The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Legacy Based Cosmetic Appearance Tabs

EnkiduNineEight

as someone said above, bioware would stand a change to make a lot of money from who would otherwise not waste money buying outfits simply because there is no real use for it ... I want my toon to look like a hardcore jedi with some of the nice costume outfits they have, but alas, i am not willing to part with my money unless those costumes have a purpose (as another also said: The cost of remodding and such is a big deterrent).

Signed.

exactly this:d

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What do people think of the implementation suggestion?

I'm partial to the hybrid Idea I came up with but would be open to seeing other ideas on how to best implement this.

The system I think would work best is compiled in one post here since I had several different ideas.

First, its based on your legacy, so as you level your legacy, you have options for additional closet spaces, with a maximum of five (+ the base set of your normal 'paper doll' where you get your equipment/attributes from). Restrict f2p and Preferred players to fewer available costume change slots.

F2P gets two possible slots, Base slot + 1 (unless they buy unlocks).

Preferred gets 4 - Base plus 3 slots (remainder purchasable with unlocks)

Sub gets 6 (Base +5, no need to purchase unlocks, just level your legacy)

Mechanics

When you get your ship, in the captains quarters is a 'closet' which acts like a cargo bay, with one tab for each outfit. The tabs though have slot spaces just for worn equipment that changes your appearance. So no Earpiece, relics, implants, etc. But would have space for weapons/offhand (even though many offhands do not change your appearance)

This means there is a box for:

Head

Torso

Hands

Wrists

Waist

Legs

Feet

Primary Hand

Secondary Hand

So nine spaces, x5 potential closet spaces for a total of additional 'storage' of 45 items.

Each Equipment locker/closet space has the ability to press a 'preview' and it brings up your preview window wearing all the equipment slotted. This changes ONLY your cosmetic appearance. The equipment you put on your players personal 'paper doll' is what provides your stats.

Your 'Paper Doll' screen is modified, where now you have the button you can press to open the options choices (unify colours, show helmet, etc) a new set of options is made available. Basically 5 additional check boxes. When you check a box, that corresponding closet space will be displayed. If you have nothing in that closet space, your normal equipment remains displayed.

What do people think of the implementation suggestion?

I'm partial to the hybrid Idea I came up with but would be open to seeing other ideas on how to best implement this.

The system I think would work best is compiled in one post here since I had several different ideas.

First, its based on your legacy, so as you level your legacy, you have options for additional closet spaces, with a maximum of five (+ the base set of your normal 'paper doll' where you get your equipment/attributes from). Restrict f2p and Preferred players to fewer available costume change slots.

F2P gets two possible slots, Base slot + 1 (unless they buy unlocks).

Preferred gets 4 - Base plus 3 slots (remainder purchasable with unlocks)

Sub gets 6 (Base +5, no need to purchase unlocks, just level your legacy)

Mechanics

When you get your ship, in the captains quarters is a 'closet' which acts like a cargo bay, with one tab for each outfit. The tabs though have slot spaces just for worn equipment that changes your appearance. So no Earpiece, relics, implants, etc. But would have space for weapons/offhand (even though many offhands do not change your appearance)

This means there is a box for:

Head

Torso

Hands

Wrists

Waist

Legs

Feet

Primary Hand

Secondary Hand

So nine spaces, x5 potential closet spaces for a total of additional 'storage' of 45 items.

Each Equipment locker/closet space has the ability to press a 'preview' and it brings up your preview window wearing all the equipment slotted. This changes ONLY your cosmetic appearance. The equipment you put on your players personal 'paper doll' is what provides your stats.

Your 'Paper Doll' screen is modified, where now you have the button you can press to open the options choices (unify colours, show helmet, etc) a new set of options is made available. Basically 5 additional check boxes. When you check a box, that corresponding closet space will be displayed. If you have nothing in that closet space, your normal equipment remains displayed.

It sounds good. As I understand it, when you say "Legacy-based," you don't mean that all characters share the appearance tabs right? Just that each character has separate appearance tabs, the number of which is based on Legacy-level? That's what I gathered.

Dunno why I didn't read this idea sooner!!! :tran_eek:

This would turn the entire galaxy as it should be (it's a similar system to the appearance marked items on SWG): a place full of the most diverse kind of people ever seen.

/agree, /support, /signed and /whatevermakesthisgolive!!! :rod_wink_g:

I have no honest clue how long it would take to implement something like this, but it would be a perfect addition to the current set of planned additions and give people who have a 'normal' ship but not a Guild Ship yet something as well.

Giving the Haves more stuff but leaving the 'have nots' further behind isn't a good idea. So introducing something like this would balance out somewhat the addition of all the content that will only be accessible if you have a big guild and lots of money.

• 2 weeks later...

Huh, interesting. However when I suggested this over a month ago there was little interest.

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=732241

Hopefully your thread gets more reception than mine did.

I still think it is a novel idea and from a developer standpoint not extremely difficult to implement. You could basically do it with a quick Boolean check. Basically if optional slot(aka cosmetic slot) is filled use optional slot resource(in that case the costume resource)

The only hard part would be redesigning the user/player interface to include that feature but still doable and would be beneficial since it would drive the cosmetic junkies to purchase more and more outfits being that there would be no need to mod them just for RP purposes

Edited by sethdil

I have a question on appearance:

Does having a full set in collections, if you delete it can you wear again through collections?

If thats not the case, this could work for appearance tabs and collections, add the tab that links all owned collection gear so the player can wear any outfit he managed to get .

