Stasie's Galactic Starfighter Guide (Ships, Components, Crew, Tips)

TrinityLyre

OMG please leave this thread as a guide. We don't need Kuci designing in here with hard shields, we don't need you guys discussing the latest PTR push! This is the best thread on the forum and will be read in its entirety by good and new players for a very long time. With no moderators to screen out the crap post, it is on you guys to keep this useful.

In what way?

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?p=7413735#post7413735

Here I made a thread with the changes!

Edited by Verain

At least this may open more build options for male bombers.

If the nerf goes live as it is, concussion will be for damage (220+ through shields) and interdiction for snare, while ion still does shield damage mostly exclusively with decent drain.

Great guide with useful info. I am even using some pointers from here to test out different builds :cool:

Nice to see my name for new pilot help, even if i did not put it up for this post. Must have gotten it from another one :p That being said, i am happy to help anybody who needs tips on builds, crew, etc... I used to do just that for hunters back in my "shall not name mmo" days. It was nice seeing "huntards" turn into hunters with my help and hopefully i can do the same for GSF :D

And when asking for help, please keep in mind that i suck on scouts :confused:

Edit: It would be great to sticky this thread

Edited by BattleDress

Please stop posting your PTR nonsense here Verain ;)

The new bomber can now use Interdiction Mine! ;) In all seriousness, I appreciate any contribution to the thread so long as it isn't trolling (there's the entire rest of the GSF forum for that, ha). I want this to be a one-stop shop for players!

Great guide with useful info. I am even using some pointers from here to test out different builds :cool:

Awesome! I'm glad you found it useful! :cool:

Nice to see my name for new pilot help, even if i did not put it up for this post.

I gave credit to the original helper thread and have built on this since, that's likely where it came from. :)

"shall not name mmo" days.

I spent way too much time in the "shall not name mmo" days on "the mmo that shall not be named." Then again, I spend too much time on Galactic Starfighter (and SWTOR).

It was nice seeing "huntards" turn into hunters with my help and hopefully i can do the same for GSF :D

Totally agree. I would love to see more helpful, positive players! Someone needs to put something useful on these forums, after all. Right?

Edit: It would be great to sticky this thread

Since there's so many mentions of it, I would suggest reporting the original post with a note about potentially stickying it. Or vote it up (if you liked it). I'd be surprised if moderators read these forums often. I would, of course, continue updating this.

In fact... I just did! I added my TEH name (and our teeny guild) to the helper list. Added a build for the new gunship to the Gunship section of the guide. I'll add the new bomber build once its components are actually solidified on the PTS. Bring pain and misery to the battle scouts, my brethren! :p

Edited by TrinityLyre

Galactic Starfighter

Components + Crew

• Interdiction Mine damage has been increased, but no longer has Shield Piercing.
  • Feedback Shield's damage has been increased and now correctly activates off of Primary Weapon attacks.
  • Buffed Fortress Shield to increase shield strength by 130%.
  • The Korrigan Turn is now unlockable on the Jurgoran Gunship.
  • The GSS-4Y Jurgoran and the SGS-S1 Condor can now properly upgrade their Retro Thrusters.

Most recent PTS changes. The new gunship has Retro Thrusters (but lost Barrel Roll as an option)! Add them to the bomber, zomg! ;) Unfortunately, the new bomber lost both drone options and now has three mines to choose from: Ion, Concussion and Interdiction. The new gunship could still use an armor component in lieu of the reactor or capacitor.

P.S.: Someone help me come up with new and interesting builds for these ships! :D

Edited by TrinityLyre

The new bomber I think would work best as a heavy fighter. The fact that he's guaranteed to have a mine really means that you'll likely go:

Heavies OR Quads / Concussion / Interdiction OR Concussion / Directional OR Overcharged / Power Dive / Double Turning OR Turning and Regen

This build would attempt to engage at mid range, like a strike fighter. It won't have the turning capabilities of the strikes and scouts, but unlike current bombers it has a missile break, and unlike current heavy fighter builds, it can drop mines. Scouts will be able to engage and burst as normal, but won't be able to have a turn fight at all. I suspect you'll want something you can boost or dive to in the event that you get swapped to, but this build should be a decent hybrid- not as fragile to missiles as bombers, not as fragile to scouts as strikes.

