Cosmetic Gear

hazzomar

I would like to see some type of cosmetic gear added to the game, where it would allow you to keep the augments and mods on your current gear and at the same time being able to wear cosmetic gear over your battle gear. Tnere needs to be an option to select the cosmetic gear to show, or let your battle gear show, through an option to click. The reason for cosmetic gear is that it can usually be better looking than your battle gear, and it will also allow us to change the look of our character more often, since you would not have to change out mods and augments when changing your look. Plenty other games have it, why not swtor? It would be a great addition to the game. Edited by hazzomar
wanted to add this

I would like to see some type of cosmetic gear added to the game, where it would allow you to keep the augments and mods on your current gear and at the same time being able to wear cosmetic gear over your battle gear. Tnere needs to be an option to select the cosmetic gear to show, or let your battle gear show, through an option to click. The reason for cosmetic gear is that it can usually be better looking than your battle gear, and it will also allow us to change the look of our character more often, since you would not have to change out mods and augments when changing your look. Plenty other games have it, why not swtor? It would be a great addition to the game.

You may be interested in this thread:

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=731747

Give it a visit and comment. By consolidating into one larger thread we can get more attention.

I would like to see some type of cosmetic gear added to the game, where it would allow you to keep the augments and mods on your current gear and at the same time being able to wear cosmetic gear over your battle gear. Tnere needs to be an option to select the cosmetic gear to show, or let your battle gear show, through an option to click. The reason for cosmetic gear is that it can usually be better looking than your battle gear, and it will also allow us to change the look of our character more often, since you would not have to change out mods and augments when changing your look. Plenty other games have it, why not swtor? It would be a great addition to the game.

You can look almost any way you want to look. It is not free, though. There is a cost involved. It's a credit sink, and a highly effective one.

I would not expect BW to remove that highly effective credit sink, or allow it to be bypassed.

You can look almost any way you want to look. It is not free, though. There is a cost involved. It's a credit sink, and a highly effective one.

I would not expect BW to remove that highly effective credit sink, or allow it to be bypassed.

The problem is that many of us have multiple 55s now. With legacy gear there are just so few options available. Wardrobe would really help us to look like the star wars characters we want to look like. They could add the wardrobe option into the cartel market for several thousand CC for all I care. I just want my sorc to look different than my shadow.

BTW, warbdrobe will still require me to pull out mods/etc. to put into my legacy gear like I already do.

Hell, swtor could even do something like bringing out new legacy gear and saying it can change shape and then allowing wardrobe with it. I think that is dumb but it would keep the credit sink as is.

What I think they should do though is just add legacy-wide wardrobe unlocks to the Cartel Market. This would make them a lot of money and make people like me very happy. I would pay A LOT for this.

Edited by DarthRaika

Yes, it is so effective that we don't change our looks.

It costs a million credits to change my appearance (augment slots being the biggest single cost). That isn't a credit sink, that is insane. 50k would be a credit sink and I'd pay that. As a sub, it shouldn't cost anything, after all, skill respecs are free for subs, why not appearance changes?

Yes, it is so effective that we don't change our looks.

It costs a million credits to change my appearance (augment slots being the biggest single cost). That isn't a credit sink, that is insane. 50k would be a credit sink and I'd pay that. As a sub, it shouldn't cost anything, after all, skill respecs are free for subs, why not appearance changes?

I may be wrong, but it would seem that many DO change their looks, if the success of the CM is any indication.

You can avoid the credit sink, but "price" you pay to avoid the credit sink is fewer options regarding appearances with legacy gear.

As I said in another post, it would appear that BW set it up so that you can look however you want, or you can save the credits. You cannot do both.

Seldom can one have their cake and eat it, too.

I may be wrong, but it would seem that many DO change their looks, if the success of the CM is any indication.

You can avoid the credit sink, but "price" you pay to avoid the credit sink is fewer options regarding appearances with legacy gear.

As I said in another post, it would appear that BW set it up so that you can look however you want, or you can save the credits. You cannot do both.

