A never-ending "onslaught" like mode

DrewFromPhilly

Perhaps also add a Sage's Halt Onslaught ability that drops a large donut-shaped force ring that slows enemies already at a distance from advancing much closer for a moderate amount of time (giving the group a chance to get the upper hand)

I'll coin a new term for this... rAOE !

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Okay, so I spend a couple of days away from the forums, and look at all the great suggestions added to this basic framework.

@Lecto: I like the idea of a reputation vendor specifically for this mode. Perhaps there are specialized stim packs, and artifacts that increase alacrity (since the Devs have said that alacrity is getting a "boost" in 3.0) to help recover more quickly as the fight goes on. Maybe even some NPC combatants that you can "hire" to provide additional meat-targets for more squishy teams.

Also, I like the idea of the "bonus missions". Similar to how we get these during our normal questing, these bonus missions can have their completion time limited to a specific wave or round of waves. If you don't complete the bonus in that time-frame, you don't get the bonus reward.

@anonnn: The "special weapons/abilities" idea fits extremely well into this concept. In PvP, there are those cool little "boost" items you can pick up for a temporary enhancement. The same kind of thing could be implemented in this game mode - either as a pick-up item somewhere on the map, or as a "mission" item that you are given at the start of a game. I kinda prefer the idea of a pick-up item, but both implementations have merit.

I especially like the idea of "combo" abilities that can be used in conjunction with one another. While I would still like to have the ability to play a solo version of this, providing a real reason to group up with other players definitely makes the lone-wolf style less appealing.

@Darth__Reaver: I love the idea of making a "horror" style map for this, complete with spooky sound effects and dark lighting and such. They've started doing a little bit of this in a couple of areas (CZ and Black Hole quests), but it would be so neat to amp it up a bit and go almost Doom/Dead Space/etc. style with it.

So many neat ideas that are really starting to flesh this concept out. I can just imagine that one day the Devs will take a look at this thread and think, "What an awesome idea! We can do that!" hint, hint :w_tongue:

BTW Lecto, in response to your question so many posts back, I play pretty much exclusively on Jung Ma.

Thing people will get the wrong idea like in my thread where they feel it would be trash mobs but no. Think about the speed boost traps all in warzones that can be used. I'm think of mansion in gears 1 style where rakgouls are chasing you and then you blast the walls and have pieces of the house cave in on them in to turn around and there is a huge boss fight. Jeez you could even do a story and add in indoor planets which I always wanted.

No reason to stifle yourself, moreover, any feedback you have is good. Post as often as you like! I know the map you're speaking of, moreover, I'm a HUGE gears fan. With the exception of Judgement, it was mostly awful with few bright spots. "Geo-Mod" tech would be nice (destructive environment), but the question is how would it effect game-play in a meaningful way? I'm sure they could craft some kind of map that would lend itself to a indoor area -- like a space dock or something.

An excellent idea!

I guess my main concept I'm trying to add to this is for there to be a special ability that has a short cooldown of perhaps 2 minutes, that's designed to be used against large mobs of smaller enemies (since this is the theme of onslaught). Commando is my favorite advanced class, and for Commando I imagine something like a Brutal Warrior Yell that lets out a

as the commando fires his assault cannon while turning in a full circle, knocking back all enemies a considerable distance and doing moderate damage to any that are very close.

I dono, I get the feeling you're thinking dynasty warriors rather than a traditional survival mode. I'm thinking a little more epic than a yell, but I get where you're coming from & I respect that. Kinda sounds like a Rambo thing? I'd still like to see a bigger weapon in this role though than your standard Weapon. Maybe change the name too? Massive yell sounds like something a sorc or warrior would do.

Any mixture of skills like this that would be fantastic when used together would be AWESOME for onslaught mode battles. Each advanced class could have 3 abilities of extremely varied purpose, so that given any two advanced classes, at least 1 of their abilities would be extremely useful with an ability of the other advanced class. And combos of 3 or 4 abilities is perhaps possible! . . :eek:. :cool:

The concept for me is to ensure that the abilities are designed so that using teamwork makes all the difference.

