Developer Update: Introduction to Galactic Strongholds

TaitWatson

To be very simple and very concise, I will say only this.

A free-placement system is way easier to design than a hooks system, especially a hooks system with multiple layouts. It was a decision, not a crutch. And in my opinion they chose well.

• Replies 214
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Personally I don't care whether the placement system is free-form or hook-based. All that matters to me is whether the legacy cargohold can hold ALL my crafting materials and I can craft directly from it like I can from my characters cargohold. Everything else looks great and I look forward to checking this out on the PTS.

Personally I don't care whether the placement system is free-form or hook-based. All that matters to me is whether the legacy cargohold can hold ALL my crafting materials and I can craft directly from it like I can from my characters cargohold. Everything else looks great and I look forward to checking this out on the PTS.

I hope they put it on the PTS. They might, but the also might not.

I really like what I am seeing about strongholds and it's something that is likely to going to keep me busy quite a bit.

There is of course a but....

I don't understand this point about deactivating or reactivating a stronghold. If you unlock it with cc it doesn't need reactivation I guess but when you get it with credits it does? I don't see the point of this. Once unlocked why would anyone voluntarily deactivate a stronghold? Or is it not voluntary?

I would like some clarification on this because it seems rather odd to me and it makes me wonder what this is all about before jumping to any conclusions, none of which would be positive if I'm honest. Will I feel forced to buy them with cc coins or else? What's this about?

Legacy storage?

So we can farm weeklies with our geared characters, buy elite gear and store it for our lesser geared alts without them actually completing the weeklies regardless of whether its BOP?

About my suggestion for a hero support what's left for all in this topic I also put it in the suggestion box just look under my name to find it please show your suppor maybe that will make this maybe that will make this game a little more fun

It was mentioned in the latest livestream that guild mates will have the ability to decorate the guild stronghold.

If that's the case, then what kinds of decorations are available? What I mean by that is say Lenny Lowbie, an elite interior decorator, just joined and offered their services to decorate an elite raiding guild's stronghold (bear with me here). Lenny clearly doesn't have the achievements and/or drops from any of his guild's accomplishments. So, since this is a stronghold tied to a guild, would there be a pool of decorations which every person in the guild can access (specifically for the guild stronghold), or is all decorating limited to a character's personal achievements?

If it's limited to a character's personal achievements, is there a way to make the higher end decorations available? Putting these items in the guild bank, perhaps?

Edited by CaptMurphy

You know the one thing I really don't like about the so-called life streams I cannot find an I cannot find any archives so if I so if I miss an episode I'm outta luck

wish they could se wish they could see them

You know the one thing I really don't like about the so-called life streams I cannot find an I cannot find any archives so if I so if I miss an episode I'm outta luck

Really?

This link is posted under the 'New Galactic Living Twitch Series' on the front page of swtor.com. And guess what? Yesterday's episode is the first one available to watch.

Click on the "Videos" button at the top right of the twitch tv page: http://www.twitch.tv/swtor

Edited by Sambril
increased size to make it easier for the recipient to see

Click on the "Videos" button at the top right of the twitch tv page: http://www.twitch.tv/swtor

making this clear to making this clear to me. as well a with many different live strea with many different live stream videos I'm not sure if you're the one wh I'm not sure if you're the one who sent me the link or if it was for somebody else and you're just re posting but if you are reposting. Thank you for making the other guys post clear to me. / it's you that s

I tried to hit link and video. Nothing plays so my original point o so my original point of view still stands I have not changed my opinio there needs to be some wa how being able t I being able to see recorded versio recorded versions of these liv live stream videos so you can watch him when u need 2 in case you missed them Edited by JJTEAMA

I tried to hit link and video. Nothing plays so my original point o so my original point of view still stands I have not changed my opinio there needs to be some wa how being able t I being able to see recorded versio recorded versions of these liv live stream videos so you can watch him when u need 2 in case you missed them

I am sorry that you could not get it to work. When I follow that link and click the Videos button I see a list of previous streams on the right side of the page. Clicking one of those causes it to start playing. It does use FlashPlayer so perhaps you need to install that or update your version?

Edit: Perhaps this will help (direct links to each of the Stronghold streams):

Week 1: http://www.twitch.tv/swtor/c/4583536

Week 2: http://www.twitch.tv/swtor/c/4636731

Edited by Sambril

The devs were saying that the only way to display armor was to have a companion wearing it and put them in the stronghold, does that mean that the companions have to KEEP the armor equipped all the time or just until they are "placed" in the stronghold"

I tried to hit link and video. Nothing plays so my original point o so my original point of view still stands I have not changed my opinio there needs to be some wa how being able t I being able to see recorded versio recorded versions of these liv live stream videos so you can watch him when u need 2 in case you missed them

but it was only wor but it was only working half way and it was skipping I don't know if this is a normal problem. if I can find all the videos related to this on youtube thank you very much I can find all the videos related to this on youtube thank you very much for your help is greatly appreciated it. The only sad thing I found is that they were people talking in the video because somebody recorded the video and they would not stop talking in it so trying to find a clean version is kind of hard

What I learned in the video that the companions we. aring having to wear the armor instead of using dummy model for armor display is a disappointment that was one of my original ideas. / ion Isley don't seeing the difficulty in making some little statues to display armor. Stop. /

Also with the legacy stronghold becaus you cannot have all your playe you cannot have all your player characters. Together in 1 stronghold. Like hunter. And Jedi. Together in the same place for example it would be awesome if they would have allowed at least your alternativ your alternative characters

If I may. I have been in architecture for over 15 years. I like having the freedom to do whatever I like in designing. That said, I don't mind the 'hook' system. Btw, I haven't even used it on this MMO - I've only seen it like you all.

Let me digress a little on that note...I agree with whomever stated that SWTOR should really step-up their game on the 'advertisements'. GIFs, site updated occassionally, and twitter account that's pretty underwhelming are very disappointing to someone who pays to play. By no means do I need something daily but SWTOR should update more often and provide a more current means of showcasing their game.

Ok, back to the strongholds. Until I step into one I will hold my opinions on how I like it or wish they had done something different. If I wanted to specifically design I would stick to my CAD design that I work on day in and day out. If I want something fun in a game that accentuates my play time by designing something that I can go back to for storage, relaxing, or hanging with online friends then I'll play this. Btw, for those who are really upset with this - there's always minecraft - LOL. :D

After seeing the first video of week one of the strongholds and see how things are placed it does not really seem that bad to me anymore of course I will not know how things work out until I get into my stronghold

The only thing I can feel a little disappointed about about this. One of my suggestions / mannequin models to display inside the stronghold. That is something to place on old R you can have them for decorations it would be almost like having extra characters and find your stronghold hope she wanted to have like it would be almost like having extra characters and find your stronghold hope she wanted to have like an army of troopers like like a bunch of terracotta warriors inside one of the rims or the entire stronghold you could do this which by the way having an army of troopers I copied a lot of beginning armor sets to you get when you first are playing a a lot of beginning armor sets to you get when you first are playing a game and then I did send them to my main character well to be perfectly honest I wouldn't say that I copy them again popping them all I had to do was start up a new character mail it to my main character and I ended up with a chain armor pieces 18 armor sets which is enough for a small army for me lol. So I guess what I will be doing because only the Companions can wait where I am armor pieces

put i put in game armor on my characters release my companions which is kind of sad but that's the only thing I can do I wish they would put back the plane American model idea so we can have plenty of our old armor sets for decoration display and show people yeah I got that armor set do you like it