Seldom can one have their cake and eat it, too.

If I had the wardrobe option (which I would pay A LOT for) then I would buy any CM equipment that looked good to me. The issue I have is that I have multiple chars and so I use a lot of legacy gear which is ugly. I don't even wear my ranked equipment since it isn't (and obviously should not be) legacy gear.

So if they added wardrobe I would buy a lot more coins than I already do. I think a lot of people would actually spend more in the cartel market this way. Now you are correct that they would spend less credits and many people (like me) get our credits from buying cartel coins, however I know that I would personally spend more irl money if wardrobe was added so that I could always look like I want to. I think this would be the case for many others as well.

This is Star Wars and we all love Star Wars and I'm sure we all have a Star Wars look we would love to have.

Also, many mmos have credit sinks and cash shops alongside a wardrobe option.

Edited by DarthRaika

If I had the wardrobe option (which I would pay A LOT for) then I would buy any CM equipment that looked good to me. The issue I have is that I have multiple chars and so I use a lot of legacy gear which is ugly. I don't even wear my ranked equipment since it isn't (and obviously should not be) legacy gear.

This is exactly the point. You are choosing to save your credits, but the "cost" you pay is fewer looks from which to choose. You have the option now to look almost any way you want to look, but it will cost you credits.

It seems that BW has set it up so that you cannot have your cake and eat it, too.

So if they added wardrobe I would buy a lot more coins than I already do. I think a lot of people would actually spend more in the cartel market this way. Now you are correct that they would spend less credits and many people (like me) get our credits from buying cartel coins, however I know that I would personally spend more irl money if wardrobe was added so that I could always look like I want to. I think this would be the case for many others as well.

This is Star Wars and we all love Star Wars and I'm sure we all have a Star Wars look we would love to have.

Also, many mmos have credit sinks and cash shops alongside a wardrobe option.

You might make more ONE TIME purchases of new gear if BW allowed that existing credit sink to be bypassed. You have already said that you don't pay the credits to change your look now, choosing instead to look "ugly", in your words.

Not every player is unwilling to pay the cost to look the way they want to look. I would guess that for every player that chooses not to look the way they want to look in order to save a few credits, there is at least one player who will pay those credits to have the look they want and is buying all those different looks.

OK, does anyone who wants this have a realistic solution to undermining the biggest credit sink in the game? There has to be one or inflation would get completely out of control. I know what it was before there was cartel market and unlike this one, it was unavoidable. I don't think many would like to go back to the days of massive repair bills, but that's likely what would happen if pulling mods didn't do it anymore.

This is exactly the point. You are choosing to save your credits, but the "cost" you pay is fewer looks from which to choose. You have the option now to look almost any way you want to look, but it will cost you credits.

It seems that BW has set it up so that you cannot have your cake and eat it, too.

You might make more ONE TIME purchases of new gear if BW allowed that existing credit sink to be bypassed. You have already said that you don't pay the credits to change your look now, choosing instead to look "ugly", in your words.

Not every player is unwilling to pay the cost to look the way they want to look. I would guess that for every player that chooses not to look the way they want to look in order to save a few credits, there is at least one player who will pay those credits to have the look they want and is buying all those different looks.

I would pay whatever I need to look the way I want. I don't want to go through the effort to switch all of my mod/enh/armor each time I switch classes. It is not a cost issue it is a time issue. People who can afford it aren't willing to waste that much time every time they play. I am talking about people using legacy gear. This is different then what you are talking about. Your response did not relate to what I am talking about.

I would pay whatever I need to look the way I want. I don't want to go through the effort to switch all of my mod/enh/armor each time I switch classes. It is not a cost issue it is a time issue. People who can afford it aren't willing to waste that much time every time they play. I am talking about people using legacy gear. This is different then what you are talking about. Your response did not relate to what I am talking about.

Just a question, but how often do you want to change your look? How many outfits do you want to use?