I do like the idea of combining abilities though, moreover, it might make some under-played classes played more frequently. Personally, I would like to see some of these abilities be supportive in nature rather than purely offensive. Like how I was talking about Battle Meditation earlier. A sage could go into a trace for a turn, but all his allies would take massive buffs from his trance (Alacrity + Attack). This could make them 2x or 3x more powerful for one round (could be very useful on a boss round {especially later on}). Now I know this might sound boring for the Sage/Sorc, but I have a remedy for that.....

Once you enter your trance you could go into a "General Mode", kinda like you would in a RTS. You'd be able to select some units & try to control them....maybe you could even slip into them & take control of them for a while!?! Combine this with say a unit that could call in reinforcements & you'd have something pretty special. It could take the enemy off guard & force them to turn on their own for a short while. But, I would think that would have to nullify your buffs to an extent depending on the strength of the enemy. Maybe be able to place way points on the map to help your allies? You could counter all of this by having "Force Aware" units later on that could block the meditation, or even try to take over or disable the Sorc/Sage after they attempt the take-over. This is the kinda scale I'm talking about, & while they would be OP early on, I don't think they would be as the game progressed. I think the other abilities should be similar in scale.

PS: Maybe have cool-downs on said abilities...say you couldn't use it for a few turns (maybe even 10)....even if you pick up a bonus item? You don't want people using them willy-nilly & breezing through.

@Lecto: I like the idea of a reputation vendor specifically for this mode. Perhaps there are specialized stim packs, and artifacts that increase alacrity (since the Devs have said that alacrity is getting a "boost" in 3.0) to help recover more quickly as the fight goes on. Maybe even some NPC combatants that you can "hire" to provide additional meat-targets for more squishy teams.

Also, I like the idea of the "bonus missions". Similar to how we get these during our normal questing, these bonus missions can have their completion time limited to a specific wave or round of waves. If you don't complete the bonus in that time-frame, you don't get the bonus reward.

I like the idea of the stim-packs, but you'd have to make it so they don't work anywhere else. Kinda like how War-Zone stims don't work outside of WZs, moreover, that could break the game at large in so many ways. As for hiring NPCs, I'm all about that....but they need to cost comms.

@anonnn: The "special weapons/abilities" idea fits extremely well into this concept. In PvP, there are those cool little "boost" items you can pick up for a temporary enhancement. The same kind of thing could be implemented in this game mode - either as a pick-up item somewhere on the map, or as a "mission" item that you are given at the start of a game. I kinda prefer the idea of a pick-up item, but both implementations have merit.

I especially like the idea of "combo" abilities that can be used in conjunction with one another. While I would still like to have the ability to play a solo version of this, providing a real reason to group up with other players definitely makes the lone-wolf style less appealing.

I would prefer pick-ups myself (VIA missions), moreover, having to work for it means you can't abuse it as much. One per-round with a cool down after use. That would force you to be strategic in how you use it...maybe on a boss wave....maybe you're the last guy left on your team & you use it as a hail mary?

@Darth__Reaver: I love the idea of making a "horror" style map for this, complete with spooky sound effects and dark lighting and such. They've started doing a little bit of this in a couple of areas (CZ and Black Hole quests), but it would be so neat to amp it up a bit and go almost Doom/Dead Space/etc. style with it.

So many neat ideas that are really starting to flesh this concept out. I can just imagine that one day the Devs will take a look at this thread and think, "What an awesome idea! We can do that!" hint, hint :w_tongue:

I'd be all about this theme, look at what they did with the Rackghoul Flash Points! I wouldn't want all the maps to be like that, but that theme could be interesting. I'd think you'd have to have this mode in a Q, so that maps were random & you had to play them all. Or, at least have a voting system like you do in some Modern FPS while in a lobby.

BTW Lecto, in response to your question so many posts back, I play pretty much exclusively on Jung Ma.

Darn, I play on POT5....always looking for new talent lol.

Also it would cool to get insta kill and just watch mobs drop like in call of duty (the feel of being such a bad*** never gets old)
I'm still trying to think through ideas with regards to the "special abilities/weapons" concept, but this is actually one of the only "problems" I see with this game mode. In Gears and all of the other FPS games that you can play this mode, you can head-shot or insta-kill enemies in different ways (Lancer chainsaw anyone? :w_tongue:) The MMO doesn't really give you the ability to do this unless the mobs are considerably lower level than your character. That means that it'd take a lot longer to take down any single mob in this venue than it might in an FPS version.

