I got a promotion! Apparently I'm the new Guild Master!??!

ImmortalLowlife

So I logged in on one of my newer alts this weekend and much to my surprise discovered I'd been promoted to Guild master. :confused: Now I've never run a guild b4....hell I'm not even sure how to invite someone to join a guild. :( I've run my own business for over 10yrs, so I feel like I can run a guild. I realize off top that what I really need now is knowledge. So I'm asking y'all for tips & pointers. :D Any advice would be greatly appreciated! So far I've.....

1. Changed the login message to reflect the guild being under new management.

2. Asked the "officers" to message me and let me know if they're still playing.

3. Discovered we have a guild bank. Lol

Also....any chance I can change the name of the guild?

Edited by ImmortalLowlife
adding more

If you got autopromoted, it means that the previous leader didn't login for 29 days. It also means that you must have the highest rank after him, if I am not mistaken. Did you have higher rank than the officers? If no, then none of them play any longer, I suppose. Check under "details" in the guild tab for activity. It's the column which shows rank. If you click the arrow next to it, you can sort by "last online". Wouldn't be surprised if you are the only active player left. It's how I became GM of two different guilds with two imperial alts. ;)

There's really no way to learn guild stuff, it's sort of on-the-job training.

Inviting is /ginvite name

There are several things you can do from the guild roster. Open it up, click on DETAILS and enable VIEW OFFLINE MEMBERS. There are two drop downs here that you can change the fields you see. There are Member Notes, Officer Notes, Guild Rank, and Last Played. You can sort the roster by these fields.

From this it's easy to change rank or remove members, or change the notes. Just right click on the name, and you'll see your options.

At the bottom of the window is a tab for RANKS. This is where you add or delete ranks, change the names of ranks (Right click on the rank name and choose EDIT), and set permissions for your members. Permissions are things such as: which chat channels they can see, reading or editing Notes, editing the MOTD or Guild Description. You can also change the hierarchy of the ranks, other than Guild Master is always at the top.

At the guild bank, there's a MANAGE tab. This is where you set permission for the bank, and those are set by rank.

Hope this helps.

If you got autopromoted, it means that the previous leader didn't login for 29 days. It also means that you must have the highest rank after him, if I am not mistaken. Did you have higher rank than the officers? If no, then none of them play any longer, I suppose. Check under "details" in the guild tab for activity. It's the column which shows rank. If you click the arrow next to it, you can sort by "last online". Wouldn't be surprised if you are the only active player left. It's how I became GM of two different guilds with two imperial alts. ;)

It means he's the highest ranking member who logged in after the guild owner's 30 days expired. If he wasn't an officer, it probably means the officers are gone, too. If he has been gone a long time, it almost certainly means the entire guild is dead.

One way to check is in the standard guild UI - there's a view that shows elapsed time since last login for each member.

It means he's the highest ranking member who logged in after the guild owner's 30 days expired. If he wasn't an officer, it probably means the officers are gone, too. If he has been gone a long time, it almost certainly means the entire guild is dead.

One way to check is in the standard guild UI - there's a view that shows elapsed time since last login for each member.

It means that he is the only one Subbed player in the guild.

If guildleader gone f2p (or if his sub ended and he didnt bother to renew it) the guild leadership is transfered to highest ranked person who have a subscription.

F2P person can be a guild leader only for a f2p guild.

Slight twist to that: a lower-ranked Subscriber will get promoted to Guild Leader over higher-ranked F2P/Preferred players, even if they are still active. So it's possible they are still playing the game, but if they're doing so as non-subs you'll still leap-frog them when the game auto-promotes a new Guild Leader after the old one has been inactive.

The "Last Online" thing, hidden as it is, was a godsend when I got auto-promoted to GL, definitely helpful for finding who to reach out to if you're trying to get the ball rolling again with a guild.

congrats, as a guildmaster myself I welcome you to the glorious world of commanding people. Make sure to have them bow to you, and make sure every few months to check for low levels who have not logged in for about 4 or 5 months to kick them out while your guild members watch, its hilarious to see them kind of freak out :D

p.s. now you got to schedule activities, or even do a raffle with some speeder or something you do not want but they might like, it keeps them excited.

congrats, as a guildmaster myself I welcome you to the glorious world of commanding people. Make sure to have them bow to you, and make sure every few months to check for low levels who have not logged in for about 4 or 5 months to kick them out while your guild members watch, its hilarious to see them kind of freak out :D

p.s. now you got to schedule activities, or even do a raffle with some speeder or something you do not want but they might like, it keeps them excited.

Or you might want to figure out a theme for your guild, what sort of activities you'll do, what sort of players you plan to appeal to and go from there. That is, if you want to build a strong, lasting guild that you don't have to bribe players to remain in.

Just a thought.

I'm not a GM myself. But in my Imperial guild we have a weekly lottery. 10k credits to get in and the winners get a nice amount of cash, choice of mount/pet etc. Real fun stuff :) My Mara walked away with a Tauntaun mount last night :cool: Edited by SandsOfArrakis

Cool....I'll keep all off this in mind. It's kinda strange really, I just created that alt during the last 2XP weekend, and played it enough to get my ship. My rank was recruit as far as I know:rolleyes:. I joined the guild around lvl 7. But it's a character I plan to play a lot with (because I unlocked hk to lvl with). So I'll check to see if I'm the" last man standing" and go from there......AND I'm changing the name lol :D

I am the GM of my guild since yesterday as well, cuz his sub ran out and the system passed it on to me. So i returned it back.

Are you sure the original GM is not in the game anymore, he may just lost it for same reason.

Not sure really. I did ask everyone who was still active to mail me and let me know. Figured I'd give it a week or so before I started making any major changes.