PvP Assault VG Gearing

Suundown

Which stats should I be getting and which gear should I pick up from the vendor?
Grab the eliminator set(4 piece)+aim augments+grab the Implants and earpiece with power/surge + main stat and power relics+every single mod and enhancement in ur gear you have to upgrade them to power/surge (the one with most power is Best in Slot).

As an assault VG with 2/4 Brut pieces i feel very, squishy, even with RS up i still melt far too quickly for my liking.

Anyone else have this?

What other classes have you a lot of experience in besides VG? Have you PvPed a lot in any other DPS class, such as Maurader/Sentinel or Operative/Scoundrel? Trying to base your experience with multiple classes, as I personally find vanguard/powertech one of the strongest dps classes I've played so far. Keep in mind that any class will be squishy when being single targeted.

dude you really need to lay off the crit

Thats what you think but:

Prior to patch 2.8, optimal crit for Assault was ~230 in obroan gear

Patch 2.8 brough a huge boost to the value of crit due to the DoT Damage boost

I added a single piece of crit for brutalizer, so sue me.

Those numbers for crit are good for PvP. Im actually running even more than that, but thats cause I stupidly went with the combat techs bonus a while ago and said "Screw it, lets get a 50% crit rate on stockstrike"

Now if it weren't for bolster boosting the power of the mainhand/offhand, and how good the relics are, I'd say no crit.

But the mainhand/offhand are boosted heavily by bolster to prevent a 186 barrel/armoring being BiS for PvP, so it inflates the value of crit rating. Also ~350 crit is no where near as bad as my actual 451 crit rating, and I find I still do decent enough DPS in arenas and warzones to be a contribution to the team.

Edited by TACeMossie

Crit is a sensitive topic I see, because it's very contentious point of debate for Shadow/Assasins as well. I think that it highly depends on playstyle and how much about luck you want to make it. You could get really lucky without much crit and hit as hard as possible with all power/surge, or you could minimize the luck required by averaging out your crit chances with higher crit in gear.

I would say it is safe to go 200-350 range in PvP but someone could just as easily go 400-500 and try to maximize their DoTs to crit. The question then becomes how truly effective it is in a PvP scenario where anything is happening at any time. Based on those wildy varied scenarios that can occur, how much chance is there to take advantage of crit, where power/surge is more consistent increase? Then when you start to lower your crit, while still having some, how much does it lose its effectiveness to where having any is really just a moot point?

I always like having a little bit of it regardless. I am not sure if it's a mental thing or what.

Edited by undiess

Maximise crits for DOTS? Uhm guys this is PvP not PvE, in PvP burst comes 1st, fast switches wins you games in ranked, dots can be cleansed, burst hits u in the face and drops you, the dots on this spec are here just to help our sustained dmg, sounds to me as your concern is number hunting with fluff dmg easily cleanseable and healed through rather then effectively killing someone ASAP leaving them as little time as possible to counter you.

You don`t need to stack any crit at all as pyro/assault spec as you can grab enough of it via skill tree build(+3 tech crit from cylinder CGC+3 tech crit from Burnout and+2 crit from critical venting and the set bonus and when Explosive Fuel is available your crit stacking is even more then useless.

Just from that i got 21% Ranged crit(effects white dmg Rapid Shots/Railshot + the 15% extra crit chance on Railshot from 4pc set) and 27% tech crit(from not investing a single crit mod,relic,earpiece or implant with crit whatsoever) and crit has Diminishing returns from 25% upwards while power has no DR.

The crit stat was butchered by Bioware in 2.0, pre 2.0 everybody could stack crit up to 35% with no penalties then dropped it to 25% post 2.0 since then Power>Crit

Edited by iDraxter

Maximise crits for DOTS? Uhm guys this is PvP not PvE, in PvP burst comes 1st, fast switches wins you games in ranked, dots can be cleansed, burst hits u in the face and drops you, the dots on this spec are here just to help our sustained dmg, sounds to me as your concern is number hunting with fluff dmg easily cleanseable and healed through rather then effectively killing someone ASAP leaving them as little time as possible to counter you.

You don`t need to stack any crit at all as pyro/assault spec as you can grab enough of it via skill tree build(+3 tech crit from cylinder CGC+3 tech crit from Burnout and+2 crit from critical venting and the set bonus and when Explosive Fuel is available your crit stacking is even more then useless.

Just from that i got 21% Ranged crit(effects white dmg Rapid Shots/Railshot + the 15% extra crit chance on Railshot from 4pc set) and 27% tech crit(from not investing a single crit mod,relic,earpiece or implant with crit whatsoever) and crit has Diminishing returns from 25% upwards while power has no DR.

The crit stat was butchered by Bioware in 2.0, pre 2.0 everybody could stack crit up to 35% with no penalties then dropped it to 25% post 2.0 since then Power>Crit

Diminishing returns from crit/surge/alacrity:

http://i.imgur.com/yDA34pg.jpg

As you can see, crit is almost a straight line up until the ~1100 mark. Max crit in Beserker gear is about ~1200 Crit.

At the start of 2.0, crit wasn't recommended, because its effectiveness was halved from pre-2.0 when you hit level 55, while power remained unchanged, and we didn't have the benefits of the focused retribution/serendipitous assault relic combo.

But now we are hitting a gear level where we can once again get crit. Im gonna quote Rydarus on crit:

Power is better than crit on a 1 to 1 ratio, but the statpool ratio is different, because the amount of crit increases the chance you multiply power. It's like a seesaw in a way. The more power you have, the higher the odds crit becomes useful. It's kinda like cheese sauce sucks on it's own, but the more nacho chips you have, the more the cheese sauce makes sense on the nacho chips.

I mean sure, we're not at the 35% crit rate level yet, but we are getting close. Dread masters gear is recommended 31% ranged/37% tech for PvE (+10% crit rate from crit rating - diminishing returns for crit rating don't come in till you hit +15%), and PvP is only slightly behind because its mainhand and offhand are bolstered up to prevent a 186 mainhand/offhand from being BiS in PvP, as well as Beserker Relics are much stronger than the underworld relics (the BiS relics back when crit was told NO, NONE OF THAT). Also back then Ion Pulse didn't have a surge bonus in Assault tree, and Assault Plastique sucked so no one even bothered grabbing it.

Oh and the DoT boost was a boost to sustained of 14.28% - which means it boosts our burst by ~8.33% - and thats a substantial amount, especially when you consider 2/3 of those come automatically with our high burst abilities (Assault Plastique/Stockstrike/High Impact Bolt)

Edited by TACeMossie

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.