My thoughts on this: Have things like the explosive containers placed randomly and liberally around the arena, along with pick-up items like grenades to do massive amounts of damage to single targets or groups of mobs in an area. This can even play into the "special abilities/weapons" idea a little more where, these "generic" weapon/ammo spawns pop up more frequently (but not too frequently) so as to provide a way to help manage the oncoming crowd. I dunno... maybe I'm overthinking it a bit. :w_confused:

No reason to stifle yourself, moreover, any feedback you have is good. Post as often as you like! I know the map you're speaking of, moreover, I'm a HUGE gears fan. With the exception of Judgement, it was mostly awful with few bright spots. "Geo-Mod" tech would be nice (destructive environment), but the question is how would it effect game-play in a meaningful way? I'm sure they could craft some kind of map that would lend itself to a indoor area -- like a space dock or something.
As for the indoor arenas, I'm imagining something like the hospital on Taris, but completely closed in like a huttball map. Or, even something like the Voidstar PvP map. The other one I think of is the Gears map in the grocery store (obviously it would need to be "Star-Wars-ified", but the concept is good). There are so many different ways you can take this.
I do like the idea of combining abilities though, moreover, it might make some under-played classes played more frequently. Personally, I would like to see some of these abilities be supportive in nature rather than purely offensive. Like how I was talking about Battle Meditation earlier. A sage could go into a trace for a turn, but all his allies would take massive buffs from his trance (Alacrity + Attack). This could make them 2x or 3x more powerful for one round (could be very useful on a boss round {especially later on}). Now I know this might sound boring for the Sage/Sorc, but I have a remedy for that.....

Once you enter your trance you could go into a "General Mode", kinda like you would in a RTS. You'd be able to select some units & try to control them....maybe you could even slip into them & take control of them for a while!?! Combine this with say a unit that could call in reinforcements & you'd have something pretty special. It could take the enemy off guard & force them to turn on their own for a short while. But, I would think that would have to nullify your buffs to an extent depending on the strength of the enemy. Maybe be able to place way points on the map to help your allies? You could counter all of this by having "Force Aware" units later on that could block the meditation, or even try to take over or disable the Sorc/Sage after they attempt the take-over. This is the kinda scale I'm talking about, & while they would be OP early on, I don't think they would be as the game progressed. I think the other abilities should be similar in scale.

PS: Maybe have cool-downs on said abilities...say you couldn't use it for a few turns (maybe even 10)....even if you pick up a bonus item? You don't want people using them willy-nilly & breezing through.

I like the concept you have for the Battle Meditation, especially by giving the Sorc/Sage something they can do while their character is "meditating". The thing to be careful of here would be to make sure that any other players are aware that you're doing it and your toon needs to be protected since they cannot defend themselves. Like I said at the top of this post, I'm trying to give some real thought to potential abilities for each class - and even moreso, each advanced class - that would make sense for their role. Things like the Battle Meditation make sense for a Sage especially (lore-wise), since they tend to be the more diplomatic and internal Jedi. Something more "assassin-y" would be required for the Shadow. Since these are intended to be temporary effects, perhaps something like a continual stealth that doesn't break on attack.

Anyway, I'm rambling now. I'd probably better get back to work. Let's keep these ideas coming! :w_big_grin:

I'm still trying to think through ideas with regards to the "special abilities/weapons" concept, but this is actually one of the only "problems" I see with this game mode. In Gears and all of the other FPS games that you can play this mode, you can head-shot or insta-kill enemies in different ways (Lancer chainsaw anyone? :w_tongue:) The MMO doesn't really give you the ability to do this unless the mobs are considerably lower level than your character. That means that it'd take a lot longer to take down any single mob in this venue than it might in an FPS version.

My thoughts on this: Have things like the explosive containers placed randomly and liberally around the arena, along with pick-up items like grenades to do massive amounts of damage to single targets or groups of mobs in an area. This can even play into the "special abilities/weapons" idea a little more where, these "generic" weapon/ammo spawns pop up more frequently (but not too frequently) so as to provide a way to help manage the oncoming crowd. I dunno... maybe I'm over thinking it a bit. :w_confused:

Well, you could address those kinda kills with weak enemies? I mean you'd have normal enemies sprinkled about (silvers & golds) , but run of the mill grunts could have very little HP so they could easily be taken out with AoEs. Beyond this, spawn rates could easily manage this issue too.

