[Please] Lift the grass distance draw hard cap

Deewe

Once upon a time, in a shard not that far away, people lived in a free galaxy.

They were allowed to change game rendering parameters on the client side.

Now they are stuck with poor rendering distance:

So now that cheaper graphics cards able to handle the game properly, we ask SWTOR producer to have the devs unlock the below parameter letting players enjoy nice graphics.

C:\Users\%username%\AppData\Local\SWTOR\swtor\settings\client_settings.ini

FarClipScale

Thank you.

Edited by Deewe

They just enabled better shadows and certain areas of the game are simply unplayable with them on high-end pcs.

Adding more graphic options before sorting out the engine? Really? It would make more sense to add some options to actually degrade graphics :/

Edited by Alec_Fortescue

They just enabled better shadows and certain areas of the game are simply unplayable with them on high-end pcs.

Adding more graphic options before sorting out the engine? Really? It would make more sense to add some options to actually degrade graphics :/

It's funny how asking for something is bad in some peoples minds. I would love to have further rendering distance for grass. I am sure my PC could handle it. I don't have the best nor the worst PC in the world and with shadows maxed have no great slow down in my fps.

What I have found in the past is that if you are running low fps and your hardware is not below standard then it's either an old driver causing the issue or you need to look at what ever other programs you have installed. Few people in my opinion ever clean up their hard drives my removing old software ....

The whole point of the request is to add the option to increase the rendering distance if a player's system can handle it. The default could stay exactly where it is, but this would allow players to customize the distance to their own tastes. In fact you could add an option to turn down settings at the same time, so i don't really understand your objection. This change would just put more control over graphic settings in the players' hands.

Yes please, I'm tired of watching grass magically grow on the horizon.

Same here !

I would also like to be able to turn down the overkill of particle effects

I'd really, really like to have this as well ! - Especially since I suspect for a long, long time now that these particle effects are the source of much lag on the client's side ...

Edited by AlrikFassbauer

The more the better.

Still puzzled how few graphic parameters are in the UI considering those who we used to be able to tweak: clicky

• 4 weeks later...
I played an ops last night 16 man, i have almost everything turned up to max in 2560x1440 i can see my GFX use about 30-40% of the capacity and CPU about the same and still i get some framedrops down to 15 FPS so i am fairly certain that its the engine that is FUBAR and it always seem to come when i get the inferno of particle effects that is when 16 people pound on a boss.

Turn it off altogether, no more watching it grow.

No?

With a more eye pleasing ground texture, definitely yes.

I turned grass off long time ago (can't remember if it was performance driven, or annoyance driven) but the ground texture below this grass is just ugly.

(Even Warhammer Online had better textures when grass was turned off)

lol, overkill? Whut are you talking about? Most of the effects are already just 2d bitmapped. Where do you see any particle effects ? (try rotating around the so called effect, you will see it's just a flat 2D bitmap that keeps oriented towards you when you rotate around it...true particle effects are 3D and when viewed from different angles show a different form. Haven't seen that many in game... only a very few things look like they might be particle effect, but I suspect that this too is just clever use of 2D bitmapping.

Edited by LeJarC