt hir down as the Empire would be. Even trying to play Neutral with both factions can still rub'em the wrong way and you don't wanna burn all your bridges down without someway to escape the tide of $hit that'd cause.

As for the Wrath, despite being technically on the same level as the Dark Council and not needing to take orders from anyone, Shi still takes orders anyway despite hir only real job to be policing the Sith from behind the scenes to keep them from screwing over the whole order and, more importantly, the Emperor who's stuck in limbo or something. The only one in a direct position to keep everything from going to pot is the Heir of Kallig. Although the Wrath and HoK could end up working together to straighten the rest of the Dark Council out and that Marr is probably the only one among them with any common sense.

Nvm that the HoK could even bring to the table an amendment to allow freedom to slaves in exchange for military service. The Sith Empire is being forced to change in order to survive and one of the things keeping it from functioning effectively is their laws concerning slavery. The main problem being they lose so many candidates in the Sith Academy due to *****s like Tremel and Harkun that the Empire is essentially throwing away help. The same with all other slaves in the Empire, which spends so much forcing them to work and feeding them and breeding revolts and rebellion from abusing them so much that they could actually give them Citizenship and enlist them, potentially doubling or tripling their forces overnight.

Although I haven't finished the SI storyline yet, personally I'm loving it. Playing mostly light side creates an interesting dynamic when caught in the middle of a dark side centered Empire. What really helps the story along is the fact that I turned off the alignment indicators and focused more on the mind set of the character rather then whether the decision is light or dark. In my head I see my SI as someone who does what is necessary to survive, but hasn't let that define her. She let's her conscious guide her decisions for the most part, but don't get her mad. Whether it's her razor tongue or her pretty purple lightening that sends enemies writhing into painful convulsions she's no pushover.

• 2 weeks later...

I played a darkside light side mix with the inquisitor. Hard not to when you RP. Character is a former slave after all.

I do agree the story's great. I think the first ark of training is where people have the problem. I personally liked it, although it was my first character.

Dark side options make him sound crazy but overall he comes across the same as a light side crazier. Practical. He gets the job done. I liked Ashara's question at one point. "What did you want to be before you became Sith."

"Not a slave." Damn right.

Honestly my headcanon is the middle option. Darth Oculus. inscrutable. Neither light nor dark. Imperious is for serving the goals of the empire before myself, or at the very least not randomly killing people for no reason, light. And Nox is for being a dark side user and being self serving.

Biggest sad moment for me was the end of the whole Revan thing. They could have done so much more. Very disappointing. The whole order of revan thing was great. Especially how them living is a rare canon light side option now. They are the ones who give Revan back his mask.

I enjoyed the story, though of course it's not perfect. As has been mentioned, Inq has some fun and sometimes hilarious dialogue. Also, after the end of Act 1, I really feel like my own master, instead of some flunky. Yes, you're still doing what other people tell you to do, but that's the nature of an on-rails MMO.

Also, the cutscene after the final battle of Act 3 is EPIC. Music played just right, for dramatic effect, showcasing the infathomable power of the Inq, etc.

The things I didn't like about the story have already been pointed out, but I will summarize a few:

1. You can't convert Ashara fully to the DS, which is total BS. Her combat dialogue is also insipid and makes me want to wring her neck. NO ONE CARES IF YOU WERE THE BEST DUELIST IN YOUR CLASS, girl, this is the real world!

2. You don't kill Thanaton. Instead, Darth Ravage finishes him off with a telekinetic neck snap. Wth was BW thinking, to take that satisfaction from us?

3. Why is the Silencer immediately forgotten? Not only is it a super weapon, it's possibly the most practical super weapon in the game/EU. Destroying planets is useless, destroying enemy fleets in one shot is much more militarily valuable. Plus, it's small and cheap enough, compared to other super weapons, that it can be mounted on a capital ship and reproduced on multiple ships. Such a great idea gone to waste.

Also, to those who say that the Inq is not very powerful, I offer these rebuttals:

1. As a mere acolyte, he defeats and binds to him a freaking Dashade, a fearsome alien assassin who eats Force users for breakfast. It is said more than once that having a Dashade servant is a high status symbol simply because they're so hard to defeat, much less control.

2. As an apprentice, he kills a Darth.

3. He is able to learn and survive the using of the ghost-binding ability, of which it is stated only extremely powerful Force-users can learn, much less master.