It remains to see whether it will be as effective as a more focused bomber- presumably not at holding a node, but maybe it will still have a strong role in the meta.

Do you think it would be a good idea to recommend how picking up ships and/or crew members for new players.

Like 2 shippers that want to get competitive say first 2 ships they should pick up are T1 Bomber and Gunships since they are both the cheapest and 2 of the best ships in game right now while also giving them an idea of what all 4 classes are like.

No... In fact they should begin by mastering the 2 stock ships.... Learning to fly a gunship or a bomber will keep a pilot from learning the good reflexes...

Agreed. I also kinda feel that the Type 1 stock ships are underestimated because they're stock (going with the traditional gamer assumption that if it's default equipment it's inherently worse than all the unlockable equipment). They're both very good starfighters in their own right if you take the time to learn how to fly them. IMO they also teach you about ship roles (assuming a pilot takes the time to figure out what ship roles are and doesn't just think that choosing between a strike and scout is purely aesthetic preference).

Agreed. I also kinda feel that the Type 1 stock ships are underestimated because they're stock (going with the traditional gamer assumption that if it's default equipment it's inherently worse than all the unlockable equipment). They're both very good starfighters in their own right if you take the time to learn how to fly them. IMO they also teach you about ship roles (assuming a pilot takes the time to figure out what ship roles are and doesn't just think that choosing between a strike and scout is purely aesthetic preference).

the ship roles was the reason behind the suggestion.. there are 4 ship roles not just 2.

the ship roles was the reason behind the suggestion.. there are 4 ship roles not just 2.

But if you can't dogfight fine, you'll be a crappy gunship like I can farm all day long in my nova.... And your bomber will just be another "I let the IA play while I AFK"

But if you can't dogfight fine, you'll be a crappy gunship like I can farm all day long in my nova.... And your bomber will just be another "I let the IA play while I AFK"

they will have gained 50k req on either Scout or strike by this time at least. Thus some games on those. and Dieing instantly to anything that looks at them funny means they arent going to really be learning anything in those ships for a while any way. At least with a bomber they can live for a while on a node and see whats going on and then swap back to a strike and figure it out more.

Obviously people reading this guide have likely taken the time to read components and such so at least we know they are trying to learn.

Fair enough. What I meant to get at is that it's my impression that newbies don't really grasp the difference between scouts and strikers. So I'm not sure whether recommending newbies buy a bomber or GS before they've grasped the difference between a scout and striker is advisable (especially considering that lack of such understanding will mean a newbie pilot won't know how to prioritize the threats an enemy striker or scout present to your bomber/GS).

Fair enough. What I meant to get at is that it's my impression that newbies don't really grasp the difference between scouts and strikers. So I'm not sure whether recommending newbies buy a bomber or GS before they've grasped the difference between a scout and striker is advisable (especially considering that lack of such understanding will mean a newbie pilot won't know how to prioritize the threats an enemy striker or scout present to your bomber/GS).

If they are reading stuff like this and reading components on their ships, I am sure they will get an idea pretty quick.

If the person isnt reading the guide they wont be told to buy those ships to begin with. If they are reading, I get the idea they would figure out the difference between Scout and Strike.

Besides the whole point of the reccomendation wasnt for them to exclusively play Bomber and GS. It was so they could have 4 ships 1 of each different class to try out and play. 2 Of them (the Bomber and GS) just happen to be the best sub-clas of their respective class.

So far I've introduced 2 people on TEH to GSF.... Miraluna and Windrota....

The first is currently gearing up her T1 strike for long range assault. She does pitiful damage but she can fly and survive rather well, more than most newbie can say. She will buy a bomber soon since she prefer support flying. Flying the stock ships and mastering one (She is only 2 or 3 upgrades shy from her mastered starguard) taught her how to fly. Sure she made poor decision with her Strike components but she is a fine pilot.

Wind is a more aggressive pilot perfectly suited for scouts. He is now trying to fly a Novadive and does rather well. When I first saw him he was whining how much impossible this game was, how ****** the baance were et ceatera. Now he is doing well.