I ask because I understand the time factor, but if I'm not changing my look every 30 mins or so, it doesn't bother me to move the mods on the few sets I have not yet gotten modded. Yes, I mod multiple sets, so that I do not have to worry about continuously moving mods. For me, it is not necessary that every outfit I have be full of BIS mods, only that they be modded effectively,

Edited by Ratajack

I still recommend commenting under the thread:

Thread has been active for some time.

People would like to be able to change their appearance without having to change their basic stats and the cost associated is too high for just a cosmetic change.

For Example: As a player levels, they visit multiple planets. Desert Worlds, Cold Worlds, Jungle Worlds. As a roleplaying consideration people may want to break out their Winter Gear on Hoth and Ilum but then wear something a little cooler when they get to Tatooine. At 55 you can reasonably be going to all of these planets and it would be nice for people to be able to adjust their look for their current environment without a huge cost that is far disproportionate to the return/effect.

Changing your spec SHOULD cost you money.

Changing how you look should not, especially when there is already a significant Cartel Coin/real world dollar cost to obtain the clothing/outfits.

It would be to EA/BioWare's benefit as well as if people could change their outfits with cosmetic tabs, more people would likely actually see value to the cartel equipment. As It is presently, I have several sets of cold weather looking gear but none of my characters change into it because it would cost 100's of thousands of credits just to look like I bundled up for Hoth/Ilum. So these items remain in my collect, locked to a single character, as there is no reason for any of my 16 alts to use them because I don't want to wear them on Korriban, Hutta, Dromund Kaas, Balmorra, Taris, Tatooine, Makeb, Nar Shadda, Quesh, Alderaan (Though there are some snowy regions there), Vos, Corellia, Belsavis (Though there are parts there you might want to throw on a warm jacket) etc.....

Lord of the Rings Online understands this and knows that their f2p model/microtransaction model is benefitted by having their cosmetic gear tabs. People are more willing to buy cloths to change into as it does not incur a significant in game cost. If they want to change their spec/base equipment, there is still a cost and it works as it has always been intended.

The Cost in SWTOR was originally intended to keep people from swapping out specs on a whim. It was to make your attribute choices more meaningful and difficult to change. This remains if we have a cosmetic tab.

Edited by EnkiduNineEight

I still recommend commenting under the thread:

Thread has been active for some time.

People would like to be able to change their appearance without having to change their basic stats and the cost associated is too high for just a cosmetic change.

For Example: As a player levels, they visit multiple planets. Desert Worlds, Cold Worlds, Jungle Worlds. As a roleplaying consideration people may want to break out their Winter Gear on Hoth and Ilum but then wear something a little cooler when they get to Tatooine. At 55 you can reasonably be going to all of these planets and it would be nice for people to be able to adjust their look for their current environment without a huge cost that is far disproportionate to the return/effect.

Changing your spec SHOULD cost you money.

Changing how you look should not, especially when there is already a significant Cartel Coin/real world dollar cost to obtain the clothing/outfits.

It would be to EA/BioWare's benefit as well as if people could change their outfits with cosmetic tabs, more people would likely actually see value to the cartel equipment. As It is presently, I have several sets of cold weather looking gear but none of my characters change into it because it would cost 100's of thousands of credits just to look like I bundled up for Hoth/Ilum. So these items remain in my collect, locked to a single character, as there is no reason for any of my 16 alts to use them because I don't want to wear them on Korriban, Hutta, Dromund Kaas, Balmorra, Taris, Tatooine, Makeb, Nar Shadda, Quesh, Alderaan (Though there are some snowy regions there), Vos, Corellia, Belsavis (Though there are parts there you might want to throw on a warm jacket) etc.....

Lord of the Rings Online understands this and knows that their f2p model/microtransaction model is benefitted by having their cosmetic gear tabs. People are more willing to buy cloths to change into as it does not incur a significant in game cost. If they want to change their spec/base equipment, there is still a cost and it works as it has always been intended.

The Cost in SWTOR was originally intended to keep people from swapping out specs on a whim. It was to make your attribute choices more meaningful and difficult to change. This remains if we have a cosmetic tab.

