Rage Quit

I have to disagree with you on this point. There are times for some of us that Real Life takes precedence over the game. I know for me, there are times where I have to take care of things outside the game and have to quit matches because of it. In addition, there are some times that certain players quit a match to make a point. I know a few Ebon Hawk players (myself included) who will quit a match if their own team rolls out a gunship or bomber festival (which I define as more than 1 or 2 bombers/gunships per squad), on the principle that those matches are fun for no one on either side except those who need to stroke their own egos by demolishing the opposition.

So their are legitimate reasons to quit a game that is in progress. If you are rage quitting because you are getting curb-stomped, or because you are getting focused, or just shot up, that is a problem, but do you really want that player on your team anyway?

I understand why you would quit, however, dropping once the match has started doesn't just make your point, it punishes the person backfilled to replace you. In the past few days I've had numerous ques pop only to show me the final DEFEAT screen. Wastes my time and counts as a loss for me. Shouldn't whoever quit share some of that pain?

I have to disagree with you on this point. There are times for some of us that Real Life takes precedence over the game.

So? A lot of real life things happen, it doesn't mean the game has to tolerate or reward them.

In addition, there are some times that certain players quit a match to make a point. I know a few Ebon Hawk players (myself included) who will quit a match if their own team rolls out a gunship or bomber festival (which I define as more than 1 or 2 bombers/gunships per squad), on the principle that those matches are fun for no one on either side except those who need to stroke their own egos by demolishing the opposition.

This is actually a really great argument for what the OP is saying. Your political agenda in trying to crash a match should be punished by the game more than it currently is.

So their are legitimate reasons to quit a game that is in progress.

"You might be angry that people on one of the teams might be better than you, so you should quit out of bad sportsmanship and rage."

Agreed. Either req punishment or Deserter debuff, as it is/was in WoW. If you have RL to take care of, it's just 1 game you'll leave and won't be that severely punished, but if you're constantly leaving to prevent yourself from getting killed...

In addition, there are some times that certain players quit a match to make a point. I know a few Ebon Hawk players (myself included) who will quit a match if their own team rolls out a gunship or bomber festival (which I define as more than 1 or 2 bombers/gunships per squad), on the principle that those matches are fun for no one on either side except those who need to stroke their own egos by demolishing the opposition.

If you have not learned flexible to deal with any situation not play PVP. The same applies if you have not learned to lose.

So? A lot of real life things happen, it doesn't mean the game has to tolerate or reward them.

How does it reward them in this instance? I thought you wouldn't get anything (other than possibly your win/loss ratio getting marginally worse) if you quit a game in progress.

:)

This is actually a really great argument for what the OP is saying. Your political agenda in trying to crash a match should be punished by the game more than it currently is.

"You might be angry that people on one of the teams might be better than you, so you should quit out of bad sportsmanship and rage."

Actually, the latter is a specific example of what I was saying is not a good reason for quitting a match. If you quit because you're getting killed, or because you won't top the boards, or because the other team is winning, I think you're wrong to do so. But if you're that type of player, I'd rather you quit than self destruct or not contribute. That huts the team far worse.

If my team is losing, or I'm getting killed, etc., I stick with the match until the end, even if the other team is the Bastion Gunsheep squad and we're getting crushed (though I might, after the match, swap sides to ask them to play nicer). It is when my own team starts to roll out the gunship or bomber full squad that I request them to play with a little more class, then quit in protest of the match. My goal is not to punish anyone, but rather a statement that I won't participate in classless play. I have better things to do with my time than support a bunch of jerks (which is what I consider rolling out a full squad of bombers/gunships to be).

In addition, some of us enjoy the game for more than just the competitiveness of it, though that is a factor. I enjoy the community on TEH, the chance to fly a space fighter...and I do like matching wits and skill with other pilots. But that said, I'm not (as someone said in another thread, or maybe GSF chat), I'm not a kid out of school who has nothing to do with my time. When something comes up IRL, I have responsibilities that I have to take care of. The game should not punish that.

Quitting in the middle of the PvP match should always count as a loss, true. As for penalizing the people's req or debuffing them - i'd say not getting any req from the match is penalty enough, especially considering that, as the above poster said - there are thing in RL that sometimes take over, wether you want it or not. :(

In fact currently (not considering win/loss ratio of course) - its any way more profitable to fly a match or WZ to the bitter end, then ragequit in the middle of it. Even if you are absolutely not making any difference to the team. Though I wish there was a "surrender vote" or such to speed things up, as quite often one side is clearly dominant (thanks the matchmaking =) ).

Edited by Mad_yojik

Loss is a sure thing, I thought it already worked like that?

And, a debuff preventing re-queue for 5, 10 or 15 minutes, or just until that match ends.

Those who will quit game for IRL stuff are reasonable enough to accept one loss on their account (who cares, anyways), and the 10 min debuff will sure not harm them, they went to do IRL stuff anyways.

Those who ragequit because they are cowards won't be able to re-queue stright away. Which is good to prevent them from attempting to "choose a match".

Agree with the Real Life issues. I had to quit a match last night just before it kicked off simply because I had a phone call from a close friend that I couldn't ignore. Frustrated that I couldn't do the match, but having the flexibility to ditch when needed is important to me.