4. He holds back a lightsaber blow, delivered by no less than a Dark Council member, using telekinesis alone.

I enjoyed the story, though of course it's not perfect. As has been mentioned, Inq has some fun and sometimes hilarious dialogue. Also, after the end of Act 1, I really feel like my own master, instead of some flunky. Yes, you're still doing what other people tell you to do, but that's the nature of an on-rails MMO.

Also, the cutscene after the final battle of Act 3 is EPIC. Music played just right, for dramatic effect, showcasing the infathomable power of the Inq, etc.

The things I didn't like about the story have already been pointed out, but I will summarize a few:

1. You can't convert Ashara fully to the DS, which is total BS. Her combat dialogue is also insipid and makes me want to wring her neck. NO ONE CARES IF YOU WERE THE BEST DUELIST IN YOUR CLASS, girl, this is the real world!

2. You don't kill Thanaton. Instead, Darth Ravage finishes him off with a telekinetic neck snap. Wth was BW thinking, to take that satisfaction from us?

3. Why is the Silencer immediately forgotten? Not only is it a super weapon, it's possibly the most practical super weapon in the game/EU. Destroying planets is useless, destroying enemy fleets in one shot is much more militarily valuable. Plus, it's small and cheap enough, compared to other super weapons, that it can be mounted on a capital ship and reproduced on multiple ships. Such a great idea gone to waste.

Also, to those who say that the Inq is not very powerful, I offer these rebuttals:

1. As a mere acolyte, he defeats and binds to him a freaking Dashade, a fearsome alien assassin who eats Force users for breakfast. It is said more than once that having a Dashade servant is a high status symbol simply because they're so hard to defeat, much less control.

2. As an apprentice, he kills a Darth.

3. He is able to learn and survive the using of the ghost-binding ability, of which it is stated only extremely powerful Force-users can learn, much less master.

4. He holds back a lightsaber blow, delivered by no less than a Dark Council member, using telekinesis alone.

For the things you dislike...

1. Would you complain about being unable to redeem Lord Scourge? Ashara is simply less susceptible to corruption than Jaesa.

2. To show that the Dark Council had fully turned against Darth Thanaton.

3. It's not relevant to the ground engagement on Corellia. However, there's no reason it couldn't appear in future content.

I agree about Ashara. It's cool that you can't turn her. It's pretty important that you can't. In fact...

Kind of like Talos Ashara swears herself to you and your future apprentices and family. Saying that she'll train them in both the Jedi and Sith ways. Marking her as one of a few rare, but getting more common, grey force users who use both sides of the force.

I get the feeling that people who like the inquisitor storyline, are leaning more toward lightside. I wonder if this is true.

Nope, my Inquisitor is very Darkside at the end of the story.

I like the Inquisitor story because it's a story where the character basically starts from scratch, right at the bottom.

It's actually a darkside story worth watching/playing...as you're not just this crazy powerful, bad***, puppy kicking, Sith right away...like the Warrior.

The story and choices (even if superficial) mean more in the Inquisitor story...because the Inquisitor, out of any of the four Force using classes, could legitimately become either LS or DS.

For me, I played my Inquisitor where there was a gradual descent into complete darkness...and the storyline actually allows for something like this to be completely believable, unlike any other Force using class.

This is why, in my opinion, the Inquisitor story is one of the best...because it's the most personal, and most character shaping of all the stories I've played.

Edited by VitalityPrime

I also have a DS Inq, and loved the story. Although I'm pragmatic rather than sadistic. Like that Quell poison Lord what's-his-name wants you to use on rebel slaves on DK. It's far more pragmatic to just kill them and end the revolt, not be senselessly sadistic. But make no mistake, I'm a power-hungry bastard... Just a sensible one. I stand behind Darth Marr's leadership at the end of Makeb, because a coup now would only further weaken the Empire that I wish to control ;)

The Sith Inquisitor Sorcerer "Krushya" is my 1st character and is my favorite. I enjoyed the character story as he struggles to bring himself from a low position to a high position. He is fully Dark Sided. While I consider myself a descent guy in real life, I can relate to wanting the power to dominate over and destroy any opposition. I don't want to give spoilers. Forgive me. I love Khem Val. He is my favorite of all companions. Edited by Darth_Krushya
spelling, grammar, more info.