If they implement an appearance tab, they would basically negate the credit involved in changing your appearance. While you may not change your appearance and pay the credits to do so, there are those players that do.

The credit sink is effective. If it were negated by an appearance tab, it would need to be replaced with new credit sink. What would you propose they add as a new credit sink, or what costs would you propose that they increase to offset the loss of the "appearance changing" credit sink that an appearance tab create?

The "new" or increased credit sink may not be one that you can avoid.

The Credit Sink was not built to keep you from changing your appearance but from changing your attributes in custom equipment without cost. There is no cost for changing your equipment/appearance with any dropped equipment and this includes prototype and artifact equipment that is not mod-able.

The credit sink aspect is purely to prevent people from cheaply changing attributes and/or giving other characters the mods when you are done with them. The cost means to pass mods between your characters there is a cost so that a player's second and subsequent characters is not that much 'cheaper' to maintain.

It has nothing to do with charging you money to change your appearance.

No new credit sink would be required as those people tearing out mods from their base equipment will continue to do so under a system that allows them to change their appearance. Having played since prior to elease in both closed and open beta's though present, a subscriber that entire time, and having 16 characters I'm well familiar with a large number of players, by sight, and equipment very rarely changes once you hit cap as you transfer the mods from dropped equipment into the equipment that looks like how you want to look like.

So, an appearance system would not change the existing game in any way re: credit sinks but would be a significant addition to player experience AND be beneficial to EA/BioWare as it creates incentive to collect equipment/looks since you are no longer penalized for making an _aesthetic_ decision.

The Credit Sink was not built to keep you from changing your appearance but from changing your attributes in custom equipment without cost. There is no cost for changing your equipment/appearance with any dropped equipment and this includes prototype and artifact equipment that is not mod-able.

The credit sink aspect is purely to prevent people from cheaply changing attributes and/or giving other characters the mods when you are done with them. The cost means to pass mods between your characters there is a cost so that a player's second and subsequent characters is not that much 'cheaper' to maintain.

It has nothing to do with charging you money to change your appearance.

No new credit sink would be required as those people tearing out mods from their base equipment will continue to do so under a system that allows them to change their appearance. Having played since prior to elease in both closed and open beta's though present, a subscriber that entire time, and having 16 characters I'm well familiar with a large number of players, by sight, and equipment very rarely changes once you hit cap as you transfer the mods from dropped equipment into the equipment that looks like how you want to look like.

So, an appearance system would not change the existing game in any way re: credit sinks but would be a significant addition to player experience AND be beneficial to EA/BioWare as it creates incentive to collect equipment/looks since you are no longer penalized for making an _aesthetic_ decision.

Legacy gear did not exist at launch, so there was no way to transfer mods between characters. Therefore, the cost to remove mods was NOT put in place to prevent players from sending old mods to alts.

The original intent of that credit sink may not have been specifically a cost to change appearance. Since it costs nothing to replace an existing mod, only to remove them, I think an "appearance tax" may well have been a factor. Whether or not an "appearance tax" was even a factor when that particular credit sink was designed, it is still an effective credit sink now, and likely BW would have to find another way to replace that credit sink if they negated it by implementing an appearance tab.

Again, I ask you how you would propose that they add a new credit sink, or adjust a current credit sink. Sticking your head in the sand and claiming that it will not change anything is not an answer. Ignoring a problem, or a potential problem, does not make it go away.

Just a question, but how often do you want to change your look? How many outfits do you want to use?

I ask because I understand the time factor, but if I'm not changing my look every 30 mins or so, it doesn't bother me to move the mods on the few sets I have not yet gotten modded. Yes, I mod multiple sets, so that I do not have to worry about continuously moving mods. For me, it is not necessary that every outfit I have be full of BIS mods, only that they be modded effectively,

I use legacy gear and whenever I play I do the pvp dailies on a few of my chars who are currently wearing legacy gear. So it would be constant switching for me. Also, just because you have enough free time and don't care to switch every 30 minutes it does not mean everyone else feels the same way. I have a small family, a professional job, and hobbies outside of gaming. Even if it was free if I had to switch mods every time I switched chars I would find another game to play. Right now I just deal with looking ugly since I enjoy this game's pvp.