That being said, I can't say that I've ever RAGE quit before. Even when things looked stacked against me I stick around. Knowing that, having a penalty due only to real life issues would literally frustrate me beyond belief. Example, I got my butt handed to me by Syberi and another gunship where I went 5-9 or something in my K/D ratio and were clearly dominated 3 sats to 0... I didn't leave and I stuck around to fight it out - despite the ***-handing we received. Was frustrating as they tag-teamed everything and I think Syberi ended up 22-5, but I still stuck around.

Edited by Cekis

For what it is worth, I think the current system is (mostly) fine. I have seen some exploitative behavior.

Did you leave because your team was outmatched? I don't really blame anyone for that.

Did you leave because you were being tunneled and your team doesn't even try to help? Again, I don't think that's bad.

Did you leave because RL? Nothing to be done.

But I've seen groups leave in wads to try to get the other team to get a loss. I saw a game launch with 8 on one team and 8 on the other, and about three seconds in we got the thirty second warning, with FOUR of them having left. It backfilled one spot before the game ended. We got a win (we scored seconds before time ran out), but it's clear that this was deliberate.

Likewise, I wouldn't want to punish an honest player who feels helpless because the alternatives are he doesn't spawn (which hurts his team way worse than a leave, because he can't be backfilled) or he suicides until the game ends (which I then have to report, wasting my time and a GM's time, and hurting his team in the short term until the banhammer starts swinging).

But the sentiment of OP is reasonable- it's frustrating when people rage quit, on your team or theirs.

Why'd there be a need for punishment for leaving? That would discourage players from queuing at times where they are not completely sure they can stay in the match.

I for one play GSF while waiting for ranked, and a lot of times I have to leave the match early, but does that mean that I didn't contribute to my team? Of course it doesn't. So stop being righteous about a damn game, Jesus. Everything won't line up as you want it to; get used to it. Humans survived by adapting, not by changing the enviroment.

Humans survived by adapting, not by changing the environment.

I'm sorry but this is just flat out wrong. Humans adapt by changing the environment. The ability to alter our environment to suit our own needs (agriculture for example) not only made us the dominant species but is arguably part of what defines humanity .

That said I actually agree with your overall point.

Why'd there be a need for punishment for leaving? That would discourage players from queuing at times where they are not completely sure they can stay in the match.

That would be lovely. I would really like it if people didn't queue if they weren't ready to commit to a match.

I for one play GSF while waiting for ranked, and a lot of times I have to leave the match early, but does that mean that I didn't contribute to my team? Of course it doesn't. So stop being righteous about a damn game, Jesus. Everything won't line up as you want it to; get used to it. Humans survived by adapting, not by changing the enviroment.

Yes, you contribute by leaving them a player down for an indeterminate amount of time. How charitable of you! I'm so glad that you could fill your idle time waiting for something you care about dicking around in gsf. Mother Teresa move over, ToMyMa is comin' through!

You'll notice that your completely asinine argument about "adapting" applies equally to any time you're an ******e to anyone else. "Didn't like me cutting you off in traffic? Humans survived by adapting!" "What, you're mad that I didn't show up when I promised I would? Humans survived by adapting!"

You must be a real winner. I'm sure you have many (very adaptable!) friends.

I'm sorry but this is just flat out wrong. Humans adapt by changing the environment. The ability to alter our environment to suit our own needs (agriculture for example) not only made us the dominant species but is arguably part of what defines humanity .

That said I actually agree with your overall point.

My case in point with that we adapt to change was more geologically/general climate (example with agriculture: you can't exactly plant pineapples on the North Pole (exaggerated, I know, but still), so we are still very much dependant on our enviroment). Also, ifthe thermal expansion of water continues there isn't exactly much we can do about that at that moment.

And to poster above me - I was talking about the physical enviroment...

And to poster above me - I was talking about the physical enviroment...

... So people leaving matches without penalty is part of the physical environment (or "enviroment," as you call it)? If not, how is your comment about adapting relevant in any way?

... So people leaving matches without penalty is part of the physical environment (or "enviroment," as you call it)? If not, how is your comment about adapting relevant in any way?

No, the enviroment is, that all players have equal rights (I know the world is unfair and inqueal, and as such people should not be equal in some ways per definition, but this isn't the real world, it's ToR, and therefore ignoring this definition can be achieved), and therefore they all have the right to leave and enter as they please.

A lot of games cater to the casuals and the majority of games are filled with casuals; so is this game. Casual = Life before game.

This game chose not to penalise leaving, with the exception of ranked matches, since it caters to the casuals.

This game chose not to penalise leaving, with the exception of ranked matches, since it caters to the casuals.

Leaving a GSF match causes a loss to appear on your Battle Record (akin to desertion).

Edited by TrinityLyre

Leaving a GSF match causes a loss to appear on your Battle Record (akin to desertion).

Ahh, this I did not know.

But isn't that the same with nwz, hmm? Because searching my mind I THINK it's that way (although, iirc, you can't see another guy's nwz battle record :p) with nwzs.

Anyways, it doesn't change my point, as in no way does GSF diverge from it's ground counterpart in regards to rewards (minus MVPs).

Edited by ToMyMa

I think if you quit a certain amount of times mid-game, then you should get punished. Like others have said, sometimes you have to do something in real life. I was thinking maybe if you quit mid-game 5 times in one week, you will start loosing rep.