Watch New Galactic Strongholds Announcement Trailer

TaitWatson

Ooga booga, the CM is gonna getcha! Ooga booga!
I don't always agree with your posts but this is sig worthy, thanks :)

Can we get an answer to decorations using anchors or will it be free form or some sort of hybrid between the two?

I'm also seriously hoping for a "garage" to display our mounts in.

Edited by Trigon

• Replies 420
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Awesome job with the new housing and guild ships, damn. Can't wait to bankrupt myself on my house. Hopefully there will be some things to do on the guild ships. Er..not sure if this is the right place for this, but how will bound items work with the legacy vault e.g. armor anyone know? Or am I not understanding the legacy vault concept properly? Won't complain if bound armors work with legacy vaults though.

I'm also seriously hoping for a "garage" to display our mounts in.

That would be awesome, even if they limited it to choosing a small number of mounts from your available collection to display in there at a time (since there have to be over a hundred available by now, and there's no way they'd make one big enough to hold all of them, especially given that they are regularly releasing more).

Not a feature I'd anticipate for launch, but that'd make for a cool addition down the line.

I would REALLY like that Devs could explain how the legacy bank is gonna work...

This x1000000000000000000000000000000000

If this means all bound items are transportable, I would like to factor that into loot distribution in operations now.

I personally think that's OP, but a clarification would be nice.

This x1000000000000000000000000000000000

If this means all bound items are transportable, I would like to factor that into loot distribution in operations now.

I personally think that's OP, but a clarification would be nice.

I very much doubt bound things are transportable. That would make invalidate the need for account wide unlock that generates additional income for them. Not that i wouldn't mind if they did forget this, but I doubt the EA overseers would miss such a detail.

I very much doubt bound things are transportable. That would make invalidate the need for account wide unlock that generates additional income for them. Not that i wouldn't mind if they did forget this, but I doubt the EA overseers would miss such a detail.

True, but not all items are unlockable using CC.

I guess they'll only allow unbound / bound to legacy items to be placed on legacy banks, just like the e-mail system.

BUT, until they say so, I'll keep my fingers crossed.... Hate to spend money to send ultimate gear to my alts using legacy armor. 418k to send all items (besides main /off-hand) is way too much

hey just for mats this would be great,I just hope they do not mess up with you needing a certain size place to be able to do certain things,and the free starters the 3 rooms ,is that per char or just 1 shot as it said 1.5 mill value,would hate to get one free ,then have to spend tons on money on alts,now we need to get cross servers gtn

I think I know what they mean by killing stuff to win furniture or trophies or what do you win by that. Probably if you kill Karagga the Unyielding you unlock that small Golden statue of him, if you kill Soa the Infernal One you get those Mind Traps and Rakata Statues, if you kill Kell Dragon as last boss in S&V you get a kell dragon skull on your wall and so on...

I think I know what they mean by killing stuff to win furniture or trophies or what do you win by that. Probably if you kill Karagga the Unyielding you unlock that small Golden statue of him, if you kill Soa the Infernal One you get those Mind Traps and Rakata Statues, if you kill Kell Dragon as last boss in S&V you get a kell dragon skull on your wall and so on...

Yes, that is the intention but i think with killing stuff i think they also mean, kill enough raghouls on taris and you would get a raghouls statue, well this is just me assuming stuff. I would like to have a Dread Master collection statue in my sith housing for my Sorc that is based of the idea of Dread Masters

Can anyone clarify this confusing matter to me:

If I'm a sub on May 11h, but the subscription ends at the beginning of June, will I still get the access to Galactic Strongholds on June 24 despite of being a preferred player then? I will certainly have the unlock of Stronghold with additional rooms and the titles, but I will need to sub again in June or not?

I think (admittedly, I could be reading it wrong) the answer to your question is that you have to be a subscriber from June 24 to July 28 to get early access during that time period. I view the Stronghold perks as being separate events.

-- Be a subscriber by April 2, get 500 bonus Cartel Coins.

-- Be a subscriber by May 4, get 1000 bonus Cartel Coins.

-- Be a subscriber by May 11, get free Nar Shaddaa Sky Palace and 3 additional rooms unlocked.

-- Subscriber early access begins June 24.

-- Preferred early access begins July 29.