People with legacy gear would still have to pull out mods/etc. to put in legacy gear each time they buy a new piece of equipment so that credit sink stays in place. As you have said most people without legacy gear don't switch too often anyway. Therefore this isn't much of a credit sink for them anyway.

Also, remember that people have aug's in their old gear. So if they want to buy a new piece and take advantage of wardrobe they would still have to buy an mk-9, pay the mod fee, and pay to remove their old augment. So some credit sink is still there.

I am curious as to why you are so against this though. I don't believe that you think this credit sink is so essential to the game based on what both you and I have said. Will you please inform me?

Edited by DarthRaika

I use legacy gear and whenever I play I do the pvp dailies on a few of my chars who are currently wearing legacy gear. So it would be constant switching for me. Also, just because you have enough free time and don't care to switch every 30 minutes it does not mean everyone else feels the same way. I have a small family, a professional job, and hobbies outside of gaming. Even if it was free if I had to switch mods every time I switched chars I would find another game to play. Right now I just deal with looking ugly since I enjoy this game's pvp.

People with legacy gear would still have to pull out mods/etc. to put in legacy gear each time they buy a new piece of equipment so that credit sink stays in place. As you have said most people without legacy gear don't switch too often anyway. Therefore this isn't much of a credit sink for them anyway.

Also, remember that people have aug's in their old gear. So if they want to buy a new piece and take advantage of wardrobe they would still have to buy an mk-9, pay the mod fee, and pay to remove their old augment. So some credit sink is still there.

I am curious as to why you are so against this though. I don't believe that you think this credit sink is so essential to the game based on what I said above. Will you please inform me?

I didn't realize that you were the only with a family, a job and other commitments outside of the game. I must have been imagining my family, my 50+ hour a week job and all of my other commitments for all these years.

If you choose to change your appearance every 30 minutes, that does not mean that every player does.

The point is that even if YOU do not pay to change your appearance, many players DO. If they remove one credit sink in order to cater to those who are too averse to the effort required to earn the credits to change their gear, or mod out more than one set of gear, they will likely need to implement a credit sink to replace the one that is lost.

How would you propose to replace the credit sink that will be lost if they add an appearance tab and allow everyone to change their appearance at any time, with no cost? Are you prepared to have our repair costs doubled or tripled? Are you prepared to have the cost to add augment kits to items doubled or tripled?

I'm neither for nor against an appearance tab, but I do recognize that even what may seem a small change can have much larger consequences.

Edited by Ratajack

Legacy gear did not exist at launch, so there was no way to transfer mods between characters. Therefore, the cost to remove mods was NOT put in place to prevent players from sending old mods to alts.

The original intent of that credit sink may not have been specifically a cost to change appearance. Since it costs nothing to replace an existing mod, only to remove them, I think an "appearance tax" may well have been a factor. Whether or not an "appearance tax" was even a factor when that particular credit sink was designed, it is still an effective credit sink now, and likely BW would have to find another way to replace that credit sink if they negated it by implementing an appearance tab.

Again, I ask you how you would propose that they add a new credit sink, or adjust a current credit sink. Sticking your head in the sand and claiming that it will not change anything is not an answer. Ignoring a problem, or a potential problem, does not make it go away.

I don't need to respond to your straw men. Thus there is no need for me to create an argument for a different credit sink to replace one that was not there in the first place as part of the design. If I were to point it out, I would just indicate the cost of buying alternate equipment especially the new cartel stuff, is more than adequate a replacement for the unnecessary credit sink.

Again, It was not designed nor is it presently an effective credit sink for keeping people from changing their appearances. Its only purpose was to prevent moving mods to comps, other characters etc without a cost as you have noted, it costs nothing to put mods in an item.