Example:

Apperance tab with 3 full gear slots, collections as a scroll down menu listing everything you own. you can still mix gear by removing the pieces from the appearance tab at convenience.

Edited by ZahirS

I have a question on appearance:

Does having a full set in collections, if you delete it can you wear again through collections?

If thats not the case, this could work for appearance tabs and collections, add the tab that links all owned collection gear so the player can wear any outfit he managed to get .

Example:

Apperance tab with 3 full gear slots, collections as a scroll down menu listing everything you own. you can still mix gear by removing the pieces from the appearance tab at convenience.

Yes, once many of the cartel market items are in your collection, you can delete the item and then recall a new version of the item back into your inventory to use/wear whenever you want.

I had considered this as a system as well, just being able to use the collection manager to 'put on' a n appearance without changing your current equipment. While the idea may still have some merit, I wanted to create/design a system that would also incorporate 'found' items etc that aren't part of your collections while also making it somewhat more 'limited' and tied to legacy, subscription type, etc so that it was more of an 'earned' perk.

I could see a system that incorporated both options and the cartel market 'appearance' would only allow you to display the full suit, unmodified, whereas the Captain's Closet would allow you to more individually customize.

Yes, once many of the cartel market items are in your collection, you can delete the item and then recall a new version of the item back into your inventory to use/wear whenever you want.

I had considered this as a system as well, just being able to use the collection manager to 'put on' a n appearance without changing your current equipment. While the idea may still have some merit, I wanted to create/design a system that would also incorporate 'found' items etc that aren't part of your collections while also making it somewhat more 'limited' and tied to legacy, subscription type, etc so that it was more of an 'earned' perk.

I could see a system that incorporated both options and the cartel market 'appearance' would only allow you to display the full suit, unmodified, whereas the Captain's Closet would allow you to more individually customize.

Thanks, but remember better that includes the current system in which you can equip adaptive and prototype, purple and green items there.

Appearace Tab, should be not a closet but a full customizeable sets that in way doesnt take inventory space.

This could work as a perk too to boost, free for subscribers and unloackable for F2P.

Edited by ZahirS

That is the intent of the system I designed. Your current 'inventory' would not be effected and in actuality it could be seen as increasing your available inventory slightly.

NOTE: While I designed this idea before Galactic Strongholds was announced and thus put it on the ship, since the announcement of GS, I believe that using the players ship is still the preferred method of implementing this idea. The reason being it gives a purpose to the captains quarters on your ship. Presently its wasted space with no reason to use it. With this idea you would have a reason to go into that room on your ship and use the furnishings included there. _Additionally_ this would keep the ship as being important as not everyone is going to be able to buy a Stronghold etc and this should be seen as a basic feature available to all players/subscription types, though the subscribers obviously get more.

Again: How it would work....

The 'Closet' in you ships quarters becomes a usable object. It uses mechanics very similar to that of your present Ships Hold/Cargo Bays. It has up to 5 'Outfit Tabs' available depending on your legacy level and subscription model.

Each of these 'Outfit Tabs' looks very similar to your current personal player 'Paper Doll' where you equip items. It has a box just like this paper doll for each of the locations you can put an item, where you can drag and drop an item from your inventory, transferring it onto the 'Outfit Tab' box at that location.

Locations available are:

Head

Chest

Wrists

Hands

Belt

Legs

Feet

Primary Hand

Secondary Hand

So there are no slots for Relics, Implants or Earpieces as these are not displayed on your character.

This means you have 9 locations and 5 tabs for a potential addition of 45 slots of 'extra inventory' but since nly appropriate items can be placed here its really not a major impact on your storage but it does allow you to move things you may have in your Cargo Holds/inventory because you like to wear them into a more appropriate place.

Each tab will also have a 'Preview' button, so you can look at how you look with the selected outfit.

Each tab would also have a function like your paper doll where you can tell it to hide your helmet, unify your colours, etc.

Your character 'Paper Doll' screen would be modified so that the part of the GUI where you choose to hide helmet, unify colours, etc also has a choice to click to select one of your 'Outfit Tabs' and if it is clicked your character will 'change into' that equipment for their appearance only. Your STATS will be derived from the equipment on your character 'Paper Doll'. So this wont be a way to juggle equipment with different mods for different specs its merely a way to change your appearance quickly and easily.

Signed. I would love this and for the ability to be able to switch mods,enhancements, armoring and augments from our current appearance to our new chosen appearance all at once for a discounted amount of credits instead of doing it like we do now for each individual part.

Signed. I would love this and for the ability to be able to switch mods,enhancements, armoring and augments from our current appearance to our new chosen appearance all at once for a discounted amount of credits instead of doing it like we do now for each individual part.

Wih this you wouldn't have to switch anything. Mods/equipment on your main 'Paper Doll' are what you get your stats from and your default appearance. If you use one of your appearance tabs I just changes your appearance and stats etc are still derived from what you are wearing, so no need to change your mods etc at all.

Basically its like using the preview screen except instead in a side window it just changes your appearance.

Wih this you wouldn't have to switch anything. Mods/equipment on your main 'Paper Doll' are what you get your stats from and your default appearance. If you use one of your appearance tabs I just changes your appearance and stats etc are still derived from what you are wearing, so no need to change your mods etc at all.

Basically its like using the preview screen except instead in a side window it just changes your appearance.

Read everything, nice idea hope devs implement this.

The "Paper doll" could have additional slots but optional like for example a pet slot, emotes most used, and anything you can think of.

Definetly worthy idea