A never-ending "onslaught" like mode

DrewFromPhilly

Picture this: 4 people start out in an area and enemies of increasing difficulty keep spawning, endlessly getting more and more difficult until eventually reaching the point of impossibility (after a long while, and obviously some groups would do better than others) - at which point the whole thing can be restarted immediately and/or rewards dispersed, etc. AND, a solo mode with the enemies geared towards only one attacker.

Yes, im taking this from FPS games like Halo and Resistance but it is incredibly fun especially with a group when all you wanna do is shoot stuff and blow crap up. Halo has like a bunker with medpacks and stationary guns to make it easier, which sure I would be for that, but it would be cool if it had a unique SWTOR flavor to it.

plz?

Edited by DrewFromPhilly

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Like Horde mode from Gears of War (the best survival mode across any game)? Count me in!! That was always my favorite part of gears (Aside from the story)...heck they could just rip it off completely as far as I care & it would still be awesome: barricades, turrets, traps, & etc all to be upgraded via some kind currency.

/singed

Like Horde mode from Gears of War (the best survival mode across any game)? Count me in!! That was always my favorite part of gears (Aside from the story)...heck they could just rip it off completely as far as I care & it would still be awesome: barricades, turrets, traps, & etc all to be upgraded via some kind currency.

/singed

Horde Mode was freaking awesome!!!! I'd fully support this! Good suggestion OP!

basically it would be like colicoid wars and kaon flashpoints. I would see this as somethign done with either rakghoul or other types of enemies.

not sure how long term it would be but might be fun now and then.

A few more ideas just dawned on me!! Just like in Gears 3 you could purchase items to help out your team, or in this case fill in for roles you do not have: a robot that might take aggro (AI tank), A robot/machine that heals (AI healer), Turret (AI DPS), shields, fences, & etc. This couldn't be all that hard to program!! Usually most of the stuff in the suggestion box is garbage, but this is gold -- make it happen Bioware!!

PS: I've subbed to this thread so we can keep it alive. You should all do the same!!

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
It could be fun have rewards for how long you last and maybe throw in some light tower defence stuff.

Yep, I'm all about that!! The longer you last the more rewards you get!! You could have a leader board too just like in ranked PvP. Hand out rewards for top earners during a season!! :rak_03:

I think OP has an awesome idea. I would really enjoy this, seeing as I'm not guilded and play with only a couple close friends. The instances could scale to the number of group members like some of the later missions in the story line, and rewards would be commensurate with number of people involved and survival time.

I suppose this could even lead to SM, HM, and NiM onslaughts for heightened rewards, or maybe operation group onslaught missions.

However implemented, sounds like a great idea!

I think OP has an awesome idea. I would really enjoy this, seeing as I'm not guilded and play with only a couple close friends. The instances could scale to the number of group members like some of the later missions in the story line, and rewards would be commensurate with number of people involved and survival time.

I suppose this could even lead to SM, HM, and NiM onslaughts for heightened rewards, or maybe operation group onslaught missions.

However implemented, sounds like a great idea!

I hadn't even considered the angle of scaling difficulty -- good idea :eek:! It really couldn't be that hard to program a higher spawn rate based on player count in a match.

Good idea for a 'mini-FP' type of encounter. This would be a great way to add a fair bit of content without the need for a whole FP's worth of new animation and VO work. I can see this being a fun little diversionary game in itself; throw in some XP or loot at the end based on performance and I'd play the heck out of it.

I support this idea.

• 2 weeks later...
Good idea for a 'mini-FP' type of encounter. This would be a great way to add a fair bit of content without the need for a whole FP's worth of new animation and VO work. I can see this being a fun little diversionary game in itself; throw in some XP or loot at the end based on performance and I'd play the heck out of it.

I support this idea.

Yeah, & I think that "diversionary content" is just the kinda thing SWTOR needs right now. Stuff you can go do that doesn't involve "kill X of these", or "get X of those" kinda missions. Regardless of the mode being horde, pod-racing, GSF, or Mini-games we need a little more to chew on to keep people around.

