Big Announcement

arunav

What do folks think the year-end announcement will be?

Since the team was stated as roughly the same size, I'm doubtful it's a larger expansion to be seen in 2015.

What are some other possibilities?

Looking forward to the new planet at least...

Well, theoretically speaking, 3.0 "might" hit around end of the year (the numbers would add would to that). I suppose the "GSF in scope" expansion might be the 2.8, "the biggest patch ever".

It is supposed to be centered around the Rep vs Imp war again, as are all updates supposed to this year. More, I cannot say...

well there are supposed to be 2 expansions, and 2.8 is supposed to be the largest update ever released so something is coming

I assumed that was the new planet (or at least was hoping). A lot of players are going to take a break if the next real expansion is at year's end.

As far as update numbers adding up to 3.0, 2.0 didn't work that way, so no reason to assume the upcoming level cap increase must.

Wow, so much misunderstanding from a clearly worded announcement. In 2014, there will be two digital expansions, one similar to ROTHC and one similar to GSF. Then, about a year from now, a major announcement is coming about the next phase of the game. Why they chose to announce they will be making an announcement 11+ months early is beyond me, but that announcement will relate to something happening in 2015, aka the year of the new movies. So that's when we could get something shocking.

No sense speculating now since we have two digital expansions before that announcement is even made.

Wow, so much misunderstanding from a clearly worded announcement. In 2014, there will be two digital expansions, one similar to ROTHC and one similar to GSF. Then, about a year from now, a major announcement is coming about the next phase of the game. Why they chose to announce they will be making an announcement 11+ months early is beyond me, but that announcement will relate to something happening in 2015, aka the year of the new movies. So that's when we could get something shocking.

No sense speculating now since we have two digital expansions before that announcement is even made.

Link to the announcement being in 2015? I recall reading something about it at year's end...

The bigger surprise for me, would be a renewed version of the game engine, because the swtor team always says

no non nonnonononono... we dont speak, we dont do, technical problems, resources, nonononono... so MAYBE if they could improve the engine a bit, would be nice, for less technical problems.

But as far as I read, their will be NO MORE class, because as they "again" said, it takes them allot of resources.

SPOILERS bellow and some bad mouth video

Swtor team reminds me Miyamoto " Please understand".... By the way, lets add some color into the threat... Have you seen the new parody for Nintendo direct? The same applies to swtor team (nononono)...

Edited by Oyranos

What do folks think the year-end announcement will be?

Since the team was stated as roughly the same size, I'm doubtful it's a larger expansion to be seen in 2015.

What are some other possibilities?

Looking forward to the new planet at least...

1 of 3 possibilities, IMO, in no particular order of likelihood:

1) Bifurcation of the faction story arcs to include some class story progression. Not to the extent we saw from 1-50, but enough to shift gears on the faction arcs and then reconverge back to faction arcs afterwards.

2) A new race, or....perhaps 2 new races at the same time.

3) Extension of the levels another 5, or 10 levels, with a redo of the talent trees accordingly.

Could be all of the above for all we know.

There is no reason to believe that there will be a big year-end announcement, unless I missed something.

They said that we would be gaining a new story arc (faction) beginning with 2.7.. that would unfold through the year and culminating in a big announcement in the later part of the year.

Link to the announcement being in 2015? I recall reading something about it at year's end...

From the developer roadmap http://www.swtor.com/info/news/news-article/20140203

" initiating a new storyline that will span updates across the entire year until its galaxy-shaking finale"

"We reserve the right to adjust our plans based on bad reasons like Snow Days in Austin(!) or good reasons like your feedback, but our current plan is to deliver all of the above to you in 2014. "

"•June 10th: Game Update 2.8"

"we are moving to a 9 week cadence for the major content updates"

Counting 9 week cycles from June 10th we get August 12th, October 14th & December 16th. So if everything goes to plan, we're likely to wrap up the current storyline on December 16th based on the above article's guidelines.

The statement "will span updates across the entire year" indicates that they're planning the storyline to end on the update currently PENCILED in for December 16th, although we all know there is a reasonable chance of small delays based on them putting that disclaimer right on the roadmap. That's perfectly normal.

Combine that with the original statement of "Starting in Game Update 2.7 is the beginning of a story arc that will go throughout the rest of this year. The conclusion of that story arc is going to be EPIC, and lead into a big announcement." This statement was made at the Phoenix cantina tour so it's not anywhere in writing by Bioware, but here's a transcript from that speech: http://ootinicast.com/2014/02/community-cantina-phoenix/

So, the current penciled in plan would be for them to drop a major announcement after the December 16th update, and likely a few weeks after so that people can play the end-of-storyline content and not have a major spoiler in whatever the announcement is. So you can easily round it off already to be coming in 2015. If it sneaks into 2014, we're likely talking by a couple of days.

They said that we would be gaining a new story arc (faction) beginning with 2.7.. that would unfold through the year and culminating in a big announcement in the later part of the year.

Can you show me where they said there will be an announcement? It doesn't say that in the roadmap post as far as I can see.

On a side note; Since the Republic has gained the upper hand so far, kind of "New hope" style, I'm betting in that expansion, the Empire will come back "Empire Strikes Back" style.

My prediction:

The Empire fights and takes Kuat Drive Yards. This enables the Empire to make a hard push to invade a new key Republic world. Perhaps Dantooine. Perhaps Kashykk. Either way, the Empire invades and loses, is driven off and the Republic pushes deep into Imperial territory, perhaps even going so far as to threaten Korriban and/or Dromuund Kaas.

And then the Emperor wakes up.

1 of 3 possibilities, IMO, in no particular order of likelihood:

1) Bifurcation of the faction story arcs to include some class story progression. Not to the extent we saw from 1-50, but enough to shift gears on the faction arcs and then reconverge back to faction arcs afterwards.

Sounds like a no-brainer to me. Original launch had class stories from 1-50 and the faction-specific Bonus Quests that many people skip the first, not just second+ times through. Makeb was faction only, and has got a lot of grief (even though the story itself was, I thought, at least Bonus Mission quality).

So making a few class quests and weaving them into a faction arc actually sounds better than completely separate class/bonus missions.

While the thread is purely speculation, and hopes; I think we can all agree that Bioware is excited about their announcement just by the way they advertised it. This can lead us to believe that it can range from an extension of current content, new integrated systems, or a variety of the two. By the sounds of it, we will have hints of what the big announcement will be as we play through the new content in 2.7, 2.8, 2.9, etc. However, even that is pure speculation.

At any rate, I look forward to trying to figure out what it could be over the coming months as I'm sure the rest of you will too. :D