The purpose has always been to make shuffling your attributes/spec costly and as already mentioned, prevent freely equipping comps/alts/etc and not restrict your appearance. They've even drastically reduced the cost from initial values because they recognized for even those purposes, the cost was onerous and non-necessary.

I don't need to respond to your straw men. Thus there is no need for me to create an argument for a different credit sink to replace one that was not there in the first place as part of the design. If I were to point it out, I would just indicate the cost of buying alternate equipment especially the new cartel stuff, is more than adequate a replacement for the unnecessary credit sink.

Again, It was not designed nor is it presently an effective credit sink for keeping people from changing their appearances. Its only purpose was to prevent moving mods to comps, other characters etc without a cost as you have noted, it costs nothing to put mods in an item.

The purpose has always been to make shuffling your attributes/spec costly and as already mentioned, prevent freely equipping comps/alts/etc and not restrict your appearance. They've even drastically reduced the cost from initial values because they recognized for even those purposes, the cost was onerous and non-necessary.

They reduced the cost, but did not REMOVE the cost, even with all the new appearance options available. Why do you suppose that is, if not intended to be a credit sink?

Sometimes things develop attributes that were not necessarily a part of the original design, such as becoming a viable and effective credit sink. That does not, in any way, negate those "new" attributes.

It is not the credit sink you make it out to be and the change I am suggesting would keep some credit sink in place (augments). It would also likely bring in more money to BW since many of the people I pvp with say that the CM gear is worthless since they need to wear their legacy gear. We would buy CM gear for looks if we could actually display it.

I am sure there are a few people that switch gear often and use it as a credit sink but many people do not. Most people I know don't change their appearance very often. Many of them would like to but just find it a pain. This would make these paying customers happy. It is really a win/win situation.

Your credit sink argument just doesn't make sense. I am not sure if you are angry irl or just a huge fanboy but it is rather weird to me that you would campaign against something positive on such a weak argument as credit sink. Especially when you have said yourself that many do not use it as a credit sink.

It is not the credit sink you make it out to be and the change I am suggesting would keep some credit sink in place (augments). It would also likely bring in more money to BW since many of the people I pvp with say that the CM gear is worthless since they need to wear their legacy gear. We would buy CM gear for looks if we could actually display it.

I am sure there are a few people that switch gear often and use it as a credit sink but many people do not. Most people I know don't change their appearance very often. Many of them would like to but just find it a pain. This would make these paying customers happy. It is really a win/win situation.

Your credit sink argument just doesn't make sense. I am not sure if you are angry irl or just a huge fanboy but it is rather weird to me that you would campaign against something positive on such a weak argument as credit sink. Especially when you have said yourself that many do not use it as a credit sink.

Maybe you should try actually reading the whole post.

As I said, I am neither for nor against appearance tabs.

Augments are a ONE TIME cost, and not a recurring credit sink. People spending money or CC's on new outfits is not a credit sink in any way. Even if those outfits are purchased on the GTN, it is not a credit sink, as the credits are not removed from the game, they only change hands.

If BW feels that they can implement an appearance tab without needing to increase costs somewhere else, or add a new credit sink, then I am all for appearance tabs. If, on the other hand, BW feels they would need to create a new credit sink, or increase any of the ones already in the game, then I would be against appearance tabs.

I do not want to see my costs, or the costs of every other player in the game, increased because some players are too averse to the effort required to earn the credits or mod out several different outfits so that they can change their appearance when they wish.

In the end, the final decision is up to BW, though.

One example of a great appearance system is in DC Universe Online. They have what they call styles. Styles are created when you equip a piece of gear, then you learn to wear that piece of gear at any time just by equipping it. Even if you sell or delete that piece of gear, you still have the style saved on that character. And with these styles, you can wear some ugly gear with better stats and click on the styles tab and change that piece of gear to a better look, and still retain the stats of the ugly piece of gear. So there is a possibility that you can obtain thousands, or even hundreds of thousands of styles depending on how long you play the game and how much new gear you obtained. Now I know Bioware/EA would probably never adapt to this way of changing appearances, but its something to think about. Edited by hazzomar
wanted to add this