As for the barrels...that gives me pause. A big concern of mine is are we talking about making it too easy too early on at some point? I like the idea of having various barrels, but I would not want a ton of them. Maybe have a set amount re-spawn every wave? I'd keep them in the same spots too so teams could use them strategically. "Generic" weapon/ammo spawns could be interesting, but hard to do with all the different classes. A Jedi can't pick up the same ammo as a Trooper or Smuggler, moreover, they would need a stim...or a different light-saber crystal. They'd have to be generic power-ups...kind of arcade-y...but this mode doesn't need a serious story -- just 1 scenario per map.

I like the concept you have for the Battle Meditation, especially by giving the Sorc/Sage something they can do while their character is "meditating". The thing to be careful of here would be to make sure that any other players are aware that you're doing it and your toon needs to be protected since they cannot defend themselves. Like I said at the top of this post, I'm trying to give some real thought to potential abilities for each class - and even moreso, each advanced class - that would make sense for their role. Things like the Battle Meditation make sense for a Sage especially (lore-wise), since they tend to be the more diplomatic and internal Jedi. Something more "assassin-y" would be required for the Shadow. Since these are intended to be temporary effects, perhaps something like a continual stealth that doesn't break on attack.

Anyway, I'm rambling now. I'd probably better get back to work. Let's keep these ideas coming! :w_big_grin:

Hemm....I hadn't considered having to alert other players to the meditation. I'm used to just being able to call things out over comms. Well, it could give players a visual "aura" to glow around them (your teammates)...white for pubs....red for imps...maybe have some kind of audio que as well at the start of the meditation. Well, being immobile for a round would mean you'd have to pick a good location (somewhere defendable), I had just assumed you'd use your base.

I like the idea of the Shadows having a "perma-cloke" for a round, kinda like a predator lol. You'd have to have a way for them to be attacked though....this could be very broken for boss waves. If the boss can't see them....then they can't be attacked -- insta win. Maybe have them be able to break out if they are hit with a AoE? But have 0 cool down on being able to re-cloke once out of combat? Maybe make their back stab an insta-kill when the "Special ability" is activated (not useable on bosses)? Speed + Attack bonuses would be awarded when not in cloke...kinda like a rage mode?

PS: Just thought of this, but I think there should be a 3min pause between waves to revive team mates & rebuild/fortify structures. This could be skipped with a Ready Check.

I mean I suggested this before I thought it was a good idea but got shot down like many of my ideas have a simulation of malicor 5 (forgot how to spell it) and fight tons of crazy mandalorian neo crusaders and run in to activate the mass shadow generator and win the wargame

Well..."winning" kinda goes against the idea of a horde/survival mode in my opinion. I'm thinking this is one of those things that would have a game wide leader-board rather than individual victories. BUT, aside from that having a bonus mission the ends a wave could be doable....it would just have to be really hard to get to. Could be a boss wave even!! Maybe you can't actually beat the boss....but that you'd split up your group...one to stop him from wrecking your base or blowing up a bomb or something....while the other group went to attack the generator? Could be refreshing!! :rak_03:

...Maybe make their back stab an insta-kill when the "Special ability" is activated (not useable on bosses)?

Given that it's an endless onslaught and the enemies will keep getting more difficult no matter what you do, an insta-kill ability thrown in would be really cool.

Well..."winning" kinda goes against the idea of a horde/survival mode in my opinion. I'm thinking this is one of those things that would have a game wide leader-board rather than individual victories. BUT, aside from that having a bonus mission the ends a wave could be doable....it would just have to be really hard to get to. Could be a boss wave even!! Maybe you can't actually beat the boss....but that you'd split up your group...one to stop him from wrecking your base or blowing up a bomb or something....while the other group went to attack the generator? Could be refreshing!! :rak_03:

Well the point was i was thinking of battle front a little... Endless wave style summon revan to help. Fight mandalore the ultimate. And getting to the MSG was part of my original idea but a warzone I'm here the link http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=752798 but ya these ideas are kinda mashing together atm

Jung ma FTW

Edited by Darth__Reaver

Given that it's an endless onslaught and the enemies will keep getting more difficult no matter what you do, an insta-kill ability thrown in would be really cool.

