sub numbers?

henrybreakers

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

just wondering how many people are currently subbed to TOR. from what i hear sub numbers have dropped since launch but they are now pretty stable thanks to f2p being introduced which is great given my love for the game

Sub numbers don't matter anymore, to be honest. They've said that they have about a million people who play regularly and about ten million players who play semi-regularly.

They've posted that they've made about $139 million on the micro-transaction front(the Cartel Market), and about 85 million off of subs.

It's a profitable business, despite a rocky start.

They've posted that they've made about $139 million on the micro-transaction front(the Cartel Market), and about 85 million off of subs.

That was in the last year, right? Which would put them in the area of around 47k subs, give or take depending on how many of them were subbed consistently for a year.

That was in the last year, right? Which would put them in the area of around 47k subs, give or take depending on how many of them were subbed consistently for a year.

They haven't stated what their sub numbers are, but your math is bad.

Doing the math results in them having a UNIFORM 472k subs per month over the last year. That's not assuming the numbers jumped up or down due to content releases.

Just wondering why you care. If you like the game, it doesn't really matter how many others do.

Curiousity? Who knows. As long as there enough players to do be able to do the content I want to, I don't particularly care about sub numbers either.

Sub numbers don't matter anymore, to be honest. They've said that they have about a million people who play regularly and about ten million players who play semi-regularly.

Ten, million? What? How? Last year May they said that 2.3 million F2P accounts have been created since the launch of F2P. How on earth did that number increase by 500% in 8 months?

When did they state these numbers?

47k? Really? Your calculator's broken. And that number is not even the sub revenue, that's the cash shop and Expansion packs and what not revenue.

Sub revenue is 70 million apparently. Assuming on average that many sub for $12 a month, many others do for $15 a month, and almost all of them got a free month's sub before 2.5, that's about 400k-450k subbers.

I seriously dunno how you get exactly a tenth of the actual answer. Forgot to put one zero in your 139000000? ;P

Going with a dead simple calc that ignores a ton of factors ==> $85x10^6 / ($15 per month * 12 months) = ~472,222. So, the money that they generated would be the equivalent of having about 472K subs at $15 per month for the duration of a year, assuming of course that the $85m gross figure is accurate. So, I'm thinking you just missed a '2' on your "47_K"

Anyway, I'm having fun, so I'm subbed. I would never spend a penny on the cartel market, though. I have no issues paying a monthly fee for a service (keeping servers running, bug fixes, adding content). That's a real thing to me. But paying real dollars for a virtual item...let's just say that if everybody was like me, F2P would never work.

Edited by teclado

If they are actually seeing profit, why not increase incentive to be a subscriber, instead of just the trivial stuff. And if they are seeing profit, then why haven't we seen a true expansion yet, instead of these lame content patches? The game had the first unique fully voiced story for all classes and companions. If they brought out a true expansion then some of the subscribers would probably return just for that. And make it just for subscribers. It gives incentive.

I can't stop laughing.

You know, I hear SWTOR's phlogiston numbers aren't that great, either. Maybe somebody should check the servers' humors.

If they are actually seeing profit, why not increase incentive to be a subscriber, instead of just the trivial stuff. And if they are seeing profit, then why haven't we seen a true expansion yet, instead of these lame content patches? The game had the first unique fully voiced story for all classes and companions. If they brought out a true expansion then some of the subscribers would probably return just for that. And make it just for subscribers. It gives incentive.

Curious what you mean by "true expansion" vs. "content patches"? ROTHC brought increased level cap, new playing areas, new raids. GSF added a whole new type of gameplay. They're more than just content doled out piecemeal.

By "true expansion" do you mean a continuation of your PC's story? I'd get behind that, as well as expanded companion stories.

Your math is bad, and you should feel bad :i_mad:

85mil from sub fees (approx 14 USD) from last year (12 months)

85 / 12 / 14 * 1 000 000 = 505*952 subscribers (approximate number)

I care because, I don't want the game I love to be shut down because of not enough subscribers.

As long as there is money coming, the game will develop, it does not matter where the money comes from

Your math is bad, and you should feel bad :i_mad:

85mil from sub fees (approx 14 USD) from last year (12 months)

85 / 12 / 14 * 1 000 000 = 505*952 subscribers (approximate number)

As long as there is money coming, the game will develop, it does not matter where the money comes from

505? Now I'm confused.

How did one person get 472k and another got 505k?

Which is the right answer?

505? Now I'm confused.

How did one person get 472k and another got 505k?

Which is the right answer?

God dammit, where did that asterisk came from? I feel bad

Assuming my revenue from subs number is correct, it is 505952

Edited by Aries_cz

Not sure it matters to much what the sub numbers are or even how many FTP people there are. All that matters is the money being made by the game. A recent article in gamer headlines made SWTOR globally the 8th highest grossing FTP game of 2013. We are all aware of how much money was sunk into this game before launch but that is gone now, it's history. As a company with shareholders what matters from year to year is it's profit performance. The current size of the team and the amount of money generated would suggest a large profit is being made currently by SWTOR. As long as that continues we will see new updates, new content and a lot of cartel items.

While i agree that for you or I sub numbers shouldn't even be a concern. Our concerns as players, as far as the numbers go, should be focused on simply, Do i have people on my server to play with.

But

I have a strong feeling that the Bioware studio probably doesn't see thing the way you or i do / should and i believe they have shown us that over the course of the last several months. Back in what was it august / september they offered RotHC free with a sub. My personal belief was that this was done in order to boost sub numbers, what other reason could it have been, it wasn't / isn't given to free to play or preferred, only with a sub.

Also

GSF, if you have / had a sub by a certain date ( to lazy to look for it ) you qualified to get into the action BEFORE prefered or F2P. Again an effort to boost sub numbers. I can't think ( off the top of my head ) of any buisness putting effort into something they have no care for , can you ?

Now why do i beleieve they put an effort into boosting sub numbers over the fall. I would guess around novemberish they submitted their budget proposal to EA. With the CM doing well ( thumbs up i guess- no problems with an ala carte store but still despise RNG packs ) if sub numbers showed an upward trend their proposal might be found to be a bit more palatable by the EA bean counters, and if subs are low their budget for fiscal year 15 might be a little lower than they wanted which will in turn affect US the player base. Holy crap i guess sub numbers may just matter to us the players and just negated what i said at the top of the post. Oh well i guess even things you may not think matter to you you do matter, you just sometimes don't see how its all intertwined.