Interfering in one's enjoyment of battle

JadenStar

Thing is, when I'm fighting a group of enemies they usually go down pretty quickly, even elites, so there is no time to ask the other player to stop. Also, I personally think the person doing the action that could cause conflict should ask first, but from your posts I take it you are not aware that the action of helping may be perceived as interference, depending on the player.

I am sorry if I came across as harsh.

Doesn't matter how harsh you seem or how harsh you are. There is nothing you can do to stop people "helping" you.

Edited by branmakmuffin

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've seen and witnessed a lot of players Interfering in other player's battles with bosses and mobs, with out asking if they need help or assistance.

Every one has their own style of game playing in a mmo, I will tell you All now, if you are not part of my group or I'm solo and you Interfere in combat battle with a mob or boss, Customer service will receive a ticket with your name on it for interfering.

Simple rule of thumb do not interfere in a players enjoyment of a battle, you will get burned... it his or her 's battle with a boss or mobs. that is why EA imposed the rule in the first place, do not interfere in the enjoyment of other player game play. simple put do not be a killjoy.

Term - Interfere is : To come between as so to be a hindrance.

On planetary quest battle with bosses can't be repeated or reset so if you interfere in a players game play you are breaking the Rules interfering is just that.

and customer service will think you are, to put it bluntly an idiot.

There are two sides to this.

(1) Some people like to help people.

(2) Some don't want the help.

But what we haven't taken into consideration someone might be trying to solo a boss or something to see if they can do it.

My best friend is like this. She sets goals in the game to do something, like soloing the heroic in black hole or sololing the CZ Lab flashpoint. You may not understand why people do this but it is something they may want to do and unless they are down in health and the boss is still in very high health we may want to consider this when we decide to help.

My best friend will not get mad but she has to go find this boss or goal again and do it again. If you can maybe ask them if they need help. Most of the time you will get a yes or no.

Yeah, I sure appreciated the person who basically stood right in front of me while the boss killed me when the boss was almost dead and didn't do **** to help me. I so hate that kind of help...

I'll keep that in mind everyone I see from now on. If someone is about to die and I'm right nearby, I won't interfere with anyone's playstyle and just let them die. I'm sure they'll appreciate that. :rolleyes:

Edited by Nickious

People need to grow thicker skins if they get so offended at people helping them (NOT "hindering" them in any way, shape, or form) they want to report them to CS (and raise ticket response times for legitimate issues).

Just cause someone helps you kill a mob doesn't mean they're saying you're weak or small or whatever fool thing you have in your head that is causing you to take it as an insult.

I've seen and witnessed a lot of players Interfering in other player's battles with bosses and mobs, with out asking if they need help or assistance.

It's a MMO. If you want to solo, play Mass Effect.

Have you played Elder Scrolls Online? This stuff happens there all the time, because everyone who touches a mob gets full XP and full loot for the kill.

It's not your personal world, it's not your personal mob, and I take it that you play on a PvE server - because on a PvP server you'd see players attacking you as you're fighting champion mobs, causing you to fail the fight and die. Now how's that for interference?

Ganks during world boss fights were so common and so effective - if the gankers finish off the boss, your raid has failed due to the respawn timer - that it's probably the main reason they had to add the Drouk Hunter system to Dreadtooth, to make it less prone to ganking, or at least make ganks suicidal.

You would probably say these world boss fight gankers are d-cks. I think I agree, there's fair PvP and there's exploiting game mechanics for grief. But you know what's worse than what they're doing? What you are doing - reporting players for being nice and doing what they're expected to do on a carebear server.

Edited by Heal-To-Full

Every one has their own style of game playing in a mmo, I will tell you All now, if you are not part of my group or I'm solo and you Interfere in combat battle with a mob or boss, Customer service will receive a ticket with your name on it for interfering.

Simple rule of thumb do not interfere in a players enjoyment of a battle, you will get burned... it his or her 's battle with a boss or mobs. that is why EA imposed the rule in the first place, do not interfere in the enjoyment of other player game play. simple put do not be a killjoy.

Term - Interfere is : To come between as so to be a hindrance.

On planetary quest battle with bosses can't be repeated or reset so if you interfere in a players game play you are breaking the Rules interfering is just that.

yah let us know how submitting those tickets goes. You're deluded if you think CS is going to do anything...as someone coming in and helping kill a mob is in no way breaking any ToS.

and I think you need a better comprehension on what interfering actually is...as someone else stated...someone coming in and healing you or your companion or helping to kill mob(s) faster is the opposite of hindering there spanky.

If you don't want anyone to help you, then... whenever you enter the zone spam a bunch of random stuff using all caps in general, all players present in zone will most likely /ignore you and 9/10 times you'll be left alone. If you want to be left alone entirely, go to fleet and follow the same procedure for 14 days straight (give or take a few days depending on server and time of day) and the same outcome will happen.