Yeah, wouldn't want to give it to everyone -- 1 class only. I think you should have to be cloked to use it too. Kinda fits into the whole "stealthed assassin" deal. Just imagine later into the game you get a BUNCH of gold enemies one round....Shadow/Assassin activates his ability.....goes out there & slowly picks them all off while the rest of the team holds their attention.

I mean I suggested this before I thought it was a good idea but got shot down like many of my ideas have a simulation of malicor 5 (forgot how to spell it) and fight tons of crazy mandalorian neo crusaders and run in to activate the mass shadow generator and win the wargame
I love the fact that this thread is so "positive" - with people actually offering suggestions for different concerns instead of just saying "Your idea sucks... go QQ somewhere while we flame everything you've proposed and tear it all down brick by brick". In that spirit, I want to respond to this by saying that what you're describing here sounds to me more like a Flashpoint or Operation, with a definitive end goal - "activate the mass shadow generator and win the wargame". I may have misunderstood what you were describing, but the concept sounds a little removed from the idea that is being proposed here. In this game mode, there would be no set ending. There really is no "winning" this kind of game. You will eventually die. If you somehow manage to survive through 1,000 waves of oncoming enemies, the only "win" you achieve is to have the opportunity to play the 1,001st wave.

Well, you could address those kinda kills with weak enemies? I mean you'd have normal enemies sprinkled about (silvers & golds) , but run of the mill grunts could have very little HP so they could easily be taken out with AoEs. Beyond this, spawn rates could easily manage this issue too.

As for the barrels...that gives me pause. A big concern of mine is are we talking about making it too easy too early on at some point? I like the idea of having various barrels, but I would not want a ton of them. Maybe have a set amount re-spawn every wave? I'd keep them in the same spots too so teams could use them strategically. "Generic" weapon/ammo spawns could be interesting, but hard to do with all the different classes. A Jedi can't pick up the same ammo as a Trooper or Smuggler, moreover, they would need a stim...or a different light-saber crystal. They'd have to be generic power-ups...kind of arcade-y...but this mode doesn't need a serious story -- just 1 scenario per map.

I think the weak enemies are what I'm most concerned with here. I mean, when you're questing on a level-appropriate planet, even the "weak" enemies that are your level take more than a few hits to take down solo. At least with your companion, you can space it out a little bit, but there's nothing (short of HK's Assassinate ability on silvers) that gives you any sort of one-shot kill. Plus, after each group of 4-5 or so enemies you fight, you're generally going to want to recover before you take on the next group. In normal PvE, you can pretty much take all the time you want to recover, but this mode wouldn't give you any such luxury. You would almost have to make the grunts a few levels lower than the player to be able to stand a chance of surviving even one wave. Either that, or spawn small groups at a time, which kinda defeats the whole "onslaught" feel to the game mode IMO.

As for the barrels, I agree that the respawn points should remain static. That definitely provides a strategic benefit once you know where they are and how often they respawn. There should be a "reasonable" amount - I don't want a barrel every 3m on the battlefield, but there should definitely be more than 2 or 3 total barrels in any given arena.

With regards to the "Generic" weapon/ammo, I see this as REALLY generic. I mentioned grenades (something anyone can pick up and use), but other examples might be like a kamikaze droid that you can send to an area to explode, or something along those lines. The idea is really more to provide an additional means of crowd control for when things start to get really "hairy" and you have more mobs than you can handle.

Really excellent point at the end here, though. We aren't trying to make some great "story" out of this. That's what the rest of the game is for. This game mode has a very simple concept of "survive as long as possible". Any "story" that goes along with it would simply be to explain what map you're playing and what enemies you're fighting.

I like the idea of the Shadows having a "perma-cloke" for a round, kinda like a predator lol. You'd have to have a way for them to be attacked though....this could be very broken for boss waves. If the boss can't see them....then they can't be attacked -- insta win. Maybe have them be able to break out if they are hit with a AoE? But have 0 cool down on being able to re-cloke once out of combat? Maybe make their back stab an insta-kill when the "Special ability" is activated (not useable on bosses)? Speed + Attack bonuses would be awarded when not in cloke...kinda like a rage mode?
Yeah, like I said, I'm still trying to really think about concepts and mechanics for these abilities, but the concept is generally sound. You're definitely right in that there would have to be a way to negate the "perma-cloak", or at least implement a considerable "downside" to using it (like your movement speed is reduced and your GCD is increased while cloaked). There are just so many ways to make this happen, and so many possible directions to take it.