/signed & supported

I played Horde Mode in Gears (never was really good at it, but it was a lot of fun), as well as some of the other "survival mode" mini-games in other FPS titles, and this idea sounds like it could really be an amazing addition to SWTOR. Similar to how space combat was initially implemented (before GSF), you could do it solo, with a small mission terminal type thing that would give you different planets to choose from - would you rather fight on Dromund Kaas/Coruscant, Oricon, Belsalvis, or any of the planets, each with its own player benefit/detriment. These would obviously be instanced in some way, so you could even add other planets to the list without having to make the whole planet available for questing.

I love the idea of the player(s) being able to purchase extra defensive/offensive droids, turrets or even regular "people" NPC's and such as they progress through each wave of enemies (a la Gears of War). My main is a sorc (or sage, depending on the day) healer, so, even though Khem Val is a pretty respectable tank in his own right, I would love to have more tanking and DPS available to me in a solo version of this. These AI items could show up in your operations frame (for solo and small groups) so that you can see their current status and heal/repair them when they start taking too much damage.

The rewards could be everything from a few credits for the first few waves, to some end-game commendations for making it past one of the extremely difficult levels.

Edited by G_Hosa_Phat

Man, you hit it on the nose -- thanks for your support!! Outside of the turrets, maybe you could spend some of your comms on deploying your companions or ALTS? They could be like a "hero unit"? Speaking off.....I just had a really good idea.

What if.....you were given a certain amount of comms to spend every round on defenses, offensive items, companions, & etc. BUT, what you didn't spend you could keep at the end? Credits could be used for basic stuff, but then have actual end game commendations buy really OP defenses & "hero" units? That would add a risk/reward element to it!! I know you'd have to put a cap on what you could leave with in terms of comms, but I think this could be exciting.

On another note....Bioware could add tower defense elements to some of the maps...or have it be a mode in & of itself. :rak_03:

PS: Wouldn't want a solo mode though, would have to be multi-player. AT LEAST 4 -8 people.

Edited by Lecto

What if.....you were given a certain amount of comms to spend every round on defenses, offensive items, companions, & etc. BUT, what you didn't spend you could keep at the end? Credits could be used for basic stuff, but then have actual end game commendations buy really OP defenses & "hero" units? That would add a risk/reward element to it!! I know you'd have to put a cap on what you could leave with in terms of comms, but I think this could be exciting.

I like where you're going with this.:w_smile: To flesh it out a little more, in the first few waves, you use Basic Commendations and/or credits to purchase low-level support units. As you progress, the support units get better, but the associated "cost" goes up right along with it. For example: the first 5-10 waves use Basic Commendations, the next 5-10 waves use Elite Commendations, then use Ultimate Commendations. At the start of each round, you're given 20 of that wave's Commendation type, plus 20 of each of the Commendation type from the lower tiers' that you've cleared. If you spend all 20, then you'll only have 20 in the next round. But, if you save, say, 10 from the previous round, you start the next round with 30. (duh)

Any number of leftover Commendations you do not spend while playing is halved upon failure and rewarded to the player. However, the player must have completed the wave (died) to try to prevent players from just jumping in and then back out to earn a bunch of Basic Commendations. Also, there should probably be a daily limit similar to the limit imposed for running daily quests.

All waves would also reward some amount of credits. If you make it past the Elite Commendation waves, then you start getting into substantially more credits earned. You continue to receive the same number of Commendations in each round, but your credit earnings start to go up almost exponentially after clearing the 5 (or whatever) Elite Commendation rounds.

PS: Wouldn't want a solo mode though, would have to be multi-player. AT LEAST 4 -8 people.

I would personally prefer a solo mode, although perhaps the Commendation and credit rewards would scale up (or down) based on the number of players in your group. Don't get me wrong, I'm sure I would enjoy playing alongside someone else (or several "someones"), but I wouldn't want to HAVE to group up for it. If all of my guildies are offline, and I'm just wanting to putz around for a bit, I'd much rather do it on my own than have to queue up and wait for someone else that want's to play "Killik-Swarm" (I kinda like that name :w_tongue:) like we do for GSF and WZ. Again, like pre-GSF space combat, I can just jump in anytime I want. The better part here would be that I could choose to either go in solo, with a pre-made group or queue up for a random PUG match.