-- Official launch is August. 2014.

I think eligibility for subscriber perks depends upon whether or not someone is a subscriber on/by that date.

Galactic Strongholds

What worries me is that it will completely instanced. This is the whole problem with our current ships, it just doesnt feel like your ship when everyone has access to the exact same ship and enter through the exact same hangar. I expect that the apartment buildings won't even have hallways, we will basically just hit the front door of the building and be taken to our apartment.

Now, with the current engine I'm not going to be gullible enough to assume that we would be able to enter apartments through a hallway with no loading times but there still has to be some sense of "this being my apartment" Will the apartments have different locations in the buildings and with different views? Stuff like that could make this an awesome project. So penthouses would be more expensive and at ground level you wouldnt have much of a view at all. There'd be vacancies and we could sell or trade with each other. Doorbells?

And legacy storage is long overdue so that's a REALLY nice addition. Just keep the bank prices reasonable, please.

Warning: Gigantic wall of text follows.

There's going to be at least a degree of instancing - consider how many people are on even a sparsely-populated server, and the space requirement pretty much demands it.

Having said that, I can see why they chose the planets they did, and not any of the others. Odds are that the housing pads are going to be accessed by speeders. Look at Dromund Kaas - hop the cantina speeder on the way to the Citadel, and look down into the steel and plasticrete canyons as you travel - it's huge. There's easily more than one possible speeder destination down there. Also, look about at the towers surrounding the market and some of the buildings around the Kaas City Expansion speeder pad - just because we can't access those areas on foot doesn't mean they won't see us using them, and Strongholds in those places makes perfect sense.

Now apply that same formula to either Nar Shadaa or Coruscant. Just look at all the dark, silent, and inaccessible speeder pads just sitting there. There's a lot of them, and these planets are freaking massive - the devs could expand the planets, and we'd never even know it until it was presented to us as a fait accompli.

What follows is guesswork - I don't claim to understand exactly how this is going to work: On the day Strongholds go live, you send your (let's say) smuggler to the Coruscant main speeder pad. One of the droids is the one you've expected to be there - the one that ferries you to the Old Galactic Market, the Black Sun docks, et cetera. That droid hasn't changed.

Next to him is a speeder droid of (hopefully) a different appearance or at least color. This droid sends you to entirely different speeder pads. How many speeder pads depends on how many different models of Stronghold the devs have created for the planet in question. The lowest pad is a 'slum' model - maybe not a dingy little rat hole like Watcher X has been living in the last couple of years in Shadow Town, but small - one room, maybe with a teeny-tiny alcove off to one side for trophies or a Murphy bed (or something).

Two rooms means a different speeder pad. And so on and so forth. Different models of housing means a different speeder pad. And with each different speeder pad are a number of access doors - and this is where 'instancing' comes in. You can't have a separate door for each and every player abode (and that doesn't even take planetary instancing into account), so one of two things happens.

One, the 'house instance' is selected when you click on the droid - then you fly to the speeder pad for your housing model, and go to your door - say that each speeder pad opens into 20 different doors with a nice hallway similar to, say, the Red Light District or Club Vertica - door 15 is your Stronghold entrance in that instance, and yours alone. If I recall correctly, this is how it's done in LotRO (I have avoided using housing in that game, so I am not really qualified to comment on how it works there).

Or, you fly to a universal speeder pad that opens onto those same 20 doors, and once you click on Door 15, you must select your Stronghold from a list of resident who also utilize Door 15 to get to their digs. This is the model used in EQ2, and it's more or less successful. For that game, anyways.

As I said, guesswork. But I'm inclined to believe there's going to be some degree of instancing involved, one way or the other. It seems to me that there's simply no getting around it.

On a separate note, I'm inclined to believe that each character will be getting their own 'free house'. Why? Look no further than EQ2. Take a look at some of the various housing options there, the choices are nothing short of amazing. You can have the standard two-room that everyone gets - a place that requires a paltry 5 silver a week to access, or you can go down the street to the other inn which has bigger rooms for a larger upkeep fee (or sometimes, the same inn via a different door, and so forth).

OR...you can go to Sony's version of the Market and buy housing. These houses have free upkeep, sure, but you can get them only one way, cold real-world dollars (or euros, sterling, whatever). Hobbit-holes, Arabia-style observatories, pasha's palaces, cliff overlook mansions, sylvan glades, haunted houses, steampunk airships, lighthouse on an island...and on and on.