My point is simple. Newbies must learn to fly the stck ships. They are well balanced and teach the basic. Beginning on a bomber will keep a new pilot from learning how to actually be evasive and begining on a gunship will keep a newbie from developping a good spatial awareness.

So far I've introduced 2 people on TEH to GSF.... Miraluna and Windrota....

The first is currently gearing up her T1 strike for long range assault. She does pitiful damage but she can fly and survive rather well, more than most newbie can say. She will buy a bomber soon since she prefer support flying. Flying the stock ships and mastering one (She is only 2 or 3 upgrades shy from her mastered starguard) taught her how to fly. Sure she made poor decision with her Strike components but she is a fine pilot.

Wind is a more aggressive pilot perfectly suited for scouts. He is now trying to fly a Novadive and does rather well. When I first saw him he was whining how much impossible this game was, how ****** the baance were et ceatera. Now he is doing well.

My point is simple. Newbies must learn to fly the stck ships. They are well balanced and teach the basic. Beginning on a bomber will keep a new pilot from learning how to actually be evasive and begining on a gunship will keep a newbie from developping a good spatial awareness.

they need to get 5k fleet req or 50k ship req before they can even purchase the 2 ships I am talking about.

That req they would have to get on the starter Stock ships. They will learn to fly there. The people you are talking about it stuck with it which is good, now they are branching out to new ship types which is good and exactly what I am suggesting. I never said "dont fly T1 Scout or Strike after you get the bomber or the GS" clearly that would be counter productive. The idea would be fly the scout and the strike by the time you have 50k req you have 1 ship with the minors mastered and the first 2 or 3 upgrades in everythign else, or 2 ships with with a couple upgrades in everything.

If you dont hold onto the grants you will find you have even more then this on ship req. The suggestion I am making has some one nearly master the stock ships before they purchase the 2 others and even then I again, am NOT telling people not to fly the original ships.

I just dont think its a bad suggestion to tell new players to buy the GS and then the Bomber when they can and get a feel for all 4 types of game play. Not "dont touch T1 strike or scout" but use all 4. And the people you are talking about it wouldnt matter what they bought.

They are willing to learn they are asking questions they are getting awnsers. Whether they did this on a bomber, a GS, a scout or a strike the ship they flew they would become good at simply because they have the drive to become good.

The drive matters more then what they fly. Flying a scout doesnt make some one all of a sudden amazing at GS or vice versa.

Edit: I think this is our impass, you seem to think that getting good at the first 2 ships will make you good in other ships, or that I am telling people to buy the GS and the BOMBER and fly nothing but the GS and the bomber. I do not believe flying the first 2 ships makes you better in a GS or in a bomber the play style is different. I am also NOT telling people 2 purchase these ships and then never fly anything else. The suggestion is for a feel for all 4 ship types. A scout that has played a GS has greater knowledge of how to shut down a GS same with a Strike. A GS pilot that has played a scout knows what to look for when they are closing on them. A Bomber that has played a strike gets the idea of how to avoid being locked on by a missile and vice versa a strike that has played a bomber has a better idea of how to finish that lock on the bomber.

The idea is to play all 4 not one exclusively master all 4 of them while working up comms to buy other ships like the T2 scout or T3 Strike while learning what all 4 types of ships are capable of and how to shut them down. A T1 scout of instance with Rocket pods having issues with a T1 Bomber, after playing one.... you may just see how in that T1 Scout you can take that bomber down.

Just know this isnt some "only fly GS or bomber" suggestion. Its learn to fly all the ships so that you know how to counter all the ships regardless of what you are flying suggestion.

Edited by tunewalker

Actually, If you are willing to sacrifice around 100 cc, it takes 2 or 3 matches to get 2500 fleet req ;)

And this is the problem, if you say to someone what to fly, they will try to get on that ship as fast as possible.

Remember, didnt tell them to fly, told them to purchase once they EARNED the fleet req :p.

Remember, didnt tell them to fly, told them to purchase once they EARNED the fleet req :p.

and beside... getting 1500 fleet (2500 - 500 from weekly - 500 form intro) take about 10 matches.... hardly enough to be good enough IMO... but yeah... once they earned their skills.... :p