Stock strike .. why does it use ammo?

Chimeran

It's a stock strike, yes put it on timer.

No it should not use ammo.

The next upgrade stock strike Blitz it hopeless, it does not even work on elite mobs.

Why is that, it's a much higher level skill LvL 35+

If an elite mob can be cryo grenaded, then why does Blitz not work on them?

I have three possibilities

1. Shoddy worksmanship. hitting it knocks a couple cells loose.

2. A small, but powerful explosive device in the butt of our guns. It may one day go off in mid hammer shot.

3. All troopers are cyborgs and the cells are inside us, not our guns.

Plus the whole rocket punch generating heat thing.

Blitz, Shoulder slam, pommel strike, etc are designed to kill trash quicker. they don't want it used in pvp or on bosses.

Edited by SirHaggis

It's a stock strike, yes put it on timer.

No it should not use ammo.

Stock Strike is an ability that uses some of your replenishing resource.

Ammo, energy, force, rage, mana, soul shards, chi, bottlecaps, whatever...

It's your resource for using your non-free abilities.

Doesn't matter what the name is. It's still the thing that keeps one class's abilities more or less balanced with the other classes' abilities.

If you're going to get hung up on realism, why ever would you play a Star Wars game?

Well you see when you hit them with your gun, the bullets fall out.....

Yeah logically it makes no sense, but strip away the flavor text and it does make sense that an ability with that much damage to use mana (really for all intents and purposes that's what it is) and have a cooldown.

• 1 month later...
Stock Strike is an ability that uses some of your replenishing resource.

Ammo, energy, force, rage, mana, soul shards, chi, bottlecaps, whatever...

It's your resource for using your non-free abilities.

Doesn't matter what the name is. It's still the thing that keeps one class's abilities more or less balanced with the other classes' abilities.

If you're going to get hung up on realism, why ever would you play a Star Wars game?

this isn't realism. this is stupidity. Issues with realism would be issues with the physics and such. To make hitting someone with the butt of your rifle cost ammo is an insult to intelligence.

Right there with horde paladins.

this isn't realism. this is stupidity. Issues with realism would be issues with the physics and such. To make hitting someone with the butt of your rifle cost ammo is an insult to intelligence.

Why does pistolwhipping someone heat up my Bounty Hunter armor? Balance.

Stock strike costs ammo because every single ability in the game besides basic attacks cost some amount of resources. Otherwise it would be extremely unbalanced. If stockstrike costed no resource you would HAVE to use it every available cooldown otherwise it would be a dps loss. Which would of course mean mercs/commandos would have to melee all the time.

Now what exactly is an insult to intelligence again?

It is kinda funny though. In real life the only time you'd use the butt of your weapon is close ranged without any ammo left. In SWTOR, the only time you can't use it is when you're closed ranged and out of ammo...:confused:

I think it falls under the same logic as "why would I shoot at people as a gunslinger when my face punch does 3x as much damage?" I guess it's more of a problem that shooting someone in the face does less damage than just punching them...

Edited by dcgregorya

ever fire a real gun? there is this magical thing called "recoil" and if you were striking an enemy with the butt of the gun, and shot a round or two, that recoil could be used to seriously bust someone's face up.

tl;dr: use recoil to increase strike force.

ever fire a real gun? there is this magical thing called "recoil" and if you were striking an enemy with the butt of the gun, and shot a round or two, that recoil could be used to seriously bust someone's face up. use recoil to increase strike force.

heh... fire a round or two when striking with rifle stock? what a great idea! must try it!

oh, wait a minute... before i start, tell me... are you absolutely sure that i won't shoot myself when doing so? *trollface.jpg*

All this stockstrike thing looks really weird to me. Why does it do so much damage? How can this stockstrike do 10 times more damage, than a rifle brust from point blank range?.. I can understand if it stuns, interrupts, knocks back, whatever... But plain damage?... Why do u need that blaster thing in the rifle at all?? Imagine what damage would stockstrike ability deliver, if your trooper was armed with an old-style mace or hammer instead of that flimsy plastic thingy? )

And why no bayonet? )

Edited by AntonYakovlev

Should ammo be used in smacking someone with your firearm. No.

Should melee abilities be free to use by range classes in Tor. No.

Should players expect Bioware to create a secondary resource system to avoid this issue regarding "realism". No

Is this slightly annoying. Yes.

Is there a solution that will make everyone happy. No, but the game is great and life moves on.

Following this logic.

Why doesn't Full Auto burn all 12 cells? Feel free to count how many bolts you shoot.

Why is Hammer Shot free? Does it shoot air?

It's a game.

It's a melee damage ability which requires resources to use.

It's a game.

Following this logic.

Why doesn't Full Auto burn all 12 cells? Feel free to count how many bolts you shoot.

Why is Hammer Shot free? Does it shoot air?

It's a game.

It's a melee damage ability which requires resources to use.

It's a game.

Hammer shot does not shoot air mate. It uses alot of those rainbow colors you call happiness against the sith.

Why does pistolwhipping someone heat up my Bounty Hunter armor? Balance.

Stock strike costs ammo because every single ability in the game besides basic attacks cost some amount of resources. Otherwise it would be extremely unbalanced. If stockstrike costed no resource you would HAVE to use it every available cooldown otherwise it would be a dps loss. Which would of course mean mercs/commandos would have to melee all the time.

Now what exactly is an insult to intelligence again?

/thread