On rep characters, I've helped imp pcs, and vice versa. I've also watched people die and been yelled at. This isn't the type of game where your play-style is immediately obvious to passers-by. As it turns out, people try to help one another in these games out of kindness. If you are absolutely certain that you want no aid... maybe you should find like minded players and start a guild named:

<Don't Help Me>

or

<I Play Alone>

or

<Just Let Me Die or I'll Start a Thread on the Forums>

In any case the only players you're reaching right now are more than likely not on your server so the message is missing its target audience.

Seriously, list your character names and your server and I'll be sure not to help.

Best of luck to ya.

What story-related choice do you not get to make if you were killing a group of enemies and someone comes along and helps you kill that group of enemies?

What if I want to take the enemie alive for the bounty (for lightside points) and you jump in and kill him before I can freeze him? Wouldn't that interfere in my decision? :)

Just my personal observation playing all 8 classes:

You don't want to have people interfere with your battles? Roll a Sith character. I've noticed most of the helping happens on the Republic side--makes sense, I suppose.

Hell, I've seen Sith characters actually do the opposite and wait while another player clears through an area of enemies before just waltzing in there over the corpses of the enemies the other guy killed, go in, do objective, and leave.

What if I want to take the enemie alive for the bounty (for lightside points) and you jump in and kill him before I can freeze him? Wouldn't that interfere in my decision? :)

Bringing in a bounty alive has nothing to do with light side points. Those are awarded by your use of the drink server on the shady characters and by your dialog choice with the informant. Now maybe you want it for the achievement, but that's just the way the cookie crumbles.

Edited by branmakmuffin

I test and tweak my gear by fighting Elites (mainly the H2 on Oricron) cause the ship dummies don't represent a true fight. When I do this I want to do it solo to gauge the gear better and when some hero jumps in to "help" it can get annoying. I get and appreciate that people want to help but don't hide behind the "dude this is a MMO, I can kill your mobs whenever I feel like it" attitude because that is not productive. Gen chat is always full of people who need help so go to them, not someone who is clearly doing their own thing. It's common courtesy and common sense.

Bringing in a bounty alive has nothing to do with light side points. Those are awarded by your use of the drink server on the shady characters and by your dialog choice with the informant. Now maybe you want it for the achievement, but that's just the way the cookie crumbles.

But that's my point exactly: If someone is after that achievement, it still means an interference! Quests like the bounty missions are a typical case where people eager to help others out should be very careful about not interfering in the other player's final goal (in this case: to take the prisoner alive).

Personally, for me it always depends on the situation whether I help others or want help myself: For example, doing dailies on CZ-198 is much easier and takes much less time if people group up or otherwise help eachother and cooperate, since there is (mostly) only one goal everyone has: To reach the end to get the reputation and basic comm's. For example, Yesterday I screwed up the fight against a mob on CZ-198 and allowed that probe droid to alert everyone and their grandmother to my presence, so that two dozen mob foes, from weak to golden, were storming at me. Then a Marauder player came to my rescue and helped me defeat the 4 mobs I managed to pull; and although he couldn't prevent me from dying, I still thanked him for helping me out.

But outside of pure daily areas, it gets more complex and I tend to first try to assess the situation before jumping in: Is that player currently losing their battle? Is he outnumbered and won't defeat the boss and his aides if I don't do something?

In any case however, if I intervene I try first to help by healing the player (if I'm an appropriate healing class) or by stunning one of the mob enemies he's currently not fighting (to remove one flank from his struggle); and only when it's clear that he's not going to make it without me, I actively attack his enemies and help him bring them down.

Unfortunatelly, playstyles in this (and other online games) vary from person to person: Ever since I started playing SWTOR, I got yelled at for helping, I got yelled at for not helping, I even got yelled at for healing someone and saving them from certain death. You can't please everyone, so I try to treat others like I would like to be treated in that situation.

LOL. Go ahead, report it. I'm sure the same people at Customer Service that punish the PvPers who gank people trying to fight world bosses will inflict the same punishment on the players that fight a mob you are fighting without first getting your permission.

Which punishment is, of course, no punishment at all. Seriously, did you just not even try to do the Gree heroic?

Outside of an instance, it's not your damn mob, monkey boy.

You don't want other people helping you kill it, learn to kill it faster. :p

The existence of certain demographics in this game interferes with my enjoyment in this game and in life, but I don't go reporting it willy nilly. Only when they've pushed me too far then I'll seek righteous vengeance. Stop being a little pansy.

Righteous vengeance? Um... ok. Backs away slowly.

Well if this thread has taught me anything it's be more careful who you help in game. Not like I want to get reported or anything. I don't know if that's a good thing really, as it discourages cooperation in a game that actively encourages it.

For the record, I've seen posts about being introverted in here. I'm actually a little antisocial sometimes in real life, and don't tend to want to group up with people in this game. But I understand that it's a MMO and I have to deal with other players.

I do think it's completely inappropriate to report people for helping you in a fight, and if you want to have absolutely no contact with any other player, then you may need to find a single-player game.