Edited by G_Hosa_Phat

I like where you're going with this.:w_smile: To flesh it out a little more, in the first few waves, you use Basic Commendations and/or credits to purchase low-level support units. As you progress, the support units get better, but the associated "cost" goes up right along with it. For example: the first 5-10 waves use Basic Commendations, the next 5-10 waves use Elite Commendations, then use Ultimate Commendations. At the start of each round, you're given 20 of that wave's Commendation type, plus 20 of each of the Commendation type from the lower tiers' that you've cleared. If you spend all 20, then you'll only have 20 in the next round. But, if you save, say, 10 from the previous round, you start the next round with 30. (duh)

Any number of leftover Commendations you do not spend while playing is halved upon failure and rewarded to the player. However, the player must have completed the wave (died) to try to prevent players from just jumping in and then back out to earn a bunch of Basic Commendations. Also, there should probably be a daily limit similar to the limit imposed for running daily quests.

All waves would also reward some amount of credits. If you make it past the Elite Commendation waves, then you start getting into substantially more credits earned. You continue to receive the same number of Commendations in each round, but your credit earnings start to go up almost exponentially after clearing the 5 (or whatever) Elite Commendation rounds.

Yeah, a weekly cap could be applied to "horde" mode, & that would stop people from abusing it. I also think the "random" element in most games that of this mode would stop people from getting bored so fast. The Horde mode from Gears of War 3 is my go to example, in that every wave is different......then on every 10th wave there is a randomly assigned boss tossed in the mix. An idea I just came up with.....healing turrets could be upgraded to allow you to revive team mates more frequently (lowering your cool down to do so...either by ability, or from drone).

You could start out in the beginning just with earning credits...then as the game progresses & it gets harder you could start earning actual commendations.

queue up and wait for someone else that want's to play "Killik-Swarm" (I kinda like that name :w_tongue:)

I like where you're going with this, moreover, different themed arenas could have different enemies? They could have totally different attacks & animations. Kiliks could be on an Alderaan stage, a Rackghoul stage, on Tatooine Sand-People/Jawas, & etc.

Yeah, a weekly cap could be applied to "horde" mode, & that would stop people from abusing it. I also think the "random" element in most games that of this mode would stop people from getting bored so fast. The Horde mode from Gears of War 3 is my go to example, in that every wave is different......then on every 10th wave there is a randomly assigned boss tossed in the mix. An idea I just came up with.....healing turrets could be upgraded to allow you to revive team mates more frequently (lowering your cool down to do so...either by ability, or from drone).

You could start out in the beginning just with earning credits...then as the game progresses & it gets harder you could start earning actual commendations.

Yes! Even better way to handle it. If you only get credits for the first few waves (and a paltry amount at that), it would prevent people from just jumping in, dying and doing a "rinse-repeat" thing to accumulate Commendations without actually doing anything. I'm thinking deaths in this type of arena SHOULD damage your gear as would any other PvE combat, so as to introduce another abuse deterrent.

I love the idea of the random boss thrown into the mix. This equates (at least in my mind) to the beginning waves starting out with "regular" enemies with the occasional "silver", with the 10th wave including a "gold" level enemy. Depending on group size, the difficulty of each wave could scale up to silvers taking the place of the regular-strength enemies with the occasional gold (or 2+), and a champion/boss spawning in the 10th wave.

I like where you're going with this, moreover, different themed arenas could have different enemies? They could have totally different attacks & animations. Kiliks could be on an Alderaan stage, a Rackghoul stage, on Tatooine Sand-People/Jawas, & etc.
I just thought of the name "Killik-Swarm" off the top of my head to give it a Star-Wars-y name, but there are probably so much better names than that. As for the actual enemies that spawn, you could definitely have different planets spawning different groups of enemies. Like I said, you could introduce completely different planets into the mix without investing all the time to completely develop the planet with quests, NPC's, etc. For example, you could create a Geonosis arena and design it exactly that way - as an arena (like the one Obi-Wan, Anakin and Padme were taken to in AotC).

Heck, make the whole thing more of a gladiatorial event put on by someone like Baron Deathmark (or some other wealthy and sadistic individual in the galaxy). Wow, the more I think and talk about this, the more I want it to happen! I think it would add such a neat element to SWTOR, and, if implemented well, could be an amazing draw to new players to try and old, un-subbed players to come back to SWTOR!