And of course, you need to furnish all of these places. Crafters in-game can make some truly impressive stuff using harvested materials and loot items. But naturally, some of the best and most attractive furnishings are available from...you guessed it. The Market. And each dwelling one buys needs its own stuff, and player-made items just might not be what looks best in that particular dwelling. Giving each player character their own (generally unimpressive) starter pad, plus access to others, has given Sony a way to make money hand over fist on the virtual item system - it stands to reason that EA is going to take a similar approach. Granted, it's just my opinion, and as I said, guesswork, but I think it's fairly sound.

Edited by Aebrynis

Yes, that is the intention but i think with killing stuff i think they also mean, kill enough raghouls on taris and you would get a raghouls statue, well this is just me assuming stuff. I would like to have a Dread Master collection statue in my sith housing for my Sorc that is based of the idea of Dread Masters

Personally, I'm hoping they tie in some of the decorations with achievements. I mean, they have the system there, in place, already...

Having some rare flashpoint/ops boss drops as decorations would also be cool, but IMO they should have some sort of trophy at least for clears, and then something bigger/better/more impressive and/or different as the rare NiM drop. But I would be happy to see something like a stone or wood plaque/status for clearing the instance on SM, a bronze one for HM, and a platinum one for NiM (or something to that effect). Like everyone, I am waiting (im)patiently for the devs to release more info. :p

Personally, I'm hoping they tie in some of the decorations with achievements. I mean, they have the system there, in place, already...

Having some rare flashpoint/ops boss drops as decorations would also be cool, but IMO they should have some sort of trophy at least for clears, and then something bigger/better/more impressive and/or different as the rare NiM drop. But I would be happy to see something like a stone or wood plaque/status for clearing the instance on SM, a bronze one for HM, and a platinum one for NiM (or something to that effect). Like everyone, I am waiting (im)patiently for the devs to release more info. :p

Yeah in all honesty, this could easily be done. but yeah lets be (Im)patiently wating, hoping we see some more info on Guild Flag ships soon though.

Why the value difference between the pre-order Nar Shaddaa Sky Palace bonus and the early access cost of the Nar Shaddaa Sky Palace?

It is actually fairly simple. The base cost of the Nar Shaddaa Sky Palace is 250k Credits. The cost of the three additional rooms is what makes up the remaining 1.25 million that is a part of the pre-order bonus.

I'm a bit confused. I am a subscriber (have been since the beginning) and I don't understand what pre-order means to me? Can you explain it, please?

I'm a bit confused. I am a subscriber (have been since the beginning) and I don't understand what pre-order means to me? Can you explain it, please?

If you're a subscriber, you've already qualified for all the bonus stuff like extra coins and free Sky Palace and unlocked rooms, as long as you stay subscribed through the launch of the Housing stuff, through the dates mentioned.

If you're a subscriber, you've already qualified for all the bonus stuff like extra coins and free Sky Palace and unlocked rooms, as long as you stay subscribed through the launch of the Housing stuff, through the dates mentioned.

This. As a free expansion, the "pre-order" is just being a subscriber. Kinda a thank you for supporting the game, same as what happened with GSF

True, but not all items are unlockable using CC.

I guess they'll only allow unbound / bound to legacy items to be placed on legacy banks, just like the e-mail system.

BUT, until they say so, I'll keep my fingers crossed.... Hate to spend money to send ultimate gear to my alts using legacy armor. 418k to send all items (besides main /off-hand) is way too much

This is why we need appearance tabs, so our alts can use a set of legacy armor, but display a CM set.

Wow I just resubbed recently to get the lucky speeder thing a few days ago but that was bad timing since I didn't get it. Now it looks like I can get some early access to these instead. Very nice,now I'm glad I resubbed.

On other note,how did Dulfy reply to this thread so fast on the first page?!:eek:

Wow I just resubbed recently to get the lucky speeder thing a few days ago but that was bad timing since I didn't get it. Now it looks like I can get some early access to these instead. Very nice,now I'm glad I resubbed.

On other note,how did Dulfy reply to this thread so fast on the first page?!:eek:

Stealth ninja skills?