PS: Just thought of this, but I think there should be a 3min pause between waves to revive team mates & rebuild/fortify structures. This could be skipped with a Ready Check.
Great point. I guess I kinda assumed this in the general gameplay concept, but I like the idea of adding the Ready Check option. If you're playing with a group (I'm still gunning for a "solo-mode" version), and everyone is ready, let them go ahead and start the next wave. But, if even one player needs some extra time, let them have it to prepare for the next wave.

As for the barrels, I agree that the respawn points should remain static. That definitely provides a strategic benefit once you know where they are and how often they respawn. There should be a "reasonable" amount - I don't want a barrel every 3m on the battlefield, but there should definitely be more than 2 or 3 total barrels in any given arena.

My only question is....do we make the barrel types random, or are they all explosive? My only thought in regards to explosive barrels is that upon explosion they should be able to 1 hit K.O. weak units. Maybe you could buy Trip Mines to put around your base (that act just like the various barrels)?

With regards to the "Generic" weapon/ammo, I see this as REALLY generic. I mentioned grenades (something anyone can pick up and use), but other examples might be like a kamikaze droid that you can send to an area to explode, or something along those lines. The idea is really more to provide an additional means of crowd control for when things start to get really "hairy" and you have more mobs than you can handle.

Just thought of something with the whole "Generic" weapon/ammo, you could buy these items instead of picking them up? Perhaps you could buy a bleed effect to add to your standard attacks (might last a couple of rounds)? Or, like you said an explosive grenade? Freeze Grenades? Stun Ammo (chance of stun per attack not guarantee)?

Dangit! One problem with writing walls of text is that you miss all of the posts in between... :w_tongue:

I like the idea of making an alternate way to end some waves other than just killing everything. There could be something that pops up on-screen to let you know that your "win condition" for the wave is different, kinda like in Voidstar where it warns you when one team has made it through each barrier. When the wave starts, you get a message that says "Activate the Mass Shadow Generator" That way you know that you have to do something more than eradicate all enemies in order to finish the wave.

Well the point was i was thinking of battle front a little... Endless wave style summon revan to help. Fight mandalore the ultimate. And getting to the MSG was part of my original idea but a warzone I'm here the link http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=752798 but ya these ideas are kinda mashing together atm

Jung ma FTW

I see what you're saying now, and I agree that it could certainly work well with this game style. The idea of an "unbeatable" boss with a different way to complete a particular wave is certainly a neat addition to the base concept (see above).

I think it would almost be necessitated to some extent by the game mechanics. Of course, it would require some serious restrictions to prevent abuse and keep it from making everything "easy-mode".

My only question is....do we make the barrel types random, or are they all explosive? My only thought in regards to explosive barrels is that upon explosion they should be able to 1 hit K.O. weak units. Maybe you could buy Trip Mines to put around your base (that act just like the various barrels)?
I think there could some different barrel types, but the same types would always spawn in the same area. The Trip Mines idea could work, as long as you can buy them in between waves. They'd just be one more of the offensive/defensive items you purchase and set up prior to a wave's beginning. You get your turrets, kolto tanks, NPC's, mines, etc. and get them all positioned before the start of the wave (during the 3 minute recovery period).

Just thought of something with the whole "Generic" weapon/ammo, you could buy these items instead of picking them up? Perhaps you could buy a bleed effect to add to your standard attacks (might last a couple of rounds)? Or, like you said an explosive grenade? Freeze Grenades? Stun Ammo (chance of stun per attack not guarantee)?
This is something else that you could purchase between waves so as to try to prepare for the incoming enemies. Buy an extra bleed or stun effect for your weapon for the upcoming round, and, while you're setting up your perimeter, use the purchased enhancement to activate the improvement to your weapon. Buy some freeze/explosive/poison grenades to use when the number of enemies starts to get too much to handle. The grenades could be a combination of purchasable and pick-up items so that if you run out, you can go try to scavenge for more (and hope you don't end up like Gavroche from Les Misérables). It could be only one method or the other (purchase OR pick-up), but I think the added danger of the scavenging would make having both options available acceptable.