Some of the best moments I've had in this game is when a complete stranger sees I'm in trouble, and comes to my aid.

If my comp pulled half the room, or it was my own stupidity, or for what ever reason: when someone helps me I am grateful and always thank whomever helped me.

I often interfere in battles - when I'm going out with my healer.

Especially during Bounty Contract Week.

Another thing is when someone wants help, and I'm willing to help - but the levels are too diverse. With my level 43 Healer I had to heal someone with level 39 while he or she was doing a kingpin fight.

After being defeated I decided that we might split the group again, because the contract target is always like the highest level in the group ... And so wen just split, I healed, let my companion decimate the adds, and that's it.

What I never liked, though, was me playing a low-level character who never got the chance to carbonize an contract target because some 55 was faster in killing than I could respond.

On rep characters, I've helped imp pcs, and vice versa. I've also watched people die and been yelled at. This isn't the type of game where your play-style is immediately obvious to passers-by. As it turns out, people try to help one another in these games out of kindness. If you are absolutely certain that you want no aid... maybe you should find like minded players and start a guild named:

<Don't Help Me>

or

<I Play Alone>

or

<Just Let Me Die or I'll Start a Thread on the Forums>

Thank you for a much needed laugh :) Cheers!

Hell, I've seen Sith characters actually do the opposite and wait while another player clears through an area of enemies before just waltzing in there over the corpses of the enemies the other guy killed, go in, do objective, and leave.

I see it on the Republic side as well. If it is a smuggler, it's a good RP. Makes me laugh at my honorable Jedi who is helped to keep up with her vow of poverty. :) Honestly, it's a game. Easy does it.

Edited by DomiSotto

Personally, it offends me when I'm trying to drive somewhere (in the real world) and all these other people around me also want to drive somewhere. They get in my way. Can't they just stay the bleep off the roads, so I can get where I want to go?

When I'm playing my light side Consular, he's a do-gooder. If he can help, he will. That's how LS Jedi roll. It adds to my enjoyment of the game to do so. If my enjoyment of the game interferes with your enjoyment of the game, you are free to tell me so, just as you're free to honk at me if my driving interferes with yours. But don't honk at me simply because I'm driving. I have as much right to be on the road as you do. And if you assume everyone has the same goal and outlook as you, you're gonna have a bad time.

Basically that's how an MMO is like real life. There will be people in both who don't share your goals, and who don't give a fleep if you're offended by their existence. In the "real" SW universe, people might come along and help you fight, even if you didn't ask for help. Others might come along and challenge you to combat. Consider it part of the SW MMO experience.

How about you get over your desperate need to help people who don't want to get your help? Does it hurt you to ask first?

Also, no, I don't treat them the same, but both behaviours are intrusive and unwelcome for me.

I'm happy playing the way I do, I can assure you I do not need another strategy. This whole argument has become moot because we just keep repeating the same arguments over and over again.

I can guarantee you, I understand your point of view, but as noble as it may sound, to me, it's unwelcome if you interefere in my battles with no good reason.

I don't care what you think of my playstyle, I just ask you to respect my personal space when I'm questing.

What if my play style is to help strangers, and I do that by helping random people in an MMO. By not letting me help you, you are interfering with how I enjoy the game. How dare you!

Customer service will receive a ticket with your name on it for interfering.

that is why EA imposed the rule in the first place

Which rule would that be? Did they add a "don't help other people" rule to the EULA that I didn't hear about?

OP if you want people to add you to their ignore list, which you clearly do, it would be helpful if you included your server and all character names in your post. Then we can all shun you like you deserve.

But that's my point exactly:

No, your point was that it was for light side points.

If someone is after that achievement, it still means an interference! Quests like the bounty missions are a typical case where people eager to help others out should be very careful about not interfering in the other player's final goal (in this case: to take the prisoner alive).

Or what will happen if they're not very careful? As I said, it can be a minor problem, but it's a mutli-player game. Deal with it.

Unfortunatelly, playstyles in this (and other online games) vary from person to person: Ever since I started playing SWTOR, I got yelled at for helping, I got yelled at for not helping, I even got yelled at for healing someone and saving them from certain death. You can't please everyone, so I try to treat others like I would like to be treated in that situation.

I generally don't help. Someone's character dies because they bit off more than they can chew? Too bad, so sad. It's just a game.

I test and tweak my gear by fighting Elites (mainly the H2 on Oricron) cause the ship dummies don't represent a true fight. When I do this I want to do it solo to gauge the gear better and when some hero jumps in to "help" it can get annoying. I get and appreciate that people want to help but don't hide behind the "dude this is a MMO, I can kill your mobs whenever I feel like it" attitude because that is not productive. Gen chat is always full of people who need help so go to them, not someone who is clearly doing their own thing. It's common courtesy and common sense.

Since you can't do anything to stop it, you might as well just accept it and deal with it. Or vent your impotent rage to uncaring heavens. It's all good.

Edited by branmakmuffin