Honestly there is alot to read here... So ill just throw this out as well. Just like the flashpoint concaloid (bugs once again I'm a pvper the names of thing dont matter to me) you had to get on turrets now mind you this was a first for me and I was blown away by it and so I feel MOUNTED turrets or even basililk war droids (sorry I have mandalorian heart) can also be supports or drops or even part of a moving from zone to zone type deal to help the party BUT see these turrets would have ammo. (Now dont kill me the war droids would never happen I KNOW!!!!!!) but if it ever were it would allow "mounted combat" which would be awesome.

Honestly there is alot to read here... So ill just throw this out as well. Just like the flashpoint concaloid (bugs once again I'm a pvper the names of thing dont matter to me) you had to get on turrets now mind you this was a first for me and I was blown away by it and so I feel MOUNTED turrets or even basililk war droids (sorry I have mandalorian heart) can also be supports or drops or even part of a moving from zone to zone type deal to help the party BUT see these turrets would have ammo. (Now dont kill me the war droids would never happen I KNOW!!!!!!) but if it ever were it would allow "mounted combat" which would be awesome.
I think mounted combat would be pretty sweet to throw into the mix. The Basilisk would be uber-cool to use for this. This is another of those types of things could be purchased between waves, although something like a Basilisk would require a LOT of commendations, so you would have had to save up for a few rounds in order to get it. Of course, you'd keep it from one wave to another until it was destroyed, but repair costs would be pretty high for that as well.

Why not have manned turrets, they already exist in the game. You could take over an automated turret if you've already built one (not sure why you'd want too lol). I think it would be cool to be able to add modifiers onto them, just like with your normal weapons (with your comms of course): Bleed, stun, Posion, etc. The only issue is that you've have to design enemies on every map that could have advantages to each & every defense in the game. You don't want any defenses to be OP, or impossible to overcome.

I think you should be able to purchase a repair kits as well....that way you can repair fortifications during a wave so long as it not been totally destroyed. Repair kits could consume PP or Mana so they aren't abused...just like any of your other normal moves.

I think mounted combat would be pretty sweet to throw into the mix. The Basilisk would be uber-cool to use for this. This is another of those types of things could be purchased between waves, although something like a Basilisk would require a LOT of commendations, so you would have had to save up for a few rounds in order to get it. Of course, you'd keep it from one wave to another until it was destroyed, but repair costs would be pretty high for that as well.

Well the war droid would be the best mount you could buy but there will be others like a common speeder to a walker

Why not have manned turrets, they already exist in the game. You could take over an automated turret if you've already built one (not sure why you'd want too lol). I think it would be cool to be able to add modifiers onto them, just like with your normal weapons (with your comms of course): Bleed, stun, Posion, etc. The only issue is that you've have to design enemies on every map that could have advantages to each & every defense in the game. You don't want any defenses to be OP, or impossible to overcome.

I think you should be able to purchase a repair kits as well....that way you can repair fortifications during a wave so long as it not been totally destroyed. Repair kits could consume PP or Mana so they aren't abused...just like any of your other normal moves.

That's what I ment the mounted turrets from the bug flashpoint

Hmmm onslaught mode could use some long-term-effect grenades! Suppose you're getting to the upper difficulty levels, baddies are starting to swarm your squad from all sides, and you can't keep up with the spawn rate and it's really starting to overwhelm the group.

Any Trooper in group jumps in, throws a Riot Grenade on the side where baddies are attacking in the largest numbers... and POOF a huge gas cloud erupts from the grenade which slows all enemies to 10% movement speed and does small damage continually as they creep their way through the gas cloud. This gives a chance to round them up for AOE, slows down the onslaught from a large part of that side of the battlefield... and the gas cloud lasts for at least 90 seconds. During that 90 seconds, if any baddies creep their way all the way out of the gas cloud, they have a -50% damage debuff from inhaling all the gas.

I'm imagining the gas cloud as twice the diameter of the Sage's force quake ability... really really big.

Why not have manned turrets, they already exist in the game. You could take over an automated turret if you've already built one (not sure why you'd want too lol).

If you've ever been in Kaon Under Siege, you might know that if you get someone experienced on that singular turret halfway through, it can make all the difference. Which would be extremely fun in an onslaught mode, if turrets can be built and make it possible to maintain the upper hand for at least a few rounds. They might need to put something into the AI that spawns tech-assault enemies that specifically try to destroy the turret with rDPS attacks, necessitating the rest of the group to watch constantly for those spawns and go defeat them before they